Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Lone Goat posted:

Danielle's puns on this week's Idle Thumbs were incredible. Cara was also very very good. A+++++ episode.

Her anecdote from the British map guy talking about how SimCity is unmistakably an American game was really interesting. Never really considered that perspective for a thing like SimCity before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

The Milkman posted:

Her anecdote from the British map guy talking about how SimCity is unmistakably an American game was really interesting. Never really considered that perspective for a thing like SimCity before

That was Cara, but yeah it was good.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Did this weeks Idle Thumbs go straight from the ad to the middle of the Full Throttle discussion with no introduction or theme song or do I need to redownload?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
im just happy "video games" is back in the thumbs theme. last week i had to rip my earbuds out in rage and throw my phone out of the moving car because that poo poo is not canon imo hth tia

also i hope people check out both cities skylines and ori and the forest, they're both SO GREAT

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

im just happy "video games" is back in the thumbs theme. last week i had to rip my earbuds out in rage and throw my phone out of the moving car because that poo poo is not canon imo hth tia

also i hope people check out both cities skylines and ori and the forest, they're both SO GREAT

And you can get both of them for the same price as Assassin's Creed : Rogue, now on Steam.

I'm really glad I bought both of them.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Chris Remo posted:

That was Cara, but yeah it was good.

I knew that, and yet wrote that like I didn't. :11tea:

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
If we don't at least get a short Skype cameo from Cara "Steve Gaynor" Ellison on next week's cast, I'm quitting Idle Thumbs. :colbert:

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
They should at least pretend to call her and play a clip of the Ganon laugh.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I can confirm that skylines is amazing. I've just finished daming off an entire bay and pumping all the water out to make more room. Early attempts have lead to lots of accidental flooding. I'm also using the mod that lets me make 100km^2 maps instead of the 36km^2 that is default, and I am still waiting for a mod that lets me use the full 324km^2 area. I just can't get enough.

Also http://terrain.party/ is great.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

C-Euro posted:

I can't figure out Cara Ellison's accent on the latest IT and it's driving me crazy.

I assume she is scottish but has lived in america for a while and has a kind of hybrid accent. Great episode all round.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jippa posted:

I assume she is scottish but has lived in america for a while and has a kind of hybrid accent. Great episode all round.

I think's its fair to call it a hybrid accent, I mind back when she was on Bombing the AM with Scoops and the Wolf and she sounded drastically more Aberdonian than she does on the latest thumbs. A native scots speaker would be hard pressed to distinguish her from a typical mid-western 'John Barrowman' style accent tbh.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

I can confirm that skylines is amazing. I've just finished daming off an entire bay and pumping all the water out to make more room. Early attempts have lead to lots of accidental flooding. I'm also using the mod that lets me make 100km^2 maps instead of the 36km^2 that is default, and I am still waiting for a mod that lets me use the full 324km^2 area. I just can't get enough.

Also http://terrain.party/ is great.

I can double confirm that Skylines is amazing, I really hope the Thumbs check it out and rave about it, if only to make up for SimCity being their 2013 GOTY.

Also that new Thumbs theme was great as an instrumental, but Chris' interpretation of Video Games as one of Buffalo Bill's victims really makes it something special.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

MASTUR.BAT
REPRODUCTIVE.SYS

Goofy Remo is best Remo.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

As a Scot who has had to do some public speaking to non-Scots, I find my accent changes as soon as I open my mouth so that people can understand what the gently caress I'm even saying.

Enunciating is hard you guys :(

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Cara had a weird hybrid Scottish / American accent in this. And says like so much...

Fun discussions. It's great when someone with genuine enthusiasm is on the cast.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Lugaloco posted:

As a Scot who has had to do some public speaking to non-Scots, I find my accent changes as soon as I open my mouth so that people can understand what the gently caress I'm even saying.

Enunciating is hard you guys :(

Honestly you scots get one of the best deals from british accents to be honest. Every one loves scottish accents. I always felt so sorry for noel gallagher when they would sub title him on MTV in the 90's.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Scottish accents are a delight. Every vowel is a surprise!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Listening to WOFF Extrasode 39 with Gary giving out bad comic advice. Y The Last Man and Transmet are way, way better than Ex Machina and Planetary, respectively.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

The Milkman posted:

I remember the discussion coming up in one of the podcast threads when the Thumbs were all over the new simcity.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Listening to WOFF Extrasode 39 with Gary giving out bad comic advice. Y The Last Man and Transmet are way, way better than Ex Machina and Planetary, respectively.

Respectfully disagree, of course. I think the Y/Ex is more of a gray area but I think Planetary is near perfect. Transmet is great but some of the monkey/cheese stuff didn't age as well for me. Planetary rewards being a comics fan the same way the best Alan Moore work does and it's my favorite execution of the monster-of-the-week style structure in any medium.

It feels silly to be arguing the merits of four comics I love dearly, however.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Woffle posted:

Respectfully disagree, of course. I think the Y/Ex is more of a gray area but I think Planetary is near perfect. Transmet is great but some of the monkey/cheese stuff didn't age as well for me. Planetary rewards being a comics fan the same way the best Alan Moore work does and it's my favorite execution of the monster-of-the-week style structure in any medium.

It feels silly to be arguing the merits of four comics I love dearly, however.

Transmet is great, but for monster of the week you can't beat Global Frequency. I loved it so much I searched out and stored the TV pilot they made from it.

Planetary is basically the perfect comic book. .

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

EC posted:

Transmet is great, but for monster of the week you can't beat Global Frequency. I loved it so much I searched out and stored the TV pilot they made from it.

Planetary is basically the perfect comic book. .

Global Frequency rules. I think I appreciated Planetary's take on comic book revisionist history more, however. That golden age of Warren Ellis is pretty unstoppable though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
On the topic of SimCity being an American expansion into terra nullis, I thought that an interesting philosophically European angle would be to have a Half Life 2 City 17 situation, where an alien architecture is expanding into an existing architecture, literally ripping up the streets and replacing them with something else.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Ramagamma posted:

I think's its fair to call it a hybrid accent, I mind back when she was on Bombing the AM with Scoops and the Wolf and she sounded drastically more Aberdonian than she does on the latest thumbs. A native scots speaker would be hard pressed to distinguish her from a typical mid-western 'John Barrowman' style accent tbh.

Yeah she's just been not-in-scotland for ever so she's gone native. She still writes extremely scottishly though!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
New thread OP near-final draft, want some other eyes on it given that I'm tired as gently caress and am going to bed before I post anything. Please tell me if I ruined a link/name/show you like so I can repair it.

quote:

Mierenneuker posted:

Should have waited until the Ides of March for the new thread.

SUCK IT I DID THIS THIS TIME

Idle Thumbs (member of the Idle Thumbs Cabal)
Idle Thumbs doesn’t follow any particular podcasting format, mainly covering the games they are playing and articles of discussion, be they news or not. Kickstarter brought them back in force, and they now comprise a "cabal" of shows, including the original Thumbs (weekly), Three Moves Ahead (also weekly, see below) and plenty of other 'casts. Easily the show I would recommend if you want anything beyond discussion of the prior week's gaming news.
Host: Chris Remo
Cast: Rotates, but commonly includes 2+ of the following: Jake Rodkin, Sean Vanaman, Danielle Riendeau, Nick Breckon, Steve Gaynor
Links: Site iTunes RSS Twitter

Three Moves Ahead (member of the Idle Thumbs Cabal)
This show is about all manners of strategy games across all platforms. It's quite well-spoken, comes in at a good length per week, and is quite good at avoiding repeating itself in topics. Tends to have rotating guests with some frequency, and episodes can cover broad topics or game-specific discussion from week to week.
Host: Rob Zacny
Cast: Tom Chick, Bruce Geryk, Julian Murdoch, Troy Goodfellow
Links: Site iTunes RSS

DotA Today (member of the Idle Thumbs Cabal)
A Lords-Management podcast which is neither locked to DotA, nor as regular as its name suggests. It's basically the "The Daily Show" of podcasts like that.
Hosts: Sean Vanaman, Brad Muir

Tone Control (member of the Idle Thumbs Cabal)
Ex-Thumb Steve Gaynor's bimonthly interview podcast. The first "season" is over, and its future is probably on hold for now. Still worth a listen just for some of the guests he got on there.
Host: Steve Gaynor

Watch Out For Fireballs! (member of the Duckfeed.tv network)
Biweekly. Sort of like a video game book club: they announce the next podcast's topic, give you two weeks to play the game and give some input, and discuss their own experiences/quote some of the reader feedback for discussion. The hosts have been seen posting in these threads and solicit content from here too, so that's cool.
Hosts: Gary Butterfield and Kole Ross

Abject Suffering (member of the Duckfeed.tv network)
Weekly thanks to a convenient Patreon. Sort of like the dark twin to Watch Out For Fireballs' in-depth discussion, Gary and Kole are 'assigned' lovely games by listeners which they must play for 30 minutes minimum before the show, and it tends to become more improv comedy than actual discussion a lot of the time. If you've ever wanted to hear grown men discuss how Bebe's Kids might be the flashpoint for a race war, this is the show for you.

Bonfireside Chat (member of the Duckfeed.tv network)
A sister podcast to the above Watch Out For Fireballs, focused on the Souls games, their predecessors the King's Field games, and a variety of other Souls-esque topics between major releases. Almost a book-club style show where they'll cover a stage or two each episode and hope to get listeners playing along/discussing it for themselves.

The Level (member of the Duckfeed.tv network)
A general video game show, covering current games, news, and general discussion topics with audience participation. Hosted by forums user Song for the Deaf.
Hosts: Kole Ross, Ben Merkel, Dennis Furia, and David Moneysmith

Retronauts (affiliate of USGamer)
The latest incarnation of the podcast that survived 1UP's collapse, Retronauts focuses on... well, classic games. If none of the hosts know enough about a topic from experience, you'd better believe they'll research it or find someone who CAN speak to the subject. I absolutely adore this and I'm going to stop gushing now. Give it a try if you never have and enjoy looking down memory lane/learning about something that might have slipped past you years back. Probably due to their hosts' working there, is now an associate of USGamer.
Hosts: Jeremy Parish, TV's Bob Mackey

From US to You! (affiliate of USGamer)
Weekly(ish) discussion show from USGamer, usually in a shorter vein and a more focused discussion (generally punctuated by the Kat Bailey Sports Minute out of nowhere) from episode to episode. Just began, still finding its feet, so it's kind of hard for me to give a simple summary. Try it if you like some of their regulars, though.
Host: Jeremy Parish
Guests: a panel consisting of some of the following from week to week - Bob Mackey, Kat Bailey, Jaz Rignall, others (sorry fellas it's 7AM here and I'm tired)
Links: Site iTunes RSS Soundcloud

Axe of the Blood God (affiliate of USGamer)
Weekly (so far) RPG-focused podcast. The successor to prior shows Roleplayer's Realm (RIP Gamepro) and Active Time Babble (RIP 1UP), Kat Bailey goes for the hat trick in reviving the show under a new name at a new site. I pray to god this one lasts, because we have yet to get Bob Mackey to christen it by shooting Kingdom Hearts in the kneecaps verbally.
Host: Kat Bailey

Video Games Hot Dog
Humorous podcast from the creators of Kingdom of Loathing. Includes some discussion of board games, puzzles and IF (interactive fiction/text adventures). The Monkees to Idle Thumbs' Beatles. Occasionally gets splashed with cold water and becomes Video Games Taco.
Hosts: Zack Johnson, Kevin Simmons, Riff Conner, Jim Crawford

The Crate & Crowbar
A PC-centric podcast which is spoken highly of and I really need to finish giving this a shot given that I work graveyard almost exclusively now. Kill me. (I've heard an ep or two and it's good but I don't know if that was due to guests vs. their regular output.)
Cast: Tom Francis, Graham Smith, Marsh Davies, Tom Senior, Chris Thursten

Giant Bombcast
The Giant Bomb crew discuss what they are playing, preview impressions of upcoming titles, gaming news, and wild tangents. what the actual gently caress, Dan Ryckert. For the most part you may as well take Bombcast chat into the Giant Bomb thread in Rapidly Going Deaf. (Yes, it is intentional that this thread is in Games and that one is in RGD. Mods moved them both.)
Host: Ryan Davis Jeff Gerstmann
Cast: Vinny Caravella, Brad Shoemaker, Drew Scanlon, Dan Ryckert

General discussion shows about games.

:norway: RadCrew Show Note: This podcast is NOT in English.
Grab some Lutefisk, and relax on your nearest fjord as fellow goon Cellophane S brings you all the gaming news you need with a Scandinavian twist.
Cast: Cellophane S and I’m guessing a bunch of Norwegian dudes.
Links: Site RSS

Gamers With Jobs Conference Call
Discussion of current games, news, boardgames, etc. Your bog-standard gaming podcast, hopefully you like the people in question. Done via Skype, so that's weird for some folks.
Host: Shawn Andrich
Cast: Sean Sands, Julian Murdoch, Cory Banks, Robert Borges

On The Stick
It's another 4 guys talking about games podcast, but they cover a lot of games other shows don't. Only knocks against it are that it doesn't seem to have a set schedule, and episodes can be talking about games and events from a month or longer ago.

One Life Left
UK show. It's run by an independent radio station in London (Resonance FM) and is run like a radio show, not a podcast. It's hard to pin down exactly what that means, but there's a different feel. They have sweet commissioned chip tunes interspersed throughout, if you're into that sort of thing, and run radio style news sections and interviews.
Hosts: Ste Curran, Simon Byron, Ann Scantlebury

These podcasts focus on a specific topic, system, genre, and/or do not follow the traditional format.

Chrontendo/Chronturbo/Chronsega
Video podcast updating sporadically, focusing on one man ("Dr. Sparkle") playing every game from the 8-bit era (on the Famicom/NES, Turbo-Grafx, and Sega Master System, specifically) in release order. It's quite well-produced and researched and worth giving a try.
Host: Dr. Sparkle

Roguelike Radio
A podcast about roguelikes. The regular attendees are pretty much all roguelike developers, but try to involve members of the wider roguelike community if talking about a specific game. Have also interviewed some of the bigger names in roguelikes (such as Glen Wichmann) and roguelike-likes (such as Edmund McMillen and Derek Yu).
Host: Ryan Boyd.

Gaming History 101
It's Retronauts gone casual. It's live, takes a topic of gaming history and discusses it, but covers different ground from Retronauts (VHS consoles for example), with their broadcast's chat contributing on occasion. Their YouTube page is different from the podcast and largely hosts the occasional let's play and reviewing of games, but is included for good measure.

Hosts: Fred Rojas, Jamalais
Official Site Alt Site Podcast Site iTunes RSS YouTube

8-4 Play
Biweekly. 8-4 is a localization company bringing games from Japan to Western Markets. They also do a podcast covering games, and Japan.
Cast: Mark MacDonald, John Ricciardi, Hiroko Minamoto

Vidjagame Apocalypse
A comedy show about video games. Every episode begins with a "top 5" list of some absurd variety, and then spins off into discussion of recent news or whatever comes to mind from the cast.

Tangentially Related

Laser Time/VGMpire
From the network that brought you Vidjagame Apocalypse, two other excellent shows. The former isn't entirely a games podcast (it's more comedy based with each episode having a theme), but the latter focuses on video game music. Mentioned because if I don't put these here, I'd look like a hypocrite for adding...

No More Whoppers
Features Ray Barnholt and Alex Fraioli. Not solidly gaming-related, more of a comedy show from two friends (think a My Brother, My Brother and Me-type show). Since Ray is an ex-1UP writer and still a Retronauts regular (where they occasionally promo this for him) it is totally staying in the OP.

Retsutalk
A podcast about whatever the hell they come up with from episode to episode run by forum users Slowbeef and Diabetus, who regularly pull in other SA Let's Players/internet folks as guests to discuss their content and to have general video game discussions. Topics have included chatting with other SA/Let's Play folks, random games one or the other are exceedingly fond of, or Breaking Bad. Arguably the least regular show in this entire OP.

The stuff people brought up in the twilight of the last thread hoping others would give it a shot. I haven't heard any of these yet, so if some suck or are astounding, do tell!

add cane and rinse, pocket gamer, gamewank, bit socket

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Brad hosts the Bombcast now

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

If you want to be my hero, co-list Tone Control and Designer Notes as more or less the same show, as Designer Notes is almost the same show as Tone Control but is 1) hosted by Soren Johnson instead of Steve Gaynor, and 2) actually still publishing episodes.

Don't ever change that description of VGHD because I think it kinda irks zack.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I hope my comment didn't haunt you for the past twelve and a half months.

I don't even remember posting that. Time sure flies.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Spawn on Me is a cool podcast about video games and social issues in games.

Timett posted:

Brad hosts the Bombcast now

Also, Vinny is not likely to be on the podcast too much on account of living on the other side of the country.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

ja2ke posted:

If you want to be my hero, co-list Tone Control and Designer Notes as more or less the same show, as Designer Notes is almost the same show as Tone Control but is 1) hosted by Soren Johnson instead of Steve Gaynor, and 2) actually still publishing episodes.

Don't ever change that description of VGHD because I think it kinda irks zack.

No way, I love it the most.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

New thread OP near-final draft, want some other eyes on it given that I'm tired as gently caress and am going to bed before I post anything. Please tell me if I ruined a link/name/show you like so I can repair it.

The Crate & Crowbar
A PC-centric podcast which is spoken highly of and I really need to finish giving this a shot given that I work graveyard almost exclusively now. Kill me. (I've heard an ep or two and it's good but I don't know if that was due to guests vs. their regular output.)
Cast: Tom Francis, Graham Smith, Marsh Davies, Tom Senior, Chris Thursten
Threw in the C&C cast Twitter links for you. I could update the description, but I prefer your raw take on these things.

Dr. Stab posted:

Also, Vinny is not likely to be on the podcast too much on account of living on the other side of the country.
Yeah, if anything Jason Oestreicher needs to go in that list.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I'd like to see Minnesota Public Radio's (yes really) Top Score on there. It's a weekly show where host Emily Reese interviews people involved in composing the music for video games. It's a bit public radio-y, for obvious reasons, but it's an interesting look at a side of games that doesn't get much real attention. More recent episodes have been interviews with Winifred Phillips, composer for Little Big Planet 3 and Assassin's Creed Liberation; Jason Graves for Evolve and The Order; Peter McConnell for Grim Fandango and Hearthstone; Jukio Kallio for Luftrausers; and Ben Prunty for FTL.

Cast: Emily Reese and weekly guest
Links: Twitter Site iTunes RSS

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Whoa subscribing to Top Score immediately. Awesome.

Edit: just listened to the Peter McConnell episodes about the scores to Grim Fandango and Hearthstone. Super good stuff.

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 16, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Gameinformer has their podcast, which is relatively short (about an hour each) and they usually focus on the newest games in segments. The cast is a rotation of whoever reviewed the game, so there's no real core. There could possibly be a total of 9 per podcast because 3 could be per segment.

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/gishow.aspx

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
How about Cane and Rinse podcast?

They seem to do plays of older games then comment about them.
rss feed , iTunes, and twitter.

They also have a podcast about game music, the sound of play.

Edit:broken brackets fixed.

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 15, 2015

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

We've got twitters if you want to list them. @garybuh and @koleross.

Also, and I don't mean to be prescriptive, but it'd be nice if Check it Out, Comrade was listed too. http://duckfeed.tv/comrade

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.
Thanks for adding From US to You! and Axe of the Blood God to the main list. Much appreciated.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Giant Bomb and Super Best Friend Cast both have their own RGD threads, might as well include those links somewhere.

Rest of it looks good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TetsuoTW posted:

I'd like to see Minnesota Public Radio's (yes really) Top Score on there. It's a weekly show where host Emily Reese interviews people involved in composing the music for video games. It's a bit public radio-y, for obvious reasons, but it's an interesting look at a side of games that doesn't get much real attention. More recent episodes have been interviews with Winifred Phillips, composer for Little Big Planet 3 and Assassin's Creed Liberation; Jason Graves for Evolve and The Order; Peter McConnell for Grim Fandango and Hearthstone; Jukio Kallio for Luftrausers; and Ben Prunty for FTL.

Cast: Emily Reese and weekly guest
Links: Twitter Site iTunes RSS

Unless I missed it skimming over the episode titles, they've never interviewed Jake Kaufman, C418, or Danny Baranowsky? Have they never tried, I feel like all three of those dudes have been pretty open to interviews and stuff, and they're clearly not averse to indie music interviews if they're doing stuff like Bastion. Honestly surprised me that they've skipped over some of the best indie composers in the industry after 132 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I haven't listened to that podcast but it seems like it's intended for more of a classical crossover audience than a gamer/VGM audience, so guys like virt or Danny B who are heavy on kitsch and low on "prestige" aren't gonna be in their wheelhouse.

• Locked thread