Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Happy mask salesman confirmed for Zelda Wii U's villain.

At last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why would you do that when you could shove Goron Spikes right up his rear end?

Should I just requote what I posted or what?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Happy Mask Salesman for Hyrule Warriors

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax

Spacebump posted:

Or if they put out a third 3DS game with N64ish assets. A third game for the Hero of Time could be fun.

Following the naming convention of ALBW -

Ocarina From Space

dealing with the dangerous origins of the Sun's Song and the consequences of yoinking heavenly bodies along their orbits just to suit some hasty elf's schedule.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FirstAidKite posted:

Happy Mask Salesman for Hyrule Warriors

If you can't grab enemies and shake them to death like babies like Link returning with the mask at beginning I'm going to be disappointed.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

Who cares, some teasing is happening on Miiverse

That's the Mask's Salesman and that's an official account. Imagine if Zelda Wii U has masks!

This excites me. I'd be happy to see the Happy Mask Salesman again, and THE Happy Mask Salesman. Not his great great great great grandson or grandfather.

It's plausible. He obviously has some mysterious quality to him. He collects occult masks and has the ability to fade away at will (see the end of Majora's Mask) Maybe he'll be like The Doctor and can travel across time and space, or something like Quantum Leap. His work in Termina was done so he is off.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It's probably just new Hylian Warriors DLC

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's probably just new Hylian Warriors DLC

They made a game based on Lake Hylia???

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Strawberry Panda posted:

They made a game based on Lake Hylia???

Yeah it was a not so successful spin off of Hyrule Warriors released solely in the Kansai region of Japan.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Spectacle Rock posted:

This excites me. I'd be happy to see the Happy Mask Salesman again, and THE Happy Mask Salesman. Not his great great great great grandson or grandfather.

It's plausible. He obviously has some mysterious quality to him. He collects occult masks and has the ability to fade away at will (see the end of Majora's Mask) Maybe he'll be like The Doctor and can travel across time and space, or something like Quantum Leap. His work in Termina was done so he is off.

He found Majora's Mask in the void between dimensions, so certainly. MM's salesman is also the same person as in OoT, giving further proof he can travel between dimensions. The fact that he could grab the mask at all without being affected (much) shows he has almost godlike powers. He's just stupid enough to get mugged and isn't good at physical combat (otherwise he'd retrieved the Majora's Mask himself. Additionally, he is carrying Mario's and Elvis' captured souls on his back.

If anyone can travel through time or live forever, it's him.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Finally finished Link's Awakening. Now I've got the following left:

-Zelda II
-Oracle of Ages/Seasons
-Spirit Tracks

I'm thinking I'll save Zelda II for last because it's such a pain but between Oracle of Ages/Seasons and finishing up Spirit Tracks which one do people think I should do first?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

If you liked LA, jump right into the Oracle series, they're really fun and very similar.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

axeil posted:

Finally finished Link's Awakening. Now I've got the following left:

-Zelda II
-Oracle of Ages/Seasons
-Spirit Tracks

I'm thinking I'll save Zelda II for last because it's such a pain but between Oracle of Ages/Seasons and finishing up Spirit Tracks which one do people think I should do first?

Are you playing to completion? If so, Ages/Seasons is a really, really long haul, if that helps you decide.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Spirit Tracks, Seasons, Ages, Adventure of Link.

Because it's best to get the not-controlled-with-the-loving-d-pad game out of the way first (it's a good game) and because Ages/Seasons is pretty drat huge when coupled together.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Spirit Tracks is awful

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Great soundtrack tho.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Are you playing to completion? If so, Ages/Seasons is a really, really long haul, if that helps you decide.

Yeah, finishing all the Zelda games. I'm curious where I left off in Spirit Tracks. I might actually be kind of close to the end.

Moriatti posted:

If you liked LA, jump right into the Oracle series, they're really fun and very similar.

Who doesn't like Link's Awakening? The only annoying part about it is how many times you have to go back to town for really obtuse things (Bow-Wow, the flying chicken, etc).

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

axeil posted:

Yeah, finishing all the Zelda games. I'm curious where I left off in Spirit Tracks. I might actually be kind of close to the end.

Who doesn't like Link's Awakening? The only annoying part about it is how many times you have to go back to town for really obtuse things (Bow-Wow, the flying chicken, etc).

I'd either jump right into the Oracle series, or wait until after you finish ST incase you hate that and need a reprieve before Zelda 2.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

axeil posted:

Link's Awakening is in my top 3 favorite Zeldas, I replayed it recently and it holds up extremely well. I just wish it didn't prompt you with text every time you brush up against a rock. Really the power bracelet at least should have somehow been a permanent add-on rather than an item to select.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Moriatti posted:

I'd either jump right into the Oracle series, or wait until after you finish ST incase you hate that and need a reprieve before Zelda 2.

I picked Spirit Tracks back up and I immediately remembered why I stopped playing. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to have the whole game done via touch controls? Also it takes forever to get anywhere in the train :(

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

axeil posted:

I picked Spirit Tracks back up and I immediately remembered why I stopped playing. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to have the whole game done via touch controls? Also it takes forever to get anywhere in the train :(

Yeah but you get to listen to the best overworld theme in the series as you do it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Link Between Worlds should let you pick which overworld themes you want after beating the game

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Zelda II is actually really short, probably one of the shortest games in the series. It's my favorite of the series, but I'm in the minority on that opinion.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's a really good game and a shame there aren't a lot like it. Nintendo should make another like it, with better difficulty curve and probably something that isn't Zelda.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Zelda II has an okay beginning, but seriously, the hordes of knife fights in tiny tunnels that also happen to have invisible pitfalls (in one case, right after a long cave full of Lizalfos with lava falls) is rear end in a top hat levels of difficult, beyond Metroid or Kid Icarus levels.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't remember invisible pitfalls in death mountain.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Death Mountain is way earlier in the game. The last temple is riddled with invisible pitfalls, and I am fairly certain there are some in the second to last temple as well.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Yup. Zelda II was rife with 'you really should buy nintendo power' type stuff. A guide is a necessity.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can still remember when I was a kid, I stumbled half dead into a town, returning from some dungeon, on my last life. I think I was close to leveling and wanted to not get the game over until I did. Then I accidentally talked to one of the townsfolk who turns into a bat, and was killed.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Why is the loving train in Spirit Tracks so slow? It takes forever to get anywhere.

I'm sorry if anyone here loves it but this has got to be the worst Zelda game out there just because of how bad the controls are and how tedious it is anytime I have to get in the train. It wouldn't be so bad if the train had super-turbo speed (the fast setting isn't nearly fast enough) or if you didn't have to dance around the evil trains but you can't. And the game being controlled entirely by stylus is interesting but it makes it really hard to move effectively. The hardest "boss" I've faced so far was trying to hop on to a box in a lake filled with octorocks and move across it. By the time I had gotten pointed where I wanted to go I got knocked off by the octorocks and since it's nearly impossible to move and attack at the same time I was left with just blowing into the mic as hard as possible and praying I got across. Which reminds me of another thing...

That loving flute :gonk: It's impossible to play anything. How did they not realize how horribly un-fun it is? I can't imagine trying to use that thing anywhere there's even the slightest of sounds.

It's a shame because I see the outlines of a good game there but these issues are so overbearing and glaring I just can't get over them. My save was almost 4 years old and I think I understand now why I put it down and said "gently caress this" back then.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Phantom Hourglass is worse IMO.

Personally I find the train relaxing, but I understand your points. The controls are indeed a pain. Don't remember the lake of octoroks though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I still like the DS games, but they're definitely below standard for a first party Nintendo game in pretty much every aspect besides music and characters.

Motto fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 15, 2015

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

axeil posted:

Why is the loving train in Spirit Tracks so slow? It takes forever to get anywhere.

I'm sorry if anyone here loves it but this has got to be the worst Zelda game out there just because of how bad the controls are and how tedious it is anytime I have to get in the train. It wouldn't be so bad if the train had super-turbo speed (the fast setting isn't nearly fast enough) or if you didn't have to dance around the evil trains but you can't. And the game being controlled entirely by stylus is interesting but it makes it really hard to move effectively. The hardest "boss" I've faced so far was trying to hop on to a box in a lake filled with octorocks and move across it. By the time I had gotten pointed where I wanted to go I got knocked off by the octorocks and since it's nearly impossible to move and attack at the same time I was left with just blowing into the mic as hard as possible and praying I got across. Which reminds me of another thing...

That loving flute :gonk: It's impossible to play anything. How did they not realize how horribly un-fun it is? I can't imagine trying to use that thing anywhere there's even the slightest of sounds.

It's a shame because I see the outlines of a good game there but these issues are so overbearing and glaring I just can't get over them. My save was almost 4 years old and I think I understand now why I put it down and said "gently caress this" back then.

But man, what a soundtrack.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's especially a shame since Linebeck and Spirit Zelda are some of my favorite characters in the series.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Plus the lokomo is one of the best swords in the series, and Byrne is great

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I liked Spirit Tracks :smith:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Steelion posted:

I liked Spirit Tracks :smith:

So did I

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Motto posted:

It's especially a shame since Linebeck and Spirit Zelda are some of my favorite characters in the series.

This, except I liked PH because I didn't have a problem with stylus controls.

ST I didn't like because of the horrid overworld travel. The dungeons were good.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I played Spirit tracks with a cheat that made the train invincible and go at like 4x speed and it was still a pain in the rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How long are playthroughs of PH and ST? They're the only Zelda titles I've never played but I hear so much bad poo poo about them and the controls seem really stupid that I fear getting them and never finishing them.

• Locked thread