Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
New show premiering tonight at 9 on the CW. Everyone from the AV Club to Sepinwall is comparing this to Veronica Mars, which is no small surprise since it's from Rob Thomas and Diane Ruggiero-Wright.

AVClub posted:

“Life’s short, and then you die.”

Protagonist Olivia “Liv” Moore (Rose McIver) states this via voice-over in iZombie’s pilot, striking the nerve of overwhelming nostalgia to a previous CW series: Veronica Mars. Both shows come from the same creative minds (Rob Thomas and Diane Ruggiero-Wright), but the eponymous heroine of Veronica Mars throws out a much bleaker version: “Life’s a bitch until you die.” It’s odd to think a show with a zombie lead is more optimistic than a show with a human, teenage one, but such is life—or, more appropriately, the afterlife.

iZombie is full of the quick-witted banter with a side of overwhelming darkness that Veronica Mars was lauded for, amplified against a supernatural backdrop. It also features guest stars appearances by Veronica Mars alumni and the same affinity for voice-overs and pun-based restaurants/cafes (like “dog-friendly Internet cafe” Mutt Bowl Surfers).

Alan Sepinwall posted:

Because it’s you and Diane, telling the story a small blonde heroine who narrates her adventures, there’s gonna be this assumption of, “Oh, it’s Veronica Mars becomes a zombie.” Are you concerned about that at all, or do you feel like because it’s the two of you writing, those people will be satisfied when they come to it?

Rob Thomas: I think there are going to be a lot of similarities because Diane and I write how we write. We’re probably finding comedy in the same places, the same rhythms of the show will probably be existing. And yet I don’t find Liv and Veronica to be the same type of character. I feel like their personalities are much different. There’s a righteousness to Veronica. I always think of Veronica as a porcupine and I don’t think of Liv that way. I think she is a warmer human at her core than Veronica. But yes, when Susan Rovner recruited me for this she said, “We want Veronica. We want Buffy. We want a kickass female.” And so that’s what we’ve tried to deliver.

I've gone from totally uninterested to majorly hyped over the past few days. ANyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I've been impressed with a lot of material on the CW lately, so I'm going to give it a shot. Looks like fun.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
The co-worker guy is funny.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Oh, I get it. Liv Moore, "live more." Nyuk nyuk.

I'm glad that they didn't just leave the jane doe having Lady Gaga's name there, I was wondering how long it would take them to come back around to that one.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The taking on of traits of her meals thing is interesting. I wonder how long it lasts?

E: "Maybe he was celebrating drunk cowboy style?"

mastajake fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 18, 2015

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That was fun and had promise.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, I think I'll give this a DVR spot, even though I still hate the name. Hope it keeps up.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I enjoyed that quite a bit. Hope it did OK. Flash leadin can't hurt.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

I enjoyed that quite a bit. Hope it did OK. Flash leadin can't hurt.

Only reason I saw it because I was still in shock.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
The show is good. Can't wait to see where it goes. Read the comics when they came out. Kinda strange seeing a Mike Allred property on TV.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Really, really great start. Rose McIver is a great lead, and the side characters own pretty hard too. Loving black Billy Crystal as the cop and can't wait to see how their arc goes together.

I never read the comics, but apparently this doesn't stick too close to them aside from the general premise. I've heard good things, though, and might pick up a couple trades now. Really looking forward to seeing more of this show!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Didn't feel it at all. Seemed just so meh. I'll give it a few more eps if only because of the showrunner.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The only thing I liked about the comics was the art and the concept. I do like this show though and I wasn't a Veronica Mars fan at all.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Rose McIver does a fantastic job and the series really comes off as an interesting and unique take on the "special powers to solve crimes". I can see the constant references to it being Veronica Mars-like but I'm worried the whole "I'm a zombie and no one can know" might start to drag down the show. Usually the special power has to be revealed to the main ally (the cop) after too long or it just gets tedious.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The comics are fun in the crazy Allred way but they go very big into supernatural stuff which I think this show is staying away from.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I never watched much Veronica Mars, but so far this seems more Dead Like Me. I was entertained.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Slamhound posted:

I never watched much Veronica Mars, but so far this seems more Dead Like Me. I was entertained.

I had no interest in this show til I read this thread and this post just squared it to a great big number.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Loved everything about this, including the main chicks Veronica Mars narrating voice.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
A Rob Thomas show about a sarcastic V.O. girl detective. Of course I will watch every episode.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
mostly shocked that they had Aly Michalka as the non-blonde best friend.

(R.I.P. HELLCATS)

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
It was a weird episode in that it seemed like I had missed the backdoor miniseries or something given just how quickly they flew though the premise. That's not a bad thing mind, I think we're all well and truly sick of origin stories so it makes sense to skip to the meat. I don't know that the meat is all that appealing at this stage though, the procedural stuff wasn't remarkably inventive aside from the brain eating and the mythos is pretty rough. Ill give it an episode or two more, but it might be one I just keep an ear out for to see if it gets really good.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dead Snoopy posted:

mostly shocked that they had Aly Michalka as the non-blonde best friend.

(R.I.P. HELLCATS)

This guy gets it.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Viginti posted:

It was a weird episode in that it seemed like I had missed the backdoor miniseries or something given just how quickly they flew though the premise. That's not a bad thing mind, I think we're all well and truly sick of origin stories so it makes sense to skip to the meat. I don't know that the meat is all that appealing at this stage though, the procedural stuff wasn't remarkably inventive aside from the brain eating and the mythos is pretty rough. Ill give it an episode or two more, but it might be one I just keep an ear out for to see if it gets really good.

The CW's showrunners seem to be all about putting the hammer down these days. The Flash episode we got tonight would have been a second season finale on any other network, and Arrow's become famous for ripping through drama arcs that other shows would drag on for months in like three episodes tops. I'm all for slow burns, but it's kind of refreshing when the shows just get right the hell on with it.

And yeah, seconding the opinion that this show exists smack dab on the Veronica Mars to Dead Like Me axis of the TV spectrum. Whether it's going to settle down and become that good remains to be seen, but it's definitely got aspirations in that general direction.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 18, 2015

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

kazmeyer posted:

The CW's showrunners seem to be all about putting the hammer down these days. The Flash episode we got tonight would have been a second season finale on any other network, and Arrow's become famous for ripping through drama arcs that other shows would drag on for months in like three episodes tops. I'm all for slow burns, but it's kind of refreshing when the shows just get right the hell on with it.

And yeah, seconding the opinion that this show exists smack dab on the Veronica Mars to Dead Like Me axis of the TV spectrum. Whether it's going to settle down and become that good remains to be seen, but it's definitely got aspirations in that general direction.
Yeah, I'm very hopeful for this series. Both because they really nailed down their premise and their characters fast (which has been something a lot of good shows manage to do), and because shows along the Veronica Mars/Dead Like Me axis are something I'm probably just a complete sucker for anyway.

Earlster
Jul 28, 2006

So jaded I'm green.
Enjoyed it, a little Tru Calling-esq.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have seen a single episode of Dead Like Me and i hated it, on the other hand Veronica Mars is one of my favourite shows of all time, and i am happy that it leans much more towards Veronica Mars.
Really enjoyed this first episode.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
CW is fast. The coroner guy wouldn't have known she was a zombie forever. He knew in 5 minutes here.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I hope that dream at the end doesn't mean that zombies (other than the protagonist) are going to play a major role in the ongoing story. Other than that, looks good.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I hope that dream at the end doesn't mean that zombies (other than the protagonist) are going to play a major role in the ongoing story. Other than that, looks good.

I'm willing to bet a kidney that's the villain for the first story arc, possibly the first season.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Tiggum posted:

That's absolutely what it means. You don't hire David Anders for a 10 second cameo

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/izombies-anders-talks-chowing-down-on-brains-as-the-evil-blaine

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

qbert posted:

A Rob Thomas show about a sarcastic V.O. girl detective. Of course I will watch every episode.

I enjoyed the pilot a lot.

I'm also watching Veronica Mars for the first time. I really enjoyed the first two seasons, but the third has not been going well for me. Seems like something was lost between two and three. But I don't really know what.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Speaking of David Anders and Zombies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TkT_LBYWrs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I never heard of this show until I saw the Pilot on Hulu today and it's really good! It reminds me of Warm Bodies, which I liked more than most people I think.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

TVBTN posted:

On the CW, The Flash garnered a 1.2 adults 18-49 rating, down 20 percent from a 1.5 for its most recent original episode. The series premiere of iZombie notched a 0.9 adults 18-49 rating, even with the series premiere of The 100.

0.9 is high for the CW, it probably won't maintain those numbers but if stays above 0.5 it'll be around for a while.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

pentyne posted:

Rose McIver does a fantastic job and the series really comes off as an interesting and unique take on the "special powers to solve crimes". I can see the constant references to it being Veronica Mars-like but I'm worried the whole "I'm a zombie and no one can know" might start to drag down the show. Usually the special power has to be revealed to the main ally (the cop) after too long or it just gets tedious.

It pretty much has to come up sooner than later, considering Liv's vision of the guy who turned her running wild.
Did we ever see the rival girl who invited her to the party again after she was zombified and climbing the sail of the boat? I'm sure there were more than a few people who went full zombie that weren't accounted for, which will likely be a future plot thread.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I enjoyed the pilot a lot.

I'm also watching Veronica Mars for the first time. I really enjoyed the first two seasons, but the third has not been going well for me. Seems like something was lost between two and three. But I don't really know what.

What was lost was a lot more obvious when it was airing, between season 2 and 3 is when WB changed over to CW and they made a sharp turn into Angsty Teen Drama territory as a network. For Veronica Mars this manifested in the form of a (long-defunct) network fan site that actively encouraged shipping and segments during commercial break featuring the "Aerie Girls", who were a bunch of teenage girls fawning over the male characters and chatting about the show like it was a soap opera, to match the amount of relationship bullshit that sandbagged the show in season 3.

It was just overall a really bad season until the last 2-3 episodes when everyone winds up back in Neptune and the show tries a bit to recapture its former glory, but doesn't have enough time left to develop things and just leaves a bunch of things hanging.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I had repressed the memory of the Aerie Girls until just now, you son of a bitch. I think they shoehorned them into the Gilmore Girls too. It was the worst.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Apart from Piz season 3 was still really good, it just wasn't as good as the previous seasons, and the changes they had to make to satisfy the network meant we actually got a third season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
Yep, this is a good show.

• Locked thread