Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

sweek0 posted:

Hawksmoor in Spitalfields (their full fat old fashionends are amazing)

Yeah, I love these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Went to Dishoom in King's Cross tonight. Was good but had to wait 45 minutes for a table after we arrived at 6pm.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Anae posted:

Theatre tonight, sooo...dinner around Leicester Square that isn't expensive and crap tourist traps? Ideally with a nice veggie or fish option or two.

Bit late but as a heads up to other people who might end up round there sometime, the best place nearby is, IMO, Lanzhou Noodle Bar https://plus.google.com/110038791472894729232/about?gl=uk&hl=en

The thing to get is the noodle soup really. Bit more than a fiver if I remember well, proper hand pulled noodles, good soup and good flavour choices, also big portions. Stewed beef version is best but the Won Ton soup is great too. It looks like an ordinary crap buffet style chinese from the outside but it's real.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

NLJP posted:

Bit late but as a heads up to other people who might end up round there sometime, the best place nearby is, IMO, Lanzhou Noodle Bar https://plus.google.com/110038791472894729232/about?gl=uk&hl=en

The thing to get is the noodle soup really. Bit more than a fiver if I remember well, proper hand pulled noodles, good soup and good flavour choices, also big portions. Stewed beef version is best but the Won Ton soup is great too. It looks like an ordinary crap buffet style chinese from the outside but it's real.

Thanks, I love places like these.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Went to Herman Ze German in Soho yesterday, place is incredible. Cheap and tasty currywurst with a £2 glass bottle of really nice German cola. I already look forward to going back.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Went to Herman Ze German in Soho yesterday, place is incredible. Cheap and tasty currywurst with a £2 glass bottle of really nice German cola. I already look forward to going back.

Agreed!

I went to Max's Sandwich Shop in Crouch Hill and had a bangin beef brisket sammich today. Highly recommend.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Agreed!

I went to Max's Sandwich Shop in Crouch Hill and had a bangin beef brisket sammich today. Highly recommend.

I keep wanting to go there but my best times are weekday lunches, so I go to Piccolo Diavolo or get a sandwich from Italian Farmers (bresaola) instead.

Rimmer
Aug 23, 2004
More reliable than a garden strimmer
Went to Rita's on Mare Street last week and was very underwhelmed by the whole thing. Very average. Wouldnt go back.

Has anyone got any recommendations for decent value for money butchers/fish mongers in North/East London near Dalston? We've got Ridley Road Market nearby but the quality is questionable. Also got a few upmarket butchers, like Godfrey's, but I cant afford to be spending £30 for to sirloins very often. Would like to find something in between.

If people like cheap and cheerful Turkish, I can highly recommend Umut 2000 in Dalston. The mixed grill and meze for two could probably feed four and for £30 is an absolute bargain.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
For a decent fishmongers not on Ridley road you night have to go up to stoke newington ( https://www.the-fishery.net ). It's pretty good for london. For more high end stuff, there's a better ones in Islington. There's also a butchers next door which is pretty good as well and a posher one one church street round the corner ( https://www.meatlondon.co.uk ).

Restaurant wise, the classic Turkish in Dalston is https://www.mangal1.com but it's gone off a bit lately.

What's also nice are the pizzas at the Dalston Curve Garden when the weather gets better. https://www.lattospizza.co.uk.

Also if you're around mare street/Hackney Central then the Mess Cafe on Amhurst road does great burgers and chips for around £6. Can't recommend enough. Also the pembury tavern is just there and does decent pizza and pretty good cheap ales.

Lenin Riefenstahl fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 29, 2015

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Rimmer posted:

Has anyone got any recommendations for decent value for money butchers/fish mongers in North/East London near Dalston? We've got Ridley Road Market nearby but the quality is questionable. Also got a few upmarket butchers, like Godfrey's, but I cant afford to be spending £30 for to sirloins very often. Would like to find something in between.

Apparently Meat N16 in Stoke Newington is good, though I've never actually been in. I've had some decent bits from Highbury Butchers on Blackstock Road. I also have had some delicious steaks from greatbritishmeat.com, who deliver and always have some sort of special offer on. I got 10 gorgeous steaks for something like £20 last year.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Rimmer posted:

Went to Rita's on Mare Street last week and was very underwhelmed by the whole thing. Very average. Wouldnt go back.

If people like cheap and cheerful Turkish, I can highly recommend Umut 2000 in Dalston. The mixed grill and meze for two could probably feed four and for £30 is an absolute bargain.

I'll pimp my brothers place as it's not far from you: http://www.hillandszrok.co.uk/

Tom the butcher used to work at godfrey's so some of the stuff is toward that end of the price spectrum though they do plenty of cheaper cuts of meat

Rimmer
Aug 23, 2004

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I'll pimp my brothers place as it's not far from you: http://www.hillandszrok.co.uk/

Tom the butcher used to work at godfrey's so some of the stuff is toward that end of the price spectrum though they do plenty of cheaper cuts of meat

I've stared longingly into their window a few times! Looks amazing. Will check it out next time im at Broadway Market.

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

For a decent fishmongers not on Ridley road you night have to go up to stoke newington ( https://www.the-fishery.net ). It's pretty good for london. For more high end stuff, there's a better ones in Islington. There's also a butchers next door which is pretty good as well and a posher one one church street round the corner ( https://www.meatlondon.co.uk ).

Restaurant wise, the classic Turkish in Dalston is https://www.mangal1.com but it's gone off a bit lately.

What's also nice are the pizzas at the Dalston Curve Garden when the weather gets better. https://www.lattospizza.co.uk.

Also if you're around mare street/Hackney Central then the Mess Cafe on Amhurst road does great burgers and chips for around £6. Can't recommend enough. Also the pembury tavern is just there and does decent pizza and pretty good cheap ales.

All great suggestions! Think i've done them all apart from Mess Cafe so will check that out. Have you been to Dalston Roof Garden? It's great in summer for a drink (if you beat the queues).

Been to Mangal1 a few times and don't think it stands out against the other decent turkish places on Kingsland Rd. I quite like the Stone Cave for breakfast too.

I'm not averse to going to somewhere on Ridley Road if anyone has any recommendation.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Franco Manca purchased for £27M. Get to Brixton for the original while you still can.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Rimmer posted:

I love Ridley Road for my fruit'n'veg, but the few times I've tried to get things from the butchers/fishmongers it's varied from 'not particularly fresh' to 'downright rancid'. The butchers in the Turkish Food Centre at the end of Ridley Road is alright (though you'll struggle to get anything beyond lamb and chicken) but I was surprised at the prices at that very nice-looking new place on Broadway Market called Hill & Szrok. It's all wood-panel and marble inside and they apparently scrub down the entire place for an hour every night to become a restaurant. It's not exactly cheap, but it's a lot less expensive than it looks. Best sausages I've had in a while, too.

Edit: gently caress's sake, totally missed the recommendation a few posts up. Ah well, just count it as another vote of confidence. There's a fishmongers' across the street which I haven't tried yet but looks impressive.

Double edit: While we're on Ridley Road talk, I can recommend the Ridley Road Market Bar, which is maybe the first sign of ~~gentrification~~ along there but has a very cool Miami/80's/Scarface vibe with the decor and usually very good music. I had a gin and blood orange cocktail there the other week which was delicious.

Matinee fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 1, 2015

Rimmer
Aug 23, 2004

Matinee posted:

Double edit: While we're on Ridley Road talk, I can recommend the Ridley Road Market Bar, which is maybe the first sign of ~~gentrification~~ along there but has a very cool Miami/80's/Scarface vibe with the decor and usually very good music. I had a gin and blood orange cocktail there the other week which was delicious.

Ridley Road Market Bar is awesome! Was there on Friday. £5 for 50ml cocktails and free in is difficult to beat. All about the ginger mojitos. Only issue is that you end up queuing for ages if you dont get there relatively early.

The Hunter S is also quite a decent bar and if you want to geek out, the Loading Bar has loads of video games (from SNES to PS4/Xbox One) and boardgames.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Just tried La Fabrica on Stroud Green Rd. Very disappointing. Most dishes were mediocre to poor. Decor is ok; modern industrial trendy, inoffensive and pleasant enough but unimaginative. The food was not good though, and the tortilla was downright poor. Pimentios Padron also seemed lacking in freshness. Bar Esteban in Crouch End is leagues better and probably about the same price. No comparison between them though.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

therattle posted:

Just tried La Fabrica on Stroud Green Rd. Very disappointing. Most dishes were mediocre to poor. Decor is ok; modern industrial trendy, inoffensive and pleasant enough but unimaginative. The food was not good though, and the tortilla was downright poor. Pimentios Padron also seemed lacking in freshness. Bar Esteban in Crouch End is leagues better and probably about the same price. No comparison between them though.

Was going to try this place but think I'll go with Bar Esteban instead. Thanks for the heads up.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Bar Esteban is okay, but slow service, busy and kinddddda pricey. I'm actually really into the basic basic tapas place up by Harringay Rail, La Vina. I've been helping a mate out with some campaigning strategy stuff and they're insisting on taking me for a meal and I'm going to go there!

New BURGER PLACE :siren: called Street Burger, I think, opening by F'Park Tube as well. Just as they're closing the Wells Terrace Exit. Fare thee well, mango man, we hardly knew ye.

Actually there's some good things going on around this area - Salvation in Noodles is due to open soon (if it hasn't already), they're redoing the pizza place next to dotori, and when dotori re-opens, god knows how many more covers they'll fit int here but maybe I'll manage to go more than once every 6 months! Has anyone been to that Max's Sandwiches on Crouch Hill? Terrible trendy pop-up rubbish or good?

Has the Slow Rub place improved it's food since they rebranded to BRISKET (lol)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

Bar Esteban is okay, but slow service, busy and kinddddda pricey. I'm actually really into the basic basic tapas place up by Harringay Rail, La Vina. I've been helping a mate out with some campaigning strategy stuff and they're insisting on taking me for a meal and I'm going to go there!

New BURGER PLACE :siren: called Street Burger, I think, opening by F'Park Tube as well. Just as they're closing the Wells Terrace Exit. Fare thee well, mango man, we hardly knew ye.

Actually there's some good things going on around this area - Salvation in Noodles is due to open soon (if it hasn't already), they're redoing the pizza place next to dotori, and when dotori re-opens, god knows how many more covers they'll fit int here but maybe I'll manage to go more than once every 6 months! Has anyone been to that Max's Sandwiches on Crouch Hill? Terrible trendy pop-up rubbish or good?

Has the Slow Rub place improved it's food since they rebranded to BRISKET (lol)

I've only been to Esteban for lunch and I thought the pricing was fine given the quality.
I've been reading about the new places on StroudGreen.org; didn't realise Street N4 (as it'll be called) was open yet.

Not yet made it to Max or Rub; both are weekend places and my wife is vegetarian and avoids bread!

Dotori is great but we never go there; we just get take-away pretty often.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Have been to Max's a couple of times now and can confirm it's really good. Four choices of sandwich, all you can drink Allpress in lovely mismatched cups, no plates (sandwiches come wrapped in greaseproof paper), decent booze and quick friendly service. Both times it has been busy and I think it's going to do well.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Not food but can confirm that Sovereign Lost mixes a mean Sazerac.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Not really 'eating' in London but this seems like the best thread for it. Does anyone have recommendations for independent shops where I can pick up decent roasted coffee beans? Ideally round the Holborn area, but most of central would be fine.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Lady Gaza posted:

Not really 'eating' in London but this seems like the best thread for it. Does anyone have recommendations for independent shops where I can pick up decent roasted coffee beans? Ideally round the Holborn area, but most of central would be fine.

Prufrock on leather lane

I think union coffee is around holborn too

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Lady Gaza posted:

Not mega central, but Monmoth Coffee have an outpost in Covent Garden and there's HR Higgins in Mayfair if you want to get super fancy.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Espresso Base on Bloomsbury Way (down the right side of the church) does Has Bean beans - nice guy and superb coffee.
http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/espresso-base-specialty-coffee-london

Free State does beans too I think.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

sweat poteto posted:

Espresso Base on Bloomsbury Way (down the right side of the church) does Has Bean beans - nice guy and superb coffee.
http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/espresso-base-specialty-coffee-london

Free State does beans too I think.

Yeah he does incredible coffee

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lady Gaza posted:

There's Notes in Covent Garden too, they do some nice coffee.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Also Workshop on the Holborn Viaduct and in Clerkenwell.

I'd strongly recommend going to Prufrock and getting whatever they have in stock from Drop Coffee. It's a microroastery in Stockholm and they're producing what are generally considered to be one of the best roasts in Europe at the moment. Because it's coming from Sweden they tend to be at the longer end of the useable period after their roasting date but they're still amazing for pour-over.

Prufrock in general is a great place for coffee and coffee-related stuff. I'm currently doing a diploma in speciality coffee with them at the moment; they're fantastic teachers and their basement is really well set up for learning how to make great coffee.

There's a coffee thread in GWS too, you'll get more responses in there too.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Thanks everyone, I think those shops will be more than enough! I'm probably check them out on my lunch next week.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
It might have already come up ITT but anyone who likes food should immediately hit Shoe Shop for extremely good modern cooking at stupid low prices. Try the veal brains with roquito peppers, or the pig's trotters.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I just had today's special at Koya: smoked haddock, baby clam and spring greens udon with chowder. The food here is always good but this was truly exceptional.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
I went to Koya for the first time ever on Friday, finally! It was fabbo - mainly the starter of stout and slow cooked pork belly.

But omg did you see, they're closing it down because the chef is going back to Japan. Sadness.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

I went to Koya for the first time ever on Friday, finally! It was fabbo - mainly the starter of stout and slow cooked pork belly.

But omg did you see, they're closing it down because the chef is going back to Japan. Sadness.

What?!?! NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Neris posted:

You're joking right? That is extreme sadness :(

edit: "After 5 years we will be closing Koya on 31 May. @JunyaYamaski is returning to Japan & we wish him much happiness but are sad to see him go."

poo poo, I need to go this month then. Apparently Koyabar will stay open but it's just not the same.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 1, 2015

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
I haven't been to koya but it sounds delicious. How early do I need to queue up to actually eat around noon or 530? Figured I may as well eat there when I have a chance.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Onion Rings posted:

I haven't been to koya but it sounds delicious. How early do I need to queue up to actually eat around noon or 530? Figured I may as well eat there when I have a chance.

You won't need to queue then.

So sad...

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Koya is very good but I also really like Tonkotsu, just down the road. It's not Japanese-run but it is authentic and excellent. Ramen rather than Udon and the menu is smaller, but it tastes awesome.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

ineptmule posted:

Koya is very good but I also really like Tonkotsu, just down the road. It's not Japanese-run but it is authentic and excellent. Ramen rather than Udon and the menu is smaller, but it tastes awesome.

Tonkotsu is really drat good! Really like their Haggerston restaurant

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I ate at Tonkotsu recently. It isn't as good as Koya (just a general quality observation) but it was definitely good, and I'd eat there again. It's not as pricy as Koya either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I had the most painful bill paying episode ever at Koya. Table of 4. Took 20 minutes to get a server to fetch the bill. Then another to 20 to fetch the card machine, and they returned with another bill instead! Then another 10 to get them to bring an actual machine. Felt like a hostage. /csb

e: still <3 would eat again

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 1, 2015