Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Troi at least had that cool Romulan episode, Pulaski just followed Data around and made fun of his autism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

I don't honestly know why everyone seems to hate pulaski

better than fuckin Troi, christ

She was a bitch to Data and arrogant. It didn't jive with the perfect utopia of the future. And yes, Troi was pretty insufferable. If the episode focuses on her, just skip it. Same with Crusher.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

I don't honestly know why everyone seems to hate pulaski

better than fuckin Troi, christ

dr crusher wasn't even remotely interesting while pulaski at least had a personality

the only thing troi was good for was sensing if the bad guy was lying

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Too bad Pulaski wasnt DS9s doctor, then she could become BFFs with Odo

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
^^ You leave Dr. Bashir alone. :mad:

Parallax Scroll posted:

dr crusher wasn't even remotely interesting while pulaski at least had a personality

Troi: "Captain, I feel that this man is not being very honest."
No One Ever: "No poo poo, Troi, go sit down before you fall down"

The episode where she chastised the other Betazoid for using his powers to do better negotiations during that worm hole thing was great. He shut her up pretty quick pointing out her hypocrisy. If you have a talent, use it. To not use it is stupid.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
You'd never think having like mind reading powers could be boring, but welp Troi lol

Troi's annoying mother was a better character than Troi, poo poo

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 251 days!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZEdDMQZaCU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I sense you're calling someone nerdy.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

dMastri posted:

Kirk said he would die alone and he didn't and also a bridge killed him so what part of that was good or true to lore

Kirk was not psychic, I could say I know that I know I'm going to die of an ice cream sandwich and that doesn't make it so.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

Gutcruncher posted:

Troi at least had that cool Romulan episode, Pulaski just followed Data around and made fun of his autism.

Dr. Pulaski was a goon before goons

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Please do not skip the season 2 episode: The Measure of a Man.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

a matter of honor

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i mean... shades of grey

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
BRB replicating a spine.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Parallax Scroll posted:

Star trek was a show for autists, so empathy is considered a racial superpower

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Dr Crusher fell in love with a ghost

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

dMastri posted:

Dr Crusher fell in love with a ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugGMuerczzI

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Wesley Crusher's series spanning ark was him being groomed by a space paedophile.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Honestly season 1 & 2 are great in that campy way the original series was great

so basically if you're high

Also though it's important to remember this is 80s television. Season 3 started in 1989. has any 80s television aged well?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Gutcruncher posted:

Pulaski was originally brought on to be the anti-McCoy to Data's anti-Spock. Spock was the half-other trying to be other while McCoy tried to pull him back. Data was the other trying to be human while Pulaski thought it was a waste of time.

Pulaski was supposed to think Data was better off trying to be uniquely himself and trying to be the best android he could be instead of going on a quixotic quest to be human. The writers failed to convey this. It would have made for an interesting dynamic.

Pulaski was also supposed to serve the McCoy role of being confidant to the captain for soul-searching scenes. Troi did a little of this early on but was too subservient to challenge Picard. Pulaski was intended to come on board and irritate Picard because she was strong-willed and willing to contradict him but the writers often made her seem more petty then strong-willed. They ended up using Guinan as the captain's sounding board for emotional conflict.

I wish they had given Pulaski a few more seasons and some better writing. I think she could have been a good character and a good foil for Picard and Data.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Xenocides posted:

Pulaski was supposed to think Data was better off trying to be uniquely himself and trying to be the best android he could be instead of going on a quixotic quest to be human. The writers failed to convey this. It would have made for an interesting dynamic.

Data's quest was so stupid, he clearly had emotions and I wish someone, anyone told him this. I wonder if the writers even realized how they were writing him

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

ChickenRiceNPeas posted:

Kirk was not psychic, I could say I know that I know I'm going to die of an ice cream sandwich and that doesn't make it so.

Except they were movies, having character say random poo poo for no reason doesn't really add anything. Like the row row row your boat scene. Wait a second, gently caress Star Trek.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

pulaski wouldnt have been as hot doing space yoga

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Vorik posted:

so how come people say the first 2 or 3 seasons of this show are trash

i watched like an ep or two of season 1 and it was so bad i have a hard time the show ever gets good

same reason they say simpsons s1 is bad - groupthink and they haven't actually watched them in years. s1 tng has a really uncomfortable , dark atmosphere with some fresh ideas. its a bit more story-driven than the later seasons which are all about the characters. it owns and i will defend its honour on gbs until the day i die.

edit lol i so read y our post wrong, i thought you said s1 was good. in short, gently caress you.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hackbunny posted:

Data's quest was so stupid, he clearly had emotions and I wish someone, anyone told him this. I wonder if the writers even realized how they were writing him

I always thought that was funny too. Spock clearly had emotions he kept in check, but he was supposed to. Data.. there's no reason for Data to do half the things he did without them.

Shadow posted:

I loved BSG. But yeah, that finale was a huge let down.

Someone said it but it's the Lost effect. Packing on the mysteries is cute and all but you need to have a direction for their resolution. If you just hand wave "we'll figure it out later" you're a piece of poo poo.

A piece of poo poo, I say.

Nothing but truth.

Every time they went to a religious / mystery episode in the last couple seasons I barely managed to get through it going "Oh, gently caress this" the whole time because none of it would ever add up.

Literally the only good episodes in the last season was the mutiny. Because it was like the old show people liked in the first place.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 19, 2015

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

dMastri posted:

Honestly season 1 & 2 are great in that campy way the original series was great

so basically if you're high

Also though it's important to remember this is 80s television. Season 3 started in 1989. has any 80s television aged well?

Cheers.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

No poo poo, Cheers is loving hysterical.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Mash's finale was in the 80's and being that it is one of the best Tv show finales of all time I think that counts as a win for the 80's

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Go figure. R*alp's a Trek fan.

Join the club!

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Yaos posted:

Except they were movies, having character say random poo poo for no reason doesn't really add anything. Like the row row row your boat scene. Wait a second, gently caress Star Trek.

It's character development.

Besides, the line at the beginning of the movie does nothing more than set up the scene at the end on the Klingon bridge where Spock tells Kirk he was never really alone and thus discovering that friendship is magic, or something like that.

Improper Umlaut fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 19, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

hard counter posted:

They had to give everyone big promotions, sometimes two steps, because they were gone for 7 years.

Just ignore the fact that people like Riker have been at their original rank for 15.

Riker refused promotion because it would mean leaving the ship. He sacrificed his career so he could keep loving around and playing trombone all day.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Troi: *I'm feeling something strange and upsetting. Better not tell anyone, it's probably nothing.*

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I really don't like old trek anymore, and while the two new movies were entertaining, they were fluff and forgettable.

I'm no longer a Trekkie.

Star Wars, otoh, wow!

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Yeah the new movies don't feel like Star Trek. They seem like inside jokes to Trek fans and cool special effects.

I first thought it was clever they reboot the story. Then they released the second one and it was clear they really are calling in the script.

Oh well.

I'd rather another show. DS9 style but not necessarily on a space station.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Joss Whedon new Trek is the only new Trek I'd trust to be any good.

OMG! This elfen ensign can easily fight half a dozen klingons!

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

a new actual trek TV series is my dream. it's insane to think that we won't see another one.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

opus111 posted:

a new actual trek TV series is my dream. it's insane to think that we won't see another one.

Didn't the last one poison the well pretty bad?

I mean another one may be possible based on recognition alone but they better knock it out of the park

gently caress those JJ Abrams movies tho

Wait..... ehhhhh gently caress em, yeah

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Let's see what Worf's kid is up to lately

drat lol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Didn't the last one poison the well pretty bad?

I mean another one may be possible based on recognition alone but they better knock it out of the park

gently caress those JJ Abrams movies tho

Wait..... ehhhhh gently caress em, yeah

I think it was the combination of Voyager's lack luster final seasons, Enterprise's disaster, and the two terrible TNG movies that really put the dagger in the TV franchise - but that's like many years to gently caress poo poo up.

It's been a while since Enterprise ended though. I bet someone tries again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lord of Pie posted:

Let's see what Worf's kid is up to lately

drat lol

Worf was a bad dad.

• Locked thread