Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Alder posted:

I don't but some people can be very determined if they have enough time + effort on their hands. I would quote more but then it starts looking awkward into a giant quote blocks on forums.

There are a bunch of settings that allow you to control what parts of your LinkedIn profile are visible to the public, including your picture. They work well enough that coworkers and bosses haven't been able to locate me. And if these people that you speak of are so determined to find you, withholding a picture from your profile isn't going to do much to foil them and you should probably be going to the police. Or possibly a shrink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It also helps if you aren't a shitler online

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 18, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Bhodi posted:

It also helps if you aren't a shitler online

lol I googled my name and xanga still shows up

:suicide:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 18, 2015

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Tab8715 posted:

lol I google my name and my xanga still shows up

I am so glad I used different usernames for everything growing up.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Unless you keep personas 100% separate, someone with enough motivation is always going to be able to hunt you down picture or no. With some clever deduction you could probably find my real name inside a half hour simply by comparing my twitter followers' facebook friends and find the guy who's in all of them. For evol it's bound in his professional profile. There are holes everywhere, and unless you keep things 100% separate you're not going to be able to protect against anything deeper than a casual google search. That's just life.

Now I want to know who you think is tracking you, and why. Come on, you can tell us.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
hahaha evol http://www.purepwnage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5404 this is the first page of google for you, what did you do to this guy

XxnickpwnsxX posted:

I no im not to make topics like this but whatever!

You are a little gently caress head who flames ne thing ne 1 writes i simply make a topic u flame me make fun of me tell me your better, ur a loving asswipe i will beat the poo poo out of you in real life so bring it on bitch, sorry to pure pwnage that i had to write this on your forums but its the only way to show to other players what a douche bag this kid is.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 18, 2015

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Bhodi posted:

hahaha evol http://www.purepwnage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5404 this is the first page of google for you, what did you do to this guy

10 years later did this guy ever kick your rear end irl?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Roargasm posted:

I am so glad I used different usernames for everything growing up.

Oh god, this so much. It's not a huge stretch to find my old usernames but at least any dumb poo poo I posted as a teenager doesn't come right up when you search my current one :v: Also, I'm really glad the web was only just getting started for most of my high school years, and social networks didn't exist at all. Saved me from myself I'm sure.

Bhodi posted:

lmao

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

mattfl posted:

Whereabouts in Florida? If the Orlando area I can recommend some places, hell I'd recommend the place I work at right away. Bosses that actually care about a work/life balance, normal 40 hour work weeks, no after hour/weekend/days off calls unless you're on call, good benefits/vacation days and excellent pay.

Actually, Orlando is one of the places I was looking at - I actually applied for a Systems Admin position at SpaceX in Cape Canaveral, and Lockheed Martin in Orlando. There are several positions available in Pensacola, Eglin AFB, and MacDill AFB that I'm considering applying for, but I'm not sure about how things are on the Gulf side of Florida, but if it gets me a job down south I don't think I'll complain too much, especially if it's near the ocean. I used to be an avid scuba diver and fisherman, and it would be nice to be able to pick those hobbies up again where the water and weather are warmer year round.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bhodi posted:

Even though I never actually watched PurePwnage, I was a global mod on their forums. I spent a lot of time trolling their tech support forum and it kind of escalated. I was really, really active. I'd honestly be a little surprised if there's anyone who posted on the PurePwnage forum (or IRC, which I opped) from 2005-2007 who didn't recognize my nick.

I don't remember that guy specifically, but I probably locked some stupid thread he made after 2 posts, called him stupid, and put him on probation.

But no, he never found me. Whew.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

evol262 posted:

Even though I never actually watched PurePwnage, I was a global mod on their forums. I spent a lot of time trolling their tech support forum and it kind of escalated. I was really, really active. I'd honestly be a little surprised if there's anyone who posted on the PurePwnage forum (or IRC, which I opped) from 2005-2007 who didn't recognize my nick.

I don't remember that guy specifically, but I probably locked some stupid thread he made after 2 posts, called him stupid, and put him on probation.

Sounds about right.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

evol262 posted:

I've had a few pointed disagreements with you and your views on here before, but judging by the quality of the one post of his that I read from that link, I feel confident in saying that you were 100% correct in your actions in that case.

My eye is still twitching.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I don't have a LinkedIn pic because I'm fat and my network is full of not-fat people so I can't let them in on my secret!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

evol262 posted:

Man I wanted to this finally be one of the stories where a guy threatened to kick someone's rear end irl and it finally happened.

That guy has no follow through.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Che Delilas posted:

I've had a few pointed disagreements with you and your views on here before, but judging by the quality of the one post of his that I read from that link, I feel confident in saying that you were 100% correct in your actions in that case.

My eye is still twitching.

It's the internet, and opinions are like assholes.

Part of being a good moderator is not holding personal grudges against people no matter how much you disagree with what they say. Everyone disagrees sometimes. Some more often than others. I'd also be surprised if I hadn't had pointed disagreements with people on an internet comedy forum, whether they voiced those disagreements or just put me on ignore.

But people are a lot more vocal and a lot more abrasive over the internet than they are in person, and you've gotta let that stuff go.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Docjowles posted:

Oh god, this so much. It's not a huge stretch to find my old usernames but at least any dumb poo poo I posted as a teenager doesn't come right up when you search my current one :v: Also, I'm really glad the web was only just getting started for most of my high school years, and social networks didn't exist at all. Saved me from myself I'm sure.

I got broadband when I was 13, no one was saving me from me. If AIM away messages were tweets :stare:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
If someone's a prior victim of stalking and other harassment, maybe asking them to prove it and pressing for details is kind of a douchey thing to do.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My stalker had the luxury of being connected to my broader social circle in highschool, so there was no e-sleuthing required on his part.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Misogynist posted:

If someone's a prior victim of stalking and other harassment, maybe asking them to prove it and pressing for details is kind of a douchey thing to do.

I was avoiding bringing it up since it's pretty off topic, but yeah. There are a lot of internet shitlords out there who will harass the hell out of you for the slightest perceived "offense", let alone an ex and/or crazy person you know IRL. Especially if you're female (though I have no idea of the poster in question's gender). Being reluctant to make yourself easy to find and contact is totally reasonable if you've been a victim of behavior like that.

vvv Heh I was trying to avoid opening that can of worms in this thread, but yes, that's exactly it

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 18, 2015

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Docjowles posted:

I was avoiding bringing it up since it's pretty off topic, but yeah. There are a lot of internet shitlords out there who will harass the hell out of you for the slightest perceived "offense", let alone an ex and/or crazy person you know IRL. Especially if you're female (though I have no idea of the poster in quesiton's gender).

See #gamergate

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

jaegerx posted:

See #gamergate

jfc

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

lol I googled my name and xanga still shows up

Xanga still exists? I thought it went in the way of Myspace? :v:

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for FB to slowly fade away into the realm of old people and less tech proficient users.

I do know the internet is going to find me... eventually but I happen to be blessed with a extremely generic full name but you can never to 100% certain :stare:

Already locked down all my internet profiles and social medias. Also, do people still use one email for everything? The official rule is that you're never supposed to do that same w/handles.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Alder posted:

Already locked down all my internet profiles and social medias. Also, do people still use one email for everything? The official rule is that you're never supposed to do that same w/handles.
Official rules? For the internet?

I do, but I also use the same handle everywhere. Then again, I've never taken internet threats/stalking seriously and, as noted, it's inextricably linked to my professional activities at this point if people bother to look up my real name, personal nick, or professional nick.

I don't really do social media. The only place I'm active is here. Despite having a LinkedIn, it may be hard to find my Facebook without connecting my nick to my name, then my company, finding the picture, and reverse searching that. Common name with multiple famous people who have the same one. If you can't draw a line between these things, you're probably fine. Especially if you use a LinkedIn picture that isn't used anywhere else connected to you.

It's hard to find me on Google by real name, but easy by nick or if you know who I work for.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alder posted:

Xanga still exists? I thought it went in the way of Myspace? :v:

Myspace still exists as well.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

evol262 posted:

Official rules? For the internet?
It's hard to find me on Google by real name, but easy by nick or if you know who I work for.

I grew up just before the internet changed everything but I swore they had something like don't tell strangers your IRL address, name, or anything specific. Then FB happened along w/Google's real name policy :v:

I have social media because some people I follow and niche interests don't want to join forums or spend time designing their own site (yeah even w/WP nowadays). FB's popularity still eludes me because it feels like perpetual HS and no one liked HS that much. It's not a rule per se but it's the idea that you shouldn't be easily traced back to one source which ties all your info together.

Still I can't quit Gmail and by now I know they pretty much own my soul.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Alder posted:

I grew up just before the internet changed everything but I swore they had something like don't tell strangers your IRL address, name, or anything specific. Then FB happened along w/Google's real name policy :v:

I was joking. I'm in my 30s and I remember the pre-internet world pretty well, along with the internet where you could take "a/s/l" seriously, and the internet where everyone was completely anonymous and proxies were worth a drat, and today's internet, and...

I've just never seen official rules for the internet. Who publishes them? ARIN? RIPE? IEEE? ISO?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

evol262 posted:

I was joking. I'm in my 30s and I remember the pre-internet world pretty well, along with the internet where you could take "a/s/l" seriously, and the internet where everyone was completely anonymous and proxies were worth a drat, and today's internet, and...

I've just never seen official rules for the internet. Who publishes them? ARIN? RIPE? IEEE? ISO?

IETF. Duh.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

evol262 posted:

:bahgawd:

But you're right. To think that the majority of people had Windows machines completely open to the world and the fist time it caused an issue was when Blaster came around is mind-boggling. Oh how naive we all were.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Having dinner with founders of trueability.com. Anyone have any complaints or ideas I should let them know about?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

From a relatively novice Linux user the site is pretty cool and keep up the good work.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Is it always a terrible idea to leave a job before having a new one in hand? I've already stayed where I am longer than I should - the environment is stressful, management is terrible, projects are haphazard, and there's no real opportunity to learn anything. About the only good thing I can say is that it's a solid paycheck that arrives on time and I sort of lucked into a position I was underqualified for when I started, but the latter is no longer true.

It shouldn't be an issue financially if I can find something else this year, but I always hear that it's that much harder to find a new job when you aren't currently employed. Would I be shooting myself in the foot, or could it be worthwhile to get out of an increasingly aggravating situation and focus on job hunting/work on certs full-time?

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 19, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

jaegerx posted:

Having dinner with founders of trueability.com. Anyone have any complaints or ideas I should let them know about?

Except the fact it uses flash, yeah. Seems useful-ish from a junior-sysadmin point of view. It's not that useful for midlevel and not at all for senior level people, no matter what they claim.

Also not sure about the pricing; partnering might be more useful than trying to outright charge a thousand dollars per job and then 4k+ per "success" as a finders fee. That kind of rate is not sustainable and is going to keep them squarely in the minor leagues.

They're trying to frame it as a candidate recruiter and are pricing it as such. What they really are is an evaluation tool, and should be marketing and pricing it that way.

They also have the perfect framework for a RHCSA/RHCE "interactive study guide" and should be all up in that market ASAP.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 19, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is it always a terrible idea to leave a job before having a new one in hand? I've already stayed where I am longer than I should - the environment is stressful, management is terrible, projects are haphazard, and there's no real opportunity to learn anything. About the only good thing I can say is that it's a solid paycheck that arrives on time and I sort of lucked into a position I was underqualified for when I started, but the latter is no longer true.

It shouldn't be an issue financially if I can find something else this year, but I always hear that it's that much harder to find a new job when you aren't currently employed. Would I be shooting myself in the foot, or could it be worthwhile to get out of an increasingly aggravating situation and focus on job hunting/work on certs full-time?

Just zone out and coast while looking for something better, replying to emails on the sly and getting interviews in on your lunch hour. You might be in a stressful situation right now but it will be a lot more stressful when you get 3 months in and still don't have a start date lined up.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
So the guy above my manager - who isn't really his boss, but approves merit raises for the whole building - decided that the ~17% raise my boss wanted to give me was too much for my current job title (despite it being in the lower half of the posted range for the title). So instead of me just getting the raise, they're gonna reclassify me to the next job title up, with the same salary they were going to originally bump me up to, and not change my responsibilities at all.

Academia/state government is weird. In any case, no complaints here! :toot:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

evol262 posted:

My real name is incredibly common and shared by a few minor celebrities (including a musician, an author, and a speaker at IT related things) so unless you narrow it down by location or job or something I'm pretty much invisible on the internet. Nick just shows I'm into a lot of gaming :shrug:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

jaegerx posted:

Oh, I forgot about that site. I'm taking some Community College courses on Linux and it'll be neat to take a second crack at it.

Now that I'm starting to figure things out, I'm starting to get excited about actually being able to attempt some of the challenges.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It is almost always a red flag unless it's a contract that you can say ended. Simple answer to a situation with a lot of variables, I'm sure.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Alder posted:

I have social media because some people I follow and niche interests don't want to join forums or spend time designing their own site (yeah even w/WP nowadays). FB's popularity still eludes me because it feels like perpetual HS and no one liked HS that much. It's not a rule per se but it's the idea that you shouldn't be easily traced back to one source which ties all your info together.

Still I can't quit Gmail and by now I know they pretty much own my soul.

Social media makes it easier to find like-minded people with the same interests and have great conversations. On the flip-side but it can be awfully addictive and potentially an enormous waste of time - why would I need to see what you ate for breakfast this morning? Oddly enough and on the same subject I read this earlier today and found it rather insightful Hate The News.

As for keeping things closed I've locked down most of social media footprint. I'm not necessarily :tinfoil: but my personal life is my personal life.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Oh, I forgot about that site. I'm taking some Community College courses on Linux and it'll be neat to take a second crack at it.

Now that I'm starting to figure things out, I'm starting to get excited about actually being able to attempt some of the challenges.

This isn't through Stanley is it? I'm going through/completed Learn Linux the Hard Way site and the edX.org Linux class. I was going to try to hammer through Micheal Jang's RHCSA/RHCE Study Guides but with the new editions coming out in September it seems I should wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tab8715 posted:

This isn't through Stanley is it? I'm going through/completed Learn Linux the Hard Way site and the edX.org Linux class. I was going to try to hammer through Micheal Jang's RHCSA/RHCE Study Guides but with the new editions coming out in September it seems I should wait.

No, I'm doing it through a local community college. I have the older Jang book and I'm definitely interested in doing a team effort on RHCSA if other people want to do a group thing.