Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Avynte posted:

Navyfield was terrible with the lack of islands. Hope you're in a BB because outside of the first suicidal torp run, no one was crossing no-man's land in the center for a long time. That or you loved sailing up and down waiting for someone stupid enough to get close to your guns / grinding cash via AA.

The jump from dominating low level games in a CA to getting dominated while in a low level BB definitely was the worst part of Navyfield. The open maps weren't completely terrible because of the fog of war system they used where you had to scout enemy ships with either planes or lower level ships. It definitely got old though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Avynte posted:

Navyfield was terrible with the lack of islands. Hope you're in a BB because outside of the first suicidal torp run, no one was crossing no-man's land in the center for a long time. That or you loved sailing up and down waiting for someone stupid enough to get close to your guns / grinding cash via AA.

Again, this won't be the case because unlike navy field there will be cover in the form of dd smoke screens. But if there are only a few choke points that the bbs and anyone with torps can zero in on then they are much less of a tool than they could be.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

It takes a long time for big ships to turn their rudders. Be 10 seconds early if you want to turn a bb.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

What's the key to get into manual mode for planes? I cant seem to have an independent bombing run unless i click on the target

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
I'm laughing, because if anything, islands hosed the small ships in Navy Field. They restricted your turning ability, which limited where you could go. It was much easier to pick off a DD stuck in a channel than some rear end in a top hat doing the Tokyo Drift at 70 knots in the open ocean.

I killed Iowas and Montanas with destroyers all the time, because they were bad, and they panicked when you got in close. It was fantastic when you braved a storm of BB fire only to go broadside with them at the last second, so you could slam dunk all your torps straight into their face. People would get pissssssssed.

Most of NFs balance problems were related to the horrible crew mechanics and lovely matchmaking system. The spread in this game is much, much better.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

SaltLick posted:

What's the key to get into manual mode for planes? I cant seem to have an independent bombing run unless i click on the target

Alt.

You can also use shift to select two+ bombing groups at once, in case you want to drop all your torps from one direction. (for instance, some idiot beached himself).

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Might be speaking out my rear end, but my hunch is that they are armed at the start of the green spread indicator or at least shortly thereafter (assuming they get dropped at the attack circle? Since I think that's the automatic drop point? I'm not sure how manual bombing controls work). This is based off of my experience using the tubes on a pheonix, I've not unlocked any carriers yet to try torp bombers.

No, even if the enemy ship is in the green area your torps might not detonate. Same with destroyers and cruisers, if you drop torps at point-blank they'll just PLONK off the hull. It's seems to be like halfway through the green firing indicator or just a bit before.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Vengarr posted:

Alt.

You can also use shift to select two+ bombing groups at once, in case you want to drop all your torps from one direction. (for instance, some idiot beached himself).

No, even if the enemy ship is in the green area your torps might not detonate. Same with destroyers and cruisers, if you drop torps at point-blank they'll just PLONK off the hull. It's seems to be like halfway through the green firing indicator or just a bit before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMk_lLalrAg

This video sums up everything really nicely.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I feel accomplished, I just had my first case of a teammate trying to TK my DD because I "stole his kill" with my torps. :allears:

Orv
May 4, 2011

dtkozl posted:

Again, this won't be the case because unlike navy field there will be cover in the form of dd smoke screens. But if there are only a few choke points that the bbs and anyone with torps can zero in on then they are much less of a tool than they could be.

Here's how your No Islands, Only Smoke Screens, Final Destination proposal would go:

1. DDs drop smoke
2. Everyone who isn't a BB shits torps into smoke
3. BB shits shells into smoke and instantly blows up DD/seriously damages cruisers and other BBs
4. No-one has fun

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
2015 hide and seek champion

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

My friend keeps saying that when playing cruisers or destroyers, HE is the way to go. Is he wrong?

Edit: I know the in-game help says AP is best vs same class but dunno how important it is at the cruiser/destroyer level.

Argas fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 14, 2015

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

I'm enjoying the gently caress out of this playing battleships, although getting wrecked of torpedo salvo's is brutal.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Argas posted:

My friend keeps saying that when playing cruisers or destroyers, HE is the way to go. Is he wrong?
Yes.

HE is good against destroyers/carriers/things that are way way lower or way way higher tier than you.

For fighting against cruisers or BBs (so generally most of what you're shooting at) you want to fire AP.

Destroyers can also use AP to great effect against other destroyers, since their guns aren't so big that they'll overpenetrate.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
First game with my tier 3 DD

full speed lateral movement vs a BB 7k away. I launch my torps and he fires his first volley.

All of his shots hit and I ded in 1 volley. 1st shot of the game

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
7km is pretty close range for a battleship, and you made yourself a pretty easy target.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Orv posted:

Here's how your No Islands, Only Smoke Screens, Final Destination proposal would go:

1. DDs drop smoke
2. Everyone who isn't a BB shits torps into smoke
3. BB shits shells into smoke and instantly blows up DD/seriously damages cruisers and other BBs
4. No-one has fun

Buddy there have been plenty of games where there have been fleet actions in open ocean and all that crap you typed didn't happen. Here are just two solutions to that, have more than one dd make smoke so there is too much area for the other team to cover all of it. Have the dds far enough ahead so the smoke obscures vision and lets the other teams line change course a bit so all those torps and shots miss by a mile.

We can go around and around like this all day. I don't understand why so many of you have a bee in your bonnet about having more map variety. If, once it is in we cant make it work then sure change it, but the fact you are so resistant to trying something new in a new game in a beta is loving crazy town.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'll never get the hang of when to smoke as a destroyer. I think it just places the smoke behind you, right?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

dtkozl posted:

Buddy there have been plenty of games where there have been fleet actions in open ocean and all that crap you typed didn't happen. Here are just two solutions to that, have more than one dd make smoke so there is too much area for the other team to cover all of it. Have the dds far enough ahead so the smoke obscures vision and lets the other teams line change course a bit so all those torps and shots miss by a mile.

We can go around and around like this all day. I don't understand why so many of you have a bee in your bonnet about having more map variety. If, once it is in we cant make it work then sure change it, but the fact you are so resistant to trying something new in a new game in a beta is loving crazy town.
You seem to be profoundly mistaken about what kind of games the "World of ..." games are and what their playerbase is like.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Got the TIII Battleship - an enemy T4 BB decided to ram me and we both sunk. 45k free damage to me :shrug:

Then I got the T3 IJN DD. First match, stock:

:lol:

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

SuperSix posted:

First game with my tier 3 DD

full speed lateral movement vs a BB 7k away. I launch my torps and he fires his first volley.

All of his shots hit and I ded in 1 volley. 1st shot of the game

I had a game earlier in my kongo and ended up one shot killing a dd with AP. I've found if i can land an AP shell into the deck of a dd it usually oneshots them, I could be wrong and could be playing bb's completely wrong.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Nordick posted:

You seem to be profoundly mistaken about what kind of games the "World of ..." games are and what their playerbase is like.
No way dude surely a map that requires extensive coordination between 15 random people to do anything would not be frustrating or unfun in the slightest at all

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
I have a torp boner

These things are the best poo poo ever

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

dtkozl posted:

Was there a general audience game that features fleet maneuvers in open ocean? I can't think of one.

World of tanks has been out for like 6 years and the average player still can't read their minimap, and still does things that objectively hinder their team. You literally cannot expect cooperation and competency from the player base, so why introduce maps that will require that?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I can't decide which is better: Torpedoes or pretending I'm a pirate firing broadsides from my St. Louis

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

AfroSquirrel posted:

I can't decide which is better: Torpedoes or pretending I'm a pirate firing broadsides from my St. Louis

I don't have torpedoes yet but firing broadsides is both hella fun and profitable. I fully upgraded my St. Louis in one* match. Also, eat poo poo battleships:

Stock warships in this are just as viable as stock planes in War Thunder, it rocks.

*the very first match in it was a miserable defeat where I got like 150 XP and I refuse to count it

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

AfroSquirrel posted:

buy naval action for all your pirate boner needs

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You literally cannot expect cooperation and competency from the player base, so why introduce maps that will require that?

No poo poo some guy asks in chat what the green and red blobs on the map.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Argas posted:

Edit: I know the in-game help says AP is best vs same class but dunno how important it is at the cruiser/destroyer level.

Here's my raving AP fanboy take on matters (actually the raving AP fanboy answer is shoot AP at everything, and it's viable).

AP you want to punch through enough stuff to fuze the shell, and if you do, it's mindblowingly awesome.

You can use AP on destroyers, and if you catch the vitals just right or shoot them through the nose so there's plenty of ship in the way of the shell you can do a bunch of damage. Frankly, this is a bad decision unless you really know what you're doing. Destroyers are not built with armor, they are built with hitboxes. Shoot them with HE in their midsection and you can take out their turbines for a bit which damages their speed and makes them much more vulnerable, and can knock out torpedo tubes and weaken their salvo.

AP against cruisers and battleships, is pretty simple, it follows a good-bad-good-bad pattern. At extreme range your shots are falling on the enemy at a sharp angle and can penetrate the deck. When I say extreme I mean fist-pumpingly extreme edge of range sort of things, and in low tiers it doesn't happen. Then closer in you can do good hits with AP but it's really not better than consistent damage and fire from HE. Against cruisers this zone is tiny and who cares, keep shooting AP. The next stage is when you can penetrate their belt armor into their vitals, as illustrated here:

You're aiming for the purple section or the bits right under the turrets pretty much. Once you're punching salvoes into the belt armor and they're going through, you'll know it. Keeping at the range where you can punch through their belt and they have a hard time doing so is a great way to win big. You can manipulate whether they can penetrate to some degree by angling your ship away/towards the enemy, which reduces the maximum penetration range.

The last section is where your shells go straight through their armor, their hull and then the other armor. This is overpenetration. Avoid it. At that close range, try to shoot through their ship the long way or their angled belt armor. Praying may also help as well as not getting there in the first place because it's really hard to seriously outduel someone in that close because weird voodoo happens there.

Basically destroyers can shoot AP at cruisers that are close up or far away, cruisers should shoot AP at cruisers and extreme or close range battleships.

Good AP salvoes from a heavy cruiser end cruisers in one or two salvoes. It's a huge deal.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 14, 2015

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Is there a mumble or anything where people are gathering to form divisions?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I don't know how to hit anything on a ship on purpose, except for the ammo-racks, but I had my first magazine penetration. Fired a salvo in my BB, and flat out killed a St. Louis that was almost at 100%. :allears:

I'm kind of disappointed there isn't some kind of celebratory music when you set off someone's magazine.

Tuco22
Jul 11, 2013
Think i'm done trying to get my double on the Yam. The capfast is too strong tonight for those 5 minute queue attempts.

Tuco22
Jul 11, 2013

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I'm bad at this game, but sometimes things work out. I'm trading shots with a cruiser when a hostile destroyer gets behind me and sends a volley of torps my way. Full astern, keep firing on the cruiser - then laugh my rear end off as I see red torps pass my bow - and slam right into my target.

I think he got hit with 3 of them that were aimed at me. It decisively ended the fight in my favor.

Enjoying the St.Louis so far, but I'm decidedly bad with destroyers.

Edit: is it possible to manually fire AA, or is that just something you let happen?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
In my Myogi, abandoned by teammates, surrounded and getting hammered to poo poo from all sides: RAMMING SPEED.
I think I was down to a couple thousand HP at most when I perfectly T-boned a full health enemy Myogi and blew us both up.

:black101:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I unlocked the Kongo holy poo poo it's glorious.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Does the game ever stop being just non loving stop smokescreens of invisible ships firing torpedoes out of them because every Tier 2/3 game has consisted of that, over and over.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Fart Car '97 posted:

Does the game ever stop being just non loving stop smokescreens of invisible ships firing torpedoes out of them because every Tier 2/3 game has consisted of that, over and over.

I've yet to run into that and I'm almost to tier 4.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Was there a general audience game that features fleet maneuvers in open ocean? I can't think of one.

World of tanks has been out for like 6 years and the average player still can't read their minimap, and still does things that objectively hinder their team. You literally cannot expect cooperation and competency from the player base, so why introduce maps that will require that?

Navyfield one and two? I understand world of tanks sucks, that's why I don't play it. I don't want to see it become just a mirror of something I don't like. I would rather it look like war thunder which has a great map selection with a lot of variation and seems to at least be constantly striving to make the game better.

Also, your argument of "pubs can't be counted on to have tactics" means nothing to the discussion, because both teams would have pubs and no matter what the map looked like they wouldn't do well. It is neither an argument for or against anything anyone has said. Eventually though there will be teams and teams will do better than randoms generally in any situation, it is also not an argument for or against any particular map. What I am concerned about is variety and allowing the teams to make something more of this game than just a cheap level treadmill grind fest. You want to know about how the map influences how good a game is and its depth of character look at any competitive game out there. They all care a lot about making sure the maps enhance the game and not just serve as some pubbie treadmill.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

I always see like one or two people doing this in every game, but I've yet to see more than that. Fortune frowns upon you tonight, ship brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I always see like one or two people doing this in every game, but I've yet to see more than that. Fortune frowns upon you tonight, ship brother.

Here's every Tier 2/3 game I've played in a nutshell: