Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Yaos posted:

They hosed up. Not surprising from a backwards race of savages.

What do you mean? Federation expansion continues unabated! None dare resist the civilizing endeavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Star Trek is cool and good, even voyager had some redeeming qualities.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Powercrazy posted:

(7 of 9's boobs)

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
maybe having an entire species of space humans-with-a-different-forehead being portrayed as the same generic species-wide character is a totally retarded storytelling crutch

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Applewhite posted:

(7 of 9's boobs)

Agreed.

shiksa posted:

maybe having an entire species of space humans-with-a-different-forehead being portrayed as the same generic species-wide character is a totally retarded storytelling crutch

Agreed. There was no reason at all to even mention the necessary fact that all the aliens were humans with various makeup. Just ignore the costume and treat them as in-universe unique.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
season 1 tng is great because riker is all grouchy buzzkillington

then he grew a beard and mellowed out

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

shiksa posted:

Well if you're just going to treat them as being as diverse as humans what's even the point of having them be aliens?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Cubey posted:

klingons and ferengi weren't really 'evil'. it can also be argued that the borg weren't evil, since they sincerely believed that what they were doing was helping everyone.

In DS9, even after it was discovered whatshisface leading the Klingon Empire was replaced by a shapeshifter, whom started the war with the Federation to weaken the major military powers, they kept on fighting because Klingons are savages that only know how to kill.

When the Ferengi were first introduced in TNG, they were evil and wanted to take the Enterprise and enslave everybody. For DS9 they turned them into Jewish caricatures, except with big ears instead of noses. At the end of DS9 the Ferengi became Federation lite.

The Borg Queen was introduced in Voyager so we knew that the Borg were not just a mindless species, but led by an evil woman in a rubber costume that wanted nothing more than to take over the Federation for her own evil deeds.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Yaos posted:

The Borg Queen was introduced in Voyager so we knew that the Borg were not just a mindless species, but led by an evil woman in a rubber costume that wanted nothing more than to take over the Federation for her own evil deeds.

The Borg Queen was introduced in First Contact.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

dMastri posted:

then he grew a beard and mellowed out

Including playing the trombone.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Powercrazy posted:

that newest one with quantum leap dude was hellabad

not quite sure what they were thinking

they had a rich history to draw upon and could have explored the roots of trek lore

instead of rewriting a bunch of poo poo so we could fight against the alliance of space insects and whales or whatever

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Applewhite posted:

The Borg Queen was introduced in First Contact.
I forgot about that movie. :( The 90's are pretty much a huge haze to me since I was high on morphine the entire time from my abusive foster parents. They had every Star Trek episode and movie on repeat and used that thing that keeps your eyes open so I was forced to watch them. Most of my life was spent watching Star Trek while high.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 16, 2015

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
this board game is like an episode of trek every time you play, it's amazing and unironically the best thing trek related to come out since star trek VI

requires nerd friends tho

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

came to post this

its the 25th century, and that man/cat/thing doesn't wear shoes

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

buttcrackmenace posted:

came to post this

its the 25th century, and that man/cat/thing doesn't wear shoes

Yeah but look at all dem women.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'm fairly certain the tng writers started taking hallucinogens during season 7 because goddamn some of these episodes are batshit and awesome

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I like how the show was supposed to be about diversity and how we can look past race and skin color to work together. Just look at our wonderful, multicultural crew. Oh, but every alien species we run into will just be all the same. No other planets are allowed to have more than one ethnicity and everyone looks like a perfect copy of the other one. Oh and the Klingons who are always angry and killing things are always black and the smart non violent Vulcans are always white.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
trying to remember if TNG ever had anyone who was fat.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bonzo posted:

I like how the show was supposed to be about diversity and how we can look past race and skin color to work together. Just look at our wonderful, multicultural crew. Oh, but every alien species we run into will just be all the same. No other planets are allowed to have more than one ethnicity and everyone looks like a perfect copy of the other one. Oh and the Klingons who are always angry and killing things are always black and the smart non violent Vulcans are always white.

Tuvok was black.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

oncearoundaltair posted:

The Federation was a veritable utopia without poverty or war. Of course there were no fat people.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It is on TV now. It was on for 2 hours yesterday and it's on for 2 hours every Sunday. It's on TV more now than when it was current.

Just take a couple of aspirin. The pain you're feeling now is your head exploding and it will go away when you realise what the gently caress is up.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Applewhite posted:

Tuvok was black.

I was mainly talking about the original series

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bonzo posted:

I was mainly talking about the original series

in TOS the Klingons were white people in blackface so it wasn't racist either.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

oncearoundaltair posted:

No, but it was also filmed in the mid to late 80's, before the fat epidemic swept America and the world.

Riker got a bit chunky towards the end of the show.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Applewhite posted:

The Federation was a veritable utopia without poverty or war. Of course there were no fat people.

What a sentence. OK is it was because the show was produced in the past? Is it will be because the show was set in the future? Is it is because we watch it and identify with it in the present? Were there no fat people or are there not fat people or will there be no fat people?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

dMastri posted:

that newest one with quantum leap dude was hellabad

not quite sure what they were thinking

they had a rich history to draw upon and could have explored the roots of trek lore

instead of rewriting a bunch of poo poo so we could fight against the alliance of space insects and whales or whatever

Lol, I watched the first one, heard the theme song, saw how poo poo everything was, and subsequently forgot it existed. Good Riddance.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Goons being goons, consensus opinion here now is Enterprise was great!

loving losers.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's been a long road
Getting from there to here
It's been a long time
But my time is finally near
And I can feel the change in the wind right now
Nothing's in my way
And they're not gonna hold me down no more
No, they're not gonna hold me down

'Cause I've got faith of the heart
I'm going where my heart will take me
I've got faith to believe
I can do anything
I've got strength of the soul
And no one's gonna bend or break me
I can reach any star
I've got faith
I've got faith, faith of the heart

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

shiksa posted:

Special effects and costumes in the 80's was hard yo.

Also, anyone remember Star Trek the Role Playing game?

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Applewhite posted:

Yes. But I meant in a "...stardate whatever, we've rendezvoused with the USS GIRFUY and have quit trying to beam the essexian ambassador aboard because she's fatty fat mcfat and instead geordi and data have rigged a tractor beam to tow her fat arse behind the ship but the fat bitch prob break that too" guest star for one episode kind of way.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I know you millenials will find this hard to believe, but the majority of people used to not be fat. Skinny, even.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
i enjoy sitting through PREVIOUSLY ON for 2 minutes then a 1.5 minute intro for a 42 minute (mostly less) show

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

I know you millenials will find this hard to believe, but the majority of people used to not be fat. Skinny, even.

On the downside tits were much smaller on average back then as well.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Applewhite posted:

On the downside tits were much smaller on average back then as well.

Fewer boob jobs, but the big titties were better because of this.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Skeleton Ape posted:

Oh hey it's a star trek thread, has anyone mentioned Year of Hell yet?

poo poo.

poo poo.

They're on to me.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

I always blamed this on a lack of antibiotics in our milk, but what do I know.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Skeleton Ape posted:

Oh hey it's a star trek thread, has anyone mentioned Year of Hell yet?

Is that the one with the gun that erases things from time?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Applewhite posted:

Is that the one with the gun that erases things from time?

The gun is on a spaceship, but yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

redshirt posted:

redshirt posted:

Back in my day people were skinnier and fat tits were rarer? I dunno man, if I ever get to that point in my life I'm going to pretend poo poo was interesting and difficult when I was a boy.

• Locked thread