Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Some of the things the PWA folks missed/didn't sperg out as much during their P/R thoughts:

- The line about Tommy gaining/losing powers multiple times was tied into the line about the Rangers being disbanded. He gained them, lost them, gained them back, and lost them 'in the truce'. Combined with the secret-looking funeral, there's a reasonable vibe that the Machine Empire demanded the Rangers sacrifice their powers as part of the 'We don't obliterate your world' deal.

- Rocky is only in the episode because they needed one more guy in it. Adam and Aiysha isn't in the movie because 90% of the eyeballs watching this only know Tommy, Jason, Kimberly, Trini, Zack, and Billy.

- They aren't in the Zord fighting during the flashback scene because that was part-and-parcel with the grimdark take on the whole thing. The Rangers here aren't doing coordinated movements from the safety of a giant robot, they are outside running around shooting at whatever off-camera is making the sky burn.

I thought I had more, but I forgot em while phone posting this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Well I guess that was a sort of interesting way to do an episode that was originally about Kyoryu Black failing to kill a monster that killed his friend.

Not sure why Luckiero is a robot though, I guess they deemed the Nutritious Joyo to be too silly with Sledge as the main villain but I'm unsure why he (I guess he's a dude in the English version) couldn't have been there from the start with the others. Also really curious to see what they're going to do with the Spirit Rangers, episode 5 was the first one where Ramirez appeared so that should be this weekend, I wonder if they're just going to save them for the end of the series and not have them linked to the Zords.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
And miss out on selling more toys? Never.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Just started Turbo. Is it as bad as everyone says it is ? It's been so long I don't remember.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

The new UNITE mobile card game soft-launched in Canada a few days ago apparently:
http://www.gamezebo.com/2015/03/11/power-rangers-unite-soft-launches-spans-22-seasons/

Any Canadians care to give their impressions? Would it be too much to ask for this to be anywhere near as good as Hearthstone? :pray:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

Just started Turbo. Is it as bad as everyone says it is ? It's been so long I don't remember.

Not really. It gets better in the second half though after the last remnants of the MMPR cast leave the series.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

In comparison to what came before and what comes after, it's not great

But it's no where near as awful as the later seasons like Overdrive

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Burkion posted:

In comparison to what came before and what comes after, it's not great

But it's no where near as awful as the later seasons like Overdrive

It didn't help that the source Sentai footage was incredibly silly, counter to the serious tone they were going for.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Good job of working around the Kyoryu footage. No sign of Ankydon or Cyan, but they did mention Gold.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So we just recorded three loving episodes where the longest one was 15 minutes and that was because I had to step away for a little while and GOD KNOWS how short it actually is.

gently caress trying to talk about fight episodes. gently caress trying to talk about fight episodes. I love fight episodes, makes me feel like a kid again, but gently caress discussing them.

We should not have to do two completely different summaries and read two different synopsises to try and fill time and NOT EVEN BREAK 10 MINUTES.

Goddamnit Power Rangers Lost Galaxy.

Also gently caress Mike. That's unrelated largely, but still needs to be said.

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

Best zords :colbert:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

It has tonal issues since they're doing a serious adaption of a series that was very tongue in cheek about how goofy Sentai is and only started getting good after four of the five rangers were replaced.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Testekill posted:

It has tonal issues ...
It's also the one that says 'gently caress dinosaurs or mythical ninja creatures, we be driving TRUCKSZZ; gently caress this Zordon guy bring in Mystic Enigma Woman; gently caress these actors from 1993, NEW BLOOD CHANGING OF THE GUARD; gently caress ugly scary enemies, we need goofy as gently caress fuckers everywhere'

It really broke with the conventions everyone expected. I'm pretty sure its the one with a 7 year old as a ranger, as well. And it led to a crossover with that terrible Ninja Turtles show. Its sins are many, but it also delivered onto us PRiS.

forgive the faulty memory there.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 19, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

It's also the one that says 'gently caress dinosaurs or mythical ninja creatures, we be driving TRUCKSZZ; gently caress this Zordon guy bring in Mystic Enigma Woman; gently caress these actors from 1993, NEW BLOOD CHANGING OF THE GUARD; gently caress ugly scary enemies, we need goofy as gently caress fuckers everywhere'

It really broke with the conventions everyone expected. I'm pretty sure its the one with a 7 year old as a ranger, as well. And it led to a crossover with that terrible Ninja Turtles show. Its sins are many, but it also delivered onto us PRiS.

That was in space that had the crossover.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I'd say Turbo/Carranger has the worst Zords of the original Saban era series(with Lightspeed Rescue, and Wild Force having the best)

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

drrockso20 posted:

I'd say Turbo/Carranger has the worst Zords of the original Saban era series(with Lightspeed Rescue, and Wild Force having the best)

Wild force was all CG crap. MMPR, Zeo and In Space had the best by far. God I loved Zeo.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Zeo was really the coolest thing to kid-B_o_T. Awesome new suits, awesome robots, awesome villains, and that cool theme song. Aww yeah.

Apparently Ohranger was totally poo poo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Zeo was really the coolest thing to kid-B_o_T. Awesome new suits, awesome robots, awesome villains, and that cool theme song. Aww yeah.

Apparently Ohranger was totally poo poo.

It's kind of the same issue as Carranger, where Ohranger became borderline parody and SUPER childish, which you can see in just the robot designs- original robots are well thought out, super detailed, look cool. The last robots are literally loving shapes with limbs.

Just Carranger knew what it wanted to be from the start, while Ohranger had to change because of real life stuff.

Zeo managed to keep way more consistent, and is honestly one of my favorite seasons of Power Rangers for just being a drat solid season of Tokusatsu. American, Japanese, doesn't matter, it's just quality.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
I've really got to know this but what the hell was the theme of the sentai that Dino Charge adapted? Was it really dinosaur battery themed like it is in the US?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

MadScientistWorking posted:

I've really got to know this but what the hell was the theme of the sentai that Dino Charge adapted? Was it really dinosaur battery themed like it is in the US?

Yes, but they danced to transform

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PstF3vJDmHw

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Yup, although the batteries themselves kinda got short shrift after the first handful of episodes.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Tae posted:

Yes, but they danced to transform

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PstF3vJDmHw
Wow Im surprised that they kept the announcer.

jivjov posted:

Yup, although the batteries themselves kinda got short shrift after the first handful of episodes.
Makes sense given that its one of the most absurd themes I have ever heard of in my passing interest of this genre.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Are the batteries in Dino Charge also powered by sheer stupidity and bull-headedness like Kyouryuuger's?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wow Im surprised that they kept the announcer.

Makes sense given that its one of the most absurd themes I have ever heard of in my passing interest of this genre.

As far as Toku gimmicks go, batteries aren't that far out there. The last season of Kamen Rider had fruit padlocks that conjured fruit-themed plate armor.

Are the batteries in Dino Charge also powered by sheer stupidity and bull-headedness BRAVERY like Kyouryuuger's?

FTFY

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Now granted, I haven't actually watched Dino Charge but Koryu Red basically fought his dinozord by sliding down a mountain, via a falling boulder he shot to make fall, then purposely got eaten to shoot the inside of his mouth to tame it in the first 10 minutes. Does Dino Charge Red do anything like that?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

jivjov posted:

As far as Toku gimmicks go, batteries aren't that far out there. The last season of Kamen Rider had fruit padlocks that conjured fruit-themed plate armor.

No the battery theme is a bit more absurd than fruit plate armor because I can see that going places and having room to play with.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

No the battery theme is a bit more absurd than fruit plate armor because I can see that going places and having room to play with.

They gave all the batteries different gimmicks like slowing down time, making huge fires, and cloning the user. Sadly most of the batteries are only used once or twice, but they get some fun scenes.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

jivjov posted:

They gave all the batteries different gimmicks like slowing down time, making huge fires, and cloning the user. Sadly most of the batteries are only used once or twice, but they get some fun scenes.

Also the fart battery

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Tae posted:

Now granted, I haven't actually watched Dino Charge but Koryu Red basically fought his dinozord by sliding down a mountain, via a falling boulder he shot to make fall, then purposely got eaten to shoot the inside of his mouth to tame it in the first 10 minutes. Does Dino Charge Red do anything like that?

No. Gabutyra (Tyranozord I think he's called here) gets mentioned as rampaging in the second episode but nothing comes of it and he's just tame as soon as Red arrives on the scene to fight the MotW.

Also yeah Jivjov how do you mention the meh batteries and completely overlook Ovirapoo? :v:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Are the batteries in Dino Charge also powered by sheer stupidity and bull-headedness like Kyouryuuger's?

No the Energems are hooked up and charge the Dino Chargers. Presumably so they aren't carrying the important plot macguffins on them all the time where they can be easily stolen.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Astro Nut posted:

Flurious and Moltor were, by implication if I recall correctly, due to the Sentinel Knight scattering the gems of the corona aurora back when Pangaea was a thing.

Admittedly, the really funny thing on how old Sledge and his crew are, is that it kinda makes the energems seem less impressive. I mean, yes, they're general macguffins, but their main applicable power so far is making people immortal - which practically wouldn't have even mattered to Sledge (since he didn't exactly plan on being stuck in deep space for 65 million years).

Yeah, Power Rangers on the whole seems to commit pretty hard to remixing the evil generals, starting from Zedd onward. Sometimes it works out okay- Divatox was cool in Turbo, and Ransik ended up being I think a more interesting villain (and character, in general) than Don Dolnero in Timeranger.

So, I can see why they wanted to change the design of the villain's main leader for Dino Charge. It's not too difficult to pull off, as he doesn't get in many fights personally, and his original design kind of screams "evil pope". I have to wonder if there's a general motion on the writing team to inject camp wherever possible, because "We all went into Cryosleep on the dark side of the moon until we detected Energems again" would have been way more straightforward than "lol Sledge just spent 65 million years arguing with his fiancee".

I dunno. Dino Charge isn't terrible, and I like most of the cast, for once. The only thing I'm bitter about is that they used some kind of terrible alien gnome muppet instead of just recycling the Torin costume.
Torin pretty much rules:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is there an RSS link for Podcasters With Attitude I can paste into my podcast program? It just can't find it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

greatn posted:

Is there an RSS link for Podcasters With Attitude I can paste into my podcast program? It just can't find it.

I will poke wade about it. At this point I'm not even sure if the website is up to date. Things are..hectic behind the scenes at PWA.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The website is still getting updated, i see alerts on Google now.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Every time Daigo went off about the team being the strongest braves in history, I just felt like Geronimo could have done a lot more with his own Pteragordon.

Just try to stop him!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, Power Rangers on the whole seems to commit pretty hard to remixing the evil generals, starting from Zedd onward. Sometimes it works out okay- Divatox was cool in Turbo, and Ransik ended up being I think a more interesting villain (and character, in general) than Don Dolnero in Timeranger.

So, I can see why they wanted to change the design of the villain's main leader for Dino Charge. It's not too difficult to pull off, as he doesn't get in many fights personally, and his original design kind of screams "evil pope". I have to wonder if there's a general motion on the writing team to inject camp wherever possible, because "We all went into Cryosleep on the dark side of the moon until we detected Energems again" would have been way more straightforward than "lol Sledge just spent 65 million years arguing with his fiancee".

I dunno. Dino Charge isn't terrible, and I like most of the cast, for once. The only thing I'm bitter about is that they used some kind of terrible alien gnome muppet instead of just recycling the Torin costume.
Torin pretty much rules:

I'm not a big fan of the Torrin costume, but gently caress is it leagues better than the Keeper costume. That thing if just so so bad.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
ET will be the best 10th ranger.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Being not a fan of Torin, that's like actively taking the side of evil. Why do you hate our freedoms?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

http://atopthefourthwall.com/history-of-power-rangers-power-rangers-rpm/

History of Power Rangers RPM is out for non-Patreons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Being not a fan of Torin, that's like actively taking the side of evil. Why do you hate our freedoms?

I pretty much hated Torin's costume too, even though his character was okay. It was the wings, they bounced back and forth whenever he made the slightest movement, making them look even faker than most stuff on these shows. The fact that his neck didn't move at all despite it being as big as it was wasn't great either. I think you're all lucky that he was replaced.