Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Forced carbonation uses pressure to force CO2 into solution, while the méthod champenoise uses yeast to cause a secondary fermentation in the bottle, carbonating the beverage.

marmot25 posted:

They're back in stock at the Berkeley Cask now after having disappeared for a few couple months over the winter.

Thanks for the hot tip man, I was there a month ago and the lady promised she would order some more.

My roommate's parents are visiting and he wanted me to make a punch to show them how we do. So of course I made

Regent's Punch

8 oz. BarSol pisco (if you don't like pisco, a VSOP cognac will make for a richer end product)
2 oz. Smith and Cross
2 oz. Batavia arrack
2 oz. pineapple syrup
1 oz. maraschino
4 oz. white sugar
2 navel oranges
2 lemons
1 Seville oranges
1 pint strong green tea
2 bottles champagne
optional: soda water to taste

The pineapple syrup is made by steeping freshly cubed pineapple in some rich demerara syrup (2:1) for around 24 hours, then straining it through cheesecloth and giving it a good squeeze to get all the last drops out. The citrus peels are muddled with the sugar (I did mine overnight), and then juiced/strained as usual. Dissolve the sugar with the green tea, add the juice, the syrup, and the maraschino. If you'd like, at this point you can also add the liquor and be able to store this shrub in the fridge for quite some time. In any case, when ready to serve, pour the shrub in a bowl (I stuck my heavy glass bowl in the freezer for an hour or so beforehand), then slowly add in the champagne. Depending on what sparkling wine you use it may end up being quite tart, so a healthy dollop of soda water can lighten it nicely.

My roommate said to plan for around 20 people, so I did a triple batch. Only 9 people ended up coming through, but that bowl got drained. It was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Vya sweet is so good in a negroni, much softer than carpano. I love junipero and it was $10 off at bevmo so I made one just the way I like it - 2 dash regans no. 6 and a dash of scrappys cardamom bitters served on a block. Perfect way to start the evening. I absolutely love the cardamom in my negronis.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm moving at the beginning of April, and I'm going to have a housewarming party. Maybe 10-12 people, nothing huge. I want to get some ingredients for simple mixed drinks. I've got brandy, whiskey (rye and bourbon), gin, and a little dark rum. I think I'm going to get a bottle of white rum, some ginger beer, grenadine, sprite, coke, I have some rose's lime. Is there anything else that I should get for simple stuff to throw together and stir up? I've been considering getting a cocktail shaker set, but I also don't want to be stuck shaking up drinks for everyone all night.

I haven't included vodka, because I don't drink it. I might get a cheap bottle anyway, since so many people do like it.

I know that liquor+soda is kind of scrub tier, but I also know that some of the people coming over love whatever it's called when you mix sprite, grenadine, and gin. And I will fight anyone that doesn't appreciate a nice, strong whiskey and ginger ale.

Is it acceptable to use Rose's lime for a daiquiri, since it's sweetened lime juice, and a daiquiri is rum, lime, and sugar?

edit: Forgot to say, I also have tonic water, and I think I'm just going to buy some limes. Lime garnish is really common.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 11, 2015

tynam
May 14, 2007

Rose's lime is fine for a daiquiri. Limes and lemons are always useful with drinks, not just as garnishes but for juices.

Not sure how you're planning on making the daiquiri without a shaker, although I guess you could stir it instead. I'd say grab a shaker set anyways since you might use it again in the future, and it's always fun for guests to shake their own drinks.

With only 10-12 people, you probably don't need to go overboard on the mixers, but orange juice is always handy, as well as regular soda water. Basically, stuff that you can easily consume if you have leftovers.

Or skip all the hassle and just ask Kenning for a punch recipe that fits your needs - they're pretty drat good.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tynam posted:

Rose's lime is fine for a daiquiri.
No.

NO.

quote:

Or skip all the hassle and just ask Kenning for a punch recipe that fits your needs - they're pretty drat good.

How can you have one opinion so wrong and the other spot on?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Never use Rose's lime juice.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Hebug posted:

Also, Rose's Grenadine isn't even made from pomegranate.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I used to keep a bottle of lime syrup on hand to make daiquiris when I got home from work in the blazing hot summer and wanted to make a quick one with a decent mixing rum. But not Rose's, definitely not. Rose's grenadine isn't even grenadine at all.

I just got back from my honeymoon on St. Lucia, a gift from my in-laws, and it was cocktail paradise. They had menus of mixed and blended drinks like Bahama Mamas and Dirty Bananas, and I did drink plenty of those, but they also had a great selection of the good stuff. Their "rail" rum was Coruba and a glass of Appleton 12yr was free for the asking, even at the pool bar. (Strangely, they didn't use any Lucian rum, possibly because the resort is Jamaican-owned.) I also learned that everyone on the island drinks Campari, but the bartenders will appear stunned if someone with an American accent orders it. Like, one night the specialty drink was an Americano, and when I ordered it, they asked me if I knew for certain what I was requesting.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Hebug posted:

I prefer my gimlets Marlowe-style. That's really all I use it for, but I loving love gimlets. I always forget how much I love them until I make one.

What brand grenadine should I get? I'll look at maybe getting a cheap shaker set and a juicer. Not one of those juice machines, just the thing you push the citrus down onto to squeeze it out.

I'm not going to do punch because odds are I wouldn't get through a whole bowl of it. There's going to be beer, cider (for celiac people) and wine (for celiac people) on top of the liquor.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What brand grenadine should I get? I'll look at maybe getting a cheap shaker set and a juicer. Not one of those juice machines, just the thing you push the citrus down onto to squeeze it out.
Just buy some pomegranate juice and add sugar. It's a somewhat silly ingredient to buy premade.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You make simple syrup with pomegranate juice instead of water, basically. You can add a few drops of rose water as well.

e:fb

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh, okay then. So the same 1/1 ratio as simple syrup?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I like equal parts cold- and hot-process grenadine, per Paul Clarke.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm moving at the beginning of April, and I'm going to have a housewarming party. Maybe 10-12 people, nothing huge. I want to get some ingredients for simple mixed drinks. I've got brandy, whiskey (rye and bourbon), gin, and a little dark rum. I think I'm going to get a bottle of white rum, some ginger beer, grenadine, sprite, coke, I have some rose's lime. Is there anything else that I should get for simple stuff to throw together and stir up? I've been considering getting a cocktail shaker set, but I also don't want to be stuck shaking up drinks for everyone all night.

I haven't included vodka, because I don't drink it. I might get a cheap bottle anyway, since so many people do like it.

I know that liquor+soda is kind of scrub tier, but I also know that some of the people coming over love whatever it's called when you mix sprite, grenadine, and gin. And I will fight anyone that doesn't appreciate a nice, strong whiskey and ginger ale.

Is it acceptable to use Rose's lime for a daiquiri, since it's sweetened lime juice, and a daiquiri is rum, lime, and sugar?

edit: Forgot to say, I also have tonic water, and I think I'm just going to buy some limes. Lime garnish is really common.

tynam posted:

A batch of Limmer's Club Punch will be cheap (get a handle of Bombay Dry or Beefeater or New Amsterdam or even Seagram's or something for $20), popular, and a lot easier than mixing up drinks all night. Since a handle is roughly 60 oz. you can make a 6× batch very easily, and that will fit perfectly into a 12-quart bowl. Get some clear plastic 9 oz. cups to serve it in, and make a 2 or 3 quart ice block using a plastic or stainless steel bowl in your freezer. Boom.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I might try that punch recipe, but not a huge bowl of it. It does sound good, but there's going to be beer and cider and possibly wine too, so I don't think I would get through 2.25 gallons of it.

Liquor question: I know that purely distilled beverages are gluten free because the distillation leaves behind all of the proteins in the grain, but I also know some liquors have additives that contain gluten, like fireball. Is there a way to tell which ones are gluten free, aside from the ones that advertise it? Am I safe if I just avoid lovely flavored liquors? What about higher end ones, like the bird dog blackberry whiskey, or Leopold brothers apple whiskey? I love Leopold brothers.

Before someone jumps on me for caring about gluten free, at least two of the people there either have celiac, or have an increased risk due to other autoimmune diseases. I personally prefer the chew of gluten and don't care about it in my booze.

Kenning, when you say 2:1 simple syrup in that recipe, is that two parts water or two parts sugar?

edit: I'm asking all sorts of poo poo. I know vermouth goes sour after a week or two. Can you preserve it by putting a shot of vodka in it like that article said you could the grenadine? If no, are there any vermouth makers that sell in those 4 packs of little tiny bottles like you can get cheap wine in? My fiancee's best friend likes vodka martinis, but I like her anyway. It would be cool if I could make one for her when she comes over without having to waste a bunch of vermouth or be forced into drinking a bunch of cocktails before it goes bad.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 13, 2015

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

edit: I'm asking all sorts of poo poo. I know vermouth goes sour after a week or two. Can you preserve it by putting a shot of vodka in it like that article said you could the grenadine? If no, are there any vermouth makers that sell in those 4 packs of little tiny bottles like you can get cheap wine in? My fiancee's best friend likes vodka martinis, but I like her anyway. It would be cool if I could make one for her when she comes over without having to waste a bunch of vermouth or be forced into drinking a bunch of cocktails before it goes bad.

Keep it cold and it should be good for a week or two. If it's really a concern buy smaller bottles more often.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You can't really preserve vermouth. FYI, most people who like vodka martinis hate vermouth, but just in case go ahead and see if you can buy a half bottle of Noilly Prat. That way you won't waste too much if it doesn't get consumed. Also, dry vermouth is fantastic as a liquor to use when steaming mussels or other seafood, so there's no reason to waste it, really. Also it doesn't go off in a week. It's perfectly serviceable for at least a month if you store it in the fridge.

2:1 sugar:water is the ratio for a rich simple syrup, yes.

Regarding the size of the punch, don't think in terms of gallons. Think in terms of standard drinks, which are .6 oz. of ethanol (about the same as 12 oz. of beer or a 5 or 6 oz. glass of wine). That punch contains 40 standard drinks. I've found that for a serious party where people are looking to have a couple drinks you can bet on 3 standard drinks per person. Therefore a punch that contains 40 standard drinks is good for about 12 to 15 people, if that's all they're drinking. A fifth of gin is typically just shy of 17 standard drinks, which means it's good for 5 or 6 people. A fifth is about 25 oz., so it's easy to scale with the Limmer's Club recipe as well. It is true that beer and wine can be saved much more easily than can punch, so having the punch be a bit smaller isn't a terrible idea.

Good luck!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

My vermouth is too old so I had a Churchill martini. Mmm, gin.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've never made a churchill, because I don't have a shaker. But I have had gin on the rocks when I didn't have any mixers. Tasty.

Is the Flor de Cana four year their white rum, or is there something else? I went to two big stores today, and all I could find was the 4, 8, 12, and 18 year.

Is there a cheaper liqueur similar to cointreau? Thinking about this reminded me that I have most of a bottle of Remy Martin VS that I bought about half a year ago. It turns out, I don't really like brandy by itself. It's not bad, it's just too similar to whiskey, and I prefer whiskey. I do like sidecars, but I don't like spending another $40 on a bottle of cointreau, since the recipe I saw for a sidecar is 1/1/1 brandy, lemon, and cointreau.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a cheaper liqueur similar to cointreau? Thinking about this reminded me that I have most of a bottle of Remy Martin VS that I bought about half a year ago. It turns out, I don't really like brandy by itself. It's not bad, it's just too similar to whiskey, and I prefer whiskey. I do like sidecars, but I don't like spending another $40 on a bottle of cointreau, since the recipe I saw for a sidecar is 1/1/1 brandy, lemon, and cointreau.
I think triple sec is the usual substitute.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Try DeKuyper O3. It's not identical to Cointreau (sweeter and with a stronger orange flavour) but it's surprisingly good. I like it just as much as Cointreau.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Cointreau is 100% essential in my bar. I think it's one of the most perfect liqueurs out there. Totally worth the $40.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Cointreau is what you use when you have no Grand Marnier (aka The Good StuffTM).

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Grenadine? Drink like a pirate (we got this recipe, I believe, from BrianMiller's run at death&co).

32oz not from concentrate pomegranate juice
3c Demerara sugar
Combine over heat until dissolved but DO NOT boil
Let cool
Stir in 6oz pomegranate molasses
Express oil from 6 half dollar sized orange twists
Keep chilled.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Axetrain posted:

Cointreau is what you use when you have no Grand Marnier (aka The Good StuffTM).

Cointreau is better than Gran Marnier. I will fight anyone who claims otherwise.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment
Some people really like Controy. A very well known restaurant in Nogales, Mexico called La Roca uses just Tequila, Controy, lime juice, and water in their margs, and holy poo poo are they good. Sadly, you can't
get it in the states (I don't think?) and only one bottle per person when bringing booze back across the border.

The GOP Delusion
Sep 10, 2010

The security of Israel is a moral imperative for all free peoples.

Kenning posted:

Cointreau is better than Gran Marnier. I will fight anyone who claims otherwise.

Grand Marnier is what you use when you're not worried that the brandy will gently caress up your drink, Cointreau is what you use on a regular basis. I always have a bottle of Marnier, it just lasts three times as long as Cointreau.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
as a general rule cointreau works better with clear spirits, grand marnier works better with dark spirits. Its not a 100% hard and fast rule but for example subbing Marnier into a margarita when you use Reposado is baller as hell

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 15, 2015

tynam
May 14, 2007

MC Eating Disorder posted:

as a general rule cointreau works better with dark spirits, grand marnier works better with clear spirits. Its not a 100% hard and fast rule but for example subbing Marnier into a margarita when you use Reposado is baller as hell

I think you meant that the other way around. I agree with Kenning though, Cointreau is indispensable.

I've got an open question for the gin drinkers. I'll be heading to Japan soon and want to bring a bottle to a bartender there. Last year I brought him a bottle of Aviation which he seemed to enjoy playing with.

Looking for gin recommendations that meet the following criteria:

Not available outside the US.
Unique flavor profile. I love my Tanqueray as much as the next person, but I'm looking for something a bit more interesting if I'm going to haul it over.
Usable in most mixed drinks.

I was toying with the idea of bringing over a bottle of Death's Door gin, but the flavor feels a bit too wild to be used in any mixed drinks beyond simple ones. Then again, a real bartender can probably make it work.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Dogfish Head's "Jin" is solid and pretty unique due the the use of Cascade hops. I don't think they are selling it out of the state yet, though

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tynam posted:

I think you meant that the other way around. I agree with Kenning though, Cointreau is indispensable.

I've got an open question for the gin drinkers. I'll be heading to Japan soon and want to bring a bottle to a bartender there. Last year I brought him a bottle of Aviation which he seemed to enjoy playing with.

Unique flavor profile. I love my Tanqueray as much as the next person, but I'm looking for something a bit more interesting if I'm going to haul it over.

I was toying with the idea of bringing over a bottle of Death's Door gin, but the flavor feels a bit too wild to be used in any mixed drinks beyond simple ones. Then again, a real bartender can probably make it work.

Who are you visiting? The New York Distilling Co stuff is pretty rad, and Perry's Tot has the proof to mix nicely.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

tynam posted:

Consider one of the St. George's. The Terroir is a very unique gin with many local ingredients from the North California forests, so it has this "forest juniper earth pine" aroma. Very aromatic and very assertive. Douglas fir, bay laurel, sage, coriander and of course juniper, I've never really had anything quite like it. The flavor profile means it doesn't work with everything - I didn't really like martinis with it - but it means it clicks even more with other drinks like a negroni.

Their Dry Rye is also a unique gin - made with rye instead of a neutral spirit base, it's more like a genever than a regular gin. Very different but also very unique.

Their Botantical is just a good American-style gin, not too unique, but if the Aviation went over well, this would be along those same lines.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I personally can't stand the st George dry rye. I'll throw in a vote for Anchor distilling Junipero. High proof, delicious, and very juniper heavy. Is Bluecoat available internationally? I also like a newer one from Ventura distilling, Wilder gin. California botanicals, very sagey. There's one local to me, re:find, which is very unique - made from sagnee, the grape juice wineries bleed before finishing their wine. It's heavy on lavender and has a very viscous mouth feel. I don't care for it too much but it mixes well and everybody else seems to like it. I like Death's Door too.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

+1 to St. George Terroir. And I also do not care for the dry rye.

tynam
May 14, 2007

bloody ghost titty posted:

Who are you visiting?

Visiting Mr. Asakura at Bar Anthem in Ginza. He's the guy who pretty much set the bar for me on what quality cocktails are, and I absolutely love visiting whenever I can. I've been trying to reproduce his gin & tonic for ages now with varying degrees of success. Failure is welcome though as it constantly gives me an excuse to go back again.

Here's the man doing his thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRmLiCeC-MM

From what I can gather, he first chills a highball glass (stirs flat water into the glass and dumps the water), combines and shakes Beefeater and freshly squeezed limes (seems like 45ml of Beef and a few lime quarters?), strains it and pours it into the highball glass. Then he adds a half measure of tonic water (two different types?), and tops it off with soda water, all of which is pulled from the fridge, including the gin. It's ridiculously complex by American standards, but goddamn it changed my life.

Thanks for the gin recommendations, I'll try to buy as many as I can and get really drunk during the selection process. Should be good times. My local liquor store has a pretty massive gin selection so I'm fairly hopeful I can find everything there.

Current list:
Perry Tot, all three St Georges and Anchor Junipero. I didn't see Wilder gin on the online catalogue but hopefully it's in store.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

gently caress it, I'm buying a shaker. Is there a good set to get, or is it like knives where all the sets are full of bloat?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I love my job

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
I'm as green with jealousy as that bottle.

Segues are weird.

I've been wanting to try a white whiskey recently. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced bottle? Actually worth it? I know that market is a little saturated with bullshit.

Also, if it isn't just a gimmick, any good cocktails to make with it?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Not to be an rear end, but my favourite white whiskey is when I can get actual moonshine, drink it neat or on the rocks, enjoy the inherent flavour, and hope that the interesting marshmallow flavour isn't methanol.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Guys, what do I need to buy, and what interesting and delicious drinks can I make with my cupboard?
Woodford reserve
Famous grouse
Tanqueray #10
Bombay sapphire
Tarquins dry gin
Sailor Jerrys
Morgan's spiced
Aperol
Cointreau
Sloe Gin
Chase smoked vodka
Chase Marmalade vodka
Smirnoff vodka
Genepi
Kings Ginger

Various wines and fizzy wines
Grenadine
Angostura Bitters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

tentish klown posted:

Guys, what do I need to buy, and what interesting and delicious drinks can I make with my cupboard?
Woodford reserve
Famous grouse
Tanqueray #10
Bombay sapphire
Tarquins dry gin
Sailor Jerrys
Morgan's spiced
Aperol
Cointreau
Sloe Gin
Chase smoked vodka
Chase Marmalade vodka
Smirnoff vodka
Genepi
Kings Ginger

Various wines and fizzy wines
Grenadine
Angostura Bitters

Squeeze out some lemon juice, throw it in with Tanqueray and Cointreau, and you got yourself a white lady. Add an egg white if you want to be adventurous.