Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

willus posted:

there's a lot of angry posting so here is a (probably reposted) page of rockslide talking to a giant monster that protects the gem that gives the juggernaut his power (I think)

from Amazing Xmen 16

To reiterate what someone pointed out the last time this was posted, it's even more awesome that in the last panel, the Cyttorak monster is smiling along with Rockslide. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
That monster's teeth make no sense.

Kay says about the red dragon from the red dimension who is chatting to the teenager made of rocks.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Rockslide deserves to be the juggernaut more than anyone else who has ever existed in any form of media.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Then put him as the new Hero for Hire.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

prefect posted:

To reiterate what someone pointed out the last time this was posted, it's even more awesome that in the last panel, the Cyttorak monster is smiling along with Rockslide. :3:

Oh good, I was worried I was just imagining it :allears:

Hey Rockslide, you remember how comics are supposed to be fun and enjoyable? I barely know you except from this thread but I know you got things right.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

prefect posted:

Well of COURSE he admires the kid's stones.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Uthor posted:

They're low res and I don't see a super clear shot of it, but here.

Why does her armor have wings when she can already fly?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Style.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Same reason she needs the invisible plane, maybe? Magic armour wings might give her a boost.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Baron Bifford posted:

ignore this

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

Rockslide deserves to be the juggernaut more than anyone else who has ever existed in any form of media.

It'd be one of the better upgrades they could give him.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Baron Bifford posted:

I didn't include the image, but when she and Batman fight and fly up into the sky (where they see the bomber planes), she has them extended like a glider. It's a nice contrast to Batman's black wings, so I guess that's the reason?

I'm pretty sure she does fly around without that armor or wings elsewhere in the series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I keep forgetting Wonder Woman can fly. I guess it's the lack of a cape.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I keep forgetting Wonder Woman can fly. I guess it's the lack of a cape.

If only she had wings that would remind you.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The wings were Hawkgirl's. Then there was the incident. Now they're Wonder Woman's.

No one is stupid enough to bring it up.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Her armor has wings because it's an eagle motif and they open when she flies because magic is all about mad stylin'.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
She has an invisible plane even though she can fly and unbreakable bracers even though she's bulletproof.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

She has an invisible plane even though she can fly and unbreakable bracers even though she's bulletproof.

The bracelets are power limiters, though, because that's, like, DEEP, man.

(My favourite moment with them is actually in JLU where Diana uses them to block a lightning bolt from Weather Wizard and Wally's just like "There's SO many reasons that shouldn't work!")

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

People who are into anime keep assuring me power limiters are a very cool concept, but I've yet to be convinced they're not really dumb.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

People who are into anime keep assuring me power limiters are a very cool concept, but I've yet to be convinced they're not really dumb.

When Shadow The Hedgehog removed his, it's like, a symbol of black culture throwing off the oppression of white people appropriating their signifiers, man, it's the greatest statement made in the history of ART.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Baron Bifford posted:

To be fair, the invisible plane is a holdover from the time when she *couldn't* fly, and the bracers work against stuff like lasers and energy beams. I'd imagine if Superman ever tried to punch her, if she blocked with those 'magic' bracers she'd have an even-money chance of breaking something in his hand, too.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Remind me to never buy any electronics designed by you.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

"Why don't you just make ten louder, and make ten the top number?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kellsterik posted:

"Why don't you just make ten louder, and make ten the top number?"

...I just realised I don't know where my Spinal Tap blu-ray is. drat you.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Baron Bifford posted:

I have a car even though I can walk. Maybe WW just doesn't want to soar through the sky with all of her grocery bags in her arms.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes you just feel like power squatting through the sky. Don't kinkshame.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

To be fair, the invisible plane is a holdover from the time when she *couldn't* fly, and the bracers work against stuff like lasers and energy beams. I'd imagine if Superman ever tried to punch her, if she blocked with those 'magic' bracers she'd have an even-money chance of breaking something in his hand, too.
And I bet the bracers are from a time when WW was not bulletproof.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaz-L posted:

(My favourite moment with them is actually in JLU where Diana uses them to block a lightning bolt from Weather Wizard and Wally's just like "There's SO many reasons that shouldn't work!")

Wally: That is straight up some bullshit, Diana. Flash fact. :colbert:

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Lurdiak posted:

How do you feel about super heavy weights for training?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Soylentbits posted:

Hyperbolic time chamberrrrr.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

Well as we all know Superman doesn't in any way believe he should hold back his strength.

Part of the concept is it can be a dramatic way for a character to be shown stepping up their game in a fight.

The other part can be the artistic message that the hero understands that true strength comes not from lashing out, but from holding back. That control, discipline and calmness are virtues and to win with such a handicap only makes you even more powerful.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Soylentbits posted:

Ever since I saw that one Dragonball episode I walk around with super-heavy weights on arms and legs, because obviously that'll make me super strong and fast when I take them off.

I anticipate that my joints will have to be replaced before I'm 40. All of them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Grendels Dad posted:

Ever since I saw that one Dragonball episode I walk around with super-heavy weights on arms and legs, because obviously that'll make me super strong and fast when I take them off.

I anticipate that my joints will have to be replaced before I'm 40. All of them.

My understanding that this is a relatively straightforward process anyway v:shobon:v

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Question IRL posted:

The other part can be the artistic message that the hero understands that true strength comes not from lashing out, but from holding back. That control, discipline and calmness are virtues and to win with such a handicap only makes you even more powerful.

One of the most interesting parts, and one of the only *unique* parts of the Irredeemable book was that the main superhero-turned-psychopath had powers he didn't even know about.

From the Wiki page:

The Plutonian's powers are not physical but psionic, enabling him to subconsciously manipulate matter on an atomic level: allowing him to heat or freeze the air, see through objects, fly, render himself virtually indestructible, possess super strength and heightened senses, and make opponents more susceptible to damage. Modeus (the Lex Luthor analog in the book) hypothesizes that if the Plutonian is made aware of his true abilities he would be able to alter probability, see through time and reverse entropy, concluding "and that's just if he moves from Kindergarten to grade school."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The idea that Wonder Woman is now a demigod puts me off the character a bit, but the premise of her consciously rejecting that side of herself by literally shackling her godlike powers feels very true to the character. I feel like Wonder Woman would rather walk among mortals than wield that kind of power. Superman doesn't need to be Clark Kent, he doesn't need to 'pass' for one of us, but he chooses to. These are inhuman characters who love humanity. I mean this is comic books so I'm sure they just get used as "ohh poo poo it's on now" plot devices but on paper it's a pretty cool thematic concept.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
No to Godwin this conversation, but:

I Killed Adolf Hitler by Jason

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Question IRL posted:

It's not really control, discipline and calmness if you have to use some external object to apply limits to yourself. That's kind of the opposite really, like saying that you don't trust yourself to hold back when you should.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Uthor posted:

No to Godwin this conversation, but:

I Killed Adolf Hitler by Jason

It's funnier like this:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tiggum posted:

It's not really control, discipline and calmness if you have to use some external object to apply limits to yourself. That's kind of the opposite really, like saying that you don't trust yourself to hold back when you should.

Sure it is. The arm bands may reduce her power, but she is the person who made the choice to put them on every day
Every time she is punched, she makes the decision to take on her foe at a reduced power set rather than take off the bracelets and resort to the nuclear option.

It's just a slightly different type of discipline is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Loki #12