Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boywhiz88 posted:

Anyway, what's the consensus? Better than Good News.... or When The Ship....?
No and no, but it does have a few tracks that have burrowed their way into my brain and refuse to leave, which is totally okay with me because those tracks rule. The rest of the album ranges from just whatever to bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

Hahahaha. No loving way? I'm sorry but that sounds like something Trent Reznor would have called the remix album of Strangers to Ourselves.

Anyway, what's the consensus? Better than Good News.... or When The Ship....?

He's kidding, no details of the hypothetical second album have been released yet.

I'd put this one on about the same level as Good News. We Were Dead is my favorite album of theirs so my perspective is skewed anyway.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

It's my least favorite MM album, but I've also really warmed up to We Were Dead in the last few years - which I thought was a pretty bad album when it first came out.

I truly hate "Pistol." Hey, I appreciate the effort in trying something new, but please don't ever try THAT again.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus
This is actually a pretty solid album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mt. Modular posted:

I truly hate "Pistol." Hey, I appreciate the effort in trying something new, but please don't ever try THAT again.
Yeah, a friend of mine keeps trying to defend it to me, but it's like I've given it multiple chances and it never gets any better for me. That song is just flat out bad.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
On my second spin. I'm that loser who likes everything MM puts out (when I first discovered them as a preteen I went straight from Long Drive to Good News without issue) and I'm a big fan of the record. Even caught myself bobbing my head to Pistol just now. It's easily the worst song on the record but it's still surprisingly listenable, like a mediocre cover/pastiche of Nine Inch Nails. The record as a whole flows really well, and all of the released singles lock together in a cohesive manner with the other songs.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
The start of Pistol is so bad, but the jamming at the end is petty decent. It's always a question of whether or not I want to sit through the poo poo in order to get to that riff. Usually I don't.

The album has grown on me a little, mostly i've just developed a tolerance for the more overwhelmingly bad moments of over-production which has allowed me to enjoy the melodies/lyrics more. There is an interesting album here, but boy if you don't have to dig though a lot of mess to get to it. Also, repeating the word 'know' in slightly different contexts isn't much of an album concept. I definitely preferred the boat trip as a motif.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They played Lampshades On Fire on Fallon tonight. They've got a female keyboardist/vocalist and Isaac was wearing a collard shirt and had his hair slicked back, so that was kind of weird to see. Also they did this little mini jam part at the end of the song that's not on the studio version that sounded very out of tune.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Pistol sounds exactly like a Ween song. gently caress yeah.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
This will be an interesting album to hear live...I imagine; MM never tour Australia. There is a lot of energy in the new tracks and maybe the bombast will play better in person. The fact that they will have to strip them all back a bit can only help too.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Album is better than I expected. I like pistol more than the rest, whatever that means.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I haven't heard Pistol yet. Is it more or less annoying than Steam Engenius?

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.
It makes Steam Engenius sound like Mozart.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FactsAreUseless posted:

I haven't heard Pistol yet. Is it more or less annoying than Steam Engenius?
Steam Engenius is loving dope. Pistol? Not so much.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Steam Engenius is loving dope.
This is like a rickshaw getting pulled around by another rickshaw: nonsense.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Pistol is Modest Mouse: Miami and pretty funny.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
It's definately a joke song, them looking at trends in the music scene and aping them farcically. Every move that it makes is towards the dumbest, grossest sound possible. You don't accidentally make that many wrong choices.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

How are MM live? I've seen them on Austin City Limits and have heard a bootleg and both sounded like poo poo, but I've got friends who've seen them and they say thay were fantastic. Maybe they're extremely uneven?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Happy Hippo posted:

How are MM live? I've seen them on Austin City Limits and have heard a bootleg and both sounded like poo poo, but I've got friends who've seen them and they say thay were fantastic. Maybe they're extremely uneven?
Both times I've seen them they're incredible, but this was at a really small theater in Spokane. Supposedly they don't sound great in really big venues. Their live shows are way louder, rough versions of their songs. They usually play a pretty diverse selection of stuff, though, which is nice.

They used to have a reputation for being really awful live. I saw them in 2009 and 2011 or 2012.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

Happy Hippo posted:

If you have the chance to see them live you should do it.

I've seen them in 2004, 2007 and 2009 in fairly large venues and they did not disappoint. Isaac Brock is a charismatic front man and fun to watch. There's also a ton of stuff going on behind him, two drummers, keyboards, guitars, horns, turntables and more! With so much going on and the heavy percussion I can see how bootlegs wouldn't sound great, but, in person they sound fantastic.

Also, they don't just play songs unaltered from their albums. They do interesting things like mix songs up by placing lyrics or melodies from one song into another and include long solos which feel fresh and fun instead of tired.

All in all, they're super fantastic live. My only complaint is that so much happens during a show that I can't remember half of what happened when it's over.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

They were pretty average the one time I saw them and they didn't play any of my favourite songs. :(

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
I quite like Pistol and I'm pretty definite that it comes out of them working with Big Boi (though apparently the five tracks they actually did with him got binned for sounding too clean, haha) it's got that super-busy, almost too much going on at once sound.

I like the album quite a bit so far, the tracks are a little more individually interesting than I found a lot of what was on We Were Dead.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The rest of Sugar Boats is good in proportion to how much the first few seconds before the vocals suck.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Overall it reminds me a lot of Alec Ounsworth's solo album Mo Beauty, especially Wicked Campaign (which really should get mentioned more because it's excellent).

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

not a terrible album in the scheme of things, but definitely worse than WWD and Good News, which have if anything only grown on me over the past few years. just feels a little too dirge-like on the whole -- slow and uneventful. the livelier moments are decent, but just made me want to re-listen to the better livelier moments from WWD (dashboard is a fuckin choice song btw, and the first 1/3rd of WWD is overall just amazingly well done)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tonight they played Be Brave on the new Late Late Show. That was a pretty interesting song choice, and it came out sounding way cooler than, say, Lampshades on Fire from Fallon a few nights ago.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

I've seen them live like 7 times over the past 10 years. They are usually good but can be very variable. Issac used to get completely poo poo rocked before shows, gently caress up lines, and gently caress up songs mid-way requiring restarts, but that kind of poo poo doesn't happen anymore.

Saw them last year and they loving sucked. They were also playing in a po dunk poo poo town which seems to have a lot to do with how much they give a poo poo.

If they play in San Fran., LA, etc. It will be a good show. If its some shithole with shithead crowds like Fresno, Bakersfield, Reno, etc. then they do the bare minimum and get the gently caress out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Tonight they played Be Brave on the new Late Late Show. That was a pretty interesting song choice, and it came out sounding way cooler than, say, Lampshades on Fire from Fallon a few nights ago.
I really want them to put out another live album and have it actually be good this time. I'm thinking it should be titled Boy, Baron Von Bullshit Sure hosed Up That Last One.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Avalanche posted:

I've seen them live like 7 times over the past 10 years. They are usually good but can be very variable. Issac used to get completely poo poo rocked before shows, gently caress up lines, and gently caress up songs mid-way requiring restarts, but that kind of poo poo doesn't happen anymore.

Saw them last year and they loving sucked. They were also playing in a po dunk poo poo town which seems to have a lot to do with how much they give a poo poo.

If they play in San Fran., LA, etc. It will be a good show. If its some shithole with shithead crowds like Fresno, Bakersfield, Reno, etc. then they do the bare minimum and get the gently caress out.
They always rock Spokane, which is pretty much the definition of shithole town, but they're from Issaquah so maybe it's like a hometown crowd thing.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Sugar Boats is my favorite track by far, and this fan-made lyric video is one of the best I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxnO8SXQmpo

It's an old Fleischer cartoon called Bimbo's Initiation, but the way it synced up with the song with only minimal editing is impressive.

Anyway, the album is a bit of a disappointment considering the extremely long wait but there are a few standouts.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 3, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Sugar Boats is my favorite track by far, and this fan-made lyric video is one of the best I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxnO8SXQmpo

It's an old Fleischer cartoon called Bimbo's Initiation, but the way it synced up with the song with only minimal editing is impressive.

Anyway, the album is a bit of a disappointment considering the extremely long wait but there are a few standouts.

That video's pretty good, and also reminds me how hosed up cartoons of that time could be. "Torture, torture, torture, torture, torture, torture, DANCING"

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjR_3owWUY4

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy
Album is decent, put me in the undecided group for pistol, but the rest of the album is pretty solid. They played here last year, and I thought it was a really good show. They're playing again in Brooklyn this year so it'll be interesting to hear the new stuff too, last year they played stuff from a lot of their albums.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm sorry, I only listen to Modest Mouse albums if there's a song named Lounge in them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

I'm sorry, I only listen to Modest Mouse albums if there's a song named Lounge in them.
That's funny, I only listen to lounge music covers of Modest Mouse songs.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FactsAreUseless posted:

If Richard Cheese did an album of Modest Mouse songs, that would be so great.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Please, link me some Modest Muzak.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

:ssh: The Best Room :ssh:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Pistol has become my third favorite track behind Sugar Boats and Lampshades on Fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I honestly do like this album the more I hear it, but man, I still do not like Pistol.

• Locked thread