Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Mange Mite posted:

i dont think thats how it works

Starfleet says let them suffocate.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Homeward_%28episode%29

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Voyager was the death knell for episodic sci-fi.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Shadow posted:

Voyager is worth it only because of the doctor and 7 of 9.

For whatever reason the writers were TERRIBLE but did excellent at writing for those two characters.

They're also the best actors on the series. By a large margin.

Edit: in fact maybe a Google search will result in a list of episode that focus on those two. Watch that list.

actually its because the show producers had a standing ban on character conflict or drama for all the main cast. those two were exempted because they werent human or something idk

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
star trek tng is on tv I'm watching it right now

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mange Mite posted:

actually its because the show producers had a standing ban on character conflict or drama for all the main cast. those two were exempted because they werent human or something idk

They ain't joking. Voyager was what happens when you get way too stuck in your ways in spite of literally every common sense instinct.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

Interesting storylines for destitute crew members on a ship lost "at space"?

gently caress. That.

Janeway: "Like a toaster in a bathtub."
Any Character: "Captain?"

God. loving. Damnit. They used that writing "technique" like every 30 seconds. I hope the writers of Voyager are unemployed and living in a gutter. Except those who wrote for the Doctor.

His lines were art.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Volcott posted:

Year of Hell being a season long and not getting reset at the end would have made Voyager better.

They did this, it's called Battlestar Galactica.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Entropic posted:

They did this, it's called Battlestar Galactica.

We've discussed this, the entire series is ruined forever because of the finale.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXZZeHkL29c

If TNG were on today, those chicks would have more booty.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

in another 10 years goons will like BSG.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I loved BSG. But yeah, that finale was a huge let down.

Someone said it but it's the Lost effect. Packing on the mysteries is cute and all but you need to have a direction for their resolution. If you just hand wave "we'll figure it out later" you're a piece of poo poo.

A piece of poo poo, I say.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

the last episode was crap but it was fantastic up until then so i can deal with it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I think that drat finale colored a lot of people's opinions of the show more negatively than is fair; it's a pretty good show

but to be fair, it was a really lovely finale

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I pretend most of the finale didn't exist. Cognitive dissonance can do wonders for people's opinions on stuff.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

voyager started out looking like it had potential cause they would have to do things like ration their torpedoes cause there's no way to get more. but then they were like gently caress that and just had more anyway

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Voyager would make a good roguelike game in the vein of FTL

BSG on the other hand is good for nothing and should be forgotten immediately

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Bring back space: above & beyond

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

dMastri posted:

BSG on the other hand is good for nothing and should be forgotten immediately

the board game is actually dope as hell

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I really dug the poo poo out of BSG until about the beginning of Season Three when I realized the writers had absolutely no plan and were just doing whatever was most likely to shock viewers from episode to episode. I dropped it then never looked back, which is a pity as the miniseries and 33 are loving AAA pieces of television.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nefarious posted:

the board game is actually dope as hell

this is true

AIRLOCK!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Parallax Scroll posted:

voyager started out looking like it had potential cause they would have to do things like ration their torpedoes cause there's no way to get more. but then they were like gently caress that and just had more anyway

The show has what I call my "Gilligan's Island Issue". The main plot is that they can't get home for 70 years. So any episode that deals with them having the chance to warp home, you know it won't happen because you are 12 episodes in to a 22 episode season.

Gilligan can't leave the island of the series is over

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

I really dug the poo poo out of BSG until about the beginning of Season Three when I realized the writers had absolutely no plan and were just doing whatever was most likely to shock viewers from episode to episode. I dropped it then never looked back, which is a pity as the miniseries and 33 are loving AAA pieces of television.

I saw the miniseries and thought, "wow, pretty cool concept."

Then I saw 33 and I was blown away. loving brilliant show.

Bonzo posted:

The show has what I call my "Gilligan's Island Issue". The main plot is that they can't get home for 70 years. So any episode that deals with them having the chance to warp home, you know it won't happen because you are 12 episodes in to a 22 episode season.

Gilligan can't leave the island of the series is over

Gilligan's an rear end in a top hat.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Bonzo posted:

Hello Captain Janeway. We know you lost an expensive, experimental ship. We know you enlisted terrorists and criminals as your crew. You violated more Starfleet regulations than we care to mention but congratulations, you're an Admiral now.

Which, given the history of Admirals in Starfleet, kinda makes sense.

They had to give everyone big promotions, sometimes two steps, because they were gone for 7 years.

Just ignore the fact that people like Riker have been at their original rank for 15.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

They would've been home in half a season if they put Gilligan in a cage.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Kuato posted:

I pretend most of the finale didn't exist. Cognitive dissonance can do wonders for people's opinions on stuff.

Funny enough, this is how I handle the last Star Trek TNG movie. Nemesis was the worst Star Trek movie by a long shot.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wait, are any of the TNG movies all that great?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

It was literally a fanfic. That's a pretty good reason to ignore it.

E: First Contact was legit.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
First Contact was good and fun, even if the story itself was pretty braindead and Picard isnt acting in character.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

ChickenRiceNPeas posted:

Funny enough, this is how I handle the last Star Trek TNG movie. Nemesis was the worst Star Trek movie by a long shot.
not that long - all the tng movies were garbage

i guess first contact least of all but that's not saying much

really just the dying gasps of some really terrible producers

but if you ask berman & co they will tell you their tenure at the helm of trek was an amazing journey where they made no mistakes.

gently caress you rick.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Wait, are any of the TNG movies all that great?

Most of them rate below average, I liked "Generations" the most, thought it was a cut above the others.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Kirk said he would die alone and he didn't and also a bridge killed him so what part of that was good or true to lore

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

so how come people say the first 2 or 3 seasons of this show are trash

i watched like an ep or two of season 1 and it was so bad i have a hard time the show ever gets good

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Vorik posted:

so how come people say the first 2 or 3 seasons of this show are trash

i watched like an ep or two of season 1 and it was so bad i have a hard time the show ever gets good

It gets good. Start at S3 and don't look back. The last few episodes as each character's "arc" is wrapping up are kind of dumb though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
1 and 2 are v questionable unless you enjoy watching bad and awkward scifi

there are sprinklings of it further on but the overall quality really does noticeably improve after S2

What did they do different after S2 in terms of writing/production, anything?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Is there a list of important TNG season 1 and 2 episodes? All I can think of is the Q parts of Encounter at Farpoint, Q Who, and Measure of a Man.

Monkey Fracas posted:

1 and 2 are v questionable unless you enjoy watching bad and awkward scifi

there are sprinklings of it further on but the overall quality really does noticeably improve after S2

What did they do different after S2 in terms of writing/production, anything?

I think a new producer arrived and said "this show is now more about the characters and less about space adventures. Go!"

Edit: While Seasons 1 and 2 generally sucked, they really seemed to be much better than the good seasons in terms of cinematography and music.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 18, 2015

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

don't remember specific episodes but any where pulaski got a scene with data were aight

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Parallax Scroll posted:

don't remember specific episodes but any where pulaski got a scene with data were aight

Pulaski: "Hey everyone look at the albino retard sitting at ops!"
Picard: "Doctor, Mr Data is an important member of my crew! Please do not try to hurt his feelings!"
Data: "I like trains!"

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 252 days!)

whole bunch of nerdcare itt

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
^^ how about you go gently caress off some place and die human being

Oh, right. I guess watch any episode with Q or the Traveler from the first 2 seasons. You can skip the rest.

Hell you can skip the Traveler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Parallax Scroll posted:

I don't honestly know why everyone seems to hate pulaski

better than fuckin Troi, christ

• Locked thread