Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Drastic Actions posted:

Same here. I'm not sure if I should go :dance: or not, seeing that I don't use that much data anyway, especially with most music service services not counting against it. And I lose my data stash so when I get reset back it'll be gone.

Eh, it's nice I guess?

I'm finding it incredibly useful, as I'm having to do unexpected travel, and my phone usage shot up because of it.

I'm taking it. When 2016 rolls around, I'll worry about the data stash/rollover date, etc. They may have something completely different by then as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shif
Aug 12, 2013
Does T-Mobile only have reliable 4G in cities? I've been to mostly rural areas and can't seem to find much service versus Verizon users.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, expecting 4G outside of citiesand major highways is kind of a lost cause on T-Mobile.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, expecting 4G outside of citiesand major highways is kind of a lost cause on T-Mobile.

All 2g towers are expected to be done upgrading to LTE by the end of June. If you look at the full coverage map right now, that's all gonna be LTE in a few months. The brighter color is T-Mobile coverage, the darker is where you can roam.

repeating fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 15, 2015

Shif
Aug 12, 2013

repeating posted:

All 2g towers are expected to be done upgrading to LTE by the end of June. If you look at the full coverage map right now, that's all gonna be LTE in a few months. The brighter color is T-Mobile coverage, the darker is where you can roam.

As in pink being LTE coverage?

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Yes.

Shif
Aug 12, 2013
I could get used to that, it's about drat time they did some upgrading. I'm tired of looking at E.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Even some podunk not-near-anything towns have LTE already. They're also reconfiguring the towers to move some of the equipment for better range. And of course there's 700mhz LTE. The future is looking bright at the moment.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
If I'm just on T-Mobile's free 200 MB/month data plan, will they send me a femtocell/signal booster?

The signal outside my house is good on 4G/HSPA (4 "dots", ~2550 KBps average), and simply OK on LTE (two "dots", ~950 KBps average). While I'm outside, my iPad connects to 4G over LTE presumably because the signal is stronger and that's fine, but inside my house it's absolute garbage (one "dot" of 4G averages about 40 KBps, if I'm lucky). I realize they have been sending out an Asus RT AC-68U to some people, but I don't want that since it wouldn't help anything — not only would it not improve my LTE signal, I already have my own AC-68U.

Since I'm also not actually paying for T-Mobile service, I don't really want to pay for this either. If it's going to be expensive, then gently caress it, but if it's reasonably cheap and they're willing to send it out I'd go for it.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

If I'm just on T-Mobile's free 200 MB/month data plan, will they send me a femtocell/signal booster?

The signal outside my house is good on 4G/HSPA (4 "dots", ~2550 KBps average), and simply OK on LTE (two "dots", ~950 KBps average). While I'm outside, my iPad connects to 4G over LTE presumably because the signal is stronger and that's fine, but inside my house it's absolute garbage (one "dot" of 4G averages about 40 KBps, if I'm lucky). I realize they have been sending out an Asus RT AC-68U to some people, but I don't want that since it wouldn't help anything — not only would it not improve my LTE signal, I already have my own AC-68U.

Since I'm also not actually paying for T-Mobile service, I don't really want to pay for this either. If it's going to be expensive, then gently caress it, but if it's reasonably cheap and they're willing to send it out I'd go for it.

They might send you a 'free' CellSpot. It's two units, the window unit that connects to the macro network and the coverage unit where you stick somewhere in your house with low/no signal. You just have to send it back if you ever cancel your service or they charge you 500bux for it.

Can't hurt to call and ask.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

T-Mobile only gives the cell boosters to postpaid customers. Prepaid customers and customers on the free 200 megabytes aren't qualified to get it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

If you already have wifi, why don't you just use that?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Qu Appelle posted:

T-Mobile decided that I was a loyal customer, and consequently decided to give me Unlimited 4G for the rest of 2015!

The way this one works is hilariously inept; it's not based solely on the age of the line.

I got a text that one of my secondary lines (the one I have for my mom, the exact opposite of a heavy data user) got unlimited data for 2015 because yada yada loyal customer. I called TMo up to see if it was a mistake since it was a secondary line and my primary line has been up and going since 2002 right after the VoiceStream change over. They said no because I don't have a phone financed on my line and haven't in quite some time (I buy either second hand or Nexus devices) but that secondary line has a financed phone so it qualifies! Said financed phone was the freebie they gave me to start the line 3 years ago that I didn't want but they sent anyways and is still shrinkwrapped in a closet somewhere.

:doh:

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Steal her phone number.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Just transferred to T-Mobile a few days ago. I'm getting real unlimited data, paying less than I was with AT&T, the coverage and speed is fantastic, and the customer service representative was one of the best I've experienced.

Couldn't be happier with the transition :)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Prepaid T-Mobile lines are getting datastash rollover (except nerdplan, but eh, that plan is already way good for what it is).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but I want to make sure before I pull the trigger. There's an unlocked Moto X Developer Edition that was originally on Verizon on Ebay. Are there any gotchas or other things to worry about for bringing this onto T-Mobile? It's a GSM phone, I've got a T-Mobile sim card. Would I need to bring it in to T-Mobile to let them know that I'm changing the phone or anything, or do I just plug and play?

Also, if I call in to T-Mobile and give them my phone number, can they tell me what plan I'm on? I'm lucky enough to still be on a family plan, but it would be nice to know if I get that unlimited music streaming thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but I want to make sure before I pull the trigger. There's an unlocked Moto X Developer Edition that was originally on Verizon on Ebay. Are there any gotchas or other things to worry about for bringing this onto T-Mobile? It's a GSM phone, I've got a T-Mobile sim card. Would I need to bring it in to T-Mobile to let them know that I'm changing the phone or anything, or do I just plug and play?

Also, if I call in to T-Mobile and give them my phone number, can they tell me what plan I'm on? I'm lucky enough to still be on a family plan, but it would be nice to know if I get that unlimited music streaming thing.
Here's the gotchas: it won't have 3G in most place or LTE anywhere. Look for an XT1053 if you want a 2013 Moto X on T-Mobile. It's the only model with all the appropriate bands (except Band 12 LTE, but few phones have that).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So unlocked phones don't get 4g? That blows. Or is it this specific model that doesn't have the right bands? What bands am I looking for?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The way this one works is hilariously inept; it's not based solely on the age of the line.

I got a text that one of my secondary lines (the one I have for my mom, the exact opposite of a heavy data user) got unlimited data for 2015 because yada yada loyal customer. I called TMo up to see if it was a mistake since it was a secondary line and my primary line has been up and going since 2002 right after the VoiceStream change over. They said no because I don't have a phone financed on my line and haven't in quite some time (I buy either second hand or Nexus devices) but that secondary line has a financed phone so it qualifies! Said financed phone was the freebie they gave me to start the line 3 years ago that I didn't want but they sent anyways and is still shrinkwrapped in a closet somewhere.

That's weird; I haven't had a financed phone on T-mo since....ever. I bought a couple of phones outright, and then started taking over my own devices in 2007.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 17, 2015

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Qu Appelle posted:

That's weird; I haven't had a financed phone on T-mo since....ever. I bought a couple of phones outright, and then started taking over my own devices in 2007.

Then I guess the rep was just bullshitting me. Yay arbitrary.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Then I guess the rep was just bullshitting me. Yay arbitrary.

I did see that it seems to be targeted at low data users, and I am one of those - until now, I barely cracked 1GB on my 3GB plan every month.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Qu Appelle posted:

I did see that it seems to be targeted at low data users, and I am one of those - until now, I barely cracked 1GB on my 3GB plan every month.

This is probably it. The line they gave it too barely cracks a few hundred megs a month while I brush against my 3 gig cap month over month.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, that makes sense. Give your promotion to the people who aren't going to actually make use of it, save the money it would cost while still getting goodwill.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Or increase the usage of lower users so when the promotion expires they decide to pay for it.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
Or testing to see if just moving to only offering unlimited would be feasible in the future?

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.

Civil posted:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/39150759

Wow, a $20 Tmo android shitphone. At least it runs 4.4.

I just bought this phone because I broke my regular phone while I was out of town and I just wanted something on the drive home. I'm frankly shocked at how much phone 20 dollars will get you. I had originally planned on just using it for a few days until I bought a "real" phone, but now I think I'm going to use it until I find something it just can't do. There's a video out there where a guy compares the hardware to the new $200 Nintendo 3DS and the difference is striking, (the ZTE buries the new 3DS).

I can always pull the sim and give it to my 6-yr old when I'm done fooling around with it.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Uncarrier 9.0 is out, tl;dr for non-business lines is that promotional pricing for any defined data bucket is permanent, so things like that 4/$100 never expires. Unlimited promotions are locked for "at least" two, so if you just got that free unlimited for 1 year it's now two.

Also they will now pay off phone leases up to $650/line in addition to ETFs, but I doubt the "cheap phone switcheroo" works for that one.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The business plans are not bad either

Unlimited Text/Talk/1GB 4G Data
-Lines 10-19 are $16 each
-Lines 20-1000 are $15 each
-Lines 1001+ are $10 each

Additional Data:
-2GB for $10/line
-Unlimited for $30/line

Plans with 20+ lines can do shared data
-$475/mo for 100GB (4.75/GB)
-$2250/mo for 500GB (4.50/GB)
-$4250/mo for 1TB ($4.25/GB)

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Has anyone tried using a T-Mobile voice/data nano-SIM in an iPad?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I posted in here a while back about a phone I was planning on buying. I heard that it wouldn't necessarily get 4G coverage because it was originally a Verizon edition. What am I looking for in the spec sheet to know that a new phone will play nice with T-Mobile?

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I posted in here a while back about a phone I was planning on buying. I heard that it wouldn't necessarily get 4G coverage because it was originally a Verizon edition. What am I looking for in the spec sheet to know that a new phone will play nice with T-Mobile?

T-Mobile is mostly band 2 and band 4.
Band 2 is 1900mhz, has 2G/voice and usually HSPA, and in some places LTE.
Band 4 is 1700/2100mhz and has HSPA and LTE

They are also beginning to roll out band 12/700mhz LTE, but right now most phones don't support it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was half wrong about the Verizon Moto X, for what it's worth. It supports bands 4 and 13, so you'll get LTE service sometimes. It's also missing the 1700 MHz 3G band, so you might not even get 3G in places where LTE isn't available.'

But to answer your question here, you need to look for the following:

LTE bands 2 and 4, with band 12 being a nice, but not necessary, addition

3G bands: 1900 MHz and 1700/2100 MHz

2G: 1900 MHz

I'm pretty sure that the 1700/2100 band is still the majority of the 3G network and the 1900 band is 2G in most places.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4988

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
You also want 850mhz for some roaming. I think you'd have a hard time finding a phone that doesn't support 850mhz, though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

I was half wrong about the Verizon Moto X, for what it's worth. It supports bands 4 and 13, so you'll get LTE service sometimes. It's also missing the 1700 MHz 3G band, so you might not even get 3G in places where LTE isn't available.'

But to answer your question here, you need to look for the following:

LTE bands 2 and 4, with band 12 being a nice, but not necessary, addition

3G bands: 1900 MHz and 1700/2100 MHz

2G: 1900 MHz

I'm pretty sure that the 1700/2100 band is still the majority of the 3G network and the 1900 band is 2G in most places.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4988

Okay, thanks. It seems like specifically T-Mobile phones are harder to find / more expensive, so it's nice to know what to look for on generic unlocked phones.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Put me in the same boat as Qu Appelle, I haven't financed a phone since before 2009 but I use ~1 gig a month on my data plan and I got free unlimited data.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Time to start watching netflix on your phone.

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.
Does anyone buy refill cards through sites like CallingMart? How do they work?

They used to sell their cards for like 1-2% less than the price it would take to buy the card elsewhere. Then they started charging the same price. Now they add a 2% "surcharge" for some reason. Is it possible there's a real reason for this other than because they can? And regardless, are there any other sites that don't do it?

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

They're pretty up front about the reasoning for the increase in prices on Calling Mart - it's all to do with T-Mobile changing their reseller rates:

quote:

Starting June 1, 2014, T-Mobile will increase their reseller pricing further! In order for us to continue selling this product online, we have to charge 2% extra so we will not be losing on this product considering the costs of selling this online.

Even with the increased surcharges, it's still cheaper than buying from other places, and definitely cheaper than paying for it with tax.

Otherwise, how it works is you buy the refill card, they give you the code that you put in on My T-Mobile or put in via your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
I'm on the $30 nerd plan and used up my 5GB of data while traveling in the past week so now I'm getting throttled to 64kbps - how do I go about starting a new month to get my fast data back? I have more than enough money in my account but it looks like my only options are to switch to another plan completely. Is this even possible?