Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Deadeye is hard and scary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ff.jpg

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dem HD graffx

(yes yes I know, but still, they could have spent five minutes on a new ground texture for the overworld)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eej posted:

Don't worry, you won't be able to fully customize your party until after you've beaten the game because the experience requirements to unlock the "off-classes" of each party member are insane. Also you may or may not bang your head in frustration at boss fights because you did not stumble upon the Developer Approved party setup that they wanted you to use for a given fight.

It isn't even that unlocking character's off-roles has a huge experience requirement. If I remember right, you literally can't level them until you've beaten the final boss. They're explicitly post-game things. I remember being pretty annoyed by that at the time, though the game did get more fun in the post-game.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Magitek Soldiers are loving huge confirmed

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've always said that by the time you're fighting the likes of Vercingetorix, FFXIII has a rather involving battle system that requires you to know what you're doing and what to do to survive certain situations, along with Paradigm Switching often to play optimally. It's legitimately quite fun to fight that thing.

The problem with that is that Vercingetorix is the ultimate boss and 0.1% of the fights in the game being fun isn't acceptable, it should be the other 99.9% which are fun.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Harrow posted:

It isn't even that unlocking character's off-roles has a huge experience requirement. If I remember right, you literally can't level them until you've beaten the final boss. They're explicitly post-game things. I remember being pretty annoyed by that at the time, though the game did get more fun in the post-game.

You can start as soon as Chapter 10, but that's the point where a regular node will run you 740 CP and an optional one goes for 3000, getting more expensive with every tier and doubled for abilities. The only ones worth getting are Ruin for Hope (it is literally his first commando node), Bravery/Faith for Lightning (her first two abilities), and dabbling in ravager for Fang. Everything else isn't even remotely viable unless you put in time grinding on Pulse or Orphan's Cradle.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Eej posted:

Don't worry, you won't be able to fully customize your party until after you've beaten the game because the experience requirements to unlock the "off-classes" of each party member are insane. Also you may or may not bang your head in frustration at boss fights because you did not stumble upon the Developer Approved party setup that they wanted you to use for a given fight.

The developer approved party setup part is patently untrue, and you do not need to unlock any off classes to beat the game at all.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Seems like Squeenix hosed up their PR,, apparently the Free theatryhm tracks are Struggle to the Death and Devil Lord Confrontation II.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Thankfully I have just enough in my eshop wallet to get the 6 paid tracks no matter which they are.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Artix posted:

You can start as soon as Chapter 10, but that's the point where a regular node will run you 740 CP and an optional one goes for 3000, getting more expensive with every tier and doubled for abilities. The only ones worth getting are Ruin for Hope (it is literally his first commando node), Bravery/Faith for Lightning (her first two abilities), and dabbling in ravager for Fang. Everything else isn't even remotely viable unless you put in time grinding on Pulse or Orphan's Cradle.

Oh, then I misremembered. But yeah, those CP requirements are nasty.

I wonder why I remembered unlocking their off-roles after the final boss. I think maybe I'm actually remembering that there's another Crystarium unlock after that, but that's just to get to the absolute max Crystarium levels, isn't it?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

Oh, then I misremembered. But yeah, those CP requirements are nasty.

I wonder why I remembered unlocking their off-roles after the final boss. I think maybe I'm actually remembering that there's another Crystarium unlock after that, but that's just to get to the absolute max Crystarium levels, isn't it?

Yeah, it's just extra crystarium for the post game hunts. You probably didn't bother with them because before the post-game you don't really need to branch into the extra roles, nothing really requires anything more than what any given 3 person team can provide.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm pretty much loving Type-0 and the XV demo myself.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So any speculation on who the voice cast is? I almost wanna say it's the usual suspects of Steve Blum, Troy Baker, and Gideon Emery doing a deeper Balthier, but who knows.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

How does Episode Duscae combat compare to Kingdom Hearts, if NewGame+ dancing with the Behemoth in the field isn't more Dark Souls than Final Fantasy in combat and gameplay in the best of stamina-management animation-priority ways?

It's not even comparable. I'd say that the best ARPG battle system by far is KH2, and the system in the demo doesn't even come close to that. Basically in KH2 you always had tons of things you could be doing and they all melded seamlessly together. I'd reserve judgement, though, because if you were to compare the first couple of hours of KH2's combat to the combat in Episode Duscae it would be a lot more fair of a comparison.

But I don't really think that the combat needs to be excellent. I mean Final Fantasy never had the best RPG combat, even back in the old days. The highest it's ever gotten was probably FFV's job system. It doesn't have to be deep, just fun, and it has to have a certain level of RPG mechanics.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm pretty much loving Type-0 and the XV demo myself.

Type-0 is a pretty cool game. I'm just in the beginning, though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If there are any crazy people in here who bought Type-0 but don't want the demo download code, feel free to give it to me for nothing in return.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mischitary posted:

It's not even comparable. I'd say that the best ARPG battle system by far is KH2, and the system in the demo doesn't even come close to that.

GOOD! KH2 isn't even a good Kingdom hearts game.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Type-0 is janky as poo poo with amazing HD upgraded textures for 40% of the game. If I bought this without the FF15 demo I would probably be mad about it. I really do like the History channel like cinemas though.

FF15 and it's boring rear end combat system with instagram filter graphics needs to go back in the game development oven some more.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mischitary posted:

. I mean Final Fantasy never had the best RPG combat, even back in the old days.

You didn't play Lightning Returns, I see.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mischitary posted:

if you were to compare the first couple of hours of KH2's combat to the combat in Episode Duscae it would be a lot more fair of a comparison.

It doesn't play anything like Kingdom Hearts. Not even the first couple of hours of KH2.

KH is literally a game designed around your twitch combat skills. It has a gameplay mode where you don't gain experience points. The core combat system is 100% designed around your twitch combat skills with levels allowing you to survive an extra (x) number of hits or do an amount of extra damage. It isn't a high-difficulty game but it's way more on the action model than the RPG model.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

GOOD! KH2 isn't even a good Kingdom hearts game.

What? Dream Drop Distance isn't a good kingdom hearts game, but KH2 is awesome, I mean its on the easy side of things but its a great game with varied combat styles and a multitude of colorful worlds and bosses.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Judging from the videos I've seen FFXV's combat seems like a much more fleshed-out Crisis Core

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Madmarker posted:

What? Dream Drop Distance isn't a good kingdom hearts game, but KH2 is awesome, I mean its on the easy side of things but its a great game with varied combat styles and a multitude of colorful worlds and bosses.

KH2 is literally the worst non-Card game combat wise. Like minus the timer thing 3D has really fun gameplay and you can zip around really fast and punch men really well. KH2 takes what 1 did and adds in two features that just make it easier without making anything more fun.

Seriously, go play BBS if you think KH2 was a good or fun game. You'll poo poo your pants it's so fun.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It seems really dumb to try to compare the combat in XV to anything. The combat in XV is like XV, it's own thing.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
While not the best looking HD upgrade of a PSP game, but I am really enjoying Type-0. Trying to avoid spoilers, but can you recruit additional party members, because I found out the tonberry you can see in the classroom is playable later and curious who else you can get to join.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Augus posted:

Judging from the videos I've seen FFXV's combat seems like a much more fleshed-out Crisis Core

Kindasorta yea.

I'm not gonna say the system is perfect, without unlocking more 'techniques' it's kinda hard to judge it either way, for all I know this just feels kinda dull because you start at like level 4 and seem to be unable to learn new skills in the demo, but I think it has a core of neat mechanics to it. Then again I'm a big dumb jerk who likes all three XIII games a lot so I'm some kinda FF retard apparently.

What really makes me like the demo, though, is just the world itself. I am insanely curious how 'deep' this poo poo goes. Like, when I got to an RV park that seems to serve as this game's chocobo stable I was 100% behind this hosed up modern world/FF world hybrid. You don't exactly have a deep look at the characters in a demo but I liked what I saw, aside from the dude who painfully looked exactly like a shittier Cloud I never really rolled my eyes at anything.

Basically for me the demo did what demos are meant to do, it got me pretty excited for a game I was already curious about.

Also Type-0 is really fun. Like yea, I probably should have waited for a sale, and if the demo wasn't part of it I would have, but this is a pretty solid game that I don't really feel screwed over paying full price for. Ideal world, yea, knock a couple tens off the price and it's a more reasonable number, but I'm having fun and getting my money's worth anyway.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
we'll be back... but next time not to get our car repaired *WINK*

oh just bring her in and i'll tune her up aaaanytime *WIIIIINK*

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

She should be a party member, I don't care about boring guys.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The ff15 cast is good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Cindy seriously feels like she walked out of a bad Cinimax film.

... is Cinimax even still a thing?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Tatum Girlparts posted:

What really makes me like the demo, though, is just the world itself. I am insanely curious how 'deep' this poo poo goes. Like, when I got to an RV park that seems to serve as this game's chocobo stable I was 100% behind this hosed up modern world/FF world hybrid. You don't exactly have a deep look at the characters in a demo but I liked what I saw, aside from the dude who painfully looked exactly like a shittier Cloud I never really rolled my eyes at anything

Nomura is bringing us to the next gen by not having one person modeled off Gackt, but two.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I thought Cindy was supposed to be Cidney, did they change it again?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

I thought Cindy was supposed to be Cidney, did they change it again?

I think they decided to not try to translate the goofy pun. Her name is literally Cidney/Sidney in the Japanese version. (Written using the same characters as Cid even.) They jusy decided to make it Cindy in translation. (I'm not sure why since Sidney is a girl's name and still conveys the joke.)

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

Cindy seriously feels like she walked out of a bad Cinimax film.

... is Cinimax even still a thing?

Cinimax is still a thing but I think they are trying to move on from their "Skinimax" image to compete with HBO and Showtime with original series. But yeah, Cindy is basically ripped right out of those silly after-dark specials.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

She should be a party member, I don't care about boring guys.

Play FFX-2

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008

bloodychill posted:

I really actually hope it means you can upgrade your car using glitter and pink paint.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ObesePriest posted:

I really actually hope it means you can upgrade your car using glitter and pink paint.

That would be the best and most optimistic possible interpretation of that interaction.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I did, like twice.

I should really finish Lightning Returns.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Eej posted:

Nomura is bringing us to the next gen by not having one person modeled off Gackt, but two.

Look if FFXV-2 or whatever introduces a whole cast of Gackt I'm buying it the day it's announced.

Final Fantasy: It's basically all Gackt and Robots At This Point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Hour and a half into Type-0 on Officer mode (whoa) it feels like scrapped port-leftovers finished up in 1080p for current-gen. Happy to finally get to play it (and legally and all).

Then I had to stop and take a break and gather my senses because that camera got me like I'm drunk. Dear god.