Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Gaz-L posted:

And you wouldn't say 'harrassment' in reference to the content of the cover or story. It's clearly implying some people were assholes, and hypocrites and became abusive towards Albuquerque.

I was just noting the "in comics" thing, but it's just a fluff statement that's mandatory or whatever. This entire thing is the biggest non-issue imaginable. Variant covers are super duper unimportant things that, at best, are neat additions. It's not an issue that it existed and, equally, it is not an issue that it's being pulled. I just wouldn't want this mentality extending to actual comics where stuff like harassment and violence serve a purpose. Like if people started calling for Killing Joke to get the Chris Benoit treatment because of the poo poo that happened to Barbara and Jim in it then I'd actually be worried about comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Semper Fudge posted:

Stewart clarified on twitter that by threats and harassment DC wasn't referring to people being abusive towards Albuquerque, but rather people harassing and threatening people who objected to the cover

Haha, that's so awesome. I love the anti social justice crowd getting told off.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Semper Fudge posted:

Stewart clarified on twitter that by threats and harassment DC wasn't referring to people being abusive towards Albuquerque, but rather people harassing and threatening people who objected to the cover

They should probably clarify that in an official statement from the company itself.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
This is amazing.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

With the new Robo Batman and all, can this be the new thread title? "Manga and anime for me from now on, no bull poo poo."

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
It's really cool that GamerGate is full of death threat harassers, but that progressives on twitter are now too. If you show too much tits or too little you will be sent deaths the internet will explode at you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

It's really cool that GamerGate is full of death threat harassers, but that progressives on twitter are now too. If you show too much tits or too little you will be sent deaths the internet will explode at you.

https://twitter.com/cameronMstewart/status/577656291839119362

It was the people complaining who were harassed, not the ones doing the harassment.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It was the people complaining who were harassed, not the ones doing the harassment.

Yeah someone pulled up tweets and that was a lie.

The author never wanted the cover in the first place, so he's a little biased (and that's the reason it shouldn't have been there) but enough about that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

Yeah someone pulled up tweets and that was a lie.

The author never wanted the cover in the first place, so he's a little biased (and that's the reason it shouldn't have been there) but enough about that.

No. It was pulled at the artist's request. The artist says they were never threatened. The writer says that DC was referring to the threats against people complaining. You can probably find a tweet somewhere that says something stupid but that doesn't mean jack poo poo.

You're in fact 100% full of poo poo on this subject.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 17, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

NutritiousSnack posted:

It's really weird you're saying the author lied about who was getting threats just because he didn't want the cover to begin with.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

You're in fact 100% full of poo poo.

"The cover was not seen or approved by anyone on Team Batgirl and was completely at odds with what we are doing with the comic." as typed before he talked the artist,

WickedHate posted:

It's really weird you're saying the author lied about who was getting threats just because he didn't want the cover to begin with.

Artist who did the alternate cover.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

"The cover was not seen or approved by anyone on Team Batgirl and was completely at odds with what we are doing with the comic."

What does that have to do with anything you said? I never said the author wanted it. That doesn't mean what they said isn't true.

The artist says they were never threatened. The writer said that DC's comment was in response to threats made against people complaining about the cover. The actual written statement makes a lot more sense that way as well.

NutritiousSnack posted:

Artist who did the alternate cover.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 17, 2015

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
DC has honestly surprised me with this classy move. The DC of 5-10 years ago would have doubled down on it and made DiDio bash the detractors in public.
I guess change can happen, even incrementally!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://www.newsarama.com/23819-dc-comics-full-june-2015-solicitations.html

Full solicits.

Interesting, Green Arrow and Flash have a different cover.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

What does that have to do with anything you said? I never said the author wanted it. That doesn't mean what they said isn't true.

And none of what you wrote changes it either. He was extremely offended by the cover when it was brought up on twitter before DC or the artist made their decision. It's quite clear what loving happened. A hasthag war erupted and DC wanted none of it.

I'll link you a basic timeline of tweets before and during that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

And none of what you wrote changes it either. He was extremely offended by the cover when it was brought up on twitter before DC or the artist made their decision. It's quite clear what loving happened. A hasthag war erupted and DC wanted none of it.

What are you even talking about. :psyduck:

You are straight-up trying to claim that the author is lying about the statement made by DC comics about his book, despite the fact that the artist said they never were threatened so the claim that they were threatened could not, in fact, be true.

NutritiousSnack posted:

Are these actual meaningful tweets or "I found a bad thing somewhere!"

Again, there is an official straight-up statement from the artist, the writer and the company involved. You are about as objectively wrong as it is possible to be. Literally the only way you're not wrong is a conspiracy theory that the author of the book is lying about a statement made by the company they are writing for.

You are seriously sounding like a Gamergater right now.

Edit: Also mysteriously your first and only posts in this thread are to whine about progressives with regards to this comic.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 17, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

What are you even talking about. :psyduck:

You are straight-up trying to claim that the author is lying about the statement made by DC comics about his book, despite the fact that the artist said they never were threatened so the claim that they were threatened could not, in fact, be true.

Nah the author totally forced them to say that is all. It's all a conspiracy! loving...political correctness...gamergate...:argh:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's actually about ethics in comics journalism.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

NutritiousSnack posted:

I don't believe Stewart publicly commented on the cover until after DC announced the decision to pull it.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Nah the author totally forced them to say that is all. It's all a conspiracy! loving...political correctness...gamergate...:argh:

No one is saying this and it's kinda loving funny how loving blind you are to what happened. The cover got criticized. The author quite clearly never wanted it in the first place. The artist in his twitter feed is fending off idiots on twitter and is being told to die and various other things. DC cancels the cover because of the fight over it. DC isn't dumb and is giving the political high road on it. People where offended and those people got sent THREATS. Saying it's because the artist was uncomfortable now because of being put in the middle of this is bad, because that opens the door for clowns to send more death threats and harass employees.

One actual look at the CHANGETHECOVER hashtag is nothing but flame wars and funny to disgusting photoshops.

Gaz-L posted:

It's actually about ethics in comics journalism.

Memes are pulled out...no..

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

WickedHate posted:

I, for one, am totally shocked that some of the same people hopping on the gamergate bandwagon are pushing the evil SJW PC Thought Police Conspiracy narrative here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

The artist in his twitter feed is fending off idiots on twitter and is being told to die and various other things.

NutritiousSnack posted:

People where offended and those people got sent THREATS.

NutritiousSnack posted:

Saying it's because the artist was uncomfortable now because of being put in the middle of this is bad, because that opens the door for clowns to send more death threats and harass employees.

So what you're saying is there is a giant conspiracy by everyone involved. Only you know the truth. That is why you rushed into this thread, which you never posted in before, in order to talk about progressives.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 17, 2015

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Hell yes Green Arrow is finally good again. Zircher's art looks great.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

But what if he's lying!? :ohdear:

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I can't tell from the back, but he looks like they're bringing him back in the classic direction instead of the younger, blonde Tony Stark he's been for the past few years.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

NutritiousSnack posted:

No one is saying this and it's kinda loving funny how loving blind you are to what happened. The cover got criticized. The author quite clearly never wanted it in the first place. The artist in his twitter feed is fending off idiots on twitter and is being told to die and various other things. DC cancels the cover because of the fight over it. DC isn't dumb and is giving the political high road on it. People where offended and those people got sent THREATS. Saying it's because the artist was uncomfortable now because of being put in the middle of this is bad, because that opens the door for clowns to send more death threats and harass employees.

One actual look at the CHANGETHECOVER hashtag is nothing but flame wars and funny to disgusting photoshops.

Memes are pulled out...no..

I'm curious now, what was Cameron Stewart saying about the cover before it was pulled? And what is this grand twitter timeline you've got that proves some elaborate conspiracy about an artist lying about getting harassed?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

So what you're saying is there is a giant conspiracy by everyone involved. Only you know the truth. That is why you rushed into this thread, which you never posted in before, in order to talk about progressives.

It's clear from his twitter feed he was getting dogpiled and harassed this isn't conspiracy theory. PR speak isn't third level, trilateral commission speak

but i'm an mra pua manchild and gamergator and I hate women, and I'm not laughing at this subforum and everyone in this for acting like children when exposed to something they didn't like.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm curious now, what was Cameron Stewart saying about the cover before it was pulled?

I already said it but it was typical "I didn't approve this" type stuff. He never called the artist sexist or whatever. And then when it was pulled he said didn't fit the tone of his book.

It why I'm loving laughing at all this and the response from this thread, that they are surprised and suspicious that Twitter is garbage when it accomplished a goal with they agree with for once.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 17, 2015

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Maybe you should stick with posting on /co/.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

but i'm an mra pua manchild and gamergator and I hate women, and I'm not laughing at this subforum and everyone in this for acting like children when exposed to something they didn't like.

I can tell, what with you rushing into a subforum you don't even post in in order to discuss a comic book cover you clearly read about somewhere else, repeating arguments that someone else made. Truly it is us who are burned by your masterful genius.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I can't tell from the back, but he looks like they're bringing him back in the classic direction instead of the younger, blonde Tony Stark he's been for the past few years.

If you mean he has facial hair and a domino mask, yup. There was a character design published last week, probably some pages back.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

NutritiousSnack posted:

It's clear from his twitter feed he was getting dogpiled and harassed this isn't conspiracy theory. PR speak isn't third level, trilateral commission speak

I already said it but it was typical "I didn't approve this" type stuff. He never called the artist sexist or whatever. And then when it was pulled he said didn't fit the tone of his book.

It why I'm loving laughing at all this and the response from this thread, that they are surprised and suspicious that Twitter is garbage when it accomplished a goal with they agree with for once.

I'm glad you came into this thread to teach everyone how wrong they were about a batgirl alt-cover twitter conspiracy.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

He already had a domino mask during Sorrentino and Lemire's run and was supposed to be growing a beard during Broken judging by something Sorrentino once posted- at the very least he was clearly developing a fair bit of stubble in that storyline.

All of that was reset by the subsequent story arc which was really bad and generally tried to cut Lemire's work in order to turn it into a watered down Arrow. So I'm glad to see a lot of the older elements coming back into play and the colouring style is a lot more reminiscent of Marcelo Maiolo's work on Lemire's run so it's overall looking good. And boy is it great to hear that Felicity Smoak is getting cut from the run. What an obnoxious tie-in character.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I'm just sad we missed the opportunity to make the exact same cover but with a crowbar and Jason.

blah blah different context blah blah women are historically misrepresented in comics blah blah yes I know you're right it's not the same, my point is I will never not get a kick out of crowbar murder references.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm glad you came into this thread to teach everyone how wrong they were about a batgirl alt-cover twitter conspiracy.

The only ones talking about a twitter conspiracy theory are you because you don't agree with what I'm saying, and internet debate is for clowns.

ImpAtom posted:

I can tell, what with you rushing into a subforum you don't even post in in order to discuss a comic book cover you clearly read about somewhere else, repeating arguments that someone else made. Truly it is us who are burned by your masterful genius.

I've posted in this subfourm numerous times actually. I saw this on floating and twitter and thought to talk about it here.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Wait, what's going on? What is this cover gate stuff? Can someone tell me why the cover was pulled?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lemire did get to write a bit of grown up Ollie in Futures End.
Of course, it's not worth slodging through that whole series for. Here are a couple pages:

Also, I Zombie sale at Comixology:
https://www.comixology.com/iZombie-Sale/page/5782?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

The Goon posted:

Wait, what's going on? What is this cover gate stuff? Can someone tell me why the cover was pulled?

The artist can tell you.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dc-comics-cancels-batgirl-joker-variant-at-artists-request

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 17, 2015

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Even though I've never read a thing by Ben Percy outside of a pretty decent fill-in for Detective Comics, the way he's been selling his run on Twitter has me pretty god drat pumped.

Ben Percy's Twitter posted:

The Epic Awesomeness of the Lemire Mythology Will Continue

It's a reboot w/ a much darker, more literary aesthetic. True Detective w/ superheroes.

Remember what happened when Daniel Craig took over James Bond? Like that.

Zero connection to the TV show.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

This series is fun, looks cool, and each episode of the TV adaptation will come with a title card by Allred. Give it your money.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Goon posted:

The long and short of it is this:

There was a Batgirl cover being made for Joker month which homaged The Killing Joke. If you're not aware, the Killing Joke is the story where Barbara Gordon was shot and crippled and then sexually assaulted (although probably not raped) by The Joker. The cover shows a crying Batgirl painted with a Joker smile being threatened by the Joker. The current Batgirl is effectively a soft reboot and is aimed at being a lighthearted book aimed towards a female audience.

People took offense to the juxtaposition of the cover (which is a legitimately unnerving cover) with the current lighthearted feel of Batgirl and asked for the cover to be pulled with a twitter campaign. DC pulled the cover at the artist's request.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

NutritiousSnack posted:

No one is saying this and it's kinda loving funny how loving blind you are to what happened. The cover got criticized. The author quite clearly never wanted it in the first place. The artist in his twitter feed is fending off idiots on twitter and is being told to die and various other things.

I could believe that, Albuquerque's tweet notwithstanding. Twitter's a shithole that's always quick to issue death threats about any ol' thing, and it could be that Rafael either has that filtered or just isn't counting it because it's not like e-mails or letters or anything.

NutritiousSnack posted:

Saying it's because the artist was uncomfortable now because of being put in the middle of this is bad, because that opens the door for clowns to send more death threats and harass employees.

This, though, is really, really dumb. That cover needed to be pulled. I'm inclined to give Rafael some leniency on the basis that the alternates weren't really supposed to associate that much with whatever the book is on and he probably just didn't think the implications through and just wanted to do the homage. That doesn't change it being bad. Everything gets death threats, but judging things in the vacuum of that, that cover doesn't need to be there and it doesn't "affirm" anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just a kind of explosive meaningless kind of question here but what are people's thoughts about Killing Joke. As much as I can see people being upset about a variant cover here, and as much as it didn't suit the tone of the book, it still kind of made sense to reference the Killing Joke because when people think of Joker and Batgirl it is probably Killing Joke that sticks out most in their mind.

• Locked thread