Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Monkey Fracas posted:

Didn't the last one poison the well pretty bad?

I mean another one may be possible based on recognition alone but they better knock it out of the park

gently caress those JJ Abrams movies tho

Wait..... ehhhhh gently caress em, yeah

both voyager and enterprise finished that style of trek off.

theres so much money in it that you'd think they'd try again but it really doesnt' feel as though they will :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

opus111 posted:

both voyager and enterprise finished that style of trek off.

theres so much money in it that you'd think they'd try again but it really doesnt' feel as though they will :(

So, they made the mistake of releasing a middling show, then a terrible show, and from what I can tell the last TNG movies were also real bad

Goddamn you star trek we want to love you, you need to clean yourself up and get off the stuff (the stuff here being terrible TV shows and movies)

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

enterprise is far better than voyager.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

opus111 posted:

Lol. Not it's not. It's worse in every way.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

BELLOW AVATAR IMAGE + POST COMBO

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

opus111 posted:

You idiot.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Angela Christine posted:

Riker refused promotion because it would mean leaving the ship. He sacrificed his career so he could keep loving around and playing trombone all day.

So Riker's really an underachieving beta instead of an ambitious alpha? :ohdear:

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

He was ambitious to get to that position, it's just now he's a little more... seasoned.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

That's a horrible thing to say to a man.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Since both of the new Star Trek movies were Nemesis remakes, do you guys think the new Star Wars movie will be a Nemesis remake? Like Admiral Thrawn comes out of the shadows to destroy Coruscant, and not Luke and not Leia have to infiltrate the ship and kill him at the last second while the ship explodes around them and maybe Thrawn screams at nothing or monologues about honor.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

So, they made the mistake of releasing a middling show, then a terrible show, and from what I can tell the last TNG movies were also real bad

Goddamn you star trek we want to love you, you need to clean yourself up and get off the stuff (the stuff here being terrible TV shows and movies)

i think they figured people would watch anything called star trek regardless of quality and they went overboard with that idea

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yaos posted:

Since both of the new Star Trek movies were Nemesis remakes, do you guys think the new Star Wars movie will be a Nemesis remake? Like Admiral Thrawn comes out of the shadows to destroy Coruscant, and not Luke and not Leia have to infiltrate the ship and kill him at the last second while the ship explodes around them and maybe Thrawn screams at nothing or monologues about honor.

I hope there's some kind of time travel. Time travel makes the best stories.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Just for entertainment purposes, what is the gooncensus on a sci-fi show that ended well?

I'm asking for a friend.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Just for entertainment purposes, what is the gooncensus on a sci-fi show that ended well?

I'm asking for a friend.

DS9

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
DS9 ending was dumm

Star Trek isn't supposed to be so religious

Gene wouldn't have liked it

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Gene? Who the hell is gene

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gene-Luc Picard

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ein cooler Typ posted:

DS9 ending was dumm

Star Trek isn't supposed to be so religious

Gene wouldn't have liked it

The pah-wraith stuff was a bit daft, but the final season of the show was mostly great and it ended with a great episode and strong hook. It wasn't all "happy ever after".

Gene would never have supported DS9 in the first place.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

redshirt posted:

Gene would never have supported DS9 in the first place.

And that's why it was good. Once he died they went hogwild.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bonzo posted:

And that's why it was good. Once he died they went hogwild.

Yeah, but there's also Voyager and Enterprise and the movies. So I don't think this opinion checks out.

Rather, it's because Berman and Braga had nothing to do with DS9 instead.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

redshirt posted:

Rather, it's because Berman and Braga had nothing to do with DS9 instead.

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast
DS9 is good enough that you watch it and forget it's Star Trek sometimes.

Sad thing is once you watch DS9 it's really painfully awful to watch the rest of Trek where they just keep dropping the ball all the time.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
^^ and the squeaky clean aspect of it all. DS9 kept it real.

I think they danced a fine line between the fact that one person's "aliens living in a dimensional realm that does not adhere to our notion of space time" and Bajorian religious hooplah. But yeah, it was a little blegh at times.

As for a good Sci Fi show ending. Quantum Leap I remember liking, though I think they went a little god-y too (lol gaudy)

Also, TNG's actual finale, obviously. The complete revisit and realization "mankind's been on trial since the beginning of the series" was interesting. Could have been worse.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Gene didn't like ST6

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I'm asking for a friend.

babylon 5

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Not a lot of answers to sci-fi shows finishing strong.

Does Angel count? It had cyborgs and a Robot Devil.

Cuz it has the best end of any genre show, ever.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

lost was scifi and i liked how it ended but others did not

quantum leap end was dece

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Parallax Scroll posted:

lost was scifi and i liked how it ended but others did not

quantum leap end was dece

I liked Lost's ending too, though I get why many don't.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
what was the one episode of TNG where they ended up in a dimension where if they thought about something it became real

Also yeah the TNG finale was pretty good

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

What the gently caress. Janeway is Red from Orange Is The New Black?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

dog buttz posted:

What the gently caress. Janeway is Red from Orange Is The New Black?

ya

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The original series episodes where they went to some random planet and some dumbass had dropped a book fifty years before causing them to base their whole culture on one drat thing were hilarious.

"Why yes we based our entire civilisation on All Capone's biography, what's wrong with that? At least it wasn't Mein Kampf like those morons two planets over".

Like it kept happening. Planet of the mobsters, planet of the Nazis, planet of the Romans, planet of the spooky space wizards....

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 19, 2015

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

thank you

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The original series episodes where they went to some random planet and some dumbass had dropped a book fifty years before causing them to base their whole culture on one drat thing were hilarious.

"Why yes we based our entire civilisation on All Capone's biography, what's wrong with that? At least it wasn't Mein Kampf like those morons two planets over".

"Insert Cultural Touchstone Here" Planets were great

I'm pretty sure they threw together some of those episodes based on what costumes/foam fake boulders they had access to the week they were shooting

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast
Planet of the Dead Gay Romans.

Also Nazi planet. Mob planet. God drat most of Original Trek is so loving terrible.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Dead Gay Romans posted:

Planet of the Dead Gay Romans.

Also Nazi planet. Mob planet. God drat most of Original Trek is so loving terrible.

A lot like Stargate. Who shall we visit today? The World War Twoians, the hunter gatherers, or the Egyptians?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

he was so nice to sign this for me. and he even spelled my name right. it's steplam

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
How does that actor feel about Neelix? I imagine it had to have sucked to play such an irritating character. Do others on the show feel about it the way Robert Beltran (Chakotay) felt? I know he actively talked about how terrible it was and how they'd give in to whatever money he wanted, while he was only bluffing so they'd kill him off.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I've always wanted to know if there was anything to the rumors that Chakotay and buddies used to hotbox the shuttle prop on their free time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Shadow posted:

How does that actor feel about Neelix? I imagine it had to have sucked to play such an irritating character. Do others on the show feel about it the way Robert Beltran (Chakotay) felt? I know he actively talked about how terrible it was and how they'd give in to whatever money he wanted, while he was only bluffing so they'd kill him off.

I'm sure he loves the money.

• Locked thread