Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Once again Data East always ahead of the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr9esxotYSw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Mortality, the characters remind the players that they are condemned to die.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Nah... Roman Reigns is the best choice for MKX. I haven't played Immortals, but that Centurion costume looked really strong.

Mortal Kombat had this bland hero character, Liu Kang, who for years constantly won all the time despite being surrounded by far more interesting fighters. Then when they finally decided to take him out of the top spot, fans were all into them making Scorpion, the popular guy with the cool catchphrase, the main hero. Then instead, they shoved Shujinko down our throats and had him beat the big, unstoppable end boss, causing Scorpion to fall down the card. Even though Shujinko is totally lame and people like Scorpion more.

What I'm saying is that Shujinko is Roman Reigns.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Regality, everyone dresses up in fancy clothes and ask like kings and queens.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Real talk: It's probably going to be the faction kill.

I kinda hope it's hara-karis all over again, though.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Gavok posted:

Is Shujinko a bigger gently caress up than Raiden?

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Mortalities. Your character whispers to your opponent about the futility of life and the relative indifference the universe will remember them with, despite their level of excellence, their long lives, their multiple resurrections, their deityhood.

The match ends. Their character is staring out at stars, countless, endless stars, all ignorant of their life's achievements, of their struggles, their joys and woes. The event center clears out, the would-be champions go home, the hosts pack up all the machines and fighting sticks and televising equipment. Eventually they unplug the machine. The game does not save. The match is forgotten. That person, that moment in time is gone forever, and no one looks for it ever again. No one replicates it, no one cares. It was a drop of water in a sea that yawned with endlessness, as are we all.

Which makes it pretty great for totally dissing n00bs. Lol, who's the megafaggot now!?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Friends Are Evil posted:

Real talk: It's probably going to be the faction kill.

Probably, but I would really love for Babalities or Friendships to come back.

Or some kind of super-goofy thing where your character goes to do a finisher, and it becomes some ridiculous gag instead. Like Scorpion goes to rip off his mask and burn his opponent, but instead of revealing a skull under his mask, it's just another mask, and then he just... like... chases off his opponent by hitting them with the mask. Just go nuts with it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhonne posted:

Is Shujinko a bigger gently caress up than Raiden?

I would say that Raiden is a bigger gently caress up, but Shujinko is a bigger idiot. Raiden made a bunch of mistakes. Shujinko spent nearly his entire life listening to a glowing ball of light and not questioning anything.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I hope every character has a unique Kano Transformation finishing move.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Banality: the winner fucks up the loser with the loser's own fatality.

Reality: it turns out MK is just a dream the winner had, and now they must return to their boring life.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Musicality - The winner slips into sweet freeform jazz.

But in all seriousness, I really want to see some HD, current gen Friendships. Sure, the best one is just Johnny Cage's non-fatal victory pose, but that leaves room for him to have a second one.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Supersonic Shine posted:

Reality: it turns out MK is just a dream the winner had, and now they must return to their boring life.

Mortal Kombat is really Kidd Thunder staring at a snow globe.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I can only imagine Kidd Thunder came into being because Raiden is Mortal Kombat's version of Zeus and he only uses his god powers to bed mortal women because he sure isn't using them to save Earthrealm.

When they ask for chat questions on tomorrow's Kombat Kast, we need goons asking who Kidd Thunder's mother is.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Suspicious Cook posted:

But in all seriousness, I really want to see some HD, current gen Friendships. Sure, the best one is just Johnny Cage's non-fatal victory pose, but that leaves room for him to have a second one.

And have them be like legit Friendships too. Instead of the winner performing a thing while the opponent is just a dazed background character, the opponent gets in on it and they're all happy and they skip off together holding hands.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Gavok posted:

Mortal Kombat had this bland hero character, Liu Kang, who for years constantly won all the time despite being surrounded by far more interesting fighters. Then when they finally decided to take him out of the top spot, fans were all into them making Scorpion, the popular guy with the cool catchphrase, the main hero. Then instead, they shoved Shujinko down our throats and had him beat the big, unstoppable end boss, causing Scorpion to fall down the card. Even though Shujinko is totally lame and people like Scorpion more.

Does that make Johnny Cage Daniel Bryan or John Cena.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Dolph Ziggler.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Mortal Kombat thread who is the Stone Cold Steve Austin of Mortal Kombat

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Jamesman posted:

And have them be like legit Friendships too. Instead of the winner performing a thing while the opponent is just a dazed background character, the opponent gets in on it and they're all happy and they skip off together holding hands.

That's only one of them. Each Friendship would be unique, like Cassie would share her earbuds with the loser and they'd each listen to one with their heads together or Sub-Zero would make snowcones for he and his new friend to share or Quan Chi would give the other guy a ride on his Dreadsteed. :allears:

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Rookersh posted:

Does that make Johnny Cage Daniel Bryan or John Cena.

the miz and damien mizdow

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
In a rare show of humility Johnny Cage apologizes to Sonya for messing up their marriage, Sonya forgives him, they share a hug and agree to bury the hatchet, the disembodied ghost of Shao Kahn groans and rises from Hell just to say "Friendship? Really?"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

AnonSpore posted:

Mortal Kombat thread who is the Stone Cold Steve Austin of Mortal Kombat

Shao Kahn is into skulls, trash talk and punching his wife.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Suspicious Cook posted:

That's only one of them. Each Friendship would be unique, like Cassie would share her earbuds with the loser and they'd each listen to one with their heads together or Sub-Zero would make snowcones for he and his new friend to share or Quan Chi would give the other guy a ride on his Dreadsteed. :allears:

I'm still upset they changed Quan Chi's intro and got rid of his dreadsteed. :(

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Gavok posted:

Anyone who watches VGCW knows that Scorpion is the hardest-working ninja in sports entertainment.

I watched the Iron Man match between Scorpion and Ash live. It was awesome.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gavok posted:

Shao Kahn is into skulls, trash talk and punching his wife.

The hammer automatically makes him Triple H.

Kano is clearly Austin.

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

In a rare show of humility Johnny Cage apologizes to Sonya for messing up their marriage, Sonya forgives him, they share a hug and agree to bury the hatchet, the disembodied ghost of Shao Kahn groans and rises from Hell just to say "Friendship? Really?"

I didn't think about it what with all the patricide, but MKX is a game in which the hero can murder his ex-wife. That's kind of hosed up.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

TheMaskedChemist posted:

I didn't think about it what with all the patricide, but MKX is a game in which the hero can murder his ex-wife. That's kind of hosed up.

In Mortal Kombat X, players will be given the opportunity to rip their own daughters apart bare-handed while quoting Stanley Kubrick's The Shining.

Phil Niekro fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 19, 2015

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This game is starting to make me feel really uncomfortable.

They need Friendships to even out all this hosed up family murder.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Sindel has been able to horribly murder her daughter for years and no one ever said anything, but now when Johnny does, suddenly it's too much for you!

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

i was always partial to making jax/sonya fatality each other, best friends and members of the same combat unit

no mercy

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Rhonne posted:

Sindel has been able to horribly murder her daughter for years and no one ever said anything, but now when Johnny does, suddenly it's too much for you!

Yea, Liu Kang & Kung Lao are basically brothers. Sonya & Jax. Any of the good guy characters beating each other up. Kitana vs Mileena. Sindel vs Kitana.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Rhonne posted:

To be fair, mind control/really hosed up parenting was involved throughout most of that.

Kung Lao/Liu Kang, Liu Kang/Raiden, or Sonya/Jax were always the really strange ones.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
They're all still jacked up on that battle rage poo poo from MK vs DC.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Jerkface posted:

Yea, Liu Kang & Kung Lao are basically brothers. Sonya & Jax. Any of the good guy characters beating each other up. Kitana vs Mileena. Sindel vs Kitana.

Yeah but come on. It's not like Sindel lovingly nurtured Kitana through infancy and childhood, Sindel is the murderous bride of the former emperor of Outworld. Same with Mileena and Kitana, there's clearly no love lost there. They weren't sharing bunk beds and staying up late talking about boys they liked. They fuckin' hate each other. And poo poo, I didn't even realize that Liu Kang and Kung Lao were related. But Johnny Cage is likeable as heck, and Cassie seems to take after her dad in that regard, so the thought of Cassie ripping her dad's jaw off and taking a selfie with his dying corpse creeps me out way more.

I kind of see the Jax/Sonya thing but I guess it gets a pass from me because they're not family. Lots of the Kast are friends or colleagues or partners, but Mortal Kombat is Mortal Kombat. I don't think we've ever seen Earthrealm heroes brutally dismember and humiliate fellow family members in this series before.

Rookersh posted:

To be fair, mind control/really hosed up parenting was involved throughout most of that.

Kung Lao/Liu Kang, Liu Kang/Raiden, or Sonya/Jax were always the really strange ones.

Liu Kang/Raiden is not strange to me at all. Raiden might as well have tried to kill Liu himself with all the loving up he's done, and it sounds like Liu Kang trying to kill Raiden will actually be cannon in this MK, as it probably should have been long ago with all his bumbling.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The new fight-ender will be 'Romance' and doing it unlocks the child of the two characters involved. Any two characters.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
this game definitely takes it to another level but its like whatevs. i cant wait to see the pregame banter for all the related kharaks

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

Kelp Plankton posted:

The new fight-ender will be 'Romance' and doing it unlocks the child of the two characters involved. Any two characters.

Mortal Kombat x Fire Emblem confirmed!!

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Gavok posted:

...my god.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

This is the actual best idea. Like someone punches Jax so hard he wakes up and he's a desk jockey at the police office and he fell asleep eating a donut.

I have never really spent much time with a Mortal Kombat game outside of playing it in arcades a few times and getting an Injustice Steam key on a shady third-party site if that counts. I think depending on how the DLC characters shake out I might sink for MKX.

(My #1 wish is for playable Art Lean)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Gavok posted:

Scorpion is Daniel Bryan...no..no..

• Locked thread