Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

repeating posted:

It should seamlessly transition.

It seems like the billing system treats it as you having a (whatever your plan is)+(data stash remaining amount) plan.

Oh good, thank you.

Mow I can deal with affairs while continuing on my 8 hour Ingress binges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Speaking of data stash, where does it show on the t-mo account page?
I switched from nerd plan -> 2GB ->3GB dec/january, but don't see it on my account page.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Qu Appelle posted:

So, I'm on the 3.0 GB plan. I usually don't come close to hitting that, but I am this month due to a family emergency. I've used 2.6 GB out of 3.0, and my cycle doesn't renew until 3/2. I have my 10 GB Data Stash still, yet the phone is emailing me warnings about signal throttling and prompting me to upgrade.

Is it going to seamlessly start to take from my 10 GB Data Stash, or will I have to worry about having my internet cut off when trying to look up bus schedules in small town Wisconsin?

I ran over on a hotspot account and the device threw a warning and told me I was out of high speed but it just keep working. On the website the usage shows up as "On network datapass'

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Qwijib0 posted:

I ran over on a hotspot account and the device threw a warning and told me I was out of high speed but it just keep working. On the website the usage shows up as "On network datapass'

Awesome. Thank you!

(BTW, T-Mobile was amazing when I had a death in the family 8 years ago - my minutes usage went up from about 60 to 1,000 minutes, I was able to call them, explain the situation, and they signed me on a new contract retroactively, so I wouldn't be hit with a ton of overage fees. It's a moot point now because now I'm on unlimited minutes, but it was great when I needed it.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Speaking of data stash, where does it show on the t-mo account page?
I switched from nerd plan -> 2GB ->3GB dec/january, but don't see it on my account page.

It shows up on the usage overview for me. Just click Usage at the top of My T-Mobile.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

It shows up on the usage overview for me. Just click Usage at the top of My T-Mobile.
I dont even see any usage info. My account must still have a prepaid flag in there somewhere.
I'll go talk to them at some point, its not that critical.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
T-Mobile USA revealed their LTE expansion plans for this year at Deutsche Telekom's Capital Markets Day. It's aggressive to say the least with lots of LTE in areas that currently have no native coverage and even some in areas with no roaming coverage. Here's hoping they can pull it off!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Using Band 12 lets them cover much more area with LTE than the frequencies they were using previously.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Rastor posted:

Using Band 12 lets them cover much more area with LTE than the frequencies they were using previously.
Ugh, that means I'm going to have to replace my Nexus 5 if I want to get that sweet rural coverage.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

butt dickus posted:

Ugh, that means I'm going to have to replace my Nexus 5 if I want to get that sweet rural coverage.
Same.
I'm seriously banking on the Z4 being good enough to jump on.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

iPhone 6 has band 12 support right?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

LionYeti posted:

iPhone 6 has band 12 support right?

LOL, no.

6S might next year, but the 6 was in development long before anything was deployed on band 12.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Band 12 compatibility list:

Rastor posted:

To use them you will need one of the phones on this list.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Amazingly the new Moto E has band 12.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

All it's missing is a drat LED flash.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

nimper posted:

All it's missing is a drat LED flash.

Yeah, they added LTE and a front camera but still no flash? :psyduck:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Sadly my area is blacked out because of some tv station.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Rastor posted:

Band 12 compatibility list:

It says on the page that the 6 will be compatible with a software upgrade this year.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
Motolola's page says the nexus 6 covers bands 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26, 29, 41. That would work on the expanded LTE coverage, right? It looks like the XT1093 version of the moto x has band 12 as well.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

According to T-Mobile's band 12 compatibility list, the Nexus 6 needs a software update to unlock band 12 support, which is coming "early 2015."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm going through a bit of a swappa nightmare right now do to an issue with T-Mobile's IMEI checker. I paid off a phone last year, sold it on Sunday, and sent it out on Monday with a clean IMEI. Two days later, swappa staff and the buyer check the IMEI on http://www.t-mobile.com/verifyimei.aspx and it now shows up as being financed. Funny thing is, all the phones I've paid off on my account show up as under finance.

Anyone had to deal with this before? T-Mobile tech support hasn't been able to do much for me besides say "weird, our systems say your phone's paid off. good luck convincing the buyer tho lol"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Boy, I guess nobody's ever had to deal with this before.

After getting T-Mobile to send the buyer an email directly saying the IMEI was clear and that their webpage was screwing up, the buyer opted to return the device because he didn't feel comfortable. Who knows how Swappa is going to handle this one, I'm probably going to get lovely feedback and look like a dick even though I did my best to work with everyone.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
T-Mobile and its free international data and texts for postpaid customers rules. I can even use hangouts or my own SIP service to make calls.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I have a possibly retarded question. I'm with Sprint and considering switching to TMobile, so I did the "test drive" thing that they offer, and they sent me an iPhone 5, which is apparently the only thing they loan out for this thing.

Neither Sprint nor Verizon really gets coverage inside my house, so that's what I was most curious about. When inside, the bar at the top of the phone showed either one or two of the little circles filled in, but nothing else next to it. When I was out and about it said LTE next to the dots, so I know that it should display something about the type of data connection I'm currently on. Being neither a TMobile customer nor a user of iPhones, I didn't know what the different network indicators I could expect to see at the top were. When I returned the phone, I asked the guy at the TMobile store what it means when it doesn't say anything up at the top, and he told me that's not possible, that it always says something, and that it must have said 4G and I just didn't notice it.

Did I somehow not see the indicator that tells me what type of connection I have (I certainly noticed the LTE indicator when it was present), or is the guy at the TMobile store lying to me?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

He's bullshitting. No icon means you don't have a data connection but can still make/receive calls. Happens with my iPhone 6 whenever I'm in an area like that.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 9, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Could it be that the phone was doing a no data roam onto AT&T?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nah, if I go deep into my office building, my iPhone loses everything down to what he's describing, and will often lose connection altogether. He just has a lousy signal in his house and the T-Mobile rep doesn't know what he's talking about.

The signal indicators you'll see are LTE, 4G, EDGE, and nothing.

Keep in mind that if you get a phone with Wifi calling, you can use that in your home so actual cellular signal becomes somewhat less important.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
For what it's worth iOS 8 has wifi calling on iphone 5s/5c and up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a little strange that the tryout phone isn't one of those since Wifi calling is a useful feature you'd think they'd want to show off.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Thanks, I was pretty sure I wasn't losing my mind, but the guy insisted several times that I must have been on 4G and just "didn't see it." I had initially assumed it meant no data connection, but I wanted to be sure.

Now I just have to figure out if I should bother switching or not since all three of the carriers that I've tested barely get any kind of signal at my house.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Mnemosyne posted:

Now I just have to figure out if I should bother switching or not since all three of the carriers that I've tested barely get any kind of signal at my house.

T-Mobile does have wifi calling and the newer handsets handoff seamlessly between wifi and cell towers.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Does wifi calling route texts over Wi-Fi too? My main thing in poor service areas is texts failing to send.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

FordPRefectLL posted:

Does wifi calling route texts over Wi-Fi too? My main thing in poor service areas is texts failing to send.

Yes it does.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Brock Landers posted:

Yes it does.

With the caveat that mms is still hit or miss over wifi. Haven't has issues with sms in a while though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
FWIW MMS works for me on Note 4+Hangouts+Wifi Calling by adding the mms port=80 setting to the APN configured under Hangouts.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

T-Mobile decided that I was a loyal customer, and consequently decided to give me Unlimited 4G for the rest of 2015!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Loyal customers already on Unlimited 4G can apparently go get hosed.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

ruby idiot railed posted:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ruby idiot railed posted:

The next level up should be unlimited tethering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Qu Appelle posted:

T-Mobile decided that I was a loyal customer, and consequently decided to give me Unlimited 4G for the rest of 2015!

Same here. I'm not sure if I should go :dance: or not, seeing that I don't use that much data anyway, especially with most music service services not counting against it. And I lose my data stash so when I get reset back it'll be gone.

Eh, it's nice I guess?