Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Liquid Penguins posted:

I'm gay and I like gay anime bois, what is the v/n for me? I have a vita and a steam compatible computer in my abode.

You could get Hakuouki and pretend the girl you play as is actually a very effeminate boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ever17 is supposed to be really good, right? I played half an hour? an hour? 10 minutes? and nothing really grabbed me like 999 and VR. Should I give it another try?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ever17's problem is the build up is the vast majority of the game, and it's definitely slow with some really boring scenes but the payoff makes the twist in 999 and VLR look tame in comparison. And I mean that in the best way.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

This thread just made me remember that Zero Escape 3 is probably never happening and now I'm sad.:(

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

This thread just made me remember that Zero Escape 3 is probably never happening and now I'm sad.:(

Dangan Ronpa 3 is though, so it's not all bad.

Also I just realized when looking through the patches at the Translation Wiki that both Never7 and Remember11 have 100% English patches now. I guess it really is about time for me to read the Infinity series.

V Oh, okay. Guess I'll just stick to playing my big stack of new Vita VNs instead.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 13, 2015

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Never7 and Remember11 are not very good.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Liquid Penguins posted:

I'm gay and I like gay anime bois, what is the v/n for me? I have a vita and a steam compatible computer in my abode.

It's a Western dating sim, but Coming Out on Top is probably the closest to what you want.

Even if they weren't Japanese-only, pretty much all VNs with dating gay men are targeted exclusively at pandering to female audiences anyway.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Getsuya posted:

You could get Hakuouki and pretend the girl you play as is actually a very effeminate boy.

This is usually what I do when I have sex with women vOv

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Unless you really like dudes getting raped you should prob stay away from the BL VN scene in general.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Unless you really like dudes getting raped you should prob stay away from the BL scene in general.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

True.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Sorry but morals are off the table when it's time to see anime bois get stuffed.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

The writer said he was working on "something secret" and "you know what" in two seperate tweets, but deleted them both 5 minutes later. You need to believe!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Never7 and Remember11 are not very good.

I can't speak for Never7 as I'm only playing it now for the first time, but Remember 11 is a perfectly fine visual novel. Sure, it was rushed and probably could've used one more route, but you can figure out everything that's going on by the time the credits roll with a bit of thinking.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 13, 2015

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

The writer said he was working on "something secret" and "you know what" in two seperate tweets, but deleted them both 5 minutes later. You need to believe!

I choose to remain pessimistic. Oh well, at least they're good self contained stories. I'll probably try and get around to the Infinity games when I have free time.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
stay safe eroge thread

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well I`ve got a strange game to recommend for anyone who can read Japanese. It`s one of the more bizarre VNs I`ve ever seen/read but it`s definitely enjoyable in its own weird way. I don`t want to put it up on the 2nd post as a real recommendation since it`s not really going to widely appeal to a ton of people but:

Do you think learning is fun? Do you have a fondness for old nursery rhymes? Do you like spending dates talking about fascinating subjects? Well boy howdy do I have the game for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKXuADFsHdo

Mother Goose no Himitsu no Yakata Blue Label/Mother Goose`s Secret Mansion Blue Label is a VN where you are drawn into your own bookshelf. Girls representing (indirectly) the old nursery stories you used to love so much are waiting for you in a mysterious mansion. Turns out you can`t go back to the real world until you have re-awakened in your heart the love for rhymes you used to have. How do you do this? Why, by taking quizzes on rhymes of course!

Yes, this VN consists entirely of taking quizzes about nursery rhymes and getting rewarded with a little bit of story with whatever girl you pick if you can ace a quiz. The quizzes are incredibly random and hard, but you can (and are probably expected to) cheese them by accessing the rhyme database within the game at any time during the quizzes, allowing you to simply look up the answer to any question you don`t know right away. The collection of rhymes is... exhaustive, containing 203 rhymes along with a brief explanation about who wrote them or some of the subtle, hidden meanings in a lot of them. All the rhymes include both an English and a Japanese voice-over and the game even goes so far as to have a playlist/favorite option for you to listen to a bunch of nursery rhymes in English or Japanese whenever you want. The included rhymes are everything from Twinkle Twinkle Little Star to weird math riddle rhymes to that one about the girl who killed her parents with an axe. Each rhyme is also accompanied by a piece of art. The art styles and images are just as eclectic as the rhymes, with some being very beautiful and some being creepy (in a good way) or bizarre.

So how about the actual VN part? Well... I hope you like learning. This is definitely not a game very interested in romance, except for the love for knowledge. My first two dates with the girl I randomly picked to go for first involved us bird-watching and talking at length about species of birds, and then strolling along a town street talking in-depth about European architecture. Yeah.

There really isn`t anything else quite like this VN (except for the version without `Blue Label` in the title, which is an otome version of the same game), and it tends to go for quite cheap since it`s a very niche thing even among VN fans in Japan, so if you can read Japanese and have a PSP I heartily recommend at least giving it a try.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Getsuya posted:

Mother Goose no Himitsu no Yakata Blue Label/Mother Goose`s Secret Mansion Blue Label is a VN where you are drawn into your own bookshelf. Girls representing (indirectly) the old nursery stories you used to love so much are waiting for you in a mysterious mansion. Turns out you can`t go back to the real world until you have re-awakened in your heart the love for rhymes you used to have. How do you do this? Why, by taking quizzes on rhymes of course!

Is this game part of a series? Because a while ago I saw a visual novel with the exact same premise (complete with quizzes), but with dudes instead of girls. Or is Nursery Rhyme Dating Sim a genre.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Yeah, the maker Quin Rose usually does otome games so the first Mother Goose game was for girls. Blue Label, the one I played, is the remake made for guys.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm phoneposting so I can't easily get a good picture but I'll recommend Corpse Party for the PSP.

I would just like at say that I do not recommend the sequel, Book of Shadows.While it is closer to a visual novel than the original game, the stories in it are poorly written, too long, or involve inappropriate stuff happening to a character that looks like a child.

And only one of the eight stories are scary.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If the sequel ever gets localised you might need to YouTube up the last chapter which is the only part that isn't an alternate what if scenario but otherwise it's 100% ignorable.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Getsuya posted:

CV: Kugimiya Rie, Hanazawa Kana, Tamura Yukari, Toyosaki Aki, Itou Kanae

sold

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Tamba posted:

CV: Kugimiya Rie, Hanazawa Kana, Tamura Yukari, Toyosaki Aki, Itou Kanae

sold

Yeah most people in Japan who bought it bought it so they could listen to their favorite anime voice girls recite poems.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

If the sequel ever gets localised you might need to YouTube up the last chapter which is the only part that isn't an alternate what if scenario but otherwise it's 100% ignorable.

If you're talking about book of shadows that actually was localised, but yeah just watch a video of the last chapter, it's not very good. I hope blood drive for the vita is better.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No I meant Blood Drive, since it's a direct sequel to BoS.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Volt Catfish posted:

I can't speak for Never7 as I'm only playing it now for the first time, but Remember 11 is a perfectly fine visual novel. Sure, it was rushed and probably could've used one more route, but you can figure out everything that's going on by the time the credits roll with a bit of thinking.
Never7 is just really boring more than anything else. It becomes quickly obvious what the twists will be early on, but it's done in such a way that you expect it to be followed up with something even bigger or even subverted by the end. Then it just ends (after you play through it something dumb like 7 times) and turns out nope it really was just that obvious twist all along.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I hope the sales of the new Higurashi game (which seems to be selling pretty darn well) will lead them to consider porting Umineko to the Vita as well. It doesn't have quite the same level of popularity as Higurashi, but it would be nice if they consolidated the two PS3 titles and slapped them on the Vita like they're doing with the Date a Live games.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
I'm not sure if this is within the purview of the thread, but there's a Let's Play of Steins;Gate and I wonder if it's Author ProfessorProf transcribed each word, how many words that is in toto, and what kind of personal hell he was trying to escape in doing so, and also when its release date for PS:V is.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MPLS to NOLA posted:

I'm not sure if this is within the purview of the thread, but there's a Let's Play of Steins;Gate and I wonder if it's Author ProfessorProf transcribed each word, how many words that is in toto, and what kind of personal hell he was trying to escape in doing so, and also when its release date for PS:V is.

Well, the Let's Play is based on the old unedited fantranslation, before JAST USA bought the rights to it and rewrote and edited it into the official retail release for the west. Probably still a lot of transcribing though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If it's the same LP I'm thinking of it was pretty bad because the OP edited out a lot to speed up the pacing or something but really all it did was make a lot of scenes flow really weirdly. Anyway judging by script size Steins;Gate was around 1.7 MB which puts it at about half the size of Higurashi Kai. Not that super long, all told.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

RIP that Umineko LP speaking of.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

RIP that Umineko LP speaking of.
it would have taken that guy literally 20 years to finish at the pace he was going

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

it would have taken that guy literally 20 years to finish at the pace he was going

True, but I liked reading peoples speculation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

let's play it yourself :evil:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ibram Gaunt posted:

For all intents and purposes the Umineko thread I made in ADTRW was kind of a LP since you had so much time in between chapter releases to speculate and discuss.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Well, you sound like something of an authority and I'd hate to read a sub-optimal LP. Back to uh Apollo Justice with me

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Oh good, another thread for me to cry and have big lovey group hugs with all my pals who are also blueballed as poo poo by Virtue's Last Reward.

I kinda wish Apollo Justice & AAI would come out on iOS.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

gay skull posted:

Oh good, another thread for me to cry and have big lovey group hugs with all my pals who are also blueballed as poo poo by Virtue's Last Reward.

:(:hf::(

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

gay skull posted:

Just keep telling yourself that the sequel will come out one day, even if it is just in English countries.

Then realize how stupid that sounds and get back to crying :negative:.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I'm only an hour or two in, but I'm really glad I picked Aiyoku no Eustia as the first VN to play on my new Vita.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tezWg3FSGY

I'm not used to VNs having this good of pacing right off the bat. It really pulls you in with one thing right after another. It also doesn't dwell too long on any one thing, and is very good at keeping your interest by introducing new characters or concepts at a good pace to spark your interest in the plot as you go through the intro. I can't make any broad sweeping claims about it yet since I'm still just starting, but I wasn't expecting to be this hooked in right from the get-go. Also it's nice finally having a non-school setting for an August game. Their character designs all tend to flow together with the only difference being the school uniforms from game to game, so seeing their usual style applied to something more fantasy-like was refreshing.

Anyway here's hoping enough people are buying this and Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai so someday they'll decide to throw us an all-ages version of Fortune Arterial.

Edit: Though if anyone can explain to me what the heck 不蝕金鎖 is supposed to mean I'd be in your debt. I mean I get that it's a made-up mafia or something or other for the game but I don't get where they're going with that title. 'Un-spoiled Golden Chain?' 'Un-hidden Golden Chain'? I guess it would sound cooler if I knew what it was supposed to mean.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Mar 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

gay skull posted:

I kinda wish Apollo Justice & AAI would come out on iOS.

see, i only played 999 and while it was really really good i don't know if i can bring myself to play VLR knowing that it's going to leave me hanging out for a sequel that'll never happen. it's too much!!