Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
IT'S MARCH HOW HYPE ARE YOU
This poll is closed.
HYPE 14 13.86%
REAL HYPE 37 36.63%
ehn 8 7.92%
Seriously ban anyone who picks #3 42 41.58%
Total: 101 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
DO NOT POST ABOUT YOUR BRACKET IN THIS THREAD NO ONE EXCEPT YOU CARES AT ALL. THERE IS A BRACKET THREAD FOR THAT. DOING SO COULD LEAD TO PROBATION DEPENDING ON HOW I FEEL. gently caress DUKE

It's Motherfucking March Madness
(no I don't count the play-in games, shut up)

Welcome to this year's tournament! 64 teams will be fighting to the death* for your viewing pleasure. As always, the best part of March Madness is the initial orgy of games all going on at once. Let's take a look at today's schedule, courtesy of Yahoo!. I've bolded games I think are important based on the metric of me shrugging and feeling like they're going to be important. Deal with it :smugdog:

(* will probably not actually die except for UCLA)

MW No.14 Northeastern vs. MW No.3 Notre Dame
(It's the first game!)
Consol Energy Center (Pittsburgh, PA)
Thursday, March 19 12:15 pm
CBS

S No.14 UAB vs. S No.3 Iowa St.
KFC Yum! Center (Louisville, KY)
Thursday, March 19 12:40 pm
truTV

W No.14 Georgia St. vs. W No.3 Baylor
Veterans Memorial Arena (Jacksonville, FL)
Thursday, March 19 1:40 pm
TBS

W No.15 Texas So. vs. W No.2 Arizona
Moda Center (Portland, Ore.)
Thursday, March 19 2:10 pm
TNT

MW No.11 Texas vs. MW No.6 Butler
Thursday, March 19 2:45 pm
CBS

S No.11 UCLA vs. S No.6 SMU
(UCLA is losing and it'll be hilarious)
Thursday, March 19 3:10 pm
truTV

No.11 Ole Miss vs. W No.6 Xavier
Thursday, March 19 4:10 pm
TBS

W No.10 Ohio St. vs. W No.7 VCU
(VCU has a known history of losing games they should win in hilarious fashion.)
Thursday, March 19 4:40 pm
TNT

E No.16 Lafayette vs. E No.1 Villanova
(Late Edit: Upon further review, it turns out Lafayette is in Pennsylvania. Still the best 16-over-1 possibility.)
Thursday, March 19 6:50 pm
TBS

MW No.9 Purdue vs. MW No.8 Cincinnati
(Why not)
Thursday, March 19 7:10 pm
CBS

W No.13 Harvard vs. W No.4 N. Carolina
Thursday, March 19 7:20 pm
TNT

S No.12 SF Austin vs. S No.5 Utah
(:siren: 5/12 Upset Alert :siren:)
Thursday, March 19 7:27 pm
truTV

E No.9 LSU vs. E No.8 NC State
Thursday, March 19 9:20 pm
TBS

No.16 Hampton vs. MW No.1 Kentucky
(Let's go Pirates)
Thursday, March 19 9:40 pm
CBS

W No.12 Wofford vs. W No.5 Arkansas
(I like saying "Wofford")
Thursday, March 19 9:50 pm
TNT

S No.13 E. Wash. vs. S No.4 Georgetown
Thursday, March 19 9:57 pm
truTV

Most (all?) games are available online here. Live scoreboard is here. This is the one time of the year that like 75%+ workplaces don't mind if you watch TV online. Take advantage of it!

In conclusion: Let's go Pirates, let's go Anteaters, and at all times, in all ways, gently caress Duke.

e: UC Irvine's mascot is named Peter the Anteater. Their stadium is Anteater Stadium. UC Irvine is going to win the tournament because of this.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
mods plz insert "GDT" into the title, tia

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
gently caress a Blazer. God Bless.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

and at all times, in all ways, gently caress Duke

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I have a meeting that starts right as the ISU game is supposed to end. I hope they don't need another loving comeback to win one against UAB.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
EDIT: ^^^^ sup meeting buddy. I hope you weren't dumb like me and actually CHOOSE to schedule it like that.

Yay!

I have a meeting as soon as the Arizona game ends so Arizona better make it a blowout :colbert:

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

gently caress the fighting Alfords. Shouldn't even be there. Let's go SMU!

Also, obligatory gently caress Duke.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Larry Brown and Steve Alford are two of my least favorite people in all of basketball and I hate that I have to root for one. But also go Larry.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

This weekend, we are all Robert Morris fans. I think UK fans actually have a special place in our hearts for Bobby Morris since we know that the UK they beat team was a huge disappointment waiting to happen.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

EDIT: ^^^^ sup meeting buddy. I hope you weren't dumb like me and actually CHOOSE to schedule it like that.

Yay!

I have a meeting as soon as the Arizona game ends so Arizona better make it a blowout :colbert:

It was scheduled like a month ago, and not by me. I'll still be watching the first half from my work computer though.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Meltathon posted:

It was scheduled like a month ago, and not by me. I'll still be watching the first half from my work computer though.

An idiot I work with scheduled a presentation by a big name speaker for the middle of the WVU game, which is also the Friday before spring break. When informed this was a bad idea if he wanted anyone to attend it, he seemed to think that his talk was way more important and that people were being silly for thinking that those factors would contribute.

I've already made it known I am not sticking around for the talk.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
My expectations are low for Ohio State, but at least we'll be able to play small against VCU. The less amir and McDonald are on the floor, the better.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
It's the time of year when I have to figure out what channel TRUtv is

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's the time of year when I have to figure out what channel TRUtv is

If you have a supported android phone, the smart remote app is really useful for this kind of thing. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tv.peel.smartremote&hl=en

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

MourningView posted:

Larry Brown and Steve Alford are two of my least favorite people in all of basketball and I hate that I have to root for one. But also go Larry.

What's wrong with Larry Brown?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

gently caress Duke GDT: gently caress Duke

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

SA2K posted:

What's wrong with Larry Brown?

He's a gigantic dickhead, plays boring basketball, and managed to blame LeBron (who, basketball genius that he is, he mostly kept glued to the bench) for the way he botched a US Olympic team in embarassing fashion.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

MourningView posted:

He's a gigantic dickhead, plays boring basketball, and managed to blame LeBron (who, basketball genius that he is, he mostly kept glued to the bench) for the way he botched a US Olympic team in embarassing fashion.

Is that why they went from Brown to Coach K? Genuinely curious.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

SA2K posted:

They didn't have a permanent coach the way they do with Coach K now, they used to just pick an NBA guy to do it for one cycle with diminishing returns until it finally completely collapsed in the Larry Brown period. Colangelo and Coach K pretty much remade the whole system from the ground up after they got bronze in Greece (and also got all of the star players to buy into playing again, but even the teams without that have been a lot better recently)

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Go teams on my bracket especially Duke

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Nova is going out in the second round like they always do

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

turner sports: "the NCAA made an egregious mistake letting dayton play on their own court"

the next day

"Kentucky has 10,000 fans here in Louisville"

*everyone at turner sports whistles, looks at floor*

triple sulk posted:

Nova is going out in the second round like they always do
yep

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

^^^There's a difference between playing in your homeish town and playing on your home court. Dayton playing on their home court was dumb.

Brown said he thought Kentucky would make the playoffs in the NBA Eastern Conference this year. I mean honestly that is surprising coming from someone who seems to know the college and NBA game. That's the sort of thing you hear from some dumbass at the bar.

Is he actually right or just being sensationalistic and ridiculous? I lean toward the latter.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Scrapez posted:

Brown said he thought Kentucky would make the playoffs in the NBA Eastern Conference this year. I mean honestly that is surprising coming from someone who seems to know the college and NBA game. That's the sort of thing you hear from some dumbass at the bar.

Is he actually right or just being sensationalistic and ridiculous? I lean toward the latter.
Consider how many players drafted into the NBA even in the first round ever do anything and think long and hard about the answer

Scrapez posted:

^^^There's a difference between playing in your homeish town and playing on your home court.
No not really

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Scrapez posted:

This happens every year and as always it is stupid as hell. Towns is the only guy on Kentucky with a shot to be an NBA star and he'd be bad if he were in the league right now. Booker and WCS could be rotation guys and a couple other big guys could be end of the bench guys right now, but the backcourt would be awful aside from Booker. The Harrison Twins are terrible and Tyler Ullis is 4 feet tall.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zakharov posted:

Go teams on my bracket especially Duke

As always No One Cares About Your Dumb Bracket.

There is a bracket thread if you want to talk about it, please keep it out of the GDT

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

zakharov posted:

Go teams on my bracket and gently caress Duke

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MourningView posted:

There is a bracket thread if you want to talk about it, please keep it out of the GDT

Pretending people care about his bracket is the better half of that post.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

MourningView posted:

This happens every year and as always it is stupid as hell. Towns is the only guy on Kentucky with a shot to be an NBA star and he'd be bad if he were in the league right now. Booker and WCS could be rotation guys and a couple other big guys could be end of the bench guys right now, but the backcourt would be awful aside from Booker. The Harrison Twins are terrible and Tyler Ullis is 4 feet tall.

I forget where I heard it recently, but someone connected to Vegas said that every NBA D League team would be favored over Kentucky

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Washington Generals would be favored over Kentucky

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

SA2K posted:

What MV said + Brown tried to play stupid mind games with Lebron and some other players. He was in negotiations to take over as president of Cleveland the next year, in starting the program from scratch Colangelo wanted a coach without an NBA agenda.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SA2K posted:

I forget where I heard it recently, but someone connected to Vegas said that every NBA D League team would be favored over Kentucky

Even the Knicks? :shobon:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

SA2K posted:

Almost without question. Even if they don't have the star power they're still better on average and they're all way farther along physically and have the benefit of getting professional training from professional coaches.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

MourningView posted:

That will be my only bracket post I can assure you

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

It's funny because every year I forget how competitive and downright awesome this tournament is. It's like no matter what happens during the game, the majority end up competitive games at the end. The first four this year have already been really good games.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

tadashi posted:

This weekend, we are all Robert Morris fans. I think UK fans actually have a special place in our hearts for Bobby Morris since we know that the UK they beat team was a huge disappointment waiting to happen.

Yeah, I wasn't even mad when Robert Morris beat UK that year. It was hilarious and the most appropriate way to end that season.

In short, gently caress Duke.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

An idiot I work with scheduled a presentation by a big name speaker for the middle of the WVU game, which is also the Friday before spring break. When informed this was a bad idea if he wanted anyone to attend it, he seemed to think that his talk was way more important and that people were being silly for thinking that those factors would contribute.

I've already made it known I am not sticking around for the talk.

See if you can get someone to take a picture of the low low attendance.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Meltathon posted:

See if you can get someone to take a picture of the low low attendance.

I'll have to pop in and setup everything for the recording :(

Catholic Hooker
Mar 30, 2007

Mothafuckin March Madness! Bring it on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Lollin at the title change

Also the OP change. Does that mean I get to probate people?! :neckbeard:

• Locked thread