Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Hmm, looks like the MSE stuff for YouTube isn't in Linux Aurora yet. Any idea when that's supposed to happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

hooah posted:

Recently (maybe since the last stable-channel update? not entirely sure) I've been seeing this kind of image corruption if Firefox has been open for a while or I open a lot (>~10) tabs at once:

Any ideas what's going on?

On Aurora [Dev] (38.0.1 Win64) I don't get stalled images but I do get empty ones, and sometimes ones that end up looking like they got shrunk down and then blown up like a texture error (you can probably stress test this with a screenshot LP*); seems to corroborate the "loading a ton of crap from the same site" story). I DID get what you described on 36.0.1 but it's too early to claim the same problem with different symptoms.

If it matters, I'm using a GTX 560 Ti with the official GeForce 347.71 driver package.

EDIT: *Well this is interesting: the Chaos Rings LP uses Imgur, which Firefox 38 takes like a champ, while the Kyrandia 2 LP hosted on LPix misloads poo poo left and right. I would say it's a thing between my ISP's IP block and LPix but loading the same images manually in IE 11 works fine, but either way it's probably not the same problem.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 11, 2015

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Can some one tell me how to adblock this pop up thing on twitter please.

http://i.imgur.com/6DPuAqL.jpg

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006

Jippa posted:

I spent an hour yesterday trying to do this. At first It seems trivial to block:
code:
###signup-dialog
##.modal-overlay
But then scrolling doesn't work.

I started working on a greasemonkey script but I was short on time (and skill) so no progress yet*. I'm going to keep trying because that thing is loving annoying.

* It doesn't help that twitter's code is labyrinthine.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Implied Consent posted:

I spent an hour yesterday trying to do this. At first It seems trivial to block:
code:
###signup-dialog
##.modal-overlay
But then scrolling doesn't work.
Ditto for
code:
https://abs.twimg.com/c/swift/en/bundle/boot.*.js

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Jippa posted:

code:
body > .modal-overlay, #signup-dialog{display:none!important;}
body{overflow: auto!important;}
That second line re-enables scrolling.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

On Aurora [Dev] (38.0.1 Win64) I don't get stalled images but I do get empty ones, and sometimes ones that end up looking like they got shrunk down and then blown up like a texture error (you can probably stress test this with a screenshot LP*); seems to corroborate the "loading a ton of crap from the same site" story). I DID get what you described on 36.0.1 but it's too early to claim the same problem with different symptoms.

If it matters, I'm using a GTX 560 Ti with the official GeForce 347.71 driver package.

EDIT: *Well this is interesting: the Chaos Rings LP uses Imgur, which Firefox 38 takes like a champ, while the Kyrandia 2 LP hosted on LPix misloads poo poo left and right. I would say it's a thing between my ISP's IP block and LPix but loading the same images manually in IE 11 works fine, but either way it's probably not the same problem.

It really seems to mostly affect the forums. For example, the images in my post you quoted are hosed up, and the post/reply buttons at the bottom of the thread aren't displaying right either. I haven't noticed a problem on any other site.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006

The Merkinman posted:

That second line re-enables scrolling.

D'oh. :doh:

edit: If you like content to start somewhere in the upper 70% of your monitor you might also want to try something like this:
code:
.ProfileCanopy--large, .ProfileCanopy--large .ProfileCanopy-header {
    max-height: 150px !important;
}

Implied Consent fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 11, 2015

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Does anyone know what could be causing this? Two or three times I day, Firefox will freeze, and I'll get this error message:

Firefox posted:

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let the script continue.
Script: chrome://browser/content/tabbrowser.xml:2089
After stopping the script, I can no longer close tabs. It happens irregularly enough that I'm having trouble figuring out if it's one of my addons, but it's driving me crazy.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

YggiDee posted:

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Two or three times I day, Firefox will freeze, and I'll get this error message:

After stopping the script, I can no longer close tabs. It happens irregularly enough that I'm having trouble figuring out if it's one of my addons, but it's driving me crazy.
What add-ons do you have? Look for something related to the tab bar or that would fire when tabs are closed.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I thought it was Tab Mix Plus originally, because the error message used to have this

code:
Script: chrome://tabmixplus/content/changecode.js line 1 > eval:4
as the bad script, but after uninstalling and deleting TabMixPlus it changed to the error I posted previously. Sorry, I really feel like I should have mentioned that first but honestly I've been having this problem for a while now and forgot that the error message had changed once I removed that addon.
The only addons that I think would affect tabs at all are Tab Wheel Scroll, Tree Style Tab, Multiple Tab Handler, and maybe Classic Theme Restorer.

I could live without any of the others but I hope to god it's not Tree Style Tab loving up.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

It sucks and is not a fast method, but disable one at a time each day until it goes away, or disable all and enable one each day until it returns.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

YggiDee posted:

YouTube videos - even embedded ones - have started freezing Firefox for me for some reason. Might be that.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Every now and then I get a weird graphic glitch with Firefox, currently on 36.0.1 but also happened on previous versions.

It usually happens when I expand images but not every time. Sometimes I can fix it by switching to another tab. Other times it gets really screwed up. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Something recently changed in my Firefox setup, and it's reverted back to not actually loading tabs on restoring a session until you actually open them. This bugs me. Problem is I forgot what it is I originally changed to make sure it would load all of the tabs as soon as the session was restored.

Anyone know which about:config setting it is?

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

Something recently changed in my Firefox setup, and it's reverted back to not actually loading tabs on restoring a session until you actually open them. This bugs me. Problem is I forgot what it is I originally changed to make sure it would load all of the tabs as soon as the session was restored.

Anyone know which about :config setting it is?

I don't know where it is in about :config, but isn't this the "Don't load tabs until selected" option under Options > Tabs?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Earl of Lavender posted:

I don't know where it is in about :config, but isn't this the "Don't load tabs until selected" option under Options > Tabs?

Ah, thanks. Last time I had to change it, I don't know if it was even exposed.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone has experience with restoring sessions? Firefox just hosed up and took ~100 tabs with it, and if I can't restore them, I'm deleting the POS.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ufarn posted:

Anyone has experience with restoring sessions? Firefox just hosed up and took ~100 tabs with it, and if I can't restore them, I'm deleting the POS.

Anything in History -> Restore Previous Session?

If not, try about :sessionrestore

ufarn
May 30, 2009

astral posted:

Anything in History -> Restore Previous Session?

If not, try about :sessionrestore
Nah, tried that with no luck. I reckon that got lost by closing the window another time or something, so I'm hoping for a .bak file somewhere similar-ish to how Opera and Chrome do it.

With Chrome, I got the Session Manager extension, which works well, but the resource-hogging forced me to try out Firefox, which did a better job of managing resources, but here we are.

Oddly enough there wasn't a session-manager extension for Firefox like with Chrome, which was one of the first things I looked up, when I made the switch. It's a really basic feature, though, but like tab and resource management, it's one of those fundamental 101 things that browser vendors apparently can't be bothered to figure out.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

I really wish uBlock's picker for elements had a nice narrower/wider selection thing like AdBlock element hiding helper.

Bit late, but when you use uBlock's picker option, try clicking around on the lines in the "Cosmetic Filter" box that pops up after making your first selection.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ufarn posted:

Oddly enough there wasn't a session-manager extension for Firefox like with Chrome, which was one of the first things I looked up, when I made the switch. It's a really basic feature, though, but like tab and resource management, it's one of those fundamental 101 things that browser vendors apparently can't be bothered to figure out.

What? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/session-manager/

It's literally called session manager.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ufarn posted:

Nah, tried that with no luck. I reckon that got lost by closing the window another time or something, so I'm hoping for a .bak file somewhere similar-ish to how Opera and Chrome do it.

Hmm, you could see if there is an appropriately-modified-dated %APPDATA%/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/(your profile)/sessionstore.bak that you can open with a text editor to see if it has what you want.

quote:

With Chrome, I got the Session Manager extension, which works well, but the resource-hogging forced me to try out Firefox, which did a better job of managing resources, but here we are.

I'm not familiar with this session manager but, if you're using it manually, would Firefox's "Tab Groups" perform a similar function?

astral fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 15, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Seconding this. I once made the mistake of manually closing one window (two monitors, two windows, 300+ tabs because I've lost control of my life) and then shutting Firefox down and being left with no way to restore that window. It hasn't failed me during a FF crash, yet, and you can have it take periodic backups of your current session in case something really goes wrong.

Of course I wouldn't care as much if I could just close some tabs, but I'm a broken human being.

e: Tab groups won't save you if your session file is messed up. They'll just vanish too. As for tabs my ideal is a combination of Firefox and Opera's tab management. I actually rather like Firefox's default tab group system, though it makes me more prone to forgetting about tabs for months.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 15, 2015

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Weird. It's not the same extension, but if it automatically saves, I must have tried it at some point.

astral posted:

Hmm, you could see if there is an appropriately-modified-dated %APPDATA%/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/(your profile)/sessionstore.bak that you can open with a text editor to see if it has what you want.
The sessionstore files have some reeeally weird URLs that I think are from my laptop or something, but some of the other files seem to have the right urls. The weird thing with Firefox is that it has something like 6 different kinds of backup files, so you can't just rename a session.bak like with, say, Opera. Not sure why it's this abstruse.

I think the tabs are in one of those files, but I have to extract them properly, as Firefox will probably crash, if I load them all into one group or window at once.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

ufarn posted:

Can you just look up your history and middle click each of the last 100 sites visited?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Can you just look up your history and middle click each of the last 100 sites visited?
Nah, from the look of it, it doesn't record the "opened tabs" history the same way Chrome does, so I can't use that trick.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

ufarn posted:

Nah, from the look of it, it doesn't record the "opened tabs" history the same way Chrome does, so I can't use that trick.

Press CTRL+H and there is all your history you can sort and group.

ufarn posted:

The sessionstore files have some reeeally weird URLs that I think are from my laptop or something, but some of the other files seem to have the right urls. The weird thing with Firefox is that it has something like 6 different kinds of backup files, so you can't just rename a session.bak like with, say, Opera. Not sure why it's this abstruse.

There is a folder sessionstore-backups in your profile folder. recovery.js is the current one recovery.bak and previous.js are backups.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 16, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been seeing some strange behavior related to tabs recently. I have a Greasemonkey script (SAplusplus) that among other things puts a button on the bookmarks list to open all unread in new tabs. Sometimes when I click this, it opens doubles of each thread. The other thing I've been seeing is that opening the last closed tab (ctrl+shift+t) sometimes opens the first tab I closed that session. Does anyone have any idea how to fix these? I'm not using any tab-management extension.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

MikusR posted:

Press CTRL+H and there is all your history you can sort and group.

There is a folder sessionstore-backups in your profile folder. recovery.js is the current one recovery.bak and previous.js are backups.
So is recover.js(on) the one I have to rename?

I can see what *looks* like the right tabs inside it, but Firefox just opens in an empty window, so ideally, I'd just pick the session file to load, but it's still to abstruse for me to figure out.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

ufarn posted:

... abstruse ...

I learned a new word today.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Seriously, this is getting out of hand:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

hooah posted:

Seriously, this is getting out of hand:

Maybe you should curb your enthusiasm for Warframe.

If you've got javascript experience I'd look into your script to see what's going on. It might be getting called multiple times by something. Not sure about the ctrl+shift+t thing though, it's probably unrelated and I don't know of anyone else who has run into it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
This seems to be the only function responsible, and though I've never worked with Javascript, it looks OK to me:
JavaScript code:
/**
	* Handler for the Open All Unread In New Tabs button. Removes the button and opens the threads.
	*/
	, handleOpenAllClick: function(e) {
		Util.removeElement(document.getElementById("openall"));

var links = Util.getNodes('.//a[@class="count"]');
		var i = links.length;
		while(i--) {
			GM_openInTab(links[i].href);
		}
	}

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I was having lots of trouble with forums pages not loading entirely, so I just went and nuked my FF install. After reinstall, I signed back in to my profile, but didn't install SALR. I also disabled Greasemonkey. I obviously don't see the problem with threads getting loaded multiple times, but I do still have problems with pages not loading correctly.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

hooah posted:

I was having lots of trouble with forums pages not loading entirely, so I just went and nuked my FF install. After reinstall, I signed back in to my profile, but didn't install SALR. I also disabled Greasemonkey. I obviously don't see the problem with threads getting loaded multiple times, but I do still have problems with pages not loading correctly.
If you're seeing that problem on a fresh profile, remove any third-party antivirus software and update your network adapter drivers.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hooah posted:

This seems to be the only function responsible, and though I've never worked with Javascript, it looks OK to me:
JavaScript code:
/**
	* Handler for the Open All Unread In New Tabs button. Removes the button and opens the threads.
	*/
	, handleOpenAllClick: function(e) {
		Util.removeElement(document.getElementById("openall"));

var links = Util.getNodes('.//a[@class="count"]');
		var i = links.length;
		while(i--) {
			GM_openInTab(links[i].href);
		}
	}

It's a problem with Greasemonkey 3.0 which came out last week, the problem is fixed in the 3.1 beta.

However for some reason in both 3.0 and 3.1 beta, the tabs open have the focus changed to them which is a bit annoying because before the focus would stay on the page you had open to start with. Any idea on how to explicitly make sure the tabs open "silently"?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's a problem with Greasemonkey 3.0 which came out last week, the problem is fixed in the 3.1 beta.

However for some reason in both 3.0 and 3.1 beta, the tabs open have the focus changed to them which is a bit annoying because before the focus would stay on the page you had open to start with. Any idea on how to explicitly make sure the tabs open "silently"?

Oh, that's good to know; at least that's sorted out. I still have to figure out how to track down the incomplete page-loading problem. When I get back from the wedding I'm in this weekend, I'll try a fresh profile.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Fullscreen on Youtube stopped working for some reason, it just sets Firefox itself to fullscreen while the video is stuck in a weird almost-full state. Already checked permissions, everything's ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Is the Firefox 37 beta suffering from a memory leak or something? Not only do I get mini freezes when browsing online but the memory usage shoots up to ridiculous levels too within 30 minutes of Firefox being open.