Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Lprsti99 posted:

That must have been neat! Did Serr mention whether or not he's ever going to actually finish Overgrowth?

Nope -- he didn't say. I bet you could bug him on Twitter, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I hadn't heard about Shattered Planet or Moon Hunters, mostly because I hate kickstarter/early access vidja games; have either of these come out yet?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

CountingWizard posted:

I hadn't heard about Shattered Planet or Moon Hunters, mostly because I hate kickstarter/early access vidja games; have either of these come out yet?

Shattered Planet is about a year old now. It's great at what it does, has a cool aesthetic, and handles the food clock by having the dungeon corrupt behind you-- saves auto explore hassles too! Certainly worth a look.

Moon Hunters is still in the works. It was exciting to talk to her about it over lunch, mostly we just traded dev stories and talked about the ups and downs of Kickstarting a game.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

So I finally picked up Curse of the Necrodancer this weekend. Man, why haven't I snagged this before? It's great! (I'm terrible at it, but I managed to clear zone 1 eventually...)

I feel like it'd be perfect on iOS, too. iPads wouldn't need much tweaking (at least as far as displays/play. I'm sure the coding transition would be horribly painful), but iPhone you'd probably need to tone down the items somehow.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

CountingWizard posted:

Shattered Planet was released on iOS originally I think. I remember it being decent for that platform, but it was much simpler than Crawl/Nethack. I liked it enough I eventually removed it from my phone for the sake of my productivity.

Edit: Moon Hunters looks really promising.

Edit2: It looks loving fantastic. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kitfoxgames/moon-hunters-a-myth-weaving-rpg

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 9, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
What good are cellphone games that need music? I guess you can wear your headphones while pooping but eh...

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Helical Nightmares posted:

Shattered Planet was released on iOS originally I think. I remember it being decent for that platform, but it was much simpler than Crawl/Nethack. I liked it enough I eventually removed it from my phone for the sake of my productivity.

Edit: Moon Hunters looks really promising.

Edit2: It looks loving fantastic. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kitfoxgames/moon-hunters-a-myth-weaving-rpg

Ah. That would be why then. I can't stand cell phone games, even good ones; and this is coming from someone who was inseparable from his game boy from 1989 until 2002.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Anyone playing Siralim?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSWKIt0mw1Q

Roguelike elements that are optional and can be enabled at the start include permadeath, reincarnation (if a creature is dead at the end of the battle rather than it healing up it is reborn as a different creature albeit at a lower level), random creature tiers (may mess up game balance?).

The video shows it recently got a patch and better graphics, I really enjoy the kind of fantasy/pokemon feel to it especially as each creature has it's own unique perk. I think one of my early favourites is the Gimp Mummy, when it dies it unwraps the bandages to be any random creature at half health for the rest of the battle. If you use it to provoke at the start you get a fair meat shield then a chance at some interesting/useful perks if the enemies manage to kill it.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 13, 2015

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

monsters following me around like in dragon warrior monsters is extremely my poo poo

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Awesome! posted:

monsters following me around like in dragon warrior monsters is extremely my poo poo

Also if you wanna see how your poo poo it could be try the Demo.
http://www.siralim.com/download.php

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Geokinesis posted:

Anyone playing Siralim?

Roguelike elements that are optional and can be enabled at the start include permadeath, reincarnation (if a creature is dead at the end of the battle rather than it healing up it is reborn as a different creature albeit at a lower level), random creature tiers (may mess up game balance?).

The video shows it recently got a patch and better graphics, I really enjoy the kind of fantasy/pokemon feel to it especially as each creature has it's own unique perk. I think one of my early favourites is the Gimp Mummy, when it dies it unwraps the bandages to be any random creature at half health for the rest of the battle. If you use it to provoke at the start you get a fair meat shield then a chance at some interesting/useful perks if the enemies manage to kill it.

I don't think this is really a roguelike, it's more like a JRPG.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Yeah I tried it out after someone mentioned it in relation to my idea of permadeath pokemon type games, and from what I played it didn't even have permadeath, and when all your monsters did die, you just get teleported back to the main room or some poo poo and you get to play some more with all your monsters back to being alive. Also after every battle everything gets healed up. So I mean it wasn't really what I was looking for, but others may find it fun.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Skwee posted:

Yeah I tried it out after someone mentioned it in relation to my idea of permadeath pokemon type games, and from what I played it didn't even have permadeath, and when all your monsters did die, you just get teleported back to the main room or some poo poo and you get to play some more with all your monsters back to being alive. Also after every battle everything gets healed up. So I mean it wasn't really what I was looking for, but others may find it fun.

You can set it to be Hardcore where death is permanent, along with other things like not reviving dead monsters will make them lose xp and reincarnate into a random different monster.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

packetmantis posted:

No it's very much a roguelike once you start playing it. It just has monster-catching and base-building elements. I highly recommend the phone version.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Awesome! posted:

Another one of these I tried out was Demon http://demon.ferretdev.org/. It's like a SMT: Nocturne style where you fight but have up to 3 monsters with you with more in stock. They can teach you skills and they teach skills to each other etc. It's still early and it needs more polish/features but it might be worth following.

Current version download: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-sx_4eW-B5hWnhNZlRPclZLeUU&usp=drive_web

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Geokinesis posted:

Anyone playing Siralim?

What is this, 2014?

:cmon:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

madjackmcmad posted:

What is this, 2014?

:cmon:

Hmm, how DO you define a roguelike?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, I'd thought about recommending Demon alongside Siralim back when those recs were sought, but the Mega-update for Siralim seemed far closer in time than the next one for Demon---said next Demon update also looking to be a rather robust one that should move it several steps forward and steadier steps at that.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

I played a little Siralim last night chilling in a hotel. Seems pretty fun though you really have to drag your rear end through a winding tutorial. The dungeon floors are just these sort of big zones with interactable objects laid out at random, not sure how long that will stay interesting. We'll see!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

packetmantis posted:

Skwee posted:

Yeah I tried it out after someone mentioned it in relation to my idea of permadeath pokemon type games, and from what I played it didn't even have permadeath, and when all your monsters did die, you just get teleported back to the main room or some poo poo and you get to play some more with all your monsters back to being alive.

Geokinesis posted:

Enabling all the options makes it pretty much roguelike, (excluding the lacking gender options) as unless you've got enough cores and effort to raise another copy of the creature you lost you'll have to find out how to use your reincarnated one in a team.

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012
This year's 7drl contest is coming to an end.

You can see the games here: http://7drl.org/

The 7drl games are usually quite experimental and innovative (Hoplite, 868-Hack...)

A Roguelike mixed with Katamari? Hell yeah, check out Dumuzid, my current favorite

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Still have a couple little artifacts in my automaticwalltileenator, but mostly there. Should have all the fancy walls in tomorrow!

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Unormal posted:

Still have a couple little artifacts in my automaticwalltileenator, but mostly there. Should have all the fancy walls in tomorrow!

Damnit let me give you money to play the beta!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Damnit let me give you money to play the beta!

Sproggi Mobile + Sproggi 1.2 /w Savage + Caves of Qud early access should be going live around April 15th. (Though the precise date isn't nailed down yet)

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
There is a big update for ToME that just came out yesterday I think.
http://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2015/03/news/tales-majeyal-130-aka-dust-dust-released

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
For what it's worth, I bought my dad an ipad for his birthday and preloaded a bunch of free games onto it and Shattered Planet is his favorite.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Skwee posted:

http://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2015/03/news/tales-majeyal-130-aka-dust-dust-released

I'm enjoying the Wyrmic revamp.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Incidentally ToME and DLCs are 75% off on steam for ~40h

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Skwee posted:

Patch posted:

Sun Ray description used to say it's a beam. It never was a beam. It's a ray from the sky, not from you. You're not the sun. Unless you take that prodigy, but even in that case, it's still from the sky.

This changes my entire paladin worldview!

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Kanfy posted:

This changes my entire paladin worldview!

Your faith and belief transcends logic and reason.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Bogart posted:

For what it's worth, I bought my dad an ipad for his birthday and preloaded a bunch of free games onto it and Shattered Planet is his favorite.

I hope you'll be getting him Sproggiwood soon!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Pyrokinesis Time Fugue Espers trip report

deaths to time clone aoe abilities: none deaths to invisible Pyrokinesis fires I forgot existed: almost two and counting

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The combination of 1.3 and cheap Ashes expansion is making me want to get back into ToME. Debating between Storm Mage, Paradox Mage, or another tilt at the windmill that is Shadowblade.

E: whoops, meant to post this in the ToME thread.

For more general Roguelike context, part of the reason I'm feeling like getting back into ToME is that I'm getting kind of tired of splatting AoMC and AoMr characters in DoomRL.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 19, 2015

nplus1 elephants
Oct 23, 2010
I say it's perfectly heartless your eating muffins at all, under the circumstances

hand of luke posted:

I hope you'll be getting him Sproggiwood soon!

Is it coming out for andriod as well? Pixel Dungeon is wearing a bit thin at this point.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

nplus1 elephants posted:

Is it coming out for andriod as well? Pixel Dungeon is wearing a bit thin at this point.

PM me or e-mail me at unormal at gmail; send me your iOS or Google e-mail (and tell me if you want iOS or Android) and I can hook you (or whoever) up with the beta. Should be released on both platforms mid-April alongside Caves of Qud's early release and Sproggiwood 1.2 w/ Savage.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 19, 2015

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Unormal posted:

PM me or e-mail me at unormal at gmail; send me your iOS or Google e-mail (and tell me if you want iOS or Android) and I can hook you (or whoever) up with the beta. Should be released on both platforms mid-April alongside Caves of Qud's early release and Sproggiwood 1.2 w/ Savage.

Well after 10 minutes I can pretty easily congratulate you on having the best roguelike on the appstore. Boy does this game shine on mobile.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 19, 2015

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Well after 10 minutes I can pretty easily congratulate you on having the best roguelike on the appstore. Boy does this game shine on mobile.

That's a nice thing to say. :shobon:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I've been playing lots of Siralim and thought I'd offer some advice:
  • Pandemonium Coins can give good and bad effects but the worst will throw you into a hard battle. If you don't want to risk gameover (playing on permadeath ofc) wait till you have 6 creatures in battle to use them.
  • Sigils will always make you fight creatures, usually 6 at once so again wait till you can field a 6 creatures.
  • Don't gamble all you granite with the dwarves you really need it for rituals to get more variety of monsters and improving your smith and enchanter.
  • If you feel the current level is too hard you can portal back to the castle and use the shrine to start from a slightly easier level.
  • Artefacts are really important.
  • Exalted Emblems are used to buy useful/rare things. You'll need to find the shopkeeper who appears randomly in the levels, however once you speak to him he'll move into your castle war room.
  • Buy a pocket dumpling for 3 emblems, it is really useful.
  • Investing some of your royalty points in the Mage type perks is recommended as some can really save your arse. (Although personally Sorcery Mage perks suck as they don't affect your creatures.)

Also got some artefact boots that give an ability that every time the creature takes a turn it has a 50% to take another turn, insanely useful as you can just take so many turns in a row if your rolls are good. I've shoved it onto an Iron Golem which has the innate ability that every time it attacks it gains 25% more attack, sometimes it can singlehandedly steamroll the other party.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Geokinesis posted:

I've been playing lots of Siralim and thought I'd offer some advice:
  • Pandemonium Coins can give good and bad effects but the worst will throw you into a hard battle. If you don't want to risk gameover (playing on permadeath ofc) wait till you have 6 creatures in battle to use them.
  • Sigils will always make you fight creatures, usually 6 at once so again wait till you can field a 6 creatures.
  • Don't gamble all you granite with the dwarves you really need it for rituals to get more variety of monsters and improving your smith and enchanter.
  • If you feel the current level is too hard you can portal back to the castle and use the shrine to start from a slightly easier level.
  • Artefacts are really important.
  • Exalted Emblems are used to buy useful/rare things. You'll need to find the shopkeeper who appears randomly in the levels, however once you speak to him he'll move into your castle war room.
  • Buy a pocket dumpling for 3 emblems, it is really useful.
  • Investing some of your royalty points in the Mage type perks is recommended as some can really save your arse. (Although personally Sorcery Mage perks suck as they don't affect your creatures.)

Also got some artefact boots that give an ability that every time the creature takes a turn it has a 50% to take another turn, insanely useful as you can just take so many turns in a row if your rolls are good. I've shoved it onto an Iron Golem which has the innate ability that every time it attacks it gains 25% more attack, sometimes it can singlehandedly steamroll the other party.

That ability is a creature ability (one of the ghouls gets it iirc), but yeah artefacts can roll with a permanent creature ability which can be insanely useful.

I'm still dieing a lot and getting gameover, have yet to even get to a level to use 6 creatures. But so is the nature of "roguelikes". Waiting with those sigils and Pandemonium Coins was definetely a lesson learnt :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Is Starcrawlers any good? It looks pretty cheap and the way it looks does feel nice but I'm on the fence here.