Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
It *is* extremely pleasing to open combat with one of the firearms. The aiming animation aaaaand.... BAM! *combat music starts*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sensuki posted:

Unfortunately, a lot of the tooltips and cyclopedia entries are a little bit like that.

That's not fair, many of the entries are far more misleading than that. Knock Down, literally the first fighter ability in the game, straight up says it attacks Fortitude, when it's just a normal attack that inflicts prone on hit without ever requiring a fortitude roll.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'm super looking forward to a game where states and cities seem to have gotten more than a one sentence fleshing out of societal stuff and exist as more than archetypes slapped on quest hubs.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Roguelike posted:

That's not fair, many of the entries are far more misleading than that. Knock Down, literally the first fighter ability in the game, straight up says it attacks Fortitude, when it's just a normal attack that inflicts prone on hit without ever requiring a fortitude roll.

I submitted a cyclopedia entry for damage in the bug forums a couple weeks ago because the game doesn't have one. Only has one for Damage Types. The word damage is linked to Damage Types.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

rope kid posted:

The gaming timeline of history:

Ancient Tymes
Medieval
Steampunk
WWII
Modern
Post-Apocalyptic
Space??

Post-Apocalyptic Space
Loop back to Ancient Tymes

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So are they doing a midnight release or something else?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

rope kid posted:

Ancient Tymes
Medieval
Steampunk
Valiant Hearts
WWII
Modern
Post-Apocalyptic
Space??

Corrected.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

SunAndSpring posted:

I'd like to know as well. I don't want to have to wait most of the 26th because it launches at noon in America.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sensuki posted:

I submitted a cyclopedia entry for damage in the bug forums a couple weeks ago because the game doesn't have one. Only has one for Damage Types. The word damage is linked to Damage Types.

The most disappointing of all was when I tried to use disintegrate to kill my own guy, only to find out out that the flavor text is a lie. A terrible lie.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

rope kid posted:

Ancient Tymes
Medieval
Steampunk
WWII
Modern
Post-Apocalyptic
Space??
What time period would gently caress You, Suck My Dick take place in if it was made?

Also at any point during locking in or fleshing out the setting for PoE, did anyone make any jokes or other allusions to making "Lionheart but better"

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
So is it viable to have a stealthy backstabbing rogue with a giant Pike? I would desperately like for this to be a thing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Eej posted:

More fantasy games should be set in the early modern era because medieval fantasy is so ubiquitous and stale at this point. Also early modern is far more interesting of a period to base things off than medieval.

I suspect they tend to avoid the early modern period because unlike medieval stuff which basically exists in the popular consciousness as "King Arthur, except all across Europe", there's some level of understanding that the early modern period is more complicated than that.

And nobody wants complicated. Same reason you don't see many RPGs set in the modern day.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

SunAndSpring posted:

The Steam page shows it unlocking at the usual 10am Pacific. As much as I would like it to unlock at midnight based on timezone, pages of "how do I VPN?" chat would not be fun. The thread is going to be crazy enough in the leadup to launch without that.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Roguelike posted:

That bug was a holdover from when Fort wasn't a weapon-based attack, but just did a Prone attack vs. Fort. It's been fixed for release.

Magitek posted:

So is it viable to have a stealthy backstabbing rogue with a giant Pike? I would desperately like for this to be a thing.
Yes.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

grrarg posted:

The Steam page shows it unlocking at the usual 10am Pacific. As much as I would like it to unlock at midnight based on timezone, pages of "how do I VPN?" chat would not be fun. The thread is going to be crazy enough in the leadup to launch without that.

Ugh, that means the game won't unlock until 17.00 my time. I guess I could use that time productively but I'd rather pretend to be a fantasy wizard.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Magitek posted:

Sneak attack damage is percentage based and doesn't require any specific weapon, so yes.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

rope kid posted:

Ancient Tymes
Medieval
Steampunk
WWII
Modern
Cyberpunk
Post-Apocalyptic
Space??

Fixed that for you Hacker.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Captain Oblivious posted:

I suspect they tend to avoid the early modern period because unlike medieval stuff which basically exists in the popular consciousness as "King Arthur, except all across Europe", there's some level of understanding that the early modern period is more complicated than that.

And nobody wants complicated. Same reason you don't see many RPGs set in the modern day.

Let's kickstart a new medieval fantasy RPG but turn it around on people and later mention it's set in the Islamic Golden Age.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Fixed that for you Hacker.

He was actually right the first time. Nobody makes "cyberpunk" games any more. The developers for Deus Ex: Human Revolution actually commented on that in an interview; when they did market research on the "cyberpunk" term, essentially no one had heard of it, and when they described the tropes, all the kids in their target demographics just interpreted those as elements of "modern" settings. Evil corporations, corporate hackers, cybernetic implants, etc., that's all just considered modern now.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Eej posted:

Let's kickstart a new medieval fantasy RPG but turn it around on people and later mention it's set in the Islamic Golden Age.

I'd play that.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Eej posted:

I didn't realize how badly I wanted this until now.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He was actually right the first time. Nobody makes "cyberpunk" games any more. The developers for Deus Ex: Human Revolution actually commented on that in an interview; when they did market research on the "cyberpunk" term, essentially no one had heard of it, and when they described the tropes, all the kids in their target demographics just interpreted those as elements of "modern" settings. Evil corporations, corporate hackers, cybernetic implants, etc., that's all just considered modern now.

This makes me sad that no one wants to run through my corridors anymore.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Eej posted:

This has made me listen to Lamma Bada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEOjvw7xvvM

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 19, 2015

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

well we pretty much already live in a lovely cyberpunk setting all ready so that makes sense.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Can't decide if I want my main to be a druid or chanter. I guess I'll flip a coin on release day.

Ladolcevita
Dec 1, 2013

grrarg posted:

The Steam page shows it unlocking at the usual 10am Pacific.

Well, that sucks. I had taken off from work on the 26th. Now I guess I'll sit around for most of the day twiddling my thumbs in anticipation.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
If you must take off work for a game then always do it the day AFTER release so you at least know that it won't be late or broken for the first day or somethign

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

xthetenth posted:

I didn't realize how badly I wanted this until now.

The Desert of Souls by Howard Andrew Jones is a pretty good arabian fantasy book. There's also Throne of the Crescent Moon, but that one, despite actually getting way more hype, has serious loving flaws.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It's a big draw. I've played so many generic fantasy RPG's and read so many generic fantasy novels at this point that pure swords-and-wizards settings tend to lose me really fast. Plus there's such a big kaboooooom!

The gaming world deserves much more Winged Hussars and Pike & Shot. (If only CA would work on that 30 Years Total War. :sigh:)

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Eej posted:

I'd be up for some Moorish politicing.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Davos posted:

If you must take off work for a game then always do it the day AFTER release so you at least know that it won't be late or broken for the first day or somethign

This is how you do it.

Re: Game unlocking on the 26th, I think the thing that hurts me the most about this process is that youtube streamers will be playing it before backers. I don't know why I have a problem with that and not with games "journalists" getting review copies; maybe it's because a review doesn't spoil it nearly as much as watching some idiot play.

Fiberoptic Fable
Sep 6, 2011
Hell Gem

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

drgnvale posted:

Re: Game unlocking on the 26th, I think the thing that hurts me the most about this process is that youtube streamers will be playing it before backers. I don't know why I have a problem with that and not with games "journalists" getting review copies; maybe it's because a review doesn't spoil it nearly as much as watching some idiot play.

So don't watch?

I'll be avoiding all streams myself. And heaping scorn on anyone who posts unmarked spoilers.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Airfoil posted:

So don't watch?

I'll be avoiding all streams myself. And heaping scorn on anyone who posts unmarked spoilers.

The not watching was implied, sorry that you didn't pick up on that. I just hate the idea of pewdiepie getting to play before people who funded the production of the game. The spoiler thing was a poor rationalization on my part, it's really my hatred of idiots who get paid to play video games and ramble (which is what I'd totally have done if youtube was a thing when I was their age).

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 19, 2015

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I know you can create characters; is there a limit on how many you can have chilling at your stronghold total? Do they recruit at level 1 or a more advanced level, and if advanced do they come with talents and abilities pre-set?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

derra posted:

I know you can create characters; is there a limit on how many you can have chilling at your stronghold total? Do they recruit at level 1 or a more advanced level, and if advanced do they come with talents and abilities pre-set?
You can build 8 adventurers in addition to your main PC (there are also 8 companions). They can be hired at your level-1 (minimum of 1). They arrive with experience and basic starting gear, but you have to level them.

freeb0rn
Jan 22, 2005

http://cyberpunk.net/

derra
Dec 29, 2012

rope kid posted:

You can build 8 adventurers in addition to your main PC (there are also 8 companions). They can be hired at your level-1 (minimum of 1). They arrive with experience and basic starting gear, but you have to level them.

Thanks! I know the question is mechanically splergy but I'd like to experience companion interactions while also completing stronghold quests.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

CD Projekt is working on one.

Once again fighting the good fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
It's even based on 2077. I think Eclipse Phase is the only big cyberpunk game left without vidya, unless you consider EVE one.

• Locked thread