Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Alris posted:

Anyone have any tips for the original Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2?

By the original you mean the MSX remakes that come with MGS3, right? Don't play the NES games.

The first game is bullshit hard. You have to save every single hostage to successfully complete the game but you can accidentally kill a hostage including an enemy who disguises himself as a hostage but you'll lose rank for shooting him anyway. And although you can save anywhere the game checkpoints at elevators.

The sequel is far more playable. It could even be done with minimal guide checking. It's still really vague and hard like 80s computer games were. But you'll notice how practically every scenario in this game is used scene for scene in Metal Gear Solid and that's kind of cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

al-azad posted:

By the original you mean the MSX remakes that come with MGS3, right? Don't play the NES games.

Assuming you mean this, for Metal Gear 1:

After you parachute off the roof of building 1, you'll land in a courtyard with two trucks. Immediately take out your landmine detector, then go in the RIGHT truck to get a new keycard -- if you go in the LEFT truck, you'll be transported back to an earlier area, and have to make your way back to the roof, around to the jump point, and back down into the courtyard. As a bonus gently caress you, if you get into the left truck, leave it, freak out and get back into the truck to try to return to the courtyard, you'll be transported even further away.

It's that kind of game.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Metal Gear Solid - you should probably play The Twin Snakes version if you can track that down... for Gamecube but I've seen it be hella expensive before.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gyshall posted:

Metal Gear Solid - you should probably play The Twin Snakes version if you can track that down... for Gamecube but I've seen it be hella expensive before.

It's a two-disc gamecube game that is in high demand. It is very expensive.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

when I started going out with my girlfriend at the start of uni, student loan hadn't come in yet and I ran out of money in the middle of fresher's week. Selling The Twin Snakes got me enough money to make it to the end of the week and therefore have sex. Thank u Kojima

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

when I started going out with my girlfriend at the start of uni, student loan hadn't come in yet and I ran out of money in the middle of fresher's week. Selling The Twin Snakes got me enough money to make it to the end of the week and therefore have sex. Thank u Kojima

Kojima would actually be proud if you told him this.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kojima-san........ I bombed the begina

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm going to start the first The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing with all the DLCs. Don't know if I want to play a melee, ranged, or magic build yet. Any character creation tips or opinions on playstyle?

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

moot the hopple posted:

I'm going to start the first The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing with all the DLCs. Don't know if I want to play a melee, ranged, or magic build yet. Any character creation tips or opinions on playstyle?

If I recall correctly you can actually end up with the biggest bang for your buck by dumping more or less all your points into body with perhaps a few sprinkled into luck. Mine ended up being pure body while one of my roommates did 3/1 body/luck and we both did fairly well.

Russian Remoulade fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 16, 2015

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I'm slowly playing through Darksiders 2 after getting it through Games with Gold recently. Are any treasure chests or collectables missable? I've left behind chests and things (especially in the overworld) that I tried to get but figured that I would need a new ability to get them, Metroidvania style. For instance, one chest had at least one ring in the ceiling around it that I figured would be used in conjunction with some kinda Hookshot-like device to get to it. Other times I've noticed I can't find a way to get to chests that have these blue circles on the wall nearby, which I'm sure are significant but I don't know how. It will annoy me if I decide later to go back and get these to find out they are inaccessible and that i just should have kept searched for a way to get to the loot rather than waiting to see if I got some new ability later on down the line that would help.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

moot the hopple posted:

The really lovely thing about using the DLC classes is that a lot of the story rewards are still for the standard Van Helsing, so you get rings and whatnot that give +Skill that only standard Van Helsing has. While the other guys do have their own equipment (that aren't exclusive drops since Katarina still needs swords and whatnot), I don't think they have quite as many unique quest rewards, if any.

But other than that, just go with what you're comfortable with.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Anything for Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.? How about the Amiibo support? I've got a Marth...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Something for Metal Gear 1, MSX version... if you don't have enough C4 for the last area, the game is unwinnable. Do not waste your C4 like I did :(

edit: vv :golfclap:

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 17, 2015

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Shoulda had infinite ammo guy

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Any advice for Romance of the Three Kingdoms? I found my dad's old NES copy and decided I might give it a go.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Anything for Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy? I've poked a bit at the two characters, Raze and Ulrika, and honestly I don't really like either of them; Raze is kind of boring and Ulrika is a self-centered rear end in a top hat. Assuming I won't bother to play through both plotlines, which one should I choose? I've heard that there are significant plot differences between them, it's not just a matter of different starting parties.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ToxicFrog posted:

Anything for Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy? I've poked a bit at the two characters, Raze and Ulrika, and honestly I don't really like either of them; Raze is kind of boring and Ulrika is a self-centered rear end in a top hat. Assuming I won't bother to play through both plotlines, which one should I choose? I've heard that there are significant plot differences between them, it's not just a matter of different starting parties.

There are definitely differences, even if the overarching plot is more or less the same. Personally, I'd say you should judge based on which sides characters you like better (hint: it's Ulrika) since a lot of the game is CHARACTER INTERACTIONS.

Raze's party is him as boring passive-aggressive and regular-aggressive rear end in a top hat, his incredibly generic tsundere master, over-energetic idiot girl, boring fire mana mercenary guy and small girl who was raised by Punis (you know, those little slime things).

Ulrika's party is her as the overly aggressive idiot savant, the moody sarcastic goth friend, BEST CHARACTER PEPPERONI, annoying rear end in a top hat genius kid and mysterious smooth-talking fursuit guy.

If you want the full story you're gonna have to do both sides, but thankfully they're sufficiently different it's not too much of an issue. If you're only gonna do one side, Raze's storyline is a bit more focused on the overarching plot while Ulrika's storyline has the better characters.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ToxicFrog posted:

You should sort of accept both groups are full of wacky weirdos. Raze's wacky crew mostly centers around Lily being an entitled idiot while Ulrika's crew is just out and out weirder.

This game does not have a serious story and you should embrace watching these stupid assholes making relatively mundane situations incredibly difficult and awkward. Eventually something serious happens I guess because you need a final boss? Whatever let's watch Goto and Pepperoni be in unusually gay circumstances.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a two-disc gamecube game that is in high demand. It is very expensive.

Its around 50 quid online in the UK which is expensive but not jaw dropping. I think I paid like £30 for mine a few years ago before it got pretty rare.

What is pretty depressing though is that I paid £80 for a PAL copy of Metal Gear 3: Subsistence and thats now dropped down to like £15 because of the HD re-releases.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Without ruining story, anyone got anything for the first Uncharted game? More specially weaponwise such as what is better than what. Currently fighting people and zombie things or whatever the hell they are (I could look it up but like I said, I'm trying to not ruin the story) and so far my strategy has been who cares as long as it has bullets in it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
That's about it. Uncharted is not a deep game.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

juliuspringle posted:

Without ruining story, anyone got anything for the first Uncharted game? More specially weaponwise such as what is better than what. Currently fighting people and zombie things or whatever the hell they are (I could look it up but like I said, I'm trying to not ruin the story) and so far my strategy has been who cares as long as it has bullets in it.

If you're fighting zombie things you must already be near the end of the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

juliuspringle posted:

It's been a fair while since I've played, but iirc stick to your assault rifle instead of the shotgun. You'll never reload in time before they rush your rear end.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

If you're fighting zombie things you must already be near the end of the game.

Yeah, turns out I was just about done (I hadn't played in I don't know a year or so so I thought I wasn't far into it.) so for anyone that hasn't played it yet the final boss fight comes down to pattern memorization. Is Uncharted 2 98% cover shooter and 2% puzzle exploration like the first one because if so I'm gonna work on God of War 3 next.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
It may be that Uncharted's arenas are more cramped than I remember, but you should NOT be playing it as a cover shooter. Move around. Try to flank dudes. Punch them in the face. Melee is very satisfying and you're a bullet sponge.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

My friends and I have started playing Monster Hunter 3rd, on the PSP (Actually, 3rd HD, on PPSSPP, but the same idea is there).

We've been playing a couple of days now, and we have the general jist down, but I think we're missing some stuff. Its really hard to work out what we need to do to get certain items, we're struggling to actually hurt the bigger monsters and most of us are stuck on the base Bone/Metal armours that start the game off. We've done some work on the farm, I have a sweet boar lance, but we need some more general gameplay info I think.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

juliuspringle posted:

Yeah, turns out I was just about done (I hadn't played in I don't know a year or so so I thought I wasn't far into it.) so for anyone that hasn't played it yet the final boss fight comes down to pattern memorization. Is Uncharted 2 98% cover shooter and 2% puzzle exploration like the first one because if so I'm gonna work on God of War 3 next.

UC2's level design much better supports being on the move. All three games want you to be on the move as much as possible but only 2 really has the arenas to support that. The general flow of the game is more or less the same.

Fat Samurai posted:

It may be that Uncharted's arenas are more cramped than I remember, but you should NOT be playing it as a cover shooter. Move around. Try to flank dudes. Punch them in the face. Melee is very satisfying and you're a bullet sponge.

Only on Easy modes, or in Uncharted 2, though I dunno if that holds into UC2's harder difficulties.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Ramagamma posted:

What is pretty depressing though is that I paid £80 for a PAL copy of Metal Gear 3: Subsistence and thats now dropped down to like £15 because of the HD re-releases.

I remember finding a copy in a game store for £20 about 5-6 years back. Someone spotted me after I got it and offered me £60 for it on the spot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

My friends and I have started playing Monster Hunter 3rd, on the PSP (Actually, 3rd HD, on PPSSPP, but the same idea is there).

We've been playing a couple of days now, and we have the general jist down, but I think we're missing some stuff. Its really hard to work out what we need to do to get certain items, we're struggling to actually hurt the bigger monsters and most of us are stuck on the base Bone/Metal armours that start the game off. We've done some work on the farm, I have a sweet boar lance, but we need some more general gameplay info I think.

I can't remember if 3rd has it but 3U and 4U have a "combination list" that has ????? + ???? = ????? for all the recipes in the game. If you have the mats it'll be lit up, and you can just make one of each recipe an then it'll replace the ????s with the actual ingredients.

Alternatively just look up all the item combinations on a wiki somewhere? :shrug: Comeon dude.

Mostly just gather EVERYTHING you can, and you'll learn from experience where you can get what. Always bring a few nets and pickaxes with you on a hunt, and you can gather some bushes, honey, bugs, and stone along the way. The farm saves you from having to gather things forever, as you go you can farm more and more and then focus entirely on boss fights and stop bringing the pickaxes and bug nets with you.

The things you want to bring on most every hunt: Mega potion x10, maybe a few potions spare (x5?), Well-cooked meat x5, whetstone x5, paintball x5, shock trap x1, pitfall trap x1, dung bomb x6, mega pickaxe x5, mega bugnet x5
If you're doing a capture mission, bring even more traps and bring tons of tranq bombs. If fighting something with poison, bring antidotes. Etc.

If you're doing low rank missions, some supplies will be provided for you. At high rank this stops happening and you have to bring everything yourself. Even though you get some freebies, you should still bring supplies of your own at low rank.

Finally, upgrades:
Craft all the weapons you can. Each boss if you kill them between 1-4 times you should have enough mats to make a weapon. You can both craft weapons outright or you can upgrade down the tree; the end result items are identical, but sometimes you have to spend more resources to craft outright and other times you spend more to upgrade. Again, check out wikis if you want more information.

Armor is a different story. Each piece of armor gives you bonus points to "armor skills", but you have to reach thresholds for them to do anything. Getting +6 attack does literally nothing, but getting +10 attack counts for "Attack Up S" threshold and now gives you a bonus to attack. Getting it up to +15 attack turns that into "Attack Up M" and so on. There are also negative armor skills that you get from hitting negative thresholds, like -10. If you can slot a gem to give yourself +1 so it takes it to -9, it loses the negative effect. Similarly slotting gems to push yourself from +9 to +10 is good.

As a result of armor skills, you mostly want to wear a full set of armor. That means crafting the helmet, arms, chest, pants and boots from one monster. That means killing one monster LOTS of times. So pick something that looks like a good armor set to get invested in, check the armor skills for things that help you, and then farm a single boss monster until you have a full set. A good starting set for melee fighters is Jaggi, and you'll probably end up fighting him many times. Make yourself a full set of Jaggi armor and then upgrade it as much as you can, and then that should last you for a long time (possibly until high rank).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Only on Easy modes, or in Uncharted 2, though I dunno if that holds into UC2's harder difficulties.

Ok, let me rephrase: You can charge a guy, shooting at him while running, and finish him by punching him in the balls and then hide to heal.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The sad thing is, Metal Gear Solid 3 used was down to four loving dollars less than 6 months after release. I couldn't believe my eyes.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The sad thing is, Metal Gear Solid 3 used was down to four loving dollars less than 6 months after release. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Animal Crossing: City Folk for the Wii is $34.99 at gamestop but apparently (you can look up trade in values for games now.) they will give you $8 for it if you trade it in.

I'm pretty sure they shut down multiplayer services for the Wii so I'm not sure how it's so high since there is an Animal Crossing game on 3ds.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Wasn't that because there was an improved re-release with a not-poo poo camera?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Male Man posted:

MGS3: Subsistence, yeah. It also added multiplayer in addition to the better camera.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Male Man posted:

That didn't come out until another year and a half. And that was also immediately an extremely low price used at Gamestop a few months after release.

Sorry for this derail, sometimes I forget what thread I'm in.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

juliuspringle posted:

IMO, Uncharted 2 is a very fun game and easily the highlight of the series. I would highly recommend you give it a go.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

That didn't come out until another year and a half. And that was also immediately an extremely low price used at Gamestop a few months after release.

Sorry for this derail, sometimes I forget what thread I'm in.

I honestly didn't know it was out until I saw it randomly one day at Blockbuster.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

This really only applies in the first half of the game. Eventually enemies get laser sights and long range weapons, practically forcing you to keep cover and take careful pot shots.

The sequels change up melee combat so much that you'll get shot dead if you adapt a run and gun style of play. In the original a three hit combo is instant death but Uncharted 2 and 3 have enemies that will break your combo, require multiple hits, or are flat out immune to melee.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

al-azad posted:

This really only applies in the first half of the game. Eventually enemies get laser sights and long range weapons, practically forcing you to keep cover and take careful pot shots.

The sequels change up melee combat so much that you'll get shot dead if you adapt a run and gun style of play. In the original a three hit combo is instant death but Uncharted 2 and 3 have enemies that will break your combo, require multiple hits, or are flat out immune to melee.

In Uncharted 2 anything that doesn't immediately push you away will die in three punches, regardless of how many bullets they'd eat before dying. They can attempt to counter you only once per brawl so you never spend more than 4 "beats" in melee combat with an enemy. On Normal, assuming you are at full health when entering the brawl, you can be eating Assault Rifle fire for the entirely of that time and still get to cover safely before you die. Not that this happens too terribly often because the level design often makes it really easy to put walls between you and the other enemies while you beat the poo poo out of the other guys anyway.

You're right about 3 though. YOu can punch people for days in 3 and they won't die. Melee is completely useless in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In Uncharted 2 anything that doesn't immediately push you away will die in three punches, regardless of how many bullets they'd eat before dying. They can attempt to counter you only once per brawl so you never spend more than 4 "beats" in melee combat with an enemy. On Normal, assuming you are at full health when entering the brawl, you can be eating Assault Rifle fire for the entirely of that time and still get to cover safely before you die. Not that this happens too terribly often because the level design often makes it really easy to put walls between you and the other enemies while you beat the poo poo out of the other guys anyway.

You're right about 3 though. YOu can punch people for days in 3 and they won't die. Melee is completely useless in that game.

I remember 2 ramping up really quickly with fully armored guys and dudes with shotguns who love casually walking up to you. I think a run and style is important because you'll still get a neck snap if you wind up behind someone but idk, Uncharted as a series is kind of about pulling off rapid headshots because the enemies can take a beating. Uncharted 3 really goes all out with the arena design.