Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

Jesus loving Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I gotta buy a new hacksaw so I can cut trotters lengthwise. Yay for more tools!

Also, uh, I made a mistake with my purchases today and bought 4 lbs of beef marrow bones instead of 4 lbs of beef bones for a big batch of broth. I'm guessing these aren't really interchangeable? Or is there something I can do here besides make the planet's fattiest broth?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

RedTonic posted:

the planet's fattiest broth?

I fail to see the problem :)

I've done beef stock with marrow bones and it's turned out good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Unf. Freshly steamed chicken, pork, and jalapeno tamales, awesome house salsa, and a gigantic horchata. I love Madison.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Casu Marzu posted:

Unf. Freshly steamed chicken, pork, and jalapeno tamales, awesome house salsa, and a gigantic horchata. I love Madison.

Where did you get these things?! My in-laws are in Cross Plains so I'll be up that way around Easter.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RedTonic posted:

I gotta buy a new hacksaw so I can cut trotters lengthwise. Yay for more tools!

Also, uh, I made a mistake with my purchases today and bought 4 lbs of beef marrow bones instead of 4 lbs of beef bones for a big batch of broth. I'm guessing these aren't really interchangeable? Or is there something I can do here besides make the planet's fattiest broth?

Roast bones, eat marrow, make stock.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

EVG posted:

Where did you get these things?! My in-laws are in Cross Plains so I'll be up that way around Easter.

These are from El Bolillo in Monona. Saturday and Sunday mornings they have a couple big coolers full of em. Kinda pricey, but pretty dang good and they use good masa. They're also a bakery with pretty delicious authentic pasteles.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Those tamales look drat fine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Roast bones, eat marrow, make stock.

tarbrush posted:

I fail to see the problem :)

I've done beef stock with marrow bones and it's turned out good.

This's reassuring! I've only used marrow bones once or twice before. :downs:

I'm preparing beef stock for daube creole; doing a test run of the recipe later this week, then going to (I hope) make it for some visiting friends on the 3rd. I usually get my stock fixins at the grocery store, but today I got them at the market along with pounds and pounds of pork parts for tonkatsu ramen (and lardons). If I don't burn down the house, I'll take some pictures of my results.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
So it looks like yelp has partnered with a couple of delivery services, so now I can order all sorts of random foods to my hotel room. This is equal parts amazing and awful.

I have been in Miami for like eight days, and had lichon asado at six different restaurants. It may in fact be my favorite food. That whatever the hell they do to yuca. I have no idea what's going on with that but my God I could eat it forever.

I also got really crazy the other night and called the salesperson I usually work for and demanded a roughly 50% raise. He seemed, shockingly, receptive to the idea. The company in general is going through a huge upheaval at the moment so this might actually work out.

As I am now feeling the need to spend all of my free time trying to cook the perfect pork leg, some extra money and free time will be very helpful.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Who posted some recs for Copenhagen here recently, Dane? I'm here til Wednesday staying south of Nørreport station.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

ahaha this show owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQGF1jYCbYQ

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

sweat poteto posted:

Who posted some recs for Copenhagen here recently, Dane? I'm here til Wednesday staying south of Nørreport station.

lunch, quintessentially old school Danish: Schønnemann at Hauser Pl., near Nørreport. The cofoco crowd (https://www.cofoco.dk) have restaurants all over town, and they're generally good and good value for money. If you want something more to-go like, go to Torvehallerne - the food halls near Nørreport - and get Ma Poules baguette with confit de canard. Or near the central station, for the best hot dog in Copenhagen, Johns Hot Dog Deli. He alternates weeks between CPH Central (by the exit to Tivoli) and Axeltorv (by the monstrosity that is the Palads cineplex, the one that looks like it was designed by a contestant on Top Chef: Just Desserts).

Good cheap eating near Nørreport as well at Mon Amour in Skindergade and Höst in Nørre Farimagsgade.

Manfreds & Vin, Jægersborggade on Nørrebro and their big brother across the street, Relæ are worth a visit.

Bæst is a fairly new and really good italian eatery, also on Nørrebro.

Depending on your budget, there are a lot of fantastic places to eat, but let me know what you're looking for and I can help out.

Dane fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 16, 2015

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Thanks! Just had a huge vege burger at Halifax. We're heading over to Lund, Sweden tomorrow for a day trip but fully intend to explore Nørrebro Tuesday. Was already planning Manfreds & Vin Tues night.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

sweat poteto posted:

Thanks! Just had a huge vege burger at Halifax. We're heading over to Lund, Sweden tomorrow for a day trip but fully intend to explore Nørrebro Tuesday. Was already planning Manfreds & Vin Tues night.

If you're into beer, there's some great beer places in Copenhagen. I only got to Fermentoren on Halmtorvet and the Mikkeler Bar on Viktoriagade when I was there, but Olbaren and Orsted Olbar should also be really good.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xoidanor posted:

You're an rear end in a top hat for making me look up what pizza steel is, find a comprehensive article and get hungry before going to bed. :argh:

Please post pictures when you get to it

Still going to tinker with it but this was a 3 minute cook:

This one I did for 4 minutes

Verdict: Pizza steel is awesome.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Let's see some bottoms!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Pan pizza is better. There's nothing as awesome as the crusty bit of dough/cheese/sauce where the crust would be, if you didn't have wall to wall cheese/sauce/toppings.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Let's see some bottoms!

Indeed! What did that one cost you?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

Indeed! What did that one cost you?

It was $75 or so with shipping. ⅜".

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

toe knee hand posted:

If you're into beer, there's some great beer places in Copenhagen. I only got to Fermentoren on Halmtorvet and the Mikkeler Bar on Viktoriagade when I was there, but Olbaren and Orsted Olbar should also be really good.

Ørsted has dropped in quality (it's been a while, they might've picked up again), but yeah, Ølbaren on Elmegade is pretty good as is Fermentoren and Mikkeler.

Oh, another sandwich/lunch tip is Disctrict Tonkin in Dr. Tværgade which has a really good banh mi. I've heard their dinner menu is worth it as well.

Gorilla @ Flæsketorvet (Vesterbros meatpacking district, near the central station and right next to Fermentoren and Mikkeler) is really good bistro-style food, and Cafe Lillebror (Jarmers Plads between Nørreport and Vesterport St.) is good value for money - http://cafelillebror.dk/night-2/

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
It might be available in Denmark: when I was in Norway I had an excellent white pale ale by a brewer called Lervig, I think. Really good stuff.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Do we have a general Seafood thread?

Last summer I over did it with smoked meats and I want to make this summer more seafood themed. My fishing prowess is developed enough that I have a reasonable chance of catching eating size fish and I have also just learned that oysters are far far less perishable that I had always assumed.

We have a huge cinderblocks grill that is reconfigurable, a WSM, and a few lesser grills so I am excited to get my outdoor fish cooking on.

A guy on a local fishing forum turned me on to the Iraqi method of grilling fish and I am all hot to learn more stuff like this.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

bunnielab posted:

Do we have a general Seafood thread?

Someone should start one. I love seafood. And Lakefood. And pondfood. And creekfood.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oht9AEq1798

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The best

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

That's an incredibly funny video!!

I wish I could post it on my facebook, but at least 5 people will defriend me and I need them to stick around so I can
enjoy their struggles with gluten intolerance from behind my desktop.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah same here

Thanks for this public service

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
I made chicken salad with smoked chicken yesterday and it was the best chicken salad I've ever had.

That is all.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Paper With Lines posted:

I made chicken salad with smoked chicken yesterday and it was the best chicken salad I've ever had.

That is all.

recipe or it didn't happen

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

I winged it but it was about as follows:

One smoked chicken breast. I think mine was around half a pound.
About a tablespoon and a half of may
A teaspoon mustard (I used this bougey stuff but I don't know if that mattered.
About two green onions, finely chopped
About one medium sized stalk of celery, finely chopped.
Maybe half a teaspoon of cayenne
A lot of fresh pepper (I didn't realize how much of a difference a pepper grinder makes as opposed to the preground stuff)
Salt to taste. I didn't use much.

Here's a picture of the chicken on the grill. Sorry it isn't the focus, I was more concerned with how the steak was turning out (drastically overcooked). Here is a picture of what it looks like on a cracker. Since I was just experimenting with smoked chicken in chicken salad, I only used one breast. I'm going to make it again tonight with three.

Anyway, I highly recommend smoking chicken for this purpose.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Paper With Lines posted:

I winged it but it was about as follows:

One smoked chicken breast. I think mine was around half a pound.
About a tablespoon and a half of may
A teaspoon mustard (I used this bougey stuff but I don't know if that mattered.
About two green onions, finely chopped
About one medium sized stalk of celery, finely chopped.
Maybe half a teaspoon of cayenne
A lot of fresh pepper (I didn't realize how much of a difference a pepper grinder makes as opposed to the preground stuff)
Salt to taste. I didn't use much.

Here's a picture of the chicken on the grill. Sorry it isn't the focus, I was more concerned with how the steak was turning out (drastically overcooked). Here is a picture of what it looks like on a cracker. Since I was just experimenting with smoked chicken in chicken salad, I only used one breast. I'm going to make it again tonight with three.

Anyway, I highly recommend smoking chicken for this purpose.

HA!! now I know why it was the best chicken salad you ever had, you home-smoked your own chicken...thanks for the recipe, now I need sun and a bbq.
It looks delicious.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

paraquat posted:

HA!! now I know why it was the best chicken salad you ever had, you home-smoked your own chicken...thanks for the recipe, now I need sun and a bbq.
It looks delicious.

Who needs sun?

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

^ agree. I live in Minnesota and it is 45 degrees and cloudy. If it isn't too windy after work I'll probably grill.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
oke, oke, you guys win....then I just need a BBQ :-D

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Screw you guys and your barbecues. I live in an apartment :(

Maybe I could just cook in the garage. All the street people would come eat my food.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Dane posted:

Ørsted has dropped in quality (it's been a while, they might've picked up again), but yeah, Ølbaren on Elmegade is pretty good as is Fermentoren and Mikkeler.

Ølbaren was a nice stop on the way to Baest for dinner last night, cheers for that. Interesting drinks, pickles and really good pizza. We seemed to wind up at Democratic for coffee & nibbles at least once a day too.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Dane - tried Jakobs latest batches of beers?

The porter is amazing!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I decided the only reasonable way to handle making the Nola Cuisine guy's daube creole is to do everything in stages. Last night, I roasted the poo poo out of bones, bones, and more bones, plus veggies in some rendered beef marrow fat for good measure. Brown stock is now simmering for the next eternity. I haven't made a beef/veal bone stock in a while and forgot that I dislike the early smell of it. My sense of smell must be busted.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

RedTonic posted:

I decided the only reasonable way to handle making the Nola Cuisine guy's daube creole is to do everything in stages. Last night, I roasted the poo poo out of bones, bones, and more bones, plus veggies in some rendered beef marrow fat for good measure. Brown stock is now simmering for the next eternity. I haven't made a beef/veal bone stock in a while and forgot that I dislike the early smell of it. My sense of smell must be busted.

Do you have a pressure cooker? I made beef/lamb bone stock in a pressure cooker the other day, and it took about 9 hours to finish, instead of the usual 24+ in a slow cooker/oven/stovetop. Came out like jello, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Do you have a pressure cooker? I made beef/lamb bone stock in a pressure cooker the other day, and it took about 9 hours to finish, instead of the usual 24+ in a slow cooker/oven/stovetop. Came out like jello, too.

Mine isn't big enough, sadly. I do want to try that method in the future. Anything that saves time on a chore of a process is great! (Love jello stock. Cut it into cubes! Put it in a dumpling wrapper! Steam! Soup dumpling! :3:)