Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Getsuya posted:

Edit: Though if anyone can explain to me what the heck 不蝕金鎖 is supposed to mean I'd be in your debt. I mean I get that it's a made-up mafia or something or other for the game but I don't get where they're going with that title. 'Un-spoiled Golden Chain?' 'Un-hidden Golden Chain'? I guess it would sound cooler if I knew what it was supposed to mean.

Un/Non-Corroding Gold Chain? I haven't played the game in ages and my Japanese is terrible but I think there's another gang that has "rusty" in the name and they're rivals or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

TheCoon posted:

Un/Non-Corroding Gold Chain? I haven't played the game in ages and my Japanese is terrible but I think there's another gang that has "rusty" in the name and they're rivals or something.

Yeah, Wind of Corrosion. Both names seem silly and remarkably petty but then again having met the boss of one of them I guess that's par for the course. Anyway I'm liking this game more and more. I love VNs with main characters who actually have style and personality. Playing this kind of makes me want to pick up Oretachi ni Tsubasa ha Nai R next. Or Grisaia. I need more cool customer mains in my VNs.

V Bizarrely (though pretty common in kanji, unfortunately) the kanji has two completely unrelated meanings. One is eclipse and the other is having to do with corrosion or rot/decay. I wasn't sure if they were going for the eclipse or corrosion meaning myself until they introduce the rival gang and their name basically means 'wind corrosion' so I figured it had to be the corrosion meaning, which makes more sense for a golden chain anyway. Doesn't really matter though, kanji-salad BS organization names are like the bread and butter of Japanese fiction.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 15, 2015

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I know basically no kanji of any complexity, but my dictionary says 蝕 is "eclipsed" and imo "Uneclipsed Golden Chain" makes sense for a mafia name.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Luceid posted:

see, i only played 999 and while it was really really good i don't know if i can bring myself to play VLR knowing that it's going to leave me hanging out for a sequel that'll never happen. it's too much!!
I don't regret playing it at all. And while the ending is big sequel hook (one you will see coming a mile away anyway) the main plot that 99% of the game covers gets wrapped up just fine.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Getsuya posted:

Bizarrely (though pretty common in kanji, unfortunately) the kanji has two completely unrelated meanings. One is eclipse and the other is having to do with corrosion or rot/decay. I wasn't sure if they were going for the eclipse or corrosion meaning myself until they introduce the rival gang and their name basically means 'wind corrosion' so I figured it had to be the corrosion meaning, which makes more sense for a golden chain anyway. Doesn't really matter though, kanji-salad BS organization names are like the bread and butter of Japanese fiction.
I'm aware of the multiple reading thing. My dictionary seems, from past observation, to list meanings in the order they're most likely to be used in, in this case:

―meanings―
eclipse
occultation
be defective

Thats why i thought that'd be the most likely one for this too, since it actually makes sense in english. Then again i'm blindly guessing and maybe this is just another case of "japan likes puns/wordplay". :)

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

So all I see in this thread so far are good games. Lets change that :getin: (don't worry, still all ages. Well, T at least).

There is this one game that I really love, yet I have to admit is basically unplayable.

The game is Lux-Pain, for the Nintendo DS, localized by Ignition Entertainment in North America, and created by a company called Killaware (according to GameFAQs, their last game was released in 2009, so they might be out of business).

The story is pretty interesting. You play as Atsuki Saijo, a psychic who has been sent undercover as a high school student in Kisaragi City. He works for FORT, a secret government organization that is tasked with fighting Silent. These Silent are mind parasites, manipulating the host to do various things - some turn people into murderers, some turn people suicidal, etc. To fight them, Atsuki uses his psychic powers to read peoples thoughts, and force the Silent to reveal itself so he can kill it.

The mind reading parts are done by scratching at the DS's touch screen with the stylus to find worms (stray thoughts), and the Silent battles are also fought using the touch screen.

Seems all right so far right? So what's the problem?

Well, Killaware translated the game to English in house, but Ignition decided to keep that translation, despite having done their own translation of the game. This means that the game's text is so badly translated that it is almost unreadable. At least you can listen to the English voice acting, which, due to following Ignition's translation of the game, is completely different then the text.

Despite that, I still really like the game, but I could never recommend it to anybody.

Any thoughts?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I was checking the latest releases for Vita and realized that Irotoridori no Sekia comes out this week. I hadn`t heard much about it before I looked it up today, but apparently it`s pretty big both among Japanese and English-speaking VN fans. The reason to bring it up is I`m really liking the current trend on the Vita of getting compilations of VNs slapped together in one game.

So first we had Dangan Ronpa 1&2 together for cheaper than either of the games cost on PSP nowdays, and after that we`ve been getting one right after another of these compilations. Higurashi Sui (which consists of about 6-ish or more games, depending on how you count them), Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai (3 games), Irotoridori (2 games) and soon we`ll have Date a Live (2 games). Date a Live is especially impressive since that`s not a PC port, that`s 2 full PS3 VNs getting released as a single Vita title.

Also, with games like the Grisaia trilogy, the all-ages versions are consistently cheaper than the versions we don`t talk about.

What I`m saying is the Vita is a great value for VN fans.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

How many of those games/series you listed available on the Vita in English?

Edit: excluding daganronpa, I know they're available in English.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Griasia is coming out in english but I don't know about the Vita version. It's also ridiculously long.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Griasia is coming out in english but I don't know about the Vita version. It's also ridiculously long.

Long is fine if I can get into it. Only thing I could find was references to a patch for the English version on PC.

I guess I should have stuck it out with my Japanese study. :(

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
I was recently gifted a copy of Steins;Gate, and I completed it only a few weeks ago. It is an experience I will probably never forget.

I also was recently gifted a copy of this all-ages VN called Shan Gui. If anyone's gone through it, can they tell me anything about it before I boot it up? Cheers.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

darth cookie posted:

How many of those games/series you listed available on the Vita in English?

Edit: excluding daganronpa, I know they're available in English.

None of them, sorry. And especially sad is that most of these have at least partial English patches but only for the icky versions. If you want to keep studying Japanese, though, all-ages VNs are a great source for listening and reading practice.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

BlazeEmblem posted:

So all I see in this thread so far are good games. Lets change that :getin: (don't worry, still all ages. Well, T at least).

There is this one game that I really love, yet I have to admit is basically unplayable.

The game is Lux-Pain, for the Nintendo DS, localized by Ignition Entertainment in North America, and created by a company called Killaware (according to GameFAQs, their last game was released in 2009, so they might be out of business).

The story is pretty interesting. You play as Atsuki Saijo, a psychic who has been sent undercover as a high school student in Kisaragi City. He works for FORT, a secret government organization that is tasked with fighting Silent. These Silent are mind parasites, manipulating the host to do various things - some turn people into murderers, some turn people suicidal, etc. To fight them, Atsuki uses his psychic powers to read peoples thoughts, and force the Silent to reveal itself so he can kill it.

The mind reading parts are done by scratching at the DS's touch screen with the stylus to find worms (stray thoughts), and the Silent battles are also fought using the touch screen.

Seems all right so far right? So what's the problem?

Well, Killaware translated the game to English in house, but Ignition decided to keep that translation, despite having done their own translation of the game. This means that the game's text is so badly translated that it is almost unreadable. At least you can listen to the English voice acting, which, due to following Ignition's translation of the game, is completely different then the text.

Despite that, I still really like the game, but I could never recommend it to anybody.

Any thoughts?

Lux Pain is a really awesome game with a really slow burn story. The pay-off is worth it, you slowly see the city change as the SILENT infestation gets worse. And even a few totally annoying characters are vindicated in their existence. I was surprised how much I came to care about some of the characters (I guess digging through their personal thoughts does that). The Shinen aspect was neatly woven into the story, even if its gameplay implementation was...questionable. Though when it worked, holy poo poo did it work :stare:

HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME
I...DON'T...WANT...TO...DIE...
You're all trash! I am God! I decide if you live!
HE HURTS US
The...cut...is...rotting...
(and that's from the loving intro!)

And a short while later,

I
Will
Poison
Them

The bad part are the villains. One can potentially be killed off-screen and the other is an almost nobody.

The bad bad part is the translation, as you said. Hooooooly poo poo. Misspelled names, mistyped pronouns (expect 'he' and 'she' to be mixed up constantly), misspelled words, the list just goes on.

I guess a good way of putting it is that your enjoyment of Lux Pain will depend on how much you can put up with its translation and its sorta janky gameplay.

EDIT: A few more thoughts well up. They had the ridiculous idea to change the setting to loving America while still leaving names like Atsuki Saijo and Kisaragi High School. They also had some bullshit optional collectibles which unlocked chapters of a weird-rear end dating sim side story?
Oh and there was that Emotion system. I got the best ending and I never did figure it out completely.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 17, 2015

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Lux Pain always sounded really interesting to me, shame about the garbage translation. I remember people posting some snippets of the bad and there's just no way i'd be able to deal with playing the game in that state.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Slur posted:

I also was recently gifted a copy of this all-ages VN called Shan Gui. If anyone's gone through it, can they tell me anything about it before I boot it up? Cheers.

It's a kinetic novel (no branching paths, just one storyline), and it's very short so I don't know if there's really that much to tell without spoiling it. At its core it's just an atmospheric little story about a girl making a friend. Might as well experience it for yourself if you're interested -- it'll only take like an hour out of your life.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

SSNeoman posted:

They also had some bullshit optional collectibles which unlocked chapters of a weird-rear end dating sim side story?
Oh and there was that Emotion system. I got the best ending and I never did figure it out completely.

The dating sim stuff was a large part of the archives, but the archives also included small scenes that were not shown in the game, like some backstory stuff. It also included Atsuki's birthday party.

As for the emotion system :shrug:.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

So if I want to play the optimal Steins;Gate what version of it should I be playing?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

So if I want to play the optimal Steins;Gate what version of it should I be playing?

There's no differences between the PC version and the upcoming Vita or PS3 versions so get it on the platform you're comfortable with.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Talking about the PS3/V version of Steins;gate, pQube's announced a release month (May) and that they're doing a special edition via their store. Regular physical editions will probably be rolling out on EU stores soon.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Volt Catfish posted:

JAST's translation, no contest.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Delusibeta posted:

Talking about the PS3/V version of Steins;gate, pQube's announced a release month (May) and that they're doing a special edition via their store. Regular physical editions will probably be rolling out on EU stores soon.

No word of a physical edition in the US, right? I wouldn't care much, except for the Vita memory sticks being so expensive.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The first review for Irotoridori no Sekia on Vita (a VN that is very firmly on my `must buy` list) gave it one star because the reviewer has a severe milk allergy and in one of the scenes one of the characters drinks some milk so that ruined the game for him.

amazon.co.jp.txt

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I've only got 2 good endings and 2 bad endings, but so far Never7 is a far better game than Remember11 because at least it has endings and a coherent plot

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Seems Chaos;Child is getting PS3, PS4 and Vita ports as well as an anime adaption.
Steins;Gate is also getting a sequel VN set on the beta world timeline called Steins;Gate 0.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Anonymous;Code just got announced too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Anonymous;Code just got announced too.

quote:

Anonymous;Code takes place in the year 2037 in Tokyo’s Nakano district. Poron has an ability called “loop,” that allows him to save and load real life moments. The story begins a year prior in February 2036, when an important place in Tokyo is destroyed after computers go out of control.

An even larger catastrophe is predicted to occur in 2038, so the supercomputer Gaia is used to create an alternate Earth using a simulation program to attempt to understand its effects. However, it isn’t until the “Arecibo Message” is introduced to the simulation that humanity comes into existence on this alternate Earth.

Then, the humans in the simulation create their own Earth Simulator, which causes those in the real world to question their own existence, as there is now the possibility that they, too, are the result of a simulation program.
Starting to believe more and more that Steins;Gate was a complete fluke by that company.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pretty much.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Seems Chaos;Child is getting PS3, PS4 and Vita ports as well as an anime adaption.
Steins;Gate is also getting a sequel VN set on the beta world timeline called Steins;Gate 0.

Sweet. They also have a dual pack with Chaos;Head and Chaos;Head Noah so now Vita owners can have the full trilogy. I've heard the games are much better than the anime, which was apparently pretty bad, thoughts?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I only read about half of Chaos;head but it was interesting. It apparently nosedives hard towards the end though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Meanwhile, Uchikoshi is tweeting mysterious letters that may or may not be hex.

And 4infinity.co updated. So maybe it won't take 300 days to reveal what it is after all.

e: apparently they are ciphers that translate to "We are all men of our word" and "THE LONGEST NIGHT WILL HAVE AN END."

Not 100% sure? checking...

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 1, 2015

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I only read about half of Chaos;head but it was interesting. It apparently nosedives hard towards the end though.

Eh, I'll probably just ignore them for now then. There are enough amazing VNs on the Vita that I don't have to bother with the just decent ones for a while.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Chaos;Head's pretty good as far as VNs go. People criticize the last chapter because the pacing for Takumi to actually stop being a useless piece of poo poo is a bit sudden but I also strangely found it rather refreshing too after putting up with the entire game of him being pathetic.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
While I definitely did not care for the direction they took the MC in the final chapter, I think my larger complaint is really that it feels like a completely different genre. The first 90% of C;H is horror/mystery while the last chapter is closer to DBZ.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Uh-oh. Pathetic mains are kind of my pet peeve in VNs so I might avoid it for the time being. I have quite a nice backlog of good stuff to go through so I don't mind pushing it down a few rungs on my wishlist. Right now I just finished the first route of Aiyoku no Eustia (the all-ages Vita version) and it was pretty amazing. Caim is an awesome, strong main character so I really want to continue reading stuff with guys like him. I know Grisaia has a pretty good lead so that's next on my list (after Higurashi, of course) and then after that I was thinking of dabbling into the Dies Irae/Kajiri Kamui Kagura series if I can handle the Japanese levels in those ones. I've heard they're nightmarishly hard to read.

Edit: I was a little leery about trying my skill against these legendarily hard to read games until I saw the opening for KKK and become convinced that I needed to read this ASAP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLtf-1qnDY4

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 1, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I wouldn't say that. The main villains still use psychological attacks and the description of the impalement scene in particular made me uncomfortable to read. It definitely felt rushed though, like they had to tie up all of the loose ends at once one after the other without giving you time to digest what happened.

EDIT: ^^^ Yeah the main character of Chaos;Head truly is a piece of poo poo but you're not meant to sympathize with him given that he's an otaku who only does the bare minimum attendance for school and his delusions tend to be either disgustingly perverse or horrifically violent.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 1, 2015

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
https://07th-expansion.net/

The 07th Expansion homepage now hosts a teaser image of a new work. It was believed to be fake since it came out on April 1st, but then everyone remembered that April 1st is actually a fairly normal day to announce new VNs (since it is the beginning of the new fiscal year in Japan).

Anyway the name of the new project is Trianthology, and it will be a cooperative effort from the Rewrite trio (Romeo Tanaka, Yuto Tonokawa, Ryuukishi07). The tagline for it is 'When three worlds become one, Alice will awaken' which, to me, suggests it might be structured so that there are three different worlds/stories being headed by the three different writers that will intersect as the crux of the story.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It would be nice to like something by Ryukishi07 again given how boring Rose Guns Days was. Though it would've be nice I guess if he had kept the character designer from it given whatever the hell that girl is supposed to be in the teaser image.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I wonder when he'll produce the next installment of When They Cry, but I guess that's probably just what everybody wants him to do.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

It would be nice to like something by Ryukishi07 again given how boring Rose Guns Days was. Though it would've be nice I guess if he had kept the character designer from it given whatever the hell that girl is supposed to be in the teaser image.

Oh I don't know, I think 07's drawings lend an endearing quality to his works. It's like watching a psychological thriller populated entirely by characters from an educational children's cartoon you would find on a public broadcasting channel.

Though honestly I hope this becomes at least popular enough to nab a console release with actual artists working on it.

As long as they get some music by dai I think I'll be willing to forgive a lot of things about the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I just found out the latest entry in Liarsoft's Steampunk series (Gahkthun of the Golden Lightning) is being localized, which is nice since I have a soft spot for the series. Does anyone know anything about Mangagamer before I get my hopes up? Are they that one company that's notorious for having series end up in development hell or is that another one.