Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

140F BSCB have entered the regular rotation at my house. Once a week usually, more if they are on sale for $1.99 a pound.

72 hour short ribs from modernist cuisine were a total revelation. But that may have been due to the crispy beef and herb salad that went with the short ribs and sauce.

I still suck at sous vide eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Generally I do eggs at 63.5C for at least 30 minutes. The change from 30 to 60+ minutes is minimal in my experience so I can hit snooze with impunity. 63.5 gives yolks that are thick but slightly runny. 64 is edging more towards 'gooey but spreadable with a knife.' Loose whites get discarded, tight whites are set but soft.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Saint Patricks Day has snuck up on me again this year. I recall in years past people taking about getting store bought corned beef (the kind without an extra spice packet, everything already in with the beef) and sous vide-ing right in the bag it comes in. Is that really the best way or should the bag juice be drained off to use to cook cabbage or whatever and the beef re-sealed and cooked dry?
Serious eats suggests ten hours at 190, and given that I didn't start a few days ago already seems my best option to eat on Tuesday, right?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ultimate Mango posted:

Saint Patricks Day has snuck up on me again this year. I recall in years past people taking about getting store bought corned beef (the kind without an extra spice packet, everything already in with the beef) and sous vide-ing right in the bag it comes in. Is that really the best way or should the bag juice be drained off to use to cook cabbage or whatever and the beef re-sealed and cooked dry?
Serious eats suggests ten hours at 190, and given that I didn't start a few days ago already seems my best option to eat on Tuesday, right?

I did a bunch last year and forget my exact temps...I think it's earlier in the thread somewhere. I always re bagged them because I didn't want all the stickers they put on the corned been rubbing off and loving up my circulator or something. Pretty sure I roughly followed this: http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/how-to-make-corned-beef-st-patricks-day-simmering-brisket-meat-the-food-lab.html

I did one for like 48 hours though that turned out amazing, really flaky and falling apart. I want to say it was around 140 degrees.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Plinkey posted:

I did a bunch last year and forget my exact temps...I think it's earlier in the thread somewhere. I always re bagged them because I didn't want all the stickers they put on the corned been rubbing off and loving up my circulator or something. Pretty sure I roughly followed this: http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/how-to-make-corned-beef-st-patricks-day-simmering-brisket-meat-the-food-lab.html

I did one for like 48 hours though that turned out amazing, really flaky and falling apart. I want to say it was around 140 degrees.

I dropped mine in the puddle today for 10-12 hours @ 175.

Serious eats made the following tables:

FWIW: I got the kind with the packet and just sprinkled the packet onto both sides of the meat before sealing it fresh into a new bag.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

toplitzin posted:

I dropped mine in the puddle today for 10-12 hours @ 175.

Serious eats made the following tables:

FWIW: I got the kind with the packet and just sprinkled the packet onto both sides of the meat before sealing it fresh into a new bag.

All of this. I generally do 24@170, personally, but I like my corned beef sliceable and firm, not flaking apart.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
"Hey, this sous vide thing is all the rage, they're making shitloads of money on kickstarter and stuff!"

"Awesome, let's get in on that action. What can we make that they'll go nuts over?"

"A good Sous-Vide machine is too hard. I dunno. What about fancy clothespegs to hold the bags? Or, no, hey, I've got it! Racks!"

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lipavi-sous-vide-racks

$45-75 for a metal rack. Sigh.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Dane posted:

yeah but searzall

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Dane posted:

"Hey, this sous vide thing is all the rage, they're making shitloads of money on kickstarter and stuff!"

"Awesome, let's get in on that action. What can we make that they'll go nuts over?"

"A good Sous-Vide machine is too hard. I dunno. What about fancy clothespegs to hold the bags? Or, no, hey, I've got it! Racks!"

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lipavi-sous-vide-racks

But it already exists

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Gotta make sure those are water-resistant first though. I bought a bunch of binder clips for sous vide and found out that they rusted if submerged.

I think BBQ racks might work though

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.
Or maybe even taco racks.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The sous vide supreme came with not one but two racks.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
This is like that metal cast for tortilla bowls that you could use a muffin tin upside-down for.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=spring25

Hey you lazy bums who didn't buy an Anova Precision cooker yet can get $25 off with coupon code SPRING25

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 17, 2015

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
That reminds me, mine was free because Straker never did get around to telling me how much he wanted for the ones he sent out.

Lemme give you money, dude!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Getting some water scale buildup on the heating element and impeller of my Anova. What should I use to clean it off?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Steve Yun posted:

http://anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=spring25

Hey you lazy bums who didn't buy an Anova Precision cooker yet can get 25% off with coupon code SPRING25

Is it 25% now? When I posted the code a while back it was $25 off for the same code.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
25%, $25, same thing, right?

:eng99:

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Phanatic posted:

Getting some water scale buildup on the heating element and impeller of my Anova. What should I use to clean it off?

Speculating wildly- I'm guessing basically run it in a vinegar/water solution for awhile, then wipe it down. That's what I used to do with my old Keurig to deal with scale.

And with a bit of googling- http://community.anovaculinary.com/discussion/56/how-to-descale-and-is-this-why-my-dev-unit-started-beeping-constantly it seems like that's what others have had success with.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Veritek83 posted:

Speculating wildly- I'm guessing basically run it in a vinegar/water solution for awhile, then wipe it down.

I believe vinegar is exactly what the manual recommends.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Choadmaster posted:

I believe vinegar is exactly what the manual recommends.

I just use RO water with mine and that keeps it from ever happening.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
You may ask why we established the company i the UK while we live in other places? The reason is simple: UK is a business friendly country and close to our markets. Almost everything, except for quality and manufacturing control in China, are done with computers anyway. We have our legal address and book keeping in the UK. Mansell & Co, Bishop's Stortford, is our accountant. It's close to the airport with Ryan Air also. Our bank is Handelsbanken, Bishop's Stortford. It has proven to be a very practical arrangement.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

You may ask why we established the company i the UK while we live in other places? The reason is simple: UK is a business friendly country and close to our markets. Almost everything, except for quality and manufacturing control in China, are done with computers anyway. We have our legal address and book keeping in the UK. Mansell & Co, Bishop's Stortford, is our accountant. It's close to the airport with Ryan Air also. Our bank is Handelsbanken, Bishop's Stortford. It has proven to be a very practical arrangement.

What temperature/time do you use when you cook your books

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Any advice for a sous vide gammon joint? Most recipes come with US terms for things and I don't know how this is sold in the US

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Jose posted:

Any advice for a sous vide gammon joint? Most recipes come with US terms for things and I don't know how this is sold in the US

Do you buy that pre-cooked or raw? If it's raw I think we call that "fresh bone-in ham" in the US but I'm not totally sure.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Thanks for the corned beef tips here. 175F for 15 hours was firm, especially when slicing cold, but it fell apart when chewed in a nice way. Tasted great, and the bag juice made the best boiled cabbage I ever made.

Have a photo:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

Thanks for the corned beef tips here. 175F for 15 hours was firm, especially when slicing cold, but it fell apart when chewed in a nice way. Tasted great, and the bag juice made the best boiled cabbage I ever made.

Have a photo:

Looks like mine. I did the same.

Mine was a small point cut, so i didn't have much bag juice, but was tasty.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I wanted to see if I could make some steaks of a chuck roast. I cut nine thin "steaks" out of a bottom round roast I purchased for about $25.

I froze the steaks, and some blobs of worcestershire + butter, then bagged and vac'd the steaks in pairs, each with a butter-worcester blob

I tried cooking a pair at 134 F for about 2 hours. They came out chewy, but edible sliced thin. No juice. Flavorless.

Then I tried a pair at 150 F for 48 hours and they came out sort of dry but flaky and tender, and more flavorful. Plenty of juice for a gravy, which helped a lot. It pretty much tasted like pot roast. Good, but not worth 48 hours unless you're getting more than a couple servings out of it. A whole roast would probably be good this way.

E: I guess my conclusion is that chuck will never be steak. Unless some goon knows better.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Juice Box Hero posted:

I wanted to see if I could make some steaks of a chuck roast. I cut nine thin "steaks" out of a bottom round roast I purchased for about $25.

I froze the steaks, and some blobs of worcestershire + butter, then bagged and vac'd the steaks in pairs, each with a butter-worcester blob

I tried cooking a pair at 134 F for about 2 hours. They came out chewy, but edible sliced thin. No juice. Flavorless.

Then I tried a pair at 150 F for 48 hours and they came out sort of dry but flaky and tender, and more flavorful. Plenty of juice for a gravy, which helped a lot. It pretty much tasted like pot roast. Good, but not worth 48 hours unless you're getting more than a couple servings out of it. A whole roast would probably be good this way.

E: I guess my conclusion is that chuck will never be steak. Unless some goon knows better.

Nah, chuck will never be steak, with all of its connective tissue that needs to break down into lip-smacking gelatin.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

The Midniter posted:

Nah, chuck will never be steak, with all of its connective tissue that needs to break down into lip-smacking gelatin.

You can actually break down all that collagen over a few days at 140F.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I did a piece of chuck roast I'd cut down to something the size and shape of a piece of steak at 135° for 24 hours a few weeks ago and it turned out great.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

I did a piece of chuck roast I'd cut down to something the size and shape of a piece of steak at 135° for 24 hours a few weeks ago and it turned out great.

131F chuck for like 36 hours comes out blushing pink and tastes like/has the texture of deckle.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Same here, except I did 140F for 24 hours. I think Juice Box Hero's problem is one run was nowhere near long enough and the other was too high for too long.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

Juice Box Hero posted:

Part of the beauty of sous vide is that you can turn chuck into a steak. Chuck roast contains too much collagen to be quick cooked at a low temperature. Much like pasteurization or moisture loss, it's a logarithmic function based on time and temperature. Which is where sous vide shines.

The higher the temperature, the quicker the collagen will break down, the quicker it will be pasteurized, and the more moisture it will lose. With something like chuck (or short ribs, brisket, top round, etc), you want to cook it low and slow. 134F (or as low as 131F) for 48 hours would've done the trick; rosy red, moist meat that is tender and flavorful.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I knew I'd get some helpful feedback! Alright, looking forward to redoing it low & slow.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

So after a cook last night, corned beef 6 hours @ 170 or so- I set my Anova to idle at temp while I did some other things and came back to find it was off. I figured it overheated and unplugged it and went to bed but this morning I realize that it tripped the gfci outlet and does so again when I try to turn it back on- just as the lcd starts to come on the outlet pops.

Right now it's sitting in the window sill getting some sun just in case some steam got into it somehow, but I'm a little perplexed since I wouldn't have thought a cook of this temp and duration would have been particularly taxing on the unit. Anyone else run into this kind of thing?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Yes. Drying mine out did not help. I contacted their tech support and (after having to explain what a gfci breaker does; they thought I might have too many appliances on the circuit...) they did a warranty replacement.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Well, I managed to ruin a pork shoulder. I got a vacuum sealer off Craigslist for cheap, and despite my testing it successfully on some cheese beforehand the bag apparently still had a leak, which let in air and water. Oh well...

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Choadmaster posted:

Yes. Drying mine out did not help. I contacted their tech support and (after having to explain what a gfci breaker does; they thought I might have too many appliances on the circuit...) they did a warranty replacement.

This is reassuring, thanks. I put a ticket in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Arcsech posted:

Well, I managed to ruin a pork shoulder. I got a vacuum sealer off Craigslist for cheap, and despite my testing it successfully on some cheese beforehand the bag apparently still had a leak, which let in air and water. Oh well...
I get nervous about that, too, to the point where I tend to seal the stuff and then put it in the fridge for a bit before giving it a really close look along all the seams. I pat it all over with a dry paper towel right before it goes in to make sure there aren't holes in the plastic itself, too.

Also, modernist cuisine recommends double-sealing for very long cooks.