Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Jerusalem posted:

And has been stressed many times by others, they POLITELY declined a WWE contract, they were very respectful and grateful for the offer but explained in reasonable terms why they felt they were better off not taking them up on it.

im not super familiar with this story, can you tell it?

i mean i get why they turned the contract down, i just didnt realize it was addressed/there was background stuff on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

John Cena's gonna win, a huge American flag will unfurl at Levi's Stadium, the American national anthem will play as Cena rapadoos around the ring.

As a non-American, I'll probably be in the bathroom or cooking or something

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerusalem posted:

And has been stressed many times by others, they POLITELY declined a WWE contract, they were very respectful and grateful for the offer but explained in reasonable terms why they felt they were better off not taking them up on it.

With their already-displayed capacity for sarcasm and snark, I can imagine the events of the past few weeks will make that respect and gratitude dry up pretty loving quickly.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
WWE is going to rekill the territories despite them profiting the most from their revival because the odd wrestler might say no to them.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Yuriy posted:

i mean i get why they turned the contract down, i just didnt realize it was addressed/there was background stuff on it

mark henry was addressing a confident roman reigns in a promo on smackdown last week and he said "you young bucks think you know everything, but you ain't been NOWHERE" and dave confirmed on the board that this phrasing was intentional

during an usos match recently commentary described an exchange as a "superkick party"

wwe has recently taken steps to trademark the two sweet gesture, this actually led to a "gently caress the trademark" chant at an FWE show

oatgan fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 18, 2015

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

oatgan posted:

mark henry was addressing a confident roman reigns in a promo on smackdown last week and he said "you young bucks think you know everything, but you ain't been NOWHERE" and dave confirmed on the board that this phrasing was intentional

during an usos match recently commentary described an exchange as a "superkick party"

wwe has recently taken steps to trademark the two sweet gesture

oh no, i got that, i mean i didn't know about the bucks turning down the contract and the poo poo behind that

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

oatgan posted:

wwe has recently taken steps to trademark the two sweet gesture

The irony being, of course, being said by Mark Henry who has been nowhere other than WWE.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

BodyMassageMachine posted:

I wish they had a guy whose goal was to get all three major singles titles. Like, obsessively so. He could be the WWE champ, but that means NOTHING unless he also has the IC and US. It'd have to be a guy that can handle three feuds at once, perhaps culminating in doing various gauntlet matches for each respective title.

Then he fuses all three into the Universal Championship or something ridiculous like that.

it's a slow day at work today
It would be fun for Rollins to do that. Say the Authority inserted him into the ladder match at WrestleMania as a goof and he wins that. Then he can screw Cena for the US title sometime soon, and bam cashing in for the big one. Also make him the tag-champs with secret weapon Jamie Noble for full effect.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jerusalem posted:

Times like this I remember the Patrice O'Neil story and laugh as I realize nothing is going to change when HHH and Steph take over since they are about as petty as Vince

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Davros1 posted:

The irony being, of course, being said by Mark Henry who has been nowhere other than WWE.

But WWE is the only place that matters.

drat, WWE is one crazy lady you don't want to reject.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Davros1 posted:

he's been the only place that matters, bub :smug:

Yuriy posted:

oh no, i got that, i mean i didn't know about the bucks turning down the contract and the poo poo behind that

oh it was around a year ago during wwe's last batch of big name signings and the bucks knew that wwe doesn't give a poo poo about tag teams so they wouldn't be booked, they make more money in the indies anyway, and that they only wanted to sign under the condition they'd never be broken up (which wwe would most assuredly do if they ever did anything with them). They declined the offer and really didn't make a big stink about it like you would expect the young bucks to. The story kinda got out and now WWE is acting like whiny babies about it. The get so many offers for bookings they started asking for more money just to deter promoters and the calendar is still full.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

achillesforever6 posted:

Times like this I remember the Patrice O'Neil story and laugh as I realize nothing is going to change when HHH and Steph take over since they are about as petty as Vince

At least with Vince, when you had a situation like him firing Bryan, he was impressed and pleased when Bryan said,"Don't apologize, I'm gonna make a hell of a lot of money on the Indies now!"

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

oatgan posted:

he's been the only place that matters, bub :smug:

oh it was around a year ago during wwe's last batch of big name signings and the bucks knew that wwe doesn't give a poo poo about tag teams so they wouldn't be booked, they make more money in the indies anyway, and that they only wanted to sign under the condition they'd never be broken up (which wwe would most assuredly do if they ever did anything with them). They declined the offer and really didn't make a big stink about it like you would expect the young bucks to. The story kinda got out and now WWE is acting like whiny babies about it. The get so many offers for bookings they started asking for more money just to deter promoters and the calendar is still full.

well good for them

this might belong in the wrestling questions thread but why do they hate tag team wrestling so much at the 'e

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Despite the incredibly lovely state of WWE at the moment. Can we all just pause for a moment and agree that we have Axelmania and we are all better off for having that :unsmith:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yuriy posted:

well good for them

this might belong in the wrestling questions thread but why do they hate tag team wrestling so much at the 'e

Tag team wrestling in the 'E has been bad and extremely formulaic for like 15 years.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Jerusalem posted:

WWE Over The Limit is brought to you by DDPYoga, and in unrelated news Vince McMahon just hung himself.

Good news: Triple H will no longer be endlessly talking the first 25-30 minutes of every Raw.

Bad news: Jericho will now take his spot.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They apparently don't hate the Usos. They don't hate the Usos so much that *no other team remotely matters* except the Usos. This current reprieve is most certainly a mistake that will be corrected as soon as Jey stops being injured.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Yuriy posted:

well good for them

I think it has to do with paying two people to be one attraction when everyone you're paying should be an attraction in their own right in their minds.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Yuriy posted:

Full story why not.

The Young Bucks were once turned down by the WWE because they forgot to shake Booker T's hand in TNA and RVD was offended that they didn't come to him for advice. Don't know what RVD expected them to learn from him as they understand "getting all your poo poo in" and "do a flip" already.

More recently they were offered a WWE contract and they politely turned it down as they're the hottest indy act going and they're making huge amounts of cash. And really, the WWE's attitude towards tag teams, flippy guys and people not wrestling the WWE style means that they wouldn't really get much of a shot.

WWE does not take rejection well and the idea that the WWE is not the only wrestling company infuriates them so so far they have copyrighted the "Too Sweet" hand gesture and catchphrase, nicked the term "Superkick party" and had Mark Henry talk about how he's sick of overconfident Young Bucks who have been Nowhere, as anywhere outside of the WWE is nowhere.

Can't wait for the WWE to start making their own Young Bucks that wrestle the WWE style and are broken up in two months.

Edit: beaten bad.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So if the Bucks turned WWE down a year ago why did WWE get all bent out of shape about it now? I assumed the Bucks offer was part of this recent thing where WWE is allegedly going after ROH and trying to build its own super indy in NXT.

Yuriy posted:

well good for them

I assume it goes back to the old "Why pay two people for the job one can do?" thing and how WWE generally has no interest in anyone they don't see as a possible breakout superstar.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Tag team wrestling in the 'E has been bad and extremely formulaic for like 15 years.

i dunno, i was watching during the smackdown six

i dont remember what years E&C/Dudleys/Hardys was but that poo poo owned too

werent all those teams like really, really over?

thanks for the answers btw

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What's really interesting is hearing that Talking Shop from a while back where the conversation takes a surprisingly serious turn and the Bucks are discussing their fears and concerns about their long term financial security, and whether they'll be able to support their families. They come across as goofy dudes who just do whatever the gently caress and don't give a poo poo when they're wrestling, but it's obvious they think seriously about their careers, and I imagine their choice to decline WWE's offer was a carefully thought out one and not some spur of the moment,"We're gonna live forever!" foolishness.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

That's some amazing foresight on their part to go "Hey, you know that thing you do where you break up every single team hoping to pull the next Shawn Michaels out of the other guy's Marty Jannetty, then it doesn't work and both guys just kind of go away? Yeah, we're gonna need you to not do that." I can see why WWE would absolutely hate someone being smarter than them.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I thought one of the bucks said something on Twitter as a joke about turning down WWE recently.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Well according to Paul London when he and Kendrick used to go up to people and pitch story lines Shane McMahon told them that he ( or maybe Vince, I dunno) hasn't given a poo poo about a tag team since The Legion of Doom.

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.

Sex Robot posted:

Despite the incredibly lovely state of WWE at the moment. Can we all just pause for a moment and agree that we have Axelmania and we are all better off for having that :unsmith:

Axelmania rules and I hope he wins the Andre.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

21 Hoot Salute posted:

John Cena's gonna win, a huge American flag will unfurl at Levi's Stadium, the American national anthem will play as Cena rapadoos around the ring.

As a non-American, I'll probably be in the bathroom or cooking or something

One-night remix of his theme to go "Ameri-CA!"

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Sex Robot posted:

If the company wanted to capitalize on it in the slightest it would be incredibly easy to make him a permanently over midcarder.

They don't.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
Meltzer heavily hints that Cena and Bryan are going to win the undercard titles at Mania, leading into a Bryan vs. Ziggler feud as well.

Also:

quote:

An even stranger incident is that, at the door, they were apparently confiscating pro-Daniel Bryan signs. This broke in some places but two different people at the show confirmed it to us. According to those people, the security, when taking the signs, said that there were enough Daniel Bryan signs already. That is a first, taking signs for a popular babyface. They did allow “Turd” signs, including one on camera when Bryan was in the ring, playing off Smackdown where Ziggler and Ambrose called him a turd. Those in WWE didn’t know that was the case and believed it wasn’t the case. Really, if WWE wants to be in control of people on camera, they should do what WCW did in Atlanta, and just hire models and extras and put them in the front row in front of the hard camera so it made it look like they had a good looking audience and the paid fans were told who to cheer and who to boo. But once you’re selling those tickets for $100, and you don’t like how people dress, that’s really something. I know the excuse is you’re taping a television show, not a sports event, but if that’s the case, then do it like a TV show, don’t sell tickets, and give audience cues how to react. WCW actually did that too, when they would tape in Orlando.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Peter Bazooka posted:

Axelmania rules and I hope he wins the Andre.

It's really given Axel some personality. I don't think it has much staying power though.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Meltzer heavily hints that Cena and Bryan are going to win the undercard titles at Mania, leading into a Bryan vs. Ziggler feud as well.

Also:

Bellator does a similar thing in which they pay people to sit next to celebs and then move the gently caress out the way when they want them to, etc

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Yuriy posted:

i dunno, i was watching during the smackdown six

i dont remember what years E&C/Dudleys/Hardys was but that poo poo owned too

werent all those teams like really, really over?

thanks for the answers btw

E&C/Dudleys/Hardys was exactly 15 years ago. Smackdown Six was 12-13 years ago, but even those were just great upper mid carders slapped together. None of those teams lasted longer than a few months. Since then we've only had 2/3 of the Shield and

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Also:

Do you think they have any self-awareness that what they're doing to Bryan is exactly what they portrayed themselves as out-of-touch heels for last year?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

WWE still hasn't figured out that denying people what they want pisses them off and leads to that person getting more over. It's the same person too!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Codependent Poster posted:

WWE still hasn't figured out that denying people what they want pisses them off and leads to that person getting more over. It's the same person too!

It continuously baffles me that someone in charge of a product that depends entirely on listening to the desires of its fanbase is so staunchly opposed to the idea of listening to the desires of its fanbase.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Judging by that Triple H podcast with Austin, his attitude is "Sit down dummies, your payoff will come later when you're *really* mad about it." Which admittedly would be pretty fun if there actually is a long term goal here, like Brock pulling a Honkytonk Man and challenging anyone, so Bryan comes out and knees him to death, or something like that.

Of course there isn't a long term goal beyond Make Roman Look Strong. Hey, it's the same basic idea that's let them coast for ten years, why not?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

It continuously baffles me that someone in charge of a product that depends entirely on listening to the desires of its fanbase is so staunchly opposed to the idea of listening to the desires of its fanbase.

Don't worry, Vince is continuously baffled that the fanbase doesn't understand what they REALLY desire.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Mods please change my name to Kizarni Naré

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Codependent Poster posted:

bryan has been getting less over though. they finally beat it out of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
This situation is fascinating to watch unfold. They hate that Bryan is so over they are actively trying to sabotage him. WWE tells everyone over and over that if you are over, you'll have your time in the main event echelon. The doublespeak higher-ups within WWE comes to the conclusion that Bryan isn't over and it's only his catchphrase so they give it to other wrestlers. Bryan is so chill he'll say and do whatever the gently caress WWE tells him to do but if they bury him too much the vocal majority won't have any of it. Instead of running with what they got they are too headstrong to change their plans and potentially (time will tell) ruined an up and coming prospect due to their stubbornness. Best part is that it's all their fault and the Reigns/Lesnar match will no doubt be poo poo on and Reigns will be Sheamus'd for the next couple of months by proxy because he is not Daniel Bryan.

• Locked thread