Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can't watch Babylon 5 anymore, it hasn't aged well at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tender Bender posted:

There would be an episode where Worf's son is killed by a security guy who claims he tried to murder him for no reason, and Picard has to explain to Data why these things happen.

lol

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The Occupation of Bajor never happened!

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Blazing Ownager posted:

And season 1 of TNG only had one great episode:

Rewatched first few seasons not too long ago. Legit felt bad for that guy, at end of an earlier episode he told Picard something to the effect of, "I respect you immensely and I'm going to request that I be able to serve on the US Enterprise." Seems like future's not a good place to live if you're not a main character.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Kuato posted:

Rewatched first few seasons not too long ago. Legit felt bad for that guy, at end of an earlier episode he told Picard something to the effect of, "I respect you immensely and I'm going to request that I be able to serve on the US Enterprise." Seems like future's not a good place to live if you're not a main character.

The best place to live in Star Trek is on Earth living in a free apartment eating free food loving Marie Antoinette on your personal holodeck. Only idiots join Starfleet.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
tng's first season was the best :colbert:

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Neurion posted:

The Occupation of Bajor never happened!

I know I'm going to piss people off by saying this, but DS9 was actually my least favorite Star Trek show. I never found the stuff with the space Nazis (Cardassians) or space Jews (Bajorans) to be interesting. And the setting of the space station was too limiting. DS9 was boring, lacked interesting characters, and took itself too seriously. Voyager, even with its massive cheesiness, was a way more entertaining show.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Volcott posted:

The best place to live in Star Trek is on Earth living in a free apartment eating free food loving Marie Antoinette on your personal holodeck. Only idiots join Starfleet.

Starfleet is the flying madhouse for all federation planets. Except, this is technoutopia future, so the worst no alien parasite induced problems people have are "slightly impulsive" or "jambalaya".

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Dick Fagballzson posted:

I know I'm going to piss people off by saying this, but DS9 was actually my least favorite Star Trek show. I never found the stuff with the space Nazis (Cardassians) or space Jews (Bajorans) to be interesting. And the setting of the space station was too limiting. DS9 was boring, lacked interesting characters, and took itself too seriously. Voyager, even with its massive cheesiness, was a way more entertaining show.

Yes. And if they remade DS9 now they would have a SJW/fatarse character, I bet.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

mysterious frankie posted:

Starfleet is the flying madhouse for all federation planets. Except, this is technoutopia future, so the worst no alien parasite induced problems people have are "slightly impulsive" or "jambalaya".

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Blazing Ownager posted:

It was infected with Lost Disease that was going around TV at the time: Always stack on more and more questions, never answer poo poo, who gives a drat if they contradict each other? My problem wasn't the religious crap it's the fact it was contradictory unexplained religious crap without any coherent rules.

If the last two seasons were spent answering questions it'd been one of the greatest TV shows. Instead it has the worst misfired piece of poo poo finale I've seen.

"Hey guys I've got a great idea let's chuck our whole civilization including all our medicine into the sun and live in caves shagging natives! Victory!"

ED: Also how the gently caress did they continue calling Cylons robots the entire series. Clearly the non-shiny guys were genetic clones or something, not loving robots. It's not just that they looked like people on the inside (I guess like Blade Runner) but the fact they constantly complained about human limitations and poo poo. Every time they called one of them a "toaster" my only question was "...why?"

BSG is why you keep the network execs away. After season two, they wanted more one off episodes so you got lovely episodes like the racist doctor and boxing matches.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

On an unrelated note, don't watch Andromeda.

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

#ReverseTheTachyons

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I believe that's covered under "jambalaya". Or should I say JAM-BAA-LAI-AHHHHHHHHHH!

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

What Enterprise should have been about : Mostly one off episodes with cool sci-fi stories and an ongoing backstory of Vulcan meddling.

If 9/11 hadn't happened you might have gotten your wish.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Reroute the *something or other* through the main deflector dish

Woah, that just might work!

naem
May 29, 2011

Is that wormtongue from lotr

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Star Trek is one of the most postulous shows ever written and it can get incredibly annoying at times.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

naem posted:

Is that wormtongue from lotr

Brad Dourif plays creepy guys in lots of stuff yeah.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I like the season one episode where Q gets Wesley stabbed.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the one where Tasha had to marry that racist African tribal caricature

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ein cooler Typ posted:

How the gently caress did that get made? Honestly, how do you get a bunch of black people to dress up in quasi-african costumes, act like savages, talk with really, really racist accents, and look through the camera and say, "this is happening!"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Ein cooler Typ posted:

they had a weird jungle-gym poison knife fight, possibly with fire/laser hazards

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

What race were the Downs Syndrome collector aliens? They were the best TNG race and I feel a special kinship.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ Pakleds

"We like things that make us go!"

Semi-Related to the boob talk before, but there was some extra I think who was doing an interview about being on Star Trek and she said that pretty much every female extra had to throw a few socks in her top to fill out the uniforms. The future has managed to eradicate A cups.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 16, 2015

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The future is Australia

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Blistex posted:

How the gently caress did that get made? Honestly, how do you get a bunch of black people to dress up in quasi-african costumes, act like savages, talk with really, really racist accents, and look through the camera and say, "this is happening!"

I know that it pissed Roddenberry off and the director was fired. I believe he went on to direct a really racist Stargate episode, too.

But I may be making that up. I don't really remember.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

Brad Dourif plays creepy guys in lots of stuff yeah.
once you recognize him once you can never miss him again
one flew over the cuckoos nest and exorcist 3 :h: i do recommend

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Tng is on tv now dumbass

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

Blistex posted:

/\ Pakleds

"We like things that make us go!"

Semi-Related to the boob talk before, but there was some extra I think who was doing an interview about being on Star Trek and she said that pretty much every female extra had to throw a few socks in her top to fill out the uniforms. The future has managed to eradicate A cups.

these guys were fat too

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Dick Fagballzson posted:

agreed also romulans and cardassians are ugly so i dont like them zame with ferengi and odo most of all

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Bonzo posted:

BSG is why you keep the network execs away. After season two, they wanted more one off episodes so you got lovely episodes like the racist doctor and boxing matches.

if you didnt know bsg was poo poo and was always going to stay poo poo 15 mins into the pilot idk what to tell you

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

When the Captain gets taken by the Borg? Nurse him back to health? The 500 times every single crew member gets taken over by some mind control or parasite? Nurse them back to health. Some guy gets taken over by what was supposed to be the Borg but then they backpedalled? KILL HIM! Even Stargate SG-1 would snatch the opportunity to capture a Goa'uld and extract the Goa'uld, and they didn't know how to do it. Replicators were better than the Borg. Bugs that eat metal and poop out more bugs.

Can somebody explain how no money is supposed to work in the Federation? Sisko's dad has a restaurant, who decides he gets to have a restaurant there? We rarely see anybody in his restaurant, so the food is probably really lovely. He's been making lovely food for 50 years and everybody thinks that's just how hand cooked food tastes because Sisko's dad got there first. Gordon Ramsay is sitting in his 70th floor floor-wide apartment just hoping the old guy dies so he can finally show everybody how real food tastes.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 17, 2015

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Yaos your Star Trek insight has been a pleasure. Keep on keeping on.

I also wonder about money. My guess is rationed credits.

The future is communism. Tell your friends!

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!

Blazing Ownager posted:

To this day, I still wish we had gotten more than one episode about these awesome evil invading bugs

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
If I recall they built up to the fact starfleet command was acting a fool for like 2 episodes prior to the episodes that covered it directly.

Most hamfisted bullshit ever.

Season 3 is when tng becomes worth watching.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Fonzarelli posted:

i still haven't figured out if all of you nerds are watching Star Trek ironically or not, because goddamn it is insufferably bad

Hey gently caress you pal.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

shiksa posted:

maybe having an entire species of space humans-with-a-different-forehead being portrayed as the same generic species-wide character is a totally retarded storytelling crutch

There's actually an elegant explanation in 'the chase', noob.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Shadow posted:

If I recall they built up to the fact starfleet command was acting a fool for like 2 episodes prior to the episodes that covered it directly.

Most hamfisted bullshit ever.

Season 3 is when tng becomes worth watching.

gently caress you too. Season 1 owns. Seaso. 2 owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Mad as heck abiut all these wrong goony opinions about TREK.

• Locked thread