Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

This album seems way more like him trying to process his fame and rap/spoken word through his own personal depression and personal thoughts.

"u" nails the self-loathing and anxiety of depression goddamn perfectly.

This is the vibe I'm getting as well. I need to give the album a few more listens but, generally, this. Him repeating the "found myself screaming in a hotel room" bit throughout the songs kinda hit home for me. I like how it further expands in each subsequent song as well. It's smooth as gently caress beatwise as well, but not quite the same as Section.80 or OD. I'm sorry but, any overly scathing hatred for the album is clearly hipster drivel, or trolling. It might not flow as well as GKMC, it might not even be as good as GKMC, but it's not a bad album by any means. I say "might" cause, again, I need to give the album a few more listens. But it doesn't deserve pure hatred.

EDIT: Also this:

Critics want to mention that they miss when hip hop was rappin’
Motherfucker if you did, then Killer Mike'd be platinum

pliable fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
you just genuinely used the term hipster drivel

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
And here it goes...NYT take it away!

"No wonder the album earned comparisons to Nas' "Illmatic," the cinematic view of New York project life in the late 1980s and early '90s. It also made Lamar so respected that when Macklemore and Ryan Lewis took best rap album over him at the 2013 Grammys, Macklemore wound publicly apologizing to Lamar."

I can't even....pitchfork is even worse with this poo poo

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I guess he forsook the rest of TDE? Not even an Ab feature????

This is a good thing

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I've always had difficulty with Kendrick's robotic look-look-I-can-rap-really-fast monotone style forever tbh, which I concede is more of a comment on me than on Kendrick, there's just little arbitrary things that can stop you from connecting to legitimately good artists. Coupling robovoice with the jazz stuff it's just not the sort of vibes I can really connect with, but this is probably an album that'll blow my mind when I'm smoking a blunt out on my balcony at night or something so I'll save it for then. (I did enjoy a lot of Section.80 though and obviously I couldn't resist a lot of GKMC)

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

Yuzenn posted:

I can't even....pitchfork is even worse with this poo poo

"If it doesn't sound like radiohead, then it's poo poo" - Pitchfork

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

pliable posted:

Someone should punch you in the mouth

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

pliable posted:

holy hell you're dumber than I previously thought

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cool Buff Man posted:

Someone should punch you in the mouth

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

holy hell you're dumber than I previously thought

lol opinions. You guys are adorable :3:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Gave the new Kendrick album a few more listens and I'm starting to accept that while I respect the artistry and talent that went into making it, it feels like a total chore to listen all the way through. It's like one of those Oscar bait films that are really well made but don't really do much for me past an intellectual level.

As an aside I really like this new Future song -> http://www.missinfo.tv/index.php/future-march-madness/

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

pliable posted:

any overly scathing hatred for the album is clearly hipster drivel, or trolling.

hipsters love loving kendrick you idiot have you ever seen the crowd at a kendrick show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFXEFWBQ9kw

the more i listen to this album honestly the more i dislike it. the production is just bordering unlistenable to me. maybe someone will remix it someday.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Kendrick's album is too good to be good, if you know what I mean. Also, I hate hipsters.

sean price
Sep 30, 2011

by Lowtax

temple posted:

Kendrick's album is too good to be good, if you know what I mean. Also, I hate hipsters.

then you'll love (hate) this video! my friends roommate did the worst review of the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrc0KepIM3o

needless to say it's getting destroyed by actual music critics

https://twitter.com/Passionweiss/status/577580316455362560

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

theres no such thing as hipsters.

the homeless man is god and then he interviews tupac

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

pliable posted:

Critics want to mention that they miss when hip hop was rappin’
Motherfucker if you did, then Killer Mike'd be platinum
That line is hard as gently caress, but it sounded a lot better on "Moment of Clarity"

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

kendrick continues to go downhill since sec80

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
"Hood Politics" apparently samples a Sufjan Stevens song

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

trigonsareNOThomo posted:

needless to say it's getting destroyed by actual music critics

https://twitter.com/Passionweiss/status/577580316455362560

"I never really understood what white guilt felt like until listening to this review."

Lmao

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

She's hot but not hot enough to watch that review

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
I'm pretty sure this has to be parody

If you watch the other video where they list the top 5 albums from the 90s the dude actually says Nas has a very "urban flow" on Illmatic

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HorseRenoir posted:

Gave the new Kendrick album a few more listens and I'm starting to accept that while I respect the artistry and talent that went into making it, it feels like a total chore to listen all the way through. It's like one of those Oscar bait films that are really well made but don't really do much for me past an intellectual level.
Yeah. I'm about halfway through and so far I'm not feeling most of it nearly as much as GKMC. I like jazz and I can respect that he wanted to try something different, but the use of it here makes the album feel...unfocused, I guess? None of the instrumentals feel especially standout. At times Kendrick's vocal delivery is incredible but at other times it's almost embarrassing to listen to.

I mean I don't hate this but I'm not feeling particularly floored by any of it either. I seriously doubt I'll feel the urge to listen to the whole thing again. Individual tracks from it? Sure, but there aren't even many of those that make me think "holy poo poo I have to listen to that again".

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 17, 2015

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Someone make a really good post about the album so it can be the new thread title, thanks.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

kendrick lamar sucks

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Reminder that you could go listen to All Day on repeat instead of the Kendrick album, or even something else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfSPAqJcAz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnO38amALdU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkfHxKw6dYg

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah. I'm about halfway through and so far I'm not feeling most of it nearly as much as GKMC. I like jazz and I can respect that he wanted to try something different, but the use of it here makes the album feel...unfocused, I guess? None of the instrumentals feel especially standout. At times Kendrick's vocal delivery is incredible but at other times it's almost embarrassing to listen to.

I mean I don't hate this but I'm not feeling particularly floored by any of it either. I seriously doubt I'll feel the urge to listen to the whole thing again. Individual tracks from it? Sure, but there aren't even many of those that make me think "holy poo poo I have to listen to that again".

I've got a pretty good understanding and feel for Jazz because of my dad and the NYC Jazz scene but so many tracks sound like he just walked into Fatcat's and started spitting during freestyle Jazz night. The Jazz isn't even used well most of the time (the new version of I really shines with the much improved sound it has going for it).

Sitting down for another listen to this album did not really help, I still only like a couple of tracks and I got to digest the lyrics.

The poo poo that makes me laugh even more is that it feels like people are saying this is a classic album because of some sort of white guilt apologist bullshit. It won't matter because this is going to get rave reviews from all of the bloggers in the world because they wouldn't dare rock the boat after Macklemore culture vultured the rap awards and praise for a whole entire year. It's not groundbreaking or original really at all, isn't well produced and the BARZ gets drowned out in attempting to throw back to the 90's hard as gently caress with some Wu-Tangesque level length skits.

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

She's hot but not hot enough to watch that review

Truth

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Jazz is a fantastic base to work hip hop beats off of, but the jazz production on this sounds soulless and kinda poor compared to what it feels like its inspiration was, the early 2000s Soulquarians poo poo (Bilal is even on this record twice), and to my ear, Kendrick has dialed all the most annoying parts of his rapping up, the fast monotone flow, the angry guy voice that sounds about as unconvincing and nonthreatening as a pissed off grade school kid, and the terrible skits. To be honest, Lupe Fiasco's Tetsuo and Youth was a more interesting mainstream concept album if we're judging this album against its peers.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I wanted to hate new Kendrick because I'm hipster drivel, but at the end of the day I think it's merely bad. The idea was interesting but the experience of sitting down and listening to it was a chore. It's not a truly terrible album. I'll grab maybe two tracks off it but I have no need to ever hear the whole album again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Blacker The Berry puts the rest of this album to shame. It's like a window into how much better this album potentially could've been.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I've listened to it about 5 times through now. I like it overall but the skits and all of the spoken word and some of the songs are pure audio garbage. Also the 2pac thing is really embarrassing. Listening to it in my car with subs made it sound a lot more like a rap album. When it all comes together it's great though and that's probably 70% of the album. Maybe after all their critical success every TDE guy had free reign to experiment creatively. Like these days I like it a lot more when I'm smoking, but it also has some of the same formatting problems.

It's stupid that white guilt is preventing people from criticizing it lol

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"that nigga gave us Billie Jean, you think he touched those kids?"

:cripes:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Robert Analog posted:

I've listened to it about 5 times through now. I like it overall but the skits and all of the spoken word and some of the songs are pure audio garbage. Also the 2pac thing is really embarrassing. Listening to it in my car with subs made it sound a lot more like a rap album. When it all comes together it's great though and that's probably 70% of the album. Maybe after all their critical success every TDE guy had free reign to experiment creatively. Like these days I like it a lot more when I'm smoking, but it also has some of the same formatting problems.

It's stupid that white guilt is preventing people from criticizing it lol

I like it okay enough so far (four songs in), but it's closer to what Erykah Badu did on her last two albums (which I loved) than anything relevant to what's happening in rap today.

Fake EDIT: Ah, Bilal on the track. Yeah, it's a neo-soul album with a bit more of a rap focus.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i like to pimp a butterfly and think it is an incredibly good album

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
This poo poo album is overshadowing a SBE x GBE track.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

im gay posted:

This poo poo album is overshadowing a SBE x GBE track.

Y'all need to recognize.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Why the hell did you listen to it 5x in one day? Jfc

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

:nws:

https://twitter.com/azealiabanks/status/577629162535538689

https://twitter.com/officiallyice/status/577639990592724992 lol

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
nice

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

So she's down to doing playboy now for pub? That's...interesting.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

King Koopa, plumbers always wanna cut some shells off him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Why the hell did you listen to it 5x in one day? Jfc

When I hear a song I really like I listen to it on repeat for hours at a time. Sometimes it'll take me a while to get through albums because I'll get stuck with a song on repeat for 8 hours.