Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Re-docking organ fugue was siiiiiiiickkkkkkkkk

Take or leave the rest of it.

It really was.

So many great things about that movie, I loved whatever you call it where the cameras are fixed to the outside of the spacecraft (I assume they were scale models, I don't think CGI has gotten that good yet) during the spaceflight scenes. Absolutely loving sold the initial launch and then the improvised docking near the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

just imagine getting a rimmer from space

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

just imagine getting a rimmer from space

Have you read "Guts" by Chuck Palahniuk?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

This guy sounds like he'd be right at home in GiP:

quote:

But Mims, chairman of the academy's environmental science section, told The Associated Press there was no mistaking Pianka's disdain for humans and desire for their elimination.

"He wishes for it. He hopes for it. He laughs about it. He jokes about it," Mims said.

Plus, a billion deaths in exchange for ending deforestation and ocean acidification would be a pretty fair trade.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
What's that, you say? People need dying? You've come to the right place! Boy, doc, have I got a solution for you!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Fister Roboto posted:

Have you read "Guts" by Chuck Palahniuk?

"Never could trust that fuckin' dog"

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
gently caress my life, I think all that dumb infantry poo poo has finally come back to haunt me. Lower back started hurting about a week ago and now I can barely stand. Pain in my lower back and the back of my left leg. One second Google search says sciatica. Awesome! Now to call the VA since it's finally Monday and see if they tell me to wait 4 months for an appointment so I can finally just use that loving card they sent to see a real god drat doctor.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mike-o posted:

gently caress my life, I think all that dumb infantry poo poo has finally come back to haunt me. Lower back started hurting about a week ago and now I can barely stand. Pain in my lower back and the back of my left leg. One second Google search says sciatica. Awesome! Now to call the VA since it's finally Monday and see if they tell me to wait 4 months for an appointment so I can finally just use that loving card they sent to see a real god drat doctor.

Try sleeping on the floor, that has always helped my back problems temporarily

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mike-o posted:

Could be a Kidney stone, too. They have the weirdest ways of starting to hurt

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Sounds textbook sciatica, yeah

Any VA with an ER somewhat near?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Closest one to me is all the way in Seattle, which is about an hour and a half drive. I've had kidney stones before, had back pain with that but this feels way different. Trying to call the VA right now so they can tell me to wait forever, then I'm doing that card right away.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lay on the floor with your back flat and your knees up, like the sit-up position. That's probably as close to tolerable as it's going to get.

If you're losing feeling in your leg, get ready to hobble with a walking stick until you've gotten used to the numbness. Took me a few months but I manage to get around fine with half of my right leg feeling like a 2x4. That was 3.5 years ago. Of course at this point, the nerve damage is permanent and that raises the chances of developing a blood clot.

So yeah, have fun with that and welcome to the sciatica club.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Yeah but now you can shout "AGITATIN' MY SCIATICA! I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS poo poo!"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
all that gets you is strange looks and sometimes a better parking spot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you can't get into the VA clinic to see your doctor, they usually have people that you can just walk in and see. You might be there for hours on end, but you should get seen eventually. I rarely see my actual doctor, but they're pretty good about seeing me if I need something right away or via myhealthevet secure messaging.

If it's after hours and you hurt, gently caress them and go to the ER. They will cover it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you can't get into the VA clinic to see your doctor, they usually have people that you can just walk in and see. You might be there for hours on end, but you should get seen eventually.

yes, that's called the ER at the VA.

be ready to sit for a good while. take a kindle or something because they always have poo poo reception.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Laying on the floor in the situp position helps. I guess my back being hosed is important enough for the VA to get me an appointment, but not until loving thursday (with a different doc other than my usual one, who would have taken months). I'm gonna be watching a lot of episodes of X-Files on netflix.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I have found that the recovery position is one of the only comfortable position when my lower back is killing me.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Season 2 of Danger 5 is better than the first. Show owns.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uuP5u3zsyE

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
Yep, sounds like sciatica I'm sorry to say. Good portion of the management for it is just being really careful what you do with that leg :( been dealing with that for years.

Yoga actually really helped.

Also you should grow a mohawk.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Everyone tells me to do yoga but my shoulders are so hosed that I can't hold myself up on my arms for longer than thirty seconds

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Liberator makes wedges, I'm sure that will help hold you up and open for business for your boyfriend

mike-o you'll probably be feeling a bit more up to speed by thursday. if you have to use a stick, walk with one. don't be a bitch about it, pride is a oval office, but when half your leg is number than it would be after an hour on the shitter, it's better to just use a cane than fall over when your leg goes out or you can't feel your balance.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 16, 2015

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

My sciatica got so bad I couldn't walk, ended up having a micro-discectomy, the protruding bit of the offending slipped disc is cut off, and it was like a miracle, could walk like a human again.

The best relief was to lay flat on my back and pull my knee up to my chest, this eases the pressure on the nerve. Sciatica is an utter bitch I was utterly hosed for 6 weeks before I got the operation, couldn't walk, stand or pole vault.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
I had discectomy and laminectomy it owned. my back is much better now, would go under the knife again

if they say fusion the only response is gently caress off

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

krispykremessuck posted:

if they say fusion the only response is gently caress off

My mom had that done years ago, can confirm it's poo poo.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Is this what wearing a ruck does to you? Navy was the right choice.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
If I get a cane I'm gonna go all out and look like Dr House.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Fart Sandwiches posted:

That and a little over a hundred pounds of armor, ammo, rifle, and kit while romping through Baghdad, Kandahar, and Helmand on foot patrols.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Fart Sandwiches posted:

yes and no. my ruck rarely went over 50 pounds but with vest, plates, helmet, m249 plus barrel and two 100 round sackpacks, life sucked. thankfully I didn't play gently caress-gently caress games in full gear much at all, but I was pushing 90-100 pounds any time my dumbass company decided to do whatever ruck training. then there was the weight of the stragglers on any bullshit company thing. maintenance in a hq company loving sucked because everyone else was either a broke-dick nco, had too much shiny poo poo for rank, or some nearly useless desk jockey, so the burlier healthy folk were left to carry poo poo all the time. it was like moving piles of sandbags around and for every useful body there were 2 telling him what to move.

throw that on top of being dumb enough to enlist as a wheel mechanic and you've got yourself a recipe for dumb on a compounding scale.

E: like, seriously dumb. gotta move a 400 pound floor jack into the back of a humvee? send me two! oh, maintenance only has two e4s. send them anyway! for everything! and it really loving sucked when we went to working split shifts, one day guy and one night guy. one clerk for each shift, clerks rotated shifts every two weeks, mechanics every week to avoid annoying each other to death. but basically, you have to lift a lot of poo poo in some really creative ways to get some rear end in a top hat brassmonkey off your nuts and get his truck out of the goddamn tent. throw in the fun of having your spotter be some 150 pound short chick with no mechanical inclination besides fixing a jammed printer.

holy poo poo I don't miss that part of the army.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 17, 2015

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
drat dudes I for real feel bad for you guys. I came out of my pog rear end service with some minor tinnitus that I didn't even bother to claim because I'm retarded.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

My back, knees, and wrists are all hosed. Can confirm Wheel Mechanic will loving break you.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
it's a pretty serious way of loving up some troops without thinking about it, because most of the time you're looked at as part pack-mule, part machine wizard, and when everything with an engine breaks you're the first person they call, even if it's just for a flat and they have everything they need (gently caress. those. people.). I also ran the M984 in my company in korea. never got the ASI, but I was pretty much a go-to for getting poo poo unstuck the rest of my time in. also for reversing anything with a trailer when someone couldn't figure it out in the first 5 minutes/tries. I didn't sleep much in Iraq.

my wrists sound like a loving gravel crusher and my knees click like a nun trying to keep a row of rear end in a top hat children in line during catechism.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I never thought about back pain while doing stupid ruck march challenges of who can carry the most weight the farthest. Now my body hurts if I sleep on anything other than a rockhard surface

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
on that note, cheap memory foam mattresses are not your friend.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It was not until my separation physical that I found out traumatic degenerative arthritis is a thing. Now I know it is a thing and the doc says it's just a question of when I'll need a back fusion. More years if I play nice, less if I don't. In the mean time I can't go back to being an EMT for fun like I wanted to and have been told 'Not only no, but gently caress no you can't go back to doing the martial arts you used to. Why not karate or something normal?'

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

My back is trashed from years of rucking. Someone thought running 5 miles with 60 pounds of kit on was a good idea one day, and another day in AK somebody else thought carrying around ~140 lbs of gear around a mountain with no train-up was a good idea...or rucking up and down a literal ski slope was a good idea. I'm missing most of 2 discs in my back and lost somewhere around an inch in height due to all the dumb heavy poo poo I had to carry at one point or another. It doesn't bother me often, but on the days it does I'm completely floored. Sleeping in a hammock (like last week, camping out while on a scuba trip) seemed to keep it from being so bad, otherwise piles of motrin keep me moving.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Mike-o posted:

Find the right yoga studio. Changed my life. I had same symptoms as you - turned out to be an L5/S1 herniated disc. Your physical therapist is literally just going to teach you yoga. If you want get it service connected (shouldn't be hard) you may want to get hooked up with a PT so you can document your now-hellish life. etc. Yoga. Seriously, yoga.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
/\/\ gently caress man, trade ya. L3-S1 squashed and torn.

basically yeah. voc rehab said no more heavy lifting, threw me in school, I went back to cooking and the lifting wasn't bad but it still sucked.

I'm at the poo poo outlook point where I don't care if I'm going to be incapacitated by my back in my 60s because I'll be drat surprised if I make it through my 50s in the first place. sometimes stubbornness is the only thing that keeps you going. also that kind of train of thought that keeps me smoking cigarettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
aren't you trying to hike the AT

• Locked thread