Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

TG-Chrono posted:

I dunno, I have some serious moral quibbles with teams I support. Carlton are gamblor-sponge monsters. The Bills are owned by King and Queen fracker and West Ham are probably owned by some oil baron who pays Afghanis 2 quatloos to the limb. If I submitted to my moral self I'd barrack for North.

Well my NRL team is the Brisbane Broncos, who are owned by Rupert Murdoch, are the only NRL team to align with sides of politics while making donations to said sides of politics (the Newman government no less) and when their games are being commented on by Ray Hadley are the beneficiaries of his overwhelming praise at all times. Lucky I follow the kangaroos to balance that out though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

cpaf posted:

Well my NRL team is the Brisbane Broncos, who are owned by Rupert Murdoch, are the only NRL team to align with sides of politics while making donations to said sides of politics (the Newman government no less) and when their games are being commented on by Ray Hadley are the beneficiaries of his overwhelming praise at all times. Lucky I follow the kangaroos to balance that out though.

James Brayshaw is a oval office. And as a North supporter, I blame you personally for him and his atrocious cricket commentary.

edit: To make a serious point though, I doubt there is any major sports team anywhere in the world that is not owned/run buy horrible horrible people. And if there is, then that sports team probably has horrible horrible people playing for them, and if they don't then they are supported bu horrible horrible people.

In short: people are cunts, people involved at the highest level of sport exponentially so.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 18, 2015

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

cpaf posted:

Well my NRL team is the Brisbane Broncos, who are owned by Rupert Murdoch, are the only NRL team to align with sides of politics while making donations to said sides of politics

Well I follow the Cronulla in NRL
& Penn State in US College sports....

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I don't get the Brayshaw hate. Mediocrity just doesn't seem like a hateable offence.

I'm waiting to see what happens with Majak Daw before I'm willing to jump on the good ship Norf.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

BrigadierSensible posted:

In short: people are cunts

Welcome to life, your ticket is valid for roughly 70 years.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
So: 15 second shotclock, umpire audio on free kick replays at the ground, umpire deliberation audio on score review at the ground, countdown timer to play resuming between quarters and different roof position trialled to reduce glare at etihad is all on the table for this weekend

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Saw some junior footy training session out the train window on the way home. One kid had a Melbourne jumper on. What kind of terrible parent would do that to a child.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Gough Suppressant posted:

So: 15 second shotclock, umpire audio on free kick replays at the ground, umpire deliberation audio on score review at the ground, countdown timer to play resuming between quarters and different roof position trialled to reduce glare at etihad is all on the table for this weekend

These are all actually sane and legit suggestions and I approve. It gets the fans more involved.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
It seems like the AFL is thinking "how can we get more people at the ground", rather than "how can we fleece people who turn up to the ground" to make money these days. What a novel concept.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Diet Crack posted:

These are all actually sane and legit suggestions and I approve. It gets the fans more involved.

I'm not sold on the shotclock but I like the rest of them

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Good. I like it when they try new poo poo.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Saw some junior footy training session out the train window on the way home. One kid had a Melbourne jumper on. What kind of terrible parent would do that to a child.

My younger brother chose to become a Tiger supporter with no parental influence (family of 7 with 6 different teams), and he started getting into footy in the mid 90's.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'm not sold on the shotclock but I like the rest of them

Can't wait to put people off their shots as the entirety of Subi starts yelling obscenities on the 5 second mark for opponents.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Spedman posted:

It seems like the AFL is thinking "how can we get more people at the ground", rather than "how can we fleece people who turn up to the ground" to make money these days. What a novel concept.

Under new management!

A poor one. Savers throw out bin is a goldmine.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

hiddenmovement posted:

I don't get the Brayshaw hate. Mediocrity just doesn't seem like a hateable offence.
I take it you don't watch cricket

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Shmoses posted:

I take it you don't watch cricket

Look he's not great but he's not BT either

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

James Brayshaw is a oval office. And as a North supporter, I blame you personally for him and his atrocious cricket commentary.

edit: To make a serious point though, I doubt there is any major sports team anywhere in the world that is not owned/run buy horrible horrible people. And if there is, then that sports team probably has horrible horrible people playing for them, and if they don't then they are supported bu horrible horrible people.

In short: people are cunts, people involved at the highest level of sport exponentially so.

I'm new to this, so please reassure me that I'm not secretly supporting neo-nazis or something by being a Swans fan.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

No, just a team that tries to cheat it's way into landing players with big contracts. (Though this was partly Adelaide's fault)

e: The Swans tend to fly under the radar in all AFL matters.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 18, 2015

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Well, the Swans do have a player who was unjustly awarded Australian of the Year for bullying a girl who just wanted to call him a thing that was actually not racist at all, you see.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

JohnSherman posted:

I'm new to this, so please reassure me that I'm not secretly supporting neo-nazis or something by being a Swans fan.

The Swans have been owned in the past by supercunt Geoffrey Edelston. Also they cheat by using 'Cost Of Living' rules and free agency to 'steal' players from other clubs. Also Adam Goodes plays for them, which depending on how racist you are prepared to be, means that you are supporting literally worse than Pol Pot.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
What happened to Space Bird? Do you still post here, Crows friend?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Chairchucker posted:

Well, the Swans do have a player who was unjustly awarded Australian of the Year for bullying a girl who just wanted to call him a thing that was actually not racist at all, you see.

You almost had me there.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

There's a kid on the Geelong Falcon's list this year that's 200cm tall and 110 kilos. What the hell have they been feeding this kid?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The best case study is Chelsea FC - the supporters are largely racist to full on neo-nazi cunts, many of the players are cunts, the captain is a deadset oval office, the manager is a mega oval office, and the owner is a corrupt as all gently caress oval office. They're going to win the league this season :thumbsup:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Testekill posted:

There's a kid on the Geelong Falcon's list this year that's 200cm tall and 110 kilos. What the hell have they been feeding this kid?

Paleo diet works man.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TG-Chrono posted:

Paleo diet works man.

Raw milk for strong bones

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

TG-Chrono posted:

Paleo diet works man.

- Pete 'Babyfood' Evans

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Gj Malcom. :downs:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

TG-Chrono posted:

Gj Malcom. :downs:

SIEG HEIL

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Testekill posted:

I wonder how many 16-17 year olds are taking PED's. Do they get tested at all?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Periphery posted:

I wonder how many 16-17 year olds are taking PED's. Do they get tested at all?

Lots, and testing is pretty unlikely at the lower levels of the game. ASADA has their work cut out keeping up with testing the professional athletes, expecting them to collect piss from the juniors too is a bit much. Most people that can get you weed or other recreational drugs can generally source PEDs so they're not that hard to get your hands on, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if those kids that are at a 'ready to play' size when they're drafted did a few cycles of something in their junior years to get to a size that gets them noticed by recruiters.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Nutsngum posted:

You almost had me there.

On the other hand, everything I posted was more or less verbatim from actual things earnestly said by actual people.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

gay picnic defence posted:

Lots, and testing is pretty unlikely at the lower levels of the game. ASADA has their work cut out keeping up with testing the professional athletes, expecting them to collect piss from the juniors too is a bit much. Most people that can get you weed or other recreational drugs can generally source PEDs so they're not that hard to get your hands on, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if those kids that are at a 'ready to play' size when they're drafted did a few cycles of something in their junior years to get to a size that gets them noticed by recruiters.

That doesn't surprise me.

There was a rumor going around on bigfooty (so it's probably bullshit) that Reece McKenzie slipped so far in the draft last year was because he was taking PED's and the recruiters found out. You don't slip to pick 77 after having a very good year as a key forward without there being something majorly wrong.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Another chime in to let everyone know we're still only at 8 participants for ultimate footy and could use some more. It's not a hard game! If you fall off and go awol over the season, so be it, we don't mind.

Also are we merging the Supercoach leagues or what? Neither is full.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Periphery posted:

There was a rumor going around on bigfooty (so it's probably bullshit) that Reece McKenzie slipped so far in the draft last year was because he was taking PED's and the recruiters found out. You don't slip to pick 77 after having a very good year as a key forward without there being something majorly wrong.

Considering we were speculating taking him at pick 21/22 it was a fair fall from there. Still, Bigfooty is full of notorious wankers (including some in the Saints forum) who are not above slinging a lot of poo poo that wouldnt actually stick.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Heard it's a combination of being a tool and relying on his size in his draft year.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

These kids do realize they get a year or two to bulk up regardless right? Taking PED's to size up is just asking to ruin your potential career, what with all the poo poo that's been going on over the past decade regarding drug use in the AFL.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Periphery posted:

I'm sure there was something going on behind the scenes with that guy.

Diet Crack posted:

These kids do realize they get a year or two to bulk up regardless right? Taking PED's to size up is just asking to ruin your potential career, what with all the poo poo that's been going on over the past decade regarding drug use in the AFL.

It's pretty risk free for them as juniors. They might get tested for drugs in the TAC Cup, but I doubt it. But if they take them for a while as 16-17yo's they'd be able to get big enough to bully all the other kids on the park in a hurry and by the time they reach the AFL the stuff would have been well and truly out of the system and would not show up on any tests. The only way they'd get found out is if they or their dealer start bragging to their mates about it.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Still, is it worth the risk of possibly never playing in the AFL and carrying the label of cheat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Diet Crack posted:

Still, is it worth the risk of possibly never playing in the AFL and carrying the label of cheat?

Adolescents aren't necessarily known for their decision making ability, especially regarding long term effects.

• Locked thread