Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Season 1 Thread posted:

I gave up on this poo poo before the first or second commercial. Cannot really remember. This is "intelligent" comedy for people of average or below-average intelligence and no sense of writing.

Season 1 Thread posted:

Anyone laugh at this even once? Not me.

Season 1 Thread posted:

This show is fresh, funny, and intelligent. It'll get canceled in 3 episodes.

Season 1 Thread posted:

I laughed and will watch again, but at the same time, I can't really see how this show can sustain itself for very long. I just can't see where it can "go".
Well, here we are. Community was canceled and when all hope was lost, when we were passed over by Netflix and Hulu and the contracts were just about to expire, we were saved the only way that made sense: a B-tier search engine. Somehow fitting for this show. Yes, Community was saved by Yahoo, that search bar your mom uses that you didn’t even realize was still a thing. Luckily enough for the show, they were looking for a high-profile project to lead their own attempt at a streaming service, which also means that they’re not going to interfere with the content or budget.

For those curious, Yahoo Screen is a free service, though it does have ads. The international rights are a mess, though. It’s airing on Yahoo Screen in the United States (and Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, and Indonesia), and a day later on SET in the UK and Stan in Australia. Live in Canada? Sorry, you’re hosed.

The show's not going to change much. Like the last two seasons, it's 13 episodes. It’ll be a few minutes longer per episode, but that's really it. Harmon, despite his love of doing bold poo poo, is pretty attached to the usual three-act episode structure so crazy 40 minute experiments like Arrested Development season 4 don't really appeal to him for something like Community.

Unfortunately, the cast is going to be getting smaller yet again, with the news that Shirley won’t be returning. Yvette Nicole Brown asked to be released from her contract so she could take care of her dying father and took a much less time-consuming role on CBS’ The Odd Couple. YNB is a phenomenal comedic actress, but Season 5 kind of proved the writers don’t know what to do with her a lot of the time so it might be for the best, honestly. Also not returning for the sixth season are Jonathan Banks and John Oliver, who have commitments to incredibly popular shows at the moment, the ingrates.

There's also no word on if Pierce or Troy will be coming back in any capacity. There are a few factors making a Pierce return unlikely, including Chevy Chase's termination from the show and the character's untimely death, but the crew has been weirdly coy about the possibility. As for Donald Glover, we can only hope, especially because we have at least one :toxx: against it happening.

On the bright side, to fight the hemorrhaging the cast was going through, the show brought in Paget Brewster and Keith loving David as regulars. Both of them have been on the show before in guest roles, which I expect will probably just be ignored, but you never know with this show. Either way, both of them have impressive comedic experience and seem like fantastic additions to the cast.

As for this season, it’s still too early to tell what it’ll be. Dan Harmon, praise be to him, has said this season will be more grounded, but I feel like it’s the third or fourth time I’ve heard that lie. Other news, though, seems like it’ll fix a lot of problems people have been complaining about for a while. We’re going back to Los Angeles City College to film for the first time since Season 1, and the set lighting (ugggghhhhh) seems improved. It also seems that the show will actually try to explore Jeff as a teacher, which it completely ignored in favor of the Save Greendale Committee last season.

If you need more to go on, there’s a trailer here, though most of it’s too out-of-context to get a real read on what the season will be.

If you need more information for whatever reason, consult my big long dumb effortpost from the last thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597051

Community airs Tuesday, March 17 on Yahoo Screen. :siren: New episodes go up here at midnight the night before. :siren:

:siren: IT'S FREE MORONS :siren:

Still waiting on that movie.

Arist fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I hope it will be good.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Are a lot of people really looking for a "down to Earth" version of community? I always thought the best episodes were the ones with lava floors, and meowmeow beanz.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The best seasons were the ones that established themselves in reality before having something crazy happen.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Yeah, concept episodes only work if not every episode is another concept episode.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

No Buzz but loving Magnitude is still around, how unfortunate.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

MrAristocrates posted:

As for this season, it’s still too early to tell what it’ll be. Dan Harmon, praise be to him, has said this season will be more grounded, but I feel like it’s the third or fourth time I’ve heard that lie.

I don't think it's quite fair to characterize it as a "lie". He always starts each season honestly and earnestly with the "more grounded" resolution and then it just all lurches out of control.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Oh man, has John Oliver been confirmed as MIA? :smith:

Man, the loss of the main cast is the worst.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Here's hoping this limping Frankenstein is good I guess because I don't think Dan can handle another huge meltdown and he's running out of people to blame when things don't go well!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

VagueRant posted:

Now let's be fair, Oliver was always a guest role. He had some actual plot in season 5, but main cast is a stretch.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

kayakyakr posted:

Now let's be fair, Oliver was always a guest role. He had some actual plot in season 5, but main cast is a stretch.

Yea, according to IMDB it was only 19 episodes over the course of the series. That puts him right above Vicki, Fat Neil and Magnitude

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003

VagueRant posted:

Considering Community was filming while Last Week Tonight was on hiatus (between November and Feb), it's possible he may make an appearance.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

oops wrong thread

Soft Shell Crab fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 15, 2015

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

kayakyakr posted:

They were separate thoughts, Joliver's absence just reminded me how we've lost Shirley, on top of Troy AND Pierce. :smith:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Every time I re-watch, I wish I could not love Troy so much because I know he'll go away :(

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
According to the Community Twitter, Dan Harmon just announced

(mild spoiler)
another paintball episode

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Spoeank posted:

According to the Community Twitter, Dan Harmon just announced

(mild spoiler)
another paintball episode

:regd08:

I think this finally ends the debate over whether Dan Harmon is a brilliant auteur or just an incredibly lucky hack.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Leaping from pillow fort to blanket fort over floors of lava, firing paintball volleys at the Asscrack Bandit

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I suspect/hope it'll be like the Pulp Fiction episode.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
I got to see the first episode yesterday thanks to their SXSW party. I really liked it and it seemed like everyone else there did too, so I have high hopes! I'm sad that they're not doing a binge-watch release schedule though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

BananaFusion posted:

I got to see the first episode yesterday thanks to their SXSW party. I really liked it and it seemed like everyone else there did too, so I have high hopes! I'm sad that they're not doing a binge-watch release schedule though.

I like that Dani Pudi is there by robot.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

We should probably put in the OP that if you have the opportunity to watch this on Yahoo screen, you should do so. Support the show, sit through the ads. Maybe together we can make it the first profitable season of Community!!!

Canada? Pirate it, I guess... :negative:

Heres to hoping for a good season and to banking on a lovely thread!!!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

We should probably put in the OP that if you have the opportunity to watch this on Yahoo screen, you should do so. Support the show, sit through the ads. Maybe together we can make it the first profitable season of Community!!!

The show wouldn't have been renewed if it wasn't profitable. Also, a bit of realtalk, but there is zero chance of the show being renewed for a 7th season. Let's say the impossible happens and the show doubles its NBC ratings on Yahoo! Its still not getting renewed. Period. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. We are literally three months away from the last episode of Community ever.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Irish Joe posted:

The show wouldn't have been renewed if it wasn't profitable. Also, a bit of realtalk, but there is zero chance of the show being renewed for a 7th season. Let's say the impossible happens and the show doubles its NBC ratings on Yahoo! Its still not getting renewed. Period. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. We are literally three months away from the last episode of Community ever.

What's it like working for Yahoo's streaming service? I assume you do since you have insider knowledge.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Irish Joe posted:

Also, a bit of realtalk, but there is zero chance of the show being renewed for a 7th season.

Duh. We're getting a movie.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Inkspot posted:

Duh. We're getting a movie.

Community is so hit and miss these days that I imagine that chances of getting a good feature length film would be pretty slim.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The movie is just going to be a 90 minute episode on Yahoo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Heres to hoping for a good season and to banking on a lovely thread!!!

Irish Joe posted:

Literally the next post. Good job!!

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

MrAristocrates posted:

Live in Canada? Sorry, you’re hosed.

Goddammit. :negative:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

GreenNight posted:

The movie is just going to be a 90 minute episode on Yahoo.

Yeah, this was never a show that would translate well into a movie. Any "movie" that comes out of it would always have been a block of extended episodes, like the end of season 3 of Arrested Development.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Canada? Pirate it, I guess... :negative:

A good bit disappointed in Yahoo's streaming offerings. Xbox 360 but no Xbox One or PS4? Roku but no Chromecast, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, etc, etc.

Maybe I'll play it on my computer muted in a different workspace while I use other means to play it on the tv.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

A good bit disappointed in Yahoo's streaming offerings. Xbox 360 but no Xbox One or PS4? Roku but no Chromecast, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, etc, etc.

I don't know about any of the others, but it is on Apple TV.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Chromecast just stream from the tab, too.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Irish Joe posted:

Also, a bit of realtalk, but there is zero chance of the show being renewed for a 7th season. Let's say the impossible happens and the show doubles its NBC ratings on Yahoo! Its still not getting renewed. Period. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. We are literally three months away from the last episode of Community ever.

If this were any other show I would agree. The sixth season is the end of the actors' contracts, and a 7th season would probably feature Joel McHale, Jim Rash, Ken Jeong, and an entirely new cast.

Then again, the things that have happened around this show are kind of unprecedented. It would take a lot to surprise me at the point. Sometimes I fear the show may outlive us all.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Well, when the inevitable movie happens, I hope a giant cast reunion is in the cards. 3 weeks of filming, maybe less, would be less of a commitment than a TV series I hope.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Well, when the inevitable movie happens, I hope a giant cast reunion is in the cards. 3 weeks of filming, maybe less, would be less of a commitment than a TV series I hope.

Community: The Search for Levar Burton (and non-celebrity companion)

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST
I'm super excited for this. I was a little worried but the trailer put all my fears to bed. I'm also hopeful for the future. Come on guys lets all be more Magnitude and less Garrett.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm cautiously optimistic as long as Rash is on board.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Is this getting released week to week or all at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Is this getting released week to week or all at once?

Week to week, though they're putting out two tomorrow.

• Locked thread