Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I love that on his song with the longest spoken word section Kendrick raps about losing fans :ironicat:

I think the album was great but I'm a dorky white nerd who loves 80min concept albums. I have a feeling this album will flop horribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
I think it's fantastic right now but I can see how people could have problems with it. It really demands to be listened to as a coherent whole but the length could make doing that challenging.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I've never liked his spoken word so that's a miss for me. When he's rapping well he raps so well but the production and all the corny poo poo I could do without. It'll take a while to digest, How Much a Dollar Cost is the best song maybe

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
yea i like it less than gkmc but that was expected. album i would be better without the talky at the end, i think i actually prefer the radio version.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

A Handed Missus posted:

lmao I skipped the 12 minute track and I don't regret it after reading all this
The first 4:30 are ridiculous (before the 2pac talk and random spoken word stuff).

Yuzenn posted:

TL;DR, King Kendrick has to take the King part from in front of his name, not a good product.

I kinda agree with a lot of that (I'm pretty sure somewhere earlier in the thread I mentioned I hope Kendrick didn't take his rap savior stuff too far) but it works here for me. He is overboard, but he's always been that way going back to his earlier stuff. Like, it totally fits in with the rest of his stuff-it's just now he's able to get the producers/features he likely wanted to use on Section.80/O.D. Also I didn't get the tone that it was all about Kendrick being awesome at all. Also GKMC wasn't really a concert album either so I don't think that's gonna hurt it at all.

Dude's trying to make a "modern" take on What's Going On/There's A Riot Going On/Mingus Ah Um or whatever-it's a protest/social commentary album. I wont lie-I think he could've cut about 15+ minutes out and had a much more impactful statement, but I'm not gonna hate on the album because it's too long because the rapping (which is way more than 15-20 minutes, although I can see how it would feel like that) is all top-notch and he's actually SAYING something. Also all his albums but O.D. were full of skits/interludes. It's somewhat similar to a bit more bloated The Ecstatic.

You mention Andre 3000, but if you remember his last album had about 5 minutes of rapping on it, and the rest was him doing Prince/Rick James/Little Richard karaoke. And I can definitely see how dudes wouldn't like this album, but I think it's something that definitely deserves a bit more time than one listen or whatever, even with the bloat and everything it's a really well put together album. I know I like this better than GKMC upon first impression.

Also I could end up wrong, but I think this album's gonna be all over critic lists and is gonna do decently in terms of sales. For critics there's just a whole bunch here to go over/talk about that will get all sorts of play, and the couple singles are catchy enough to get a less "rap fan" audience.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
alright is like a better version of all day though.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Completely unrelated to Kendrick (and likely to get lost in this discussion)

Yung Lean x Ballout - Wanna Smoke

More SADBOYS x GLO Gang stuff absolutely needs to happen.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
But can you turn up to Kendrick's album?

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Masterpiece. The singles hit a lot harder in the context of an album.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

lmao kendrick's album is loving atrocious and i cant wait for all the cool kids saying its the greatest record of all time something something jazz pushing raps boundaries

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 16, 2015

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

VisAbsoluta posted:

lmao kendrick's album is loving atrocious and i cant wait for all the cool kids saying its the greatest record of all time something something jazz pushing raps boundaries

its amazing, you jackass

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
It's going to be a pretty polarizing album for a lot of reasons. Opinions and poo poo.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

alansmithee posted:

The first 4:30 are ridiculous (before the 2pac talk and random spoken word stuff).

I kinda agree with a lot of that (I'm pretty sure somewhere earlier in the thread I mentioned I hope Kendrick didn't take his rap savior stuff too far) but it works here for me. He is overboard, but he's always been that way going back to his earlier stuff. Like, it totally fits in with the rest of his stuff-it's just now he's able to get the producers/features he likely wanted to use on Section.80/O.D. Also I didn't get the tone that it was all about Kendrick being awesome at all. Also GKMC wasn't really a concert album either so I don't think that's gonna hurt it at all.

Dude's trying to make a "modern" take on What's Going On/There's A Riot Going On/Mingus Ah Um or whatever-it's a protest/social commentary album. I wont lie-I think he could've cut about 15+ minutes out and had a much more impactful statement, but I'm not gonna hate on the album because it's too long because the rapping (which is way more than 15-20 minutes, although I can see how it would feel like that) is all top-notch and he's actually SAYING something. Also all his albums but O.D. were full of skits/interludes. It's somewhat similar to a bit more bloated The Ecstatic.

You mention Andre 3000, but if you remember his last album had about 5 minutes of rapping on it, and the rest was him doing Prince/Rick James/Little Richard karaoke. And I can definitely see how dudes wouldn't like this album, but I think it's something that definitely deserves a bit more time than one listen or whatever, even with the bloat and everything it's a really well put together album. I know I like this better than GKMC upon first impression.

Also I could end up wrong, but I think this album's gonna be all over critic lists and is gonna do decently in terms of sales. For critics there's just a whole bunch here to go over/talk about that will get all sorts of play, and the couple singles are catchy enough to get a less "rap fan" audience.

I'm going to give this an honest to god listen through in the car to and from work (the only time where I can really give an album a good listen) cuz it wasn't easy to digest at work at all with everything going on. (My coworker busted out laughing in the next office when he heard THIS DICK AINT FREE, which was hilarious). Plus spotify is getting railed during this stream and its cutting in and out each track so that didn't help.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

VisAbsoluta posted:

oh word dude?

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
it is bad. really bad.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yuzenn posted:

I'm going to give this an honest to god listen through in the car to and from work (the only time where I can really give an album a good listen) cuz it wasn't easy to digest at work at all with everything going on. (My coworker busted out laughing in the next office when he heard THIS DICK AINT FREE, which was hilarious). Plus spotify is getting railed during this stream and its cutting in and out each track so that didn't help.

Just as an aside, I laughed at "THIS DICK AINT FREE" as well...until about 1:30 when he does like a scat-rap (vocal style, not making GBS threads) over the jazz beat and it's like whoa. Also it's totally a protest song.

Again, you still may not like it but I've been listening to it all day and the long/talky/skit parts blend in and disappear a lot more while his lyrics start popping out a lot more. I'm seriously loving this album.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
It's his grammy album.

Dr. Pancakes
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you for not eating me without syrup
I haven't had a chance to listen to it but I like social commentary type albums like greatest story never told and experimental albums like MDTF. Does it have anything going for it similar to those?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It sounds like he listened to a lot of FlyLo and the new D'Angelo album

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The jazzy stuff is p bad somehow though. I usually love that type of thing but it's not doing it for me first couple of listens

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Dr. Pancakes posted:

I haven't had a chance to listen to it but I like social commentary type albums like greatest story never told and experimental albums like MDTF. Does it have anything going for it similar to those?

He interviews tupac and tupac unironically says "eat the rich".

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

sudo rm -rf posted:

He interviews tupac and tupac unironically says "eat the rich".

Tupac is dead bro.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Hey guys go check out reddit and 4chan, they're eating this poo poo up.

A 80 minute concept album entirely about race/social justice issues written by a guy who's signed to Interscope living in a wealthy LA suburb? That ends in a fake interview with a rapper who's better than Kendrick will ever be who's been dead for 19 years? With SPOKEN WORD?!?!?!?! AND JAZZ???!!!!!!

JUST TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY

Anyone want to start a betting pool on what pitchfork will rate TPaB? I'm going with 9.7/10

The beats were alright though. Forgettable and generic, but listenable. Kendrick pretty much raps in the same flow/cadence the entire album though which annoyed me, and it seemed overly edited. He should have thrown the album in the trash and started over a third time. Color me unsurprised the album sucks though, Kendrick is stuck in probably the worst record deal in hiphop and you can tell in interviews how apathetic he is about the whole ordeal. He has no motivation to make it good. I've never really been a fan, but this album really feels like a mix of all the worst parts of section 80 and maaad city without any of the magic.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 16, 2015

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
yeah, reddit, paragons of social justice where Young Thug did an IAMA about being a rapper and one of the most popular questions was "how old are you and what crimes have you committed"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I guess he forsook the rest of TDE? Not even an Ab feature????

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

yeah, reddit, paragons of social justice where Young Thug did an IAMA about being a rapper and one of the most popular questions was "how old are you and what crimes have you committed"

they'll buy TPaB in droves because White Guilt

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

lmao

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
if you ever thought Kendrick Lamar was a good rapper read this http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.15954/title.kendrick-lamar-recalls-having-a-vision-of-tupac-shakur-in-his-sleep

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I guess he forsook the rest of TDE? Not even an Ab feature????

Top said Jay Rock's album is still on the way

Keep the dream alive

Modest Mike
Oct 23, 2008

Upon your feet you have ten toes, they look just like...
po-ta-toes!
I'm not sure how i feel about all this jazz inspired rap stuff on Pimp but 'How Much A Dollar Cost' is amazing and really nails the theme.

Dr. Pancakes
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you for not eating me without syrup
So why is kendricks record deal lovely

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
New Slaine track:

http://2dopeboyz.com/2015/03/16/premiere-slaine-the-graveyard/

Good stuff, looking forward to this mixtape

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

HEY VAPER posted:

Anyone want to start a betting pool on what pitchfork will rate TPaB? I'm going with 9.7/10

They're overdue for a 10/10. Just a feeling.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

this album will be really good when im really high grilling in june but right now i think it is Very Bad and the jazz/funk samples are dumb and heavy handed and sound like kendrick was really self conscious that he isnt flylo or d'angelo.

to be clear i think his rapping is good but the aesthetic is the god drat worst.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
If they cut all of the skits/spoken word/half baked jazz and funk parts then it would be a pretty good EP

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

They're overdue for a 10/10. Just a feeling.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/17380-kendrick-lamar-king-kunta/

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Really, people are getting a "He wants to save everyone" vibe from this album?

This album seems way more like him trying to process his fame and rap/spoken word through his own personal depression and personal thoughts.

"u" nails the self-loathing and anxiety of depression goddamn perfectly.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I want to touch Kendrick's mouth with my mouth.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

I think every pitchfork review I've read was just them comparing an artist to a bunch of other artists.

Also Kendrick's voice sounds feminine as hell on some of these songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Robert Analog posted:

Also Kendrick's voice sounds feminine as hell on some of these songs.

After about five repeated listens my feelings on the album are generally positive but I can't abide by that thing he does with his voice on "u" and "i"