Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Graham Norton is great though so if thats what they're going for that's a good sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Don't forget that Josh Robert Thompson will on tonight with Drew on the LLS.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just a reminder: Conan's Cuba episode is on tonight! :dance:

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
That was easily one of the best things he's ever done and completely worth the weeks of hype. All the Cuban dogs that absolutely hated him was killing me.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 5, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Yeah, Conan knocked it out of the park. If there was any problem with the episode, it's that he really made me want to visit a country I still can't legally travel to.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is there anywhere to see it online yet, or do I have to wait for tomorrow night?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Is there anywhere to see it online yet, or do I have to wait for tomorrow night?

You can wait till around 11 am CST? Then again, I realize normal people might have work.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
The first four minutes is up on Youtube, I cannot wait to see the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjfogiltO80

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Gretel from the rum museum :kimchi: looks like the future daughter of Mila Kunis and Matt Damon.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Mister Kingdom posted:

Don't forget that Josh Robert Thompson will on tonight with Drew on the LLS.

Here it is in case anyone missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt-vF7JjoV0

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Conan with the language students :haw:

Edit: and Gretel is gorgeous

Iowa Snow King fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 14, 2015

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003
Article on one of Corden's test shows:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2995137/James-Corden-s-dress-rehearsal-Late-Late-fails-impress.html

A couple images from Corden's test shows from that article:

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
To the complete shock of no-one, especially those who actually knew who Corden was already.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'd really love to eventually find out what the thought process behind picking him in the first place was.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Chand0X posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2995137/James-Corden-s-dress-rehearsal-Late-Late-fails-impress.html

Holy poo poo, I hadn't seen that clip of Letterman ripping Corden a new one when Regis hosted the LLS.
That was awkward.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Chand0X posted:

Horrible set. I'm trying to recall another show where the guests sit to the right besides Graham Norton.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's amazing that late-night shows deliberately appear to employ the same exact look, not just in hosts, but in sets as well.

It's so weird to compare with British shows like Norton, Ross, Parkinson, and (Alan) Carr whose sets are completely distinct.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

I understand Corden isn't exactly one of the good guys, but this article reads like a straight-up hatchet job; a Nelson Muntz laugh disguised as a gossip article. Conan's first couple of years were rough. Jimmy Fallon's first run might as well have been "Late Night With Jimmy's Flopsweat." I've got no doubt that Corden's going to suck out of the gate, but that in no way precludes a great show down the line. This is just mean and needlessly hurtful.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

I understand Corden isn't exactly one of the good guys, but this article reads like a straight-up hatchet job; a Nelson Muntz laugh disguised as a gossip article. Conan's first couple of years were rough. Jimmy Fallon's first run might as well have been "Late Night With Jimmy's Flopsweat." I've got no doubt that Corden's going to suck out of the gate, but that in no way precludes a great show down the line. This is just mean and needlessly hurtful.
The worst part of it is that it's not so much manufactured chaos as much as it's taking some minor problems and blowing them out of proportion. Of course dude's going to be nervous as hell, and of course you'll be able to find people who don't love him out of the gate.

And there are worse things than bombing anyway - the tradition of coasting on name recognition by the likes of Letterman, Leno, and Conan is so much worse.

I guess George Lopez managed to combine both, though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Horrible set. I'm trying to recall another show where the guests sit to the right besides Graham Norton.

Comedy Bang Bang is the only one coming to mind, and that one doesn't even count, really.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

quote:

U.S TV bosses are so worried American audiences will be baffled by his accent and jokes that they've staged practice runs

...don't they do practice runs for like every show that has an audience before it premieres? I mean, I'm sure he'll be terrible, but that's nothing out of the ordinary?

Also, lol at "The Late, Late Show – one of America’s top talk shows"

ufarn posted:

It's amazing that late-night shows deliberately appear to employ the same exact look, not just in hosts, but in sets as well.

It's so weird to compare with British shows like Norton, Ross, Parkinson, and (Alan) Carr whose sets are completely distinct.

Those shows are also weekly, not nightly.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

...don't they do practice runs for like every show that has an audience before it premieres? I mean, I'm sure he'll be terrible, but that's nothing out of the ordinary?

Its like panning a Broadway show that's still in previews. The whole loving point of previews/test shows is to iron out the kinks before the premiere.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I just watched the Conan in Cuba special and I couldn't help but be disappointed by the lack of Andy. Was it ever explained on the show after or anything? I know Conan usually does remote stuff by himself but it would've been cool for Andy to be there too. Anyway, I kind of stopped watching Conan last year some time so if the reason was given I missed it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They had no idea if they were even going to get in and they almost didn't. I think Conan only took a couple of people there with him in order to make it easier.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DivisionPost posted:

Conan's first couple of years were rough. Jimmy Fallon's first run might as well have been "Late Night With Jimmy's Flopsweat." I've got no doubt that Corden's going to suck out of the gate, but that in no way precludes a great show down the line. This is just mean and needlessly hurtful.

I think that's actually part of the process though. You're put through the wringer. Conan was constantly about to be fired. Fallon was a punchline.

The whole process of trial by fire was hilariously played up in "Louie".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwUmXT3RJCM

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Why they picked Corden I have no idea. This is the only time I've seen him attempt to interview major stars, and it's a total car crash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EUs58ixKmo

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Answers Me posted:

Why they picked Corden I have no idea. This is the only time I've seen him attempt to interview major stars, and it's a total car crash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EUs58ixKmo

They both have a look on their faces like "who the gently caress is this guy and why is he sitting with us"

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

DivisionPost posted:

I understand Corden isn't exactly one of the good guys, but this article reads like a straight-up hatchet job; a Nelson Muntz laugh disguised as a gossip article.

It's kind of hard to explain the grotesque loathing and contempt that's built into the way the UK press reports on celebrities, and the Mail is one of the worst. Imagine that the Wall Street Journal had a section on celebrities with content entirely provided by TMZ and the National Enquirer.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

InfiniteZero posted:

Fallon was a punchline.

Was?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

It's hard to look at what he has become over time without thinking that he really grew into his role. He was a loving mess when he started and now he's great at what he does. He made the tonight show his, and has done a great job of it. I don't watch it, it's not my thing, but he's hardly a punch line. It's impossible for me to look at Fallon hosting the tonight show now and not see how great he is at it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah even if Fallon's not your cup of tea he's made the show relevant which is something it hasn't been in over 20 years except for the short time period when they took it away from Conan and his last few weeks were glorious. Fallon is pretty loving great at being a late night host and is making a good, fun, successful show. And by all accounts loving every second of it and not just running through the motions like Leno did for years. But I can understand that some people won't find him all that great because he's not their ideal host or they don't like his brand of comedy. It's the same reason I get why Conan was a failure of a host even though I loved his short run. It's why I get that people loved Craig Ferguson even if I never did care for him.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Deadpool posted:

Yeah even if Fallon's not your cup of tea he's made the show relevant which is something it hasn't been in over 20 years except for the short time period when they took it away from Conan and his last few weeks were glorious. Fallon is pretty loving great at being a late night host and is making a good, fun, successful show. And by all accounts loving every second of it and not just running through the motions like Leno did for years. But I can understand that some people won't find him all that great because he's not their ideal host or they don't like his brand of comedy. It's the same reason I get why Conan was a failure of a host even though I loved his short run. It's why I get that people loved Craig Ferguson even if I never did care for him.

I think I kinda missed the Conan scandal when it was happening. Are there any youtube recaps of these shows? I kinda wanna see the contemporary take on the whole ordeal from one of the principals.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Frostwerks posted:

I think I kinda missed the Conan scandal when it was happening. Are there any youtube recaps of these shows? I kinda wanna see the contemporary take on the whole ordeal from one of the principals.
Well here's his last Tonight Show monologue, in which he poo poo-talks NBC and wastes their money, and also there's a highlights reel in here of some of his best Tonight Show moments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrb3HLB28Po

And here's his farewell speech from that last episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcF1OoWqXBc

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Frostwerks posted:

"Team Coco" was literally the name of the "protest" against NBC firing Conan - which was a total outrage, because they promised him the Tonight Show, if he renewed his contract for a few years. I can't remember whether hashtags were that popular back then, but you can try searching for it - maybe http://teamcoco.tumblr.com/archive.

"Coco" was Tom Hanks's pet name for Conan, and Team Coco eventually became the unofficial-official show/brand name.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
As I recall, when Conan was at the top of his game, several years before getting the Tonight Show, he wanted the Tonight Show or he was gonna look at other networks. He was amazing at the time, so NBC did the whole 'Leno retires in 5 years' thing. By the time Conan finally got the tonight show, he wasn't nearly as funny IMO. He's had his moments since, but I don't think he's even been as consistently amazing as he was back when the deal was struck. That doesn't justify the whole Tonight Show drama nonsense though, he deserved more time to settle into the role than 7 months, but at least we got some of the best late night TV ever out of it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Conan weirdly fell into a routine very early on, as if he'd done the show for 10 years - like Leno or Letterman. Anyone remembering his opening can recall him doing the jump, as the intro music ends, maybe the string dance, and then he'd go on to make fun of Max, and he'd serve up some jokes no one cared about - which, to be fair, no audience ever does in a monologue, unless it's Craig Ferguson.

It felt like he was afraid to experiment, even as he seemed to have some of the best late-night writers at the time. Now Kimmel seems to have the best ones - and Fallon makes it up with sketches.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Kristen Schaal was killing it on Conan tonight. Er, Tuesday.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

ufarn posted:

"Team Coco" was literally the name of the "protest" against NBC firing Conan - which was a total outrage, because they promised him the Tonight Show, if he renewed his contract for a few years. I can't remember whether hashtags were that popular back then, but you can try searching for it - maybe http://teamcoco.tumblr.com/archive.

"Coco" was Tom Hanks's pet name for Conan, and Team Coco eventually became the unofficial-official show/brand name.
"Co-Co" was first coined in a Twitter Tracker bit :eng101: Hanks just co-opted it for his own nefarious ends.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Do not forget the "feud" between Conan, Colbert, and Stewart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

pwn posted:

"Co-Co" was first coined in a Twitter Tracker bit :eng101: Hanks just co-opted it for his own nefarious ends.
drat YOU WIKIBEAR! :argh: