Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
when i think data replication i think of a db where things just randomly dont get written sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

They're planning a fix for that

quote:

Deployment of a Synereo node currently requires three core dependencies: JVM, MongoDB and RabbitMQ. However, there are plans for reducing all the Synereo deliverables to a single binary, with all the dependencies running in-process. Regardless of in-proc or external dependencies, Synereo will be delivered fully packaged, targeting Linux platforms initially (for all major distributions), with OS X and Windows platforms following suit. Any required services will be launched from the respective init system (e.g. systemd for Linux, plist for OS X, Windows services), thus requiring very little interaction from the user. Later releases targeting a general availability audience will have a matching user interface that simplifies usage for non-technical users, and does not require any command line knowledge. Synereo does not target full deployment on mobile clients at this phase, but will enable usage through centralised gateway service (see section 2.5.1).

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

jre posted:

:laffo: loving mongo db

they've got a murderer's row of technologies you couldn't pay me enough to work with going on there

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

quote:

Keys are exchanged opportunistically between nodes, and no certificate authority is used to verify certificate authenticity. This is due to the centralised nature of a CA, which goes against Synereo’s vision for a com- pletely decentralised network. Of course, the lack of certification authentication is ripe for man-in-the-middle (MITM) attacks. Generally speaking, secure com- munication between two peers without prior agreement on a shared secret is a hard problem that is pervasive across many applications. Some techniques can be used to reduce the attack surface of Synereo nodes, such as pinning known certificates for each node in a local cache, and raising errors on any fingerprint anomaly, similar to the behaviour used, for example, in the OpenSSH imple- mentations. Security-aware users can also make a habit of confirming node fingerprints upon first contact through an existing trusted channel. Later iter- ations might bring more attention to securing messages in transit in stronger ways that have more favourable trade-offs for the Synereo network.

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

"security is hard, so why even bother?"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
synereo is either a super villian or a super villian's self aware computer

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Joementum posted:

am i reading that right in that every query is being double-checked to ensure its result matches across nodes?

I know nothing of the project, but looking at the diagram it seems like it's one of those distributed setups like that greek-worded facebook likker. I'm guessing whatever node sends out a multicast to the entire network requesting some information, then the correct server responds.

• Of course, there's no chance that two servers could have conflicting data for the same key accidentally
  • And there's no chance someone could set up a malicious server to deliberately have the wrong data
  • And if there is conflicting data, I'm sure the system would properly handle it
  • And if that proper solution is a majority rule (either directly or through some other parity node, in which case see this exact same loop about parity being correct) then they have a solution in place for 51% attacks
  • And the network won't be completely bogged down with more than 10 users/servers
  • And a situation of 10000 servers will be easily supported by the network
  • If the solution to the 10000 servers is a distributed data key 'dns', it can surely be trusted to not suffer the same problems as the data lookup
  • And if the solution is instead a centralized dns, then surely there's some way it doesn't completely compromise the point of the system being distributed
  • And if the integrity is held to standard somehow, surely the centralized dns wouldn't be vulnerable to ddos attacks
  • And surely the well-protected dns server would easily support 100k users, let alone the orders of magnitude above that which facebook handle

e:'likker' is obviously 'killer', but I like it better that way

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Guys, guys, it's in the wiki. No need to worry.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

I'm aware this is !... levels of copy and paste but the whole later section is loving :allears:

quote:

Gen- erally speaking, a passive adversary who is interested in conducting censorship operations, and has access to internet routing equipment (such as ISPs, law enforcement authorities, governments and spy agencies) can easily distinguish between different types of internet traffic, even if data is encrypted, by looking at patterns of < SrcIP,SrcPort,DestIP,DestPort,Data > and making some intelligent guesses. P2P traffic, as well, can be analyzed in such a way. Thus, the first question is if Synereo traffic patterns can blend in with other P2P traf- fic, effectively making it very convenient to hide Synereo content in swathes of otherwise innocuous data. While not an insignificant effort, initial work to make Synereo more resilient to censorship will likely start with this target in mind. Additional efforts to conceal Synereo traffic can follow the path set by so-called “Pluggable Transports” which are used by the Tor network [56] to obfuscate Tor protocol traffic as a multitude of combinations of target protocols and providers such as SSL/TLS, Skype, Google and CloudFlare.
A persistent adversary that is interested in blocking Synereo at all costs will then have to consider blocking large portions of internet traffic, and deal with the political consequences of such an action. Wireless mesh networks to the rescue!

A government actor could do that, or you know DOS it out of existence instantly because its running on random VMs scattered round the internet.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

is there really something wrong with mongodb or is it just really stupid that it's not "stored to the blockchain" which kinda seems like the whole point

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hey man should we pay shutterstock :10bux: for some generic images of smiling people for the whitepaper of our company that will take down facebook?

nah, just grab some copyrighted character images from google images, nbd

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

jre posted:

Wireless mesh networks to the rescue!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

jre posted:

Wireless mesh networks to the rescue!

start the Buy Sealand fundraiser

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

PleasureKevin posted:

is there really something wrong with mongodb or is it just really stupid that it's not "stored to the blockchain" which kinda seems like the whole point

well its called "mongodb" for a start

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

it's fair use because it's parody, one assumes.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

PleasureKevin posted:

Depends whether you consider regularly losing your data to be that much of an issue

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

I am the misclicked circle tool stroke blotch in the upper left area

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

jre posted:

Depends whether you consider regularly losing your data to be that much of an issue

what version are you using

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

jre posted:

it's eventual consistency

nobody said it had to be consistent with the most recent changeset

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Ursine Asylum posted:

it's eventual consistency

nobody said it had to be consistent with the most recent changeset

Or it just shits the bed and corrupts the data set

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

see also elasticsearch

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PleasureKevin posted:

does anyone remember the now-defunct xbox live forum where you could go appeal your xbox live suspension publicly

except without fail, every time, the admins would shoot them down and publicly air their crimes

so you knew every huge diatribe explanation was just leading up to bigger embarrassment for the banned gamer posting

well anyway reading /r/bitcoin is like that, expect with he twist that not only did the exchange/market/network really truly unfairly ban/freeze/delete/flea or otherwise steam someone's bitcoins, but that someone was also selling meth to ISIS and deserved it

heres the archive of the site that collected it:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120103090733/http://whywasibanned.com/

:tipshat:

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
bitcoin: I hope dollar crashes so bad.
bitcoin: And now I am going to be sober for my birthday WHY WHY WHYYYYY
bitcoin: got a gun so who knows whats gonna happen to myself
bitcoin: gently caress sake, all the FBI have to do is nothing, we seem to be doing there job for them
bitcoin: Is it time we all just went back to buying and selling drugs in person?
bitcoin: that was all the money I had left over from the last time I was scammed
bitcoin: That's an amount that will get you killed, justifiably.
bitcoin: Thank the FBI for arresting the operators of legit marketplaces.
bitcoin: “DO NOT BUY HERE. VENDORS RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.”
bitcoin: super silkroad turbo EX plus alpha 2 vs capcom
bitcoin: gently caress you, got mine! gently caress! You got mine.

its been a good day

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm com-ing!

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Circle.com just froze my account and KEPT my bitcoins. I can't login anymore. (imgur.com)

submitted 6 hours ago by classna

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Robawesome posted:

Circle.com just froze my account and KEPT my bitcoins. I can't login anymore. (imgur.com)

submitted 6 hours ago by classna

Guess that move to Thailand to gently caress kids is costing more than airfare, chum.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

currency idea: bone whistles

you blow in the bone whistle and it's indicates how much it's worth.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
finally a robot social network for beep boop autists

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

has someone posted a summary of this forum thing yet

my guess is you have to install the forum software on your computer, which then does useless math problems, and when you get enough math points you can post to the blockchain mongoDB database and make a post. but then other computers try solve the problem or whatever before your post actually goes live.

is this right?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Attention economy is just code for another dark market to buy amphetamines from

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

mogodb is bad

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

FAUXTON posted:

Guess that move to Thailand to gently caress kids is costing more than airfare, chum.

op is from pakistan, and the blocked funds are in fact the free $10 bucks than circle gives away for registering a new account. poor guy, he was so happy about those 10 bucks...

quote:

[–]classna 3 points 7 months ago
I just received my circle invitation. The signup process was pretty quick and $9.99 was sitting there in my account. great job Circle (y)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PleasureKevin posted:

has someone posted a summary of this forum thing yet

my guess is you have to install the forum software on your computer, which then does useless math problems, and when you get enough math points you can post to the blockchain mongoDB database and make a post. but then other computers try solve the problem or whatever before your post actually goes live.

is this right?

its facebook
but decentralized
but it can also be centralized too
because everyone loves federated social networks!!!
also there's a bitcoin thing tacked on to measure "attention"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Magrov posted:

op is from pakistan, and the blocked funds are in fact the free $10 bucks than circle gives away for registering a new account. poor guy, he was so happy about those 10 bucks...

Lol with as bad as PK's AML/CTF efforts are why does he even need to use bitcoins?

E: and there's no way in hell he would have been able to sign up for an account unless he was using a proxy to get around the basic IP range block that all registered money transmitters/exchanges have in place. I doubt they'd even be able to operate legally if they weren't blocking high risk corridors at the IP level since it's such a threshold effort that auditors have a lot of questions for anyone that doesn't.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 19, 2015

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

FAUXTON posted:

Lol with as bad as PK's AML/CTF efforts are why does he even need to use bitcoins?

he's a crypto daytrader who one day will be driving a ferrari after selling the dogecoins he mined in his own computer.

quote:

[–]classna 1 point 1 year ago
Its not too late. Just buy some already! I only found out about bitcoin a month ago when they were $160 and the price was looking too high at that time but i bought anyway. 2-3 years from now they may be worth zero or i'll be driving a ferrari :)

[–]classna 1 point 1 year ago
I always see such crashes as an opportunity to buy more and i just did.

[–]classna 3 points 1 year ago
My computer sucks monkey balls but it still managed to mine 150 doges.. wow.. poor shibe is gonna be rich shibe :D

[–]classna -2 points 1 year ago
$99/month? wish an average day trader like me could make enough from trading to cover this.. thanks but no thanks

edit: poor guy. he was rejected by karpélès.

quote:

[–]classna 3 points 1 year ago
After being let down by bitstamp and mtgox because of their crazy verification process and the higher fees of BTC-e, i turned to Bitfinex.

Magrov fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 19, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"Two places blocked me due to jurisdictional risk, I didn't get the clue"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol, my government is infiltrated to the highest levels by terrorist organizations, why won't any of these american financial institutions help me?????

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Did anyone say shot down like bhuttocoin yet?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Boxturret posted:

im the g+ nazi

I think you got it wrong, Synero are the nazis and they make everyone who isn't in Synero wear armbands and probably tattooed numbers on them.

Be your own certificate authority.

PleasureKevin posted:

is there really something wrong with mongodb

I don't know anything about it but Big Data Borat uses it as the punch line for all of his jokes. Stupid name tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
mongodb is the one where it's "fast" because it doesn't make sure any data was committed to the database. a couple of bitcoin exchanges used it and you can guess what happened

• Locked thread