Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Tab8715 posted:

I've seen this recommended before but what happens when all your past positions aren't in the city and neither are any of your references?

It's all a gamble, but I'd always bet on me getting my pretty face in front of someone. (hint: not pretty)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

No, I'm doing it through a local community college. I have the older Jang book and I'm definitely interested in doing a team effort on RHCSA if other people want to do a group thing.

I can mentor this if anyone wants one

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was going to make it one of those gifs that gradualy grows from normal smiley size to huge, but I don't have time to learn to make .gifs right now.

10% raise, regular hours, 5 day weeks. 6 month contract with the possibility of conversion at the end of the contract. And I get experience administering tickets, rather than just responding to them. And it's based out of an office, rather than my car. So I can use a fridge and a microwave.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh my god that was a fast change from 19 day weeks, congrats!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was going to make it one of those gifs that gradualy grows from normal smiley size to huge, but I don't have time to learn to make .gifs right now.

10% raise, regular hours, 5 day weeks. 6 month contract with the possibility of conversion at the end of the contract. And I get experience administering tickets, rather than just responding to them. And it's based out of an office, rather than my car. So I can use a fridge and a microwave.

Look at that, now you only have to work 14 days straight!

Don't do that. Tell them what hours you would reasonably work and save some self respect.

When their moods shifts from needing you there constantly to not seeming to need you at all, take some time and figure out why that is.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

evol262 posted:

What's the bare minimum specs for a CentOS VM?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Congrats! Seeing someone get out from under is always wonderful. :toot:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

icehewk posted:

If you're working exclusively from the command line, you can do a surprising amount with 256 MB and a 5 GB disk.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh my god that was a fast change from 19 day weeks, congrats!

Yeah. Basically I could feel this whole thing was leading up to either an absolutely soul-crushing next few weeks or an awesome next few weeks. And I was in suspense for maybe half an hour after I got the call from my recruiter to find out what the answer was. I knew she was talking to the managers at the company after I talked to her earlier in the day, so I knew that the next time she called it would be with the answer. She calls when I'm on the line with our helpdesk finishing up the software configuration on a new station. So as soon as I'm done, I call her back, but get a voicemail. I was basically making GBS threads myself waiting for her to call back.

Last time I was interviewing for an IT job, I had maybe 10 interviews out of 100+ applications. This time I had 1 interview out of about 10 applications. I knew the first job would be the hardest to get.

This isn't for an MSP running retail stores like my current job, so as far as I can tell everyone goes home on the weekend. And the manager told me that our hours are offically 8-5, although he wants to extend that to 7-6 by staggering start times.

The only slight downside here is that they took what I'd given as my initial request without negotiating it down at all. So I probably could have gotten more. But whatever, it's still a raise and a much better work/life balance. And my car will thank me for not putting 800 miles a week on it.

edit: I'd never looked closely at the YOTJ smiley before editing that thing. Is that a bottle of vodka in its mouth instead of a noisemaker?

They also have free sodas at the office, but I'm not going to be taking advantage of that. I'm limiting myself to one a week since I'm trying to lose weight.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 19, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

icehewk posted:

If you feel brave, 128 MB of RAM, about 400 MB of disk and 200 mhz Pentium or equivalent. 2 GB disk to install significant chunks of the basic binaries.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

edit: I'd never looked closely at the YOTJ smiley before editing that thing. Is that a bottle of vodka in its mouth instead of a noisemaker?
Of course it is.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Congrats :yotj: That is an amazing upgrade. And now that I know you're local, I'd be happy to grab a beer or something if you want once you're down to normal human hours.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. I might take you up on that sometime. It would probably be at least a month, I'm trying to dig myself out of a schoolwork hole right now. Maybe try getting to bed before midnight too. My email is EargesplittenSA@yahoo.com.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Dry Dock on Hampden, Wednesday evenings is always an option :ninja:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Nintendo Kid posted:

If you feel brave, 128 MB of RAM, about 400 MB of disk and 200 mhz Pentium or equivalent. 2 GB disk to install significant chunks of the basic binaries.

You should be looking at at least 256mb for 6 and 512mb for 7, preferably doubled

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

No, I'm doing it through a local community college. I have the older Jang book and I'm definitely interested in doing a team effort on RHCSA if other people want to do a group thing.

I just took and passed the latest RHCSA, it was the one on RH7. I don't think there's any books out that cover that one, there's a lot of changes between 6 and 7 that the test assumes you know. I'd be happy to help if a goon group was trying to do some studying.

One thing, though, is that the test isn't for a Linux novice. it's 2.5 hour hands on practical exam that has you accomplish about 30 labs. If you are new to RH, you'll struggle to do it in the time limit. I passed pretty easily and quickly, but I've been working with RH and CentOS for about 7 years now. I have the book, I can't share it with you (right?) but I can help with general areas of study.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Congrats. I escaped a job like you did two years ago. I realized how much it was holding me down, both in my personal life and salary. Now that you have a recruiter to work with and a better idea of the real job market out there, you can start getting paid like a grown up. You are in NYC, right?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm really keen to hear the drama that comes from you handing in your notice.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

evol262 posted:

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I just took and passed the latest RHCSA, it was the one on RH7. I don't think there's any books out that cover that one, there's a lot of changes between 6 and 7 that the test assumes you know. I'd be happy to help if a goon group was trying to do some studying.

One thing, though, is that the test isn't for a Linux novice. it's 2.5 hour hands on practical exam that has you accomplish about 30 labs. If you are new to RH, you'll struggle to do it in the time limit. I passed pretty easily and quickly, but I've been working with RH and CentOS for about 7 years now. I have the book, I can't share it with you (right?) but I can help with general areas of study.

There aren't any RH7 books and Micheal Jang's new book doesn't come out until September RHCSA/RHCE Study Guide.

I suppose it would be better to wait until then but in the meantime what would you guys recommend for bettering general linux skills?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Congrats. I escaped a job like you did two years ago. I realized how much it was holding me down, both in my personal life and salary. Now that you have a recruiter to work with and a better idea of the real job market out there, you can start getting paid like a grown up. You are in NYC, right?

Colorado, actually. The guy with the anime avatar is the NYC one.

NZAmoeba posted:

I'm really keen to hear the drama that comes from you handing in your notice.

I'm really hoping there isn't any. I've got a good boss, she's just stuck with the responsibility of meeting high standards without enough resources.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Colorado, actually. The guy with the anime avatar is the NYC one.

Don't you talk ugly about kawaii Lincecum.

I figured you weren't in NYC because I just assume no other TFR posters live here.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tab8715 posted:

There aren't any RH7 books and Micheal Jang's new book doesn't come out until September RHCSA/RHCE Study Guide.

I suppose it would be better to wait until then but in the meantime what would you guys recommend for bettering general linux skills?

I suggest you attempt to setup your own Linux server in your house. Setup and mess with the following items:

1) Logical Volume Managemenet (lvm)
2) File sharing (smb and NFS) also learn AutoFS (it's on the test)
3) managing IP addresses with ip addr (ifconfig is deprecated in RHEL7)
4) managing services with Systemd and systemctl (service command, run levels, and init.d) are deprecated as well in RHEL7

Now, most jobs you'll be dealing with "service" commands, so learn them too, but they are going away soon.

I always tell people that trying to learn Linux is hard, because you need something to use it for. So setup a Fedora or Centos server for your house. Setup file shares, a dhcp server, an ftp server. Also if you can manage, get an old laptop and put fedora on it and then try to use it for a few weeks as a daily laptop. Get everything working, hibernation, display controls, wifi, etc. That'll take you probably a month. On your home server, setup some kind of media front end. Just use Linux.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

I suggest you attempt to setup your own Linux server in your house. Setup and mess with the following items:

1) Logical Volume Managemenet (lvm)
2) File sharing (smb and NFS) also learn AutoFS (it's on the test)
3) managing IP addresses with ip addr (ifconfig is deprecated in RHEL7)
4) managing services with Systemd and systemctl (service command, run levels, and init.d) are deprecated as well in RHEL7

Now, most jobs you'll be dealing with "service" commands, so learn them too, but they are going away soon.

I always tell people that trying to learn Linux is hard, because you need something to use it for. So setup a Fedora or Centos server for your house. Setup file shares, a dhcp server, an ftp server. Also if you can manage, get an old laptop and put fedora on it and then try to use it for a few weeks as a daily laptop. Get everything working, hibernation, display controls, wifi, etc. That'll take you probably a month. On your home server, setup some kind of media front end. Just use Linux.

I definitely agree that the best way to learn Linux is to use Linux. The RHCSA is more of a "basic tasks" test, though, and setting up a dhcp server (while informative in a lot of ways) isn't terribly useful from an exam perspective.

Init.d (sysvinit) is dead, not deprecated. All sysvinit services are automatically coerced to systemd units. I don't know of any plans to remove that in the future.

I'd also say to get comfortable with kickstart (installing and starting from anaconda-ks.cfg is sometimes helpful if you're new to it), interacting with basic shell stuff (redirection, trivial oneliners, listing disks, etc), how to use fstab, firewalld (use the centos7 or rhel7 security guide, fedora has diverged a bit), basic selinux stuff, user management, and filesystem acls (which are pretty rare in real life but are always on the test)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

evol262 posted:

I definitely agree that the best way to learn Linux is to use Linux. The RHCSA is more of a "basic tasks" test, though, and setting up a dhcp server (while informative in a lot of ways) isn't terribly useful from an exam perspective.

Init.d (sysvinit) is dead, not deprecated. All sysvinit services are automatically coerced to systemd units. I don't know of any plans to remove that in the future.

I'd also say to get comfortable with kickstart (installing and starting from anaconda-ks.cfg is sometimes helpful if you're new to it), interacting with basic shell stuff (redirection, trivial oneliners, listing disks, etc), how to use fstab, firewalld (use the centos7 or rhel7 security guide, fedora has diverged a bit), basic selinux stuff, user management, and filesystem acls (which are pretty rare in real life but are always on the test)

I took the RHCSA7 test six weeks ago. So, me randomly listing some items that you may want to be familiar with is completely unrelated to that.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Would it make more sense to study for RH6? I'm assuming most orgs still use 6 over 7.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tab8715 posted:

Would it make more sense to study for RH6? I'm assuming most orgs still use 6 over 7.

If you want the cert, they don't offer the 6 cert any more. If you want more practical experience, then stick with 6. However, you can use ipconfig and service on the 7 test, they technically work still, but I don't know how the test automatically grades itself, so they may not leave it in a state you expect.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This is what $9k looks like, or $10k if you include that Thunderbolt display.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

This is what $9k looks like

I kinda transposed your avatar over the image for a second there.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dick Trauma posted:

I've deployed 4 of those since I started working here - one had a 8TB NAS unit to go along with it. Business school faculty = $$$.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I know that people have a thing about Macs, but it's going to be obsolete in 3 years, just like any other workstation, anyways. I just don't see it.

What are the specs?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
That thing is a computer?

Wow, I'm really out of touch.

Also, lol at all the cables. No matter how slick your device there's still a bunch of ugly wires coming out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bhodi posted:

That thing is a computer?

Wow, I'm really out of touch.

Also, lol at all the cables. No matter how slick your device there's still a bunch of ugly wires coming out.

They say it's designed like that for better cooling (heat rises), but I think someone just really wanted to make an iTrashcan.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
All 3 AWS webinars I signed up for this month occur this afternoon. I don't know why they wouldn't spread them out more.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Starting retail is $3k which is still expensive but you're cramming so much into so a small space.

Granted, I'm kinda perplex with - not sure if this the right word - utility or TCO you get out of Apple desktops but OS X is awfully nice.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Maaaan, I was just skimming this thread and I literally believed it was a trash can :lol:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Starting retail is $3k which is still expensive but you're cramming so much into so a small space.

Granted, I'm kinda perplex with - not sure if this the right word - utility or TCO you get out of Apple desktops but OS X is awfully nice.

I dunno, I've never been a huge OS X fan. Then again, I can't think of a desktop GUI that I really like.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Tab8715 posted:

My stepmom is the only person I know that has ever bought a pro desktop, but she's a graphic designer and they often will buy thing crazy high end like that and then use them FOREVER.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

If you want the cert, they don't offer the 6 cert any more. If you want more practical experience, then stick with 6. However, you can use ipconfig and service on the 7 test, they technically work still, but I don't know how the test automatically grades itself, so they may not leave it in a state you expect.

AFAIK, the examination doesn't check your command history at all, just whether or not the system is configured correctly, and ifconfig still handles almost everything iproute2 can do (network namespaces aside), and service transparently does "systemctl enable ...", so it should be fine.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

KillHour posted:

I dunno, I've never been a huge OS X fan. Then again, I can't think of a desktop GUI that I really like.

If I had a choice I'd run OS X over any other OS. The interface is just incredibly well done and if I needed anything else I'd just spin up a vm or rdp.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

If I had a choice I'd run OS X over any other OS. The interface is just incredibly well done and if I needed anything else I'd just spin up a vm or rdp.

I like Ubuntu better, TBH. Actually, I like WIndows 8 better, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I won't deny the engineering is nice, but I really can't see why for $9k.

Hell, we just bought a new database server that was scarcely more than that and it was loaded with 750gb of ram and two 18 core Xeons.