Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Progressive JPEG posted:

why does the lovely updater in fedora always insist on rebooting the whole machine, twice, to install any updates?

who cares

if it's a desktop machine, you're either not running linux or you don't care about the mechanics, just that it finishes and works

if it's a server, you're not rebooting it to install updates, you're provisioning an updated machine and then disposing of the old one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suspicious Dish posted:

Updates cannot be applied to a live system safely. the traditional update is really stupid and dumb and bad and you can run into many race conditions (and do run into many race conditions) but most people put up with it. I can give specific examples if you want.

So we reboot, put your system in a special update mode, and then reboot again, and that's the only way to make it truly safe in the package manager land. Sandboxing apps will help with a lot of this so we can be more sure about OS updates.

so we should look forward to servers needing to be rebooted in order to install an openssl security update?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

so we should look forward to servers needing to be rebooted in order to install an openssl security update?

this is through the gui updater. why would you have a gui on a server?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

Rebuilt, not just rebooted. Either way's fair, really. SMDH if you're so mentally diseased you're concerned about individual server uptimes.

Alternatively, Debian's updater will restart any services that depend on openssl when upgrading that package, which seems like it's better than anything anybody else's got.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

won't kernel 4.0 have hot patching so you can apply security fixes and things like that without needing a reboot?

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
So if I like the many things that Just Work (kind of) in Fedora/GNOME, but really want a tiling window manager for work (I currently use xmonad), what are my options?

Don't get me wrong, manually mounting USB sticks is cool and all and fidgeting around with xrandr and arandr whenever I attach monitors makes me feel manly, but maybe I should give another way a try.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The_Franz posted:

won't kernel 4.0 have hot patching so you can apply security fixes and things like that without needing a reboot?

ksplice already exists

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OldAlias posted:

this is through the gui updater. why would you have a gui on a server?

why can't the gui updater do the same things a command-line one does? I'm pretty sure having a window for the update UI is not the major issue.

ruby idiot railed posted:

Rebuilt, not just rebooted. Either way's fair, really. SMDH if you're so mentally diseased you're concerned about individual server uptimes.

I'm a bit concerned about reboot disruption (losing shell/editor state on shared development machines, f.e.), but mostly that it will lead to people not applying patches as aggressively.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

Updates cannot be applied to a live system safely. the traditional update is really stupid and dumb and bad and you can run into many race conditions (and do run into many race conditions) but most people put up with it. I can give specific examples if you want.

So we reboot, put your system in a special update mode, and then reboot again, and that's the only way to make it truly safe in the package manager land. Sandboxing apps will help with a lot of this so we can be more sure about OS updates.

So Fedora is explicitly catching up to Windows Update but poorly and with additional reboots? Can you update on shutdown yet?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I mean, unless you explicitly track down and restart all services using OpenSSL (something that Red Hat worked on for a long time and got a partial solution for, it's a *hard problem*), you should just reboot the entire box. This is one of the things that systemd lets you do better, since you can now restart all services through one place instead of these three through init, these three through cron, etc.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

MrMoo posted:

So Fedora is explicitly catching up to Windows Update but poorly and with additional reboots? Can you update on shutdown yet?

Update on shutdown is difficult for another set of reasons, and it broke several important things, so we went for the super-safe route for now.

The long-term vision is to have OS updates and application updates as separate moving parts, so you can update your applications independently from your OS, and then you won't have a broken Firefox because you tried to update LibreOffice.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pram posted:

ksplice already exists

yeah, but that required you to pay oracle money.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Athas posted:

So if I like the many things that Just Work (kind of) in Fedora/GNOME, but really want a tiling window manager for work (I currently use xmonad), what are my options?

Don't get me wrong, manually mounting USB sticks is cool and all and fidgeting around with xrandr and arandr whenever I attach monitors makes me feel manly, but maybe I should give another way a try.

kde doesn't really care what your window manager is

http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/KDE_and_awesome#Option_1:_.desktop_files

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

ksplice already exists

ksplice getting replaced by a suse/redhat effort, which i assume means red hat will start supporting whatever the new thing is

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I installed ubuntu & then installed the nvidia driver from the software updater. after logging out & back in, unity wouldn't come back up and I couldn't drop down to a virtual terminal either (though I could go to the vga console). I don't think I'll be using ubuntu.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

clicked the link and found

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

clicked the link and found

python
mutt
anime
illegal gambling

yeah i guess that's what i expected your average tiling wm user to resemble

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Maybe I will try it out, but it is not nearly as nice as GNOME. I have Emacs and the terminal for when I just want things to have tons of features and power.

So what's the best distribution on which to run KDE?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
an enlarged slice of the wayne "pighammer" static :rip: ended up on this image i posted, managed to screenshot what i thought was a driver fuckup, lmao @ this lovely screen compositing or w/e teh hell. refreshed page and it was gone

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 11, 2015

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Alternatively just work somewhere that does not allow installing updates except in the case of a bug that causes a critical failure.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

reinstalled the linux. apparently every DE except XFCE and LXDE is still crap if you have multiple monitors and want to play a Source game

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sassafras posted:

Debian's "checkrestart" script, hiding out in the "debian-goodies" package seems to do a fairly credible job via lsof at telling you what needs to be restarted, although certain services are safer to restart than others.

Yeah, Red Hat built "needs-restarting" which is extremely similar. It does not catch all cases and is dangerous to use automatically.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

i use linux because it's fun to work on. i enjoy writing the code and poking into low-level systems poo poo. the application ecosystem is still poo poo and the community is trash and i don't honestly see any way of improving it

you could work on OS X, Apple is hiring

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I might eventually. Right now, I'm really loving what I'm doing at Endless. The problems are challenging and engaging, the work is right up my alley, and my coworkers are really cool.

Duo
Aug 4, 2002
My fedora edition linux desktop operating system 21 keeps breaking whenever I run yum update, am I not supposed to do that or what

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Athas posted:

Maybe I will try it out, but it is not nearly as nice as GNOME. I have Emacs and the terminal for when I just want things to have tons of features and power.

So what's the best distribution on which to run KDE?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Duo posted:

My fedora edition linux desktop operating system 21 keeps breaking whenever I run yum update, am I not supposed to do that or what

it is not supposed to break, what is breaking?

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

lol

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

l

linux is ready for the big time

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
aaah hahaha thats great

i can definitely see that slipping through a ton of testing, i dont think i have ever let a shutdown timer like that display for more than 3 seconds or so

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Lysidas posted:

a ton of testing

lol.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lysidas posted:

a ton of tester

so, three linux users

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Duo posted:

this is just what happens when you use linux

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Captain Pike posted:

this is just what happens when you use linux

I typically avoid doing updates for anything other than my web browser because I've been burnt more than a few times leaving me with a completely unusable system (usually related to nvidia drivers, but occasionally GDM or KDM or whatever) and losing a day's worth of work to having to hook up my windows pc and download a new linux iso and set that poo poo back up.

After the first couple times I got smart and started making lists and scripts and keeping a separate /home partition to reduce this time down to about an hour.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
or hey maybe if you rely on your linux poo poo to do serious work you shouldn't run bleeding edge poo poo and update to alpha and beta software constantly

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

e: nvm

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Ubuntu 12.04. the bleeding edge of Linux.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ZShakespeare posted:

Ubuntu 12.04. the bleeding edge of Linux.

why the gently caress would you install ubuntu and expect any better result?

ubuntu, putting the sores in open source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I have the rpm now since I paid attention and found out oracle accounts are free, guess I assumed that it was like the msdn and you needed to pay

now to crowbar it into a fedora 21 vm, yay for outdated cs assignments