Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Low Desert Punk posted:

Do you guys think Josh was good at his job? I know each of the senior staffers have duties that largely go unseen, but it seems like Josh fucks up really often compared to everyone else. We know he's incredibly gifted in large-scale political process from what the characters tell us and how he runs the Santos campaign, but it never seemed like he fit very well as DCoS.

I asked more-or-less that same question before (god, years ago now :() and I think we came up with "it's TV and him always being awesome would be boring".

LesterGroans posted:

He gets Santos elected president, and he helped get Bartlet elected too. Also, there are a bunch of other victories throughout(the one that got Amy fired, fixing the Shutdown, etc.) just his fuckups are more interesting because they're fewer and far between. That's why the pilot is weirder to look back on. Bartlet would never consider firing Josh for that. Pilots get a lot of leeway for character work though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Screwup situations make for better TV than an office full of people doing their jobs competently and never making mistakes.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There are so many variables you can t control in policy work, gently caress ups are inevitable. Josh wasn't bad at it.

I've seen real life people involved in lobbying gently caress up five times as bad and still be employed.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Josh fucks up a lot, but he also absolutely nails some things. I think that's kind of a trend of the Bartlet presidency - these smart, diligent, passionate, and capable people running the country can't fix all the problems. Also, it makes more sense for Josh to take more on the chin than Leo. Give him 10-20 years and he'd probably make fewer mistakes.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The first few episodes are great, because Josh gets all the Sam storylines for the first 3 or so episodes and absolutely crushes them, so they start writing him into the A plot more often than not and Sam gets the crappy C plot.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like the revelation that Sam made like $800,000 a year as a lawyer. Way more than Cj and probably more than what CJ and Josh made combined before their political careers. On top of that he's awesome and awkward in a cute way and super smart? Wtf Sorkin why did you put yourself in the show like that.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Wasn't CJ making big bucks doing PR in California before the Bartlett campaign came calling? Or am I mixing up the timeline?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BobTheCow posted:

Wasn't CJ making big bucks doing PR in California before the Bartlett campaign came calling? Or am I mixing up the timeline?

She was fired the day Toby came to get her for the campaign but she did seem to be making a decent salary but probably not as high as 800k.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

BobTheCow posted:

When Toby was recruiting her she said her salary was $500k and he countered with $600 a week

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

When Toby was recruiting her she said her salary was $500k and he countered with $600 a week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsM_eeUyOBs#t=2m20s

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Josh Lyman did some consulting for OCP in Robocop 3, if anyone cares.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also, Danny Concannon worked for Playtronics in 1992, pretending to be an NSA-agent.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

brylcreem posted:

Also, Danny Concannon worked for Playtronics in 1992, pretending to be an NSA-agent.

Currently Danny is a criminal attorney in North Carolina who turned down a child murder case (until the suspect is actually arrested)

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
"Duchamp was the father of Dadaism."
"I know."
"The dada of Dada."
"... It's like there's nothing you can do about that joke. It's coming and you just have to stand there."

Every loving time.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Rewatching The Drop In, and the finest minds in the Democratic Party not knowing what a lynx is is cracking me the gently caress up.

"I dunno, I think it's like a possum or something."

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
"I think this might be because the wood is wet."

"Well the fire should dry it pretty quick, shouldn't it?"

"You'd think."

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof
"Mr. President, you know how you told me not to wake you up unless the building was on fire?....

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

"Donna, can you get us some dried leaves?"

"Sure thing, I'll just run out to the forest and be right back."

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
"You wanna stand them in a tripod, yeah?"

"Yeah, standing three sticks on end and slanting them to a common centre."

"Isn't that a tripod?"

"Yeah, but..."

"You just thought you'd say more words?"

"Yeah."

aaronsorkin.txt

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post
Rewatching this for the first time in a year or two with someone who hasn't ever seen anything by Sorkin.

God this show starts off rougher than I remember.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

king of no pants posted:

Rewatching this for the first time in a year or two with someone who hasn't ever seen anything by Sorkin.

God this show starts off rougher than I remember.

Somebody should make a re-edit of season one without Mandy in it, like that edit of star wars episodes 1-3 where they took out all the boring politics and jar jar and ended up with a pretty good long movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

FetusSlapper posted:

Somebody should make a re-edit of season one without Mandy in it, like that edit of star wars episodes 1-3 where they took out all the boring politics and jar jar and ended up with a pretty good long movie.

It's not a good long movie. It's disjointed as well, because, surprise surprise, when you edit after the fact with footage that was never meant to be seen that way, it doesn't just magically work out somehow.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I loving love rewatching this show with people. Yes it's a tad dated in parts. But holy poo poo, just finished season 2 and watched Two Cathedrals with my dad (first time for him). Whatever you can say about Sorkin, there hasn't been anything quite like that finale since, nor will there ever be.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I just started rewatching this show on Netflix after not seeing it in years and goddamn was it good in the beginning. NBC could probably air this now during the summer and it would be one of the highest rated shows on TV for the next couple months.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Lord John Marbury, the UK’s Ambassador to the United States, has died.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
RIP Lord John Marbury. That's a shame, Roger Rees was relatively young.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Let us grasp the First Lady's breasts in his honor.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I'm sad about this. I think the remedy is a strong shot of whiskey.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
I'm being coerced into watching the West Wing for the first time, and I'm actually enjoying it far more than I'd anticipated. There's about as much self-congratulatory, mawkish fawning over the American political process as I'd expected, but at least it goes to the effort of portraying a super-idealized administration that almost merits it.

One thing that is really starting to annoy me though is the fact that as far as I can tell, whether Jed, Leo, Fitzwallace, and Nancy (or most of the rest of the cast for that matter, if to a lesser degree) are going to be hawkish or not when military intervention is being discussed seems to hinge on a coin toss. Is there some sort of consistency below the surface I'm missing, or is it just lazy writing?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Are you still on season 1? The cloying sentimental and sweeping musical cues drop off significantly once you finish the first season. They never go away completely, there's a few every season, but the tone and look of season 1 is far more dated than the stuff that comes afterwards.

For the hawkish thing, I'd never noticed that but I think I agree with you thinking back. I think it's the second episode with the proportional response and Bartlett and Leo's big argument about war that is the biggest statement about warmongering, but that's so early that Sorkin probably changed his mind about the character a few scripts in. They're basically all big liberal pussies the rest of the show.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I don't really accept that a meritorious leader should be "hawkish" or not without a distinction in purpose. To that end, I think the characters acquit themselves reasonably, when it's said and done. Bartlett is, by the third season, again portrayed as being nervous and compulsive about a military affair where he wants to go get his guys, and Leo again preaches restraint. CJ is eager, on several occasions, to agitate, when it comes to alliances of convenience with desert theocracies where they beat women. And there's Toby with the ever-coherent standpoint of "they'll like us when we win!" policy of maximal foreign aid as the primary means of getting his way in the long run, which is consistent with his zealous defense of cultural spending in general.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if Charlie ever regretted meeting Zoey first, and not Ellie.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Ellie wouldn't have matched him in his service to the President and his love of the White House. Charlie was a charismatic and driven dude and he hooked up with the available Bartlett daughter who was down for that. Ellie had daddy issues and got what she went looking for: an empty suit with zero convictions or capacity to hold the limelight.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For some reason I thought Hope Davis played Ellie. drat they look similar.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eikre posted:

Ellie wouldn't have matched him in his service to the President and his love of the White House. Charlie was a charismatic and driven dude and he hooked up with the available Bartlett daughter who was down for that. Ellie had daddy issues and got what she went looking for: an empty suit with zero convictions or capacity to hold the limelight.

I was talking about looks, and not convictions :boom:

Josh Lyman posted:

For some reason I thought Hope Davis played Ellie. drat they look similar.

Yeah!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hoops posted:

Are you still on season 1? The cloying sentimental and sweeping musical cues drop off significantly once you finish the first season. They never go away completely, there's a few every season, but the tone and look of season 1 is far more dated than the stuff that comes afterwards.

For the hawkish thing, I'd never noticed that but I think I agree with you thinking back. I think it's the second episode with the proportional response and Bartlett and Leo's big argument about war that is the biggest statement about warmongering, but that's so early that Sorkin probably changed his mind about the character a few scripts in. They're basically all big liberal pussies the rest of the show.

Bryter must at least be in season 2, because I'm pretty sure Nancy's first appearance is in the first episode of season 2.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

brylcreem posted:

Are you implying there's someone cuter than Elisabeth Moss?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

brylcreem posted:

Yeesh, hope your wife/girlfriend doesn't have a cute sister.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BSam posted:

Are you implying there's someone cuter than Elisabeth Moss?

Yes. Wanna fight me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Amy was super hot and her dog was the cutest.

• Locked thread