Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's that time of year again, when we all unite in picking our lovely brackets that will look hilarious in just one week.

I went ahead and created a goon bracket on Yahoo, so we can revel in our regretful picks together.

Group ID: 101336

Password: anteaters4lyfe

This is my first time setting up a group bracket on Yahoo, so if you have any problems holler at me ITT and we'll work something out.

Feel free to use this thread for general bracket chat so it doesn't bog down the other threads. I'm feeling real good about Hampton this year, what say you guys?

Benne fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I think we need the group ID instead of name. Or I might be stupid.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

OctoberBlues posted:

I think we need the group ID instead of name. Or I might be stupid.

You would be correct! Updated OP.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I'm in. My name should be p obvious.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
in as fisher's groovy bracket

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I am in with the sequel to last year's "Nik Stauskas is Good", "Nik Stauskas was Good"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
For the record, here's my Final 4:

Kentucky
Wisconsin
Michigan State
Iowa State

UK and Wisconsin need no explanation. I'm pegging MSU as this year's UConn, a traditional power team stuck in a low seed but makes a big run anyway because gently caress you. ISU is more of a gamble in the same region as Duke and Gonzaga, but Zags are due for their March letdown and gently caress Duke let's actually get someone likeable to win this region.

Kentucky wins the title by 15 points because God is dead.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I have Wisconsin beating Virginia by 11 because I'm an idiot.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I Believe That SDSU Will Win

The first game they play

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Benne posted:

Kentucky wins the title by 15 points because God is dead.

i disagree. Kentucky winning the national title is a great thing because it will get all the old white men angry

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I haven't watched a minute of NCAA BB since Butler made that run a few years ago, but I enjoy making hopeless predictions.

Duke gonna lose to SDSU and Kentucky's going 38-1 because why not root for happiness.

kalensc fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 16, 2015

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Metapod posted:

i disagree. Kentucky winning the national title is a great thing because it will get all the old white men angry

Really? Kentucky has always been up there with Duke/UNC/UCLA/IU in the old white men circle jerk. ESPN has literally co-opted Lexus' corporate slogan ("pursuit of perfection") to cover them. Old white men will loving jizz themselves if KU gets 40 wins.

Benne fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 16, 2015

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Benne posted:

Really? Kentucky has always been up there with Duke/UNC/UCLA/IU in the old white men circle jerk. Have they just turned on them because of Cal or something stupid?

The idea of freshmen teaming up and dominate for a year then going pro makes them mad for some reason

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
should i believe in iowa state

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

No.

All year, ISU fans on here have whined about short-handed they are, and while I think they've kinda overblown that hardcore (as shown by the B12 tourney results), that could really hurt them at some point in the tourney. Also, this is a team that lost to Texas Tech, so they're definitely capable of having a bad game. I have them out in the Sweet Sixteen.

Metapod posted:

The idea of freshmen teaming up and dominate for a year then going pro makes them mad for some reason

The concept does, sure, but they'll definitely be okay with an "upstanding program" like UK winning it all.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

NickRoweFillea posted:

Check the thread title. You shouldn't believe, but dumb beliefs are why we play this game. :)

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Seriouspost I picked Baylor to the final four despite Scott Drew because Baylor always gives teams fits in the tournament and Kenny Chery despite being a hotdog is the type of dude who beastmodes in the tournament. Plus Rico Gathers

And gently caress the midwest god damnit

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

Listed as "why isn't evansville in???" My Final Four is Nova/Butler/Carolina/SMU.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

In as Not Enough Upsets because I really didn't pick enough upsets this year.

As for ISU. I have them in the Final Four because I'm a dummy homer. They will more than likely lose in the Sweet 16 unless Gonzaga gets upset early. Despite what they did in the tourney, ISU has struggled away from Hilton most of the year. They have losses to South Carolina, Texas Tech, and Kansas State, but they also beat OU and KU in the Big 12 tournament, so who knows. One bad game where they can't shoot, and it will be all over though.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Meltathon posted:

In as Not Enough Upsets because I really didn't pick enough upsets this year.

As for ISU. I have them in the Final Four because I'm a dummy homer. They will more than likely lose in the Sweet 16 unless Gonzaga gets upset early. Despite what they did in the tourney, ISU has struggled away from Hilton most of the year. They have losses to South Carolina, Texas Tech, and Kansas State, but they also beat OU and KU in the Big 12 tournament, so who knows. One bad game where they can't shoot, and it will be all over though.

I have Gonzaga losing to Davdson, because that seems like a very Zags outcome ot the tournament.

Also, Valprasio over Maryland because that's probably going to be the sexy upset this year.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I made the most conventional bracket I've ever made.

UK vs. Duke in the final. Blah.

I did pick NC State to lose in the 1st round because my superstitions are solid and that will hopefully get them past Nova.

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 16, 2015

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013
My bracket is dumb. Go UVA, make Italian coaches cry!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
A Final Four of Kentucky, Arizona, Villanova, and Iowa State strikes me as plausible.

- Kentucky is the stone cold lock of the century of the week.
- Arizona is probably better than Wisconsin, but I don't see anyone in the region having the athletes to hang with Arizona. And Arizona's tremendous defensive discipline is a huge asset against Wisconsin.
- Villanova is a tough pick, since I can see Virginia or Oklahoma sneaking out of the region, but I went with Nova.
- Iowa State is playing really good basketball, and I have Duke falling early (because gently caress Duke, that's why), so they're probably the next-best choice (Zags are going to be embarrassed).

This would have three Wildcat teams in the Final Four, which is probably as good a reason as any to pick it. If Davidson made the Final Four, it would guarantee that a Wildcat team wins the championship.

Then a final of Arizona and Iowa State. Because bear down, bitch.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Democrazy posted:

I have Gonzaga losing to Davdson, because that seems like a very Zags outcome ot the tournament.

Also, Valprasio over Maryland because that's probably going to be the sexy upset this year.

Seems like the sexy upset this year is Buffalo over West Virginia. I feel like I've heard a few people on TV already mention that they're picking Buffalo to win. I mean maybe, since WVU is injured, but I can definitely see that press completely screwing up Buffalo.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Believe in the spirit of Ali Farokhmanesh

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Meltathon posted:

Seems like the sexy upset this year is Buffalo over West Virginia. I feel like I've heard a few people on TV already mention that they're picking Buffalo to win. I mean maybe, since WVU is injured, but I can definitely see that press completely screwing up Buffalo.

Buffalo also has an injury and we should be near 100%. I don't think its going to be an easy W or anything, but I also don't think a mid-major is going to be able to phase us much. The team's we've struggled with were all super athletic, rangy, and could shoot. Buffalo wants to speed the game up and play uptempo --- that plays into our hands. Buffalo isn't a particularly great shooting team either -- the other hallmark of teams that beat us. Hell even injured we gave Kansas everything it wanted in the Phog and came up just short against Baylor -- a team who'd beaten us soudly bo

I think Bilas picked it because he's on the Bobby Hurley train. Gottlieb did because he's a dick.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 16, 2015

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

Democrazy posted:

Always bet on Valpo.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

Believe in the spirit of Ali Farokhmanesh

No thanks.

Unless it means UK going down in a blaze of midmajor outside shooting glory.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
the final four i have came up with is Kentucky, Arizona, Virginia, Iowa State

-Kentucky because if they don't make the final four it would be :vince:

-Arizona because they get free throws at high rate and are top 5 in defensive efficiency

-Virginia because they are top 5 in defensive efficiency and gently caress the Sooners

-Iowa State because there path seems relatively easy till they reach Duke and i see them see them winning
winning that game

thoughts?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I just chose Utah to make it farther than UNC. Am I crazy?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

I just chose Utah to make it farther than UNC. Am I crazy?

Not by KenPom, although Utah didn't have a great close to the season.

ISU seems like they're going to be in a lot of trouble if they have an off shooting night, especially against a bigger team. And as much as people want to say they're on a roll now they had a bunch of tight games they easily could have lost in the conference tournament where they got down big before coming back. But I am of course extremely biased there so take that for what you will.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Baylor Bitch to win the Natiinal Baylor Bitch Nantional championship. Iowa st and texas round out the final four, wvu too but only if baylor can beat wvu in there otherwise i dunno. kentucky gets upset early

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MourningView posted:

Not by KenPom, although Utah didn't have a great close to the season.

ISU seems like they're going to be in a lot of trouble if they have an off shooting night, especially against a bigger team. And as much as people want to say they're on a roll now they had a bunch of tight games they easily could have lost in the conference tournament where they got down big before coming back. But I am of course extremely biased there so take that for what you will.

so who do you think is coming out of the south region? duke? davidson?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This will totally be the year Gonzaga gets past the humpahahahahahahahaha

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

Duke, although I think Gonzaga could give them issues too. Duke especially though. Their offense is even better and the defense is about a wash. Okafor is also a massive mismatch against ISU's front line. They don't have anyone who can come even close to checking him.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 17, 2015

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Metapod posted:

Fear the Spear

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
People who are saying that ISU is playing well and are picking them because of that, you should consider the fact that they have come back from double-digit deficits their last five games in a row. Teams who are playing well do not go down double digits to begin with. To be sure, when they're good - they're good - but they have some real big stinkers.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
In as Foochs' Swag Bracket. I have UK winning it all against UVA but I also have ISU in the Final Four so I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing this year.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I love watching Iowa State play, but I have them losing to Gonzaga. Their recent comebacks have been amazing, but you kind of have to put together more than one half of good basketball in your games to make a deep NCAA run.

edit: and to prove I am not a homer I have Iowa losing to Davidson. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

I love watching Iowa State play, but I have them losing to Gonzaga. Their recent comebacks have been amazing, but you kind of have to put together more than one half of good basketball in your games to make a deep NCAA run.

edit: and to prove I am not a homer I have Iowa losing to Davidson. :(

Coward! :mad:

• Locked thread