Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I forgot how eager FFXII is to throw hunts at you that outlevel you significantly. I just finished the whole Stilshrine of Miriam/Mt. Bur-Omisace thing and I'm not even level 30 yet, but every hunt I've got is level 38+.

The best part is that, thanks to licenses and equipment being way more important than levels, it's totally doable. Okay, sure, the Trickster one-shot my whole party with Choco-Comet, but then I did a few more hunts, bought Bubble, and everything's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

You do have timed parries and if you don't want to sit there burning your mp you can do timed dodges. I'm pretty sure my combos do more damage if I hit the button in sync with each strike (just like in LR)

You don't have to time the actual parry. It triggers if you're in defense mode when a parryable attack comes through. (You do need to time pressing square but the window for that is fairly gigantic.) MP doesn't significantly drain while you're in defense mode, it drains when you dodge. Even then that isn't a 'timed dodge.' You dodge if you're in defense mode and don't if you don't. Your combos also do not have timed hit mechanics. That is a placebo effect.

I am not saying it is bad but it is an RPG trying to look like an action game but it isn't remotely like Monster Hunter, Dark Souls, Metal Gear Revengence or whatever else you want to compare it to, nor is it trying to be.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 19, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If you wanna compare it to anything it should probably be Dragon Age Inquisition which is also a kind of cumbersome real-time RPG system trying to make itself look like an action game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Pretty much. It feels a lot like DA:I in a lot of ways, which isn't necessarily bad. However, DA:I got engaging in Nightmare by forcing you to use the classic Pause/tactical view. I am eager to see what other systems FF15 has to back up what they showed in the demo. Is there going to be a magic system? Will there be more active ways to work with your party members like team attacks? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Given all of the feedback from this thread alone so far, I think I am going to end up liking XV a lot. This thread has always been pretty harsh about certain specifics of the games in this series and it is filled with exaggerations. The combat in XV, from what everyone is saying and from what I have seen so far, clearly is not exactly what many us expected for those of us who were expecting something closer to a classic action RPG. I think that this is okay though and should not scare people. It does not have to be classic action in order to be a lot of fun and leave the perception that it is "actiony" enough.

I'm not worried about the performance issues either....yet that is. There is time to fix this stuff and those problems are always most efficiently tackled last in the development process. How much they end up getting fixed before those disks are pressed is anyone's guess at this point. Nothing to do but wait and hope for the best there. However, if it helps those who can't stand to be patient, it is worth noting that this level of performance issues at this stage in development is not an uncommon scenario. There is no evidence that SE is behind when it comes to this specific aspect of XV. I know that says little about projecting the future state of XV but it is something for those that need it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Pretty much. It feels a lot like DA:I in a lot of ways, which isn't necessarily bad. However, DA:I got engaging in Nightmare by forcing you to use the classic Pause/tactical view. I am eager to see what other systems FF15 has to back up what they showed in the demo. Is there going to be a magic system? Will there be more active ways to work with your party members like team attacks? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the FF team was shown a Dragon Age game (though probably not Inquisition) and told "this is what people like, try to do this." There's a lot of little things in the demo which feel like that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I hope they add a dodge roll skill at some point. I feel it's always weird that some action games don't come with one.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Tae posted:

I hope they add a dodge roll skill at some point. I feel it's always weird that some action games don't come with one.

There is a dodge roll, although you don't 'roll' per say. L1 + o

Good for dodging a few heavy attacks (say from deadeye) that the normal L1 dodge doesn't avoid.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You can manually dodge if you need to whatever reason.

e: f;b

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

ImpAtom posted:

You don't have to time the actual parry. It triggers if you're in defense mode when a parryable attack comes through. (You do need to time pressing square but the window for that is fairly gigantic.) MP doesn't significantly drain while you're in defense mode, it drains when you dodge. Even then that isn't a 'timed dodge.' You dodge if you're in defense mode and don't if you don't. Your combos also do not have timed hit mechanics. That is a placebo effect.

I am not saying it is bad but it is an RPG trying to look like an action game but it isn't remotely like Monster Hunter, Dark Souls, Metal Gear Revengence or whatever else you want to compare it to, nor is it trying to be.

Once you have your full armature (ghost sword thing) or whatever it's called you can timed block / dodge with L1.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Once you have your full armature (ghost sword thing) or whatever it's called you can timed block / dodge with L1.

Ah, I misunderstood what you were saying then.Yeah, you do have that, but it isn't really like the similar mechanics in an action game. It is closer to the ones you see in Lightning Returns though, yeah.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Final round of the second set of DLC for Curtain Call is now up. Struggle to the Death from FF Legend II and Devil Lord Confrontation II from Romancing SaGa 3 are free.

I can confirm that Real Emotion is the Japanese version.

I hope whenever they do a third batch of DLC they'll include more DLC characters. I want to roll with some Sabin or Basch.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How is FF Type 0 remote play and can you pretend it was finally released for the Vita

I don't have a PS4 yet but I'm looking forward to that one feature

From a few pages back, but remote play for Type-0 works great. It might screw up your timing on killsights a little if your connection isn't great, but I've still been hitting them pretty regularly. Controls-wise it's perfect for remote play because L2 / R2 and L3 / R3 aren't used for anything so you don't have to worry about the touchscreen or back pad. The motion blur isn't as nauseating on the smaller screen either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Static Rook posted:

From a few pages back, but remote play for Type-0 works great. It might screw up your timing on killsights a little if your connection isn't great, but I've still been hitting them pretty regularly. Controls-wise it's perfect for remote play because L2 / R2 and L3 / R3 aren't used for anything so you don't have to worry about the touchscreen or back pad. The motion blur isn't as nauseating on the smaller screen either.

Yeah, T-0 began as a PSP game so it benefits really well from Remote Play.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ApplesandOranges posted:

Final round of the second set of DLC for Curtain Call is now up. Struggle to the Death from FF Legend II and Devil Lord Confrontation II from Romancing SaGa 3 are free.

I hope whenever they do a third batch of DLC they'll include more DLC characters. I want to roll with some Sabin or Basch.

Here's the last trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NFIkA7GgIw

I think they're going to focus on theatrythm DQ from now on.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I figure this is the best thread to ask, but I'm playing Theatrhythm: FF Curtain Call. Love the game and the idea. What's the best "strategy" to take with the game? I'm trying to unlock, level up and just generally go forward with the game as much as possible. For battle stages, I try to main high strength & magic people like Cloud, Cecil, and Squall, or Terra & Rydia if I'm going all female to get the extra points, and use high agility people like Tidus, Zidane or Locke for field stages. I'll throw in a character from the song series too if I got them.

Any other tips? This game owns.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

ApplesandOranges posted:

Goddammit Squeenix :effort:

Oh well, at least we get Corridors of Time finally.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Is there going to be a magic system? Will there be more active ways to work with your party members like team attacks? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Yes and yes. They said they didn't include magic in the demo because they were unhappy with the graphics currently, and you'll get more team attacks as the story progresses and the group grows and bonds.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Terper posted:

Yes and yes. They said they didn't include magic in the demo because they were unhappy with the graphics currently, and you'll get more team attacks as the story progresses and the group grows and bonds.

Here's hoping it'll be like Mario and Luigi and we'll get Bros. Attacks :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

seiferguy posted:

I figure this is the best thread to ask, but I'm playing Theatrhythm: FF Curtain Call. Love the game and the idea. What's the best "strategy" to take with the game? I'm trying to unlock, level up and just generally go forward with the game as much as possible. For battle stages, I try to main high strength & magic people like Cloud, Cecil, and Squall, or Terra & Rydia if I'm going all female to get the extra points, and use high agility people like Tidus, Zidane or Locke for field stages. I'll throw in a character from the song series too if I got them.

Any other tips? This game owns.

More or less, yeah. Work on getting shards so you can unlock characters, then play around to see who you like and what works. You can use Collectacards to pump stats, but there's no real need unless you're really looking to min-max. For battle stages, go with a character with a strong summon (like Cloud or Ramza) to lead, as everyone else is the same no matter what position they're in.

You can do a 'best party' discussion, but honestly it's a fun little rhythm game pumped with nostalgia, so really choose who you like.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ApplesandOranges posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLiqJ8-T75A

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yeah, there's no real need to switch party members around for individual stages, you'll get more than enough Rhythmia to unlock everything important if you spend any time at all playing the game. Quest Medley bosses especially in lvl 99 maps probably do require at least a few strong fighters though, because you do need to actually beat the final boss for it to be counted as cleared.

If you want to get CollectaCards or Quest Medley maps with good rewards without having to grind medleys, try out the multiplayer which will allow you to collect maps from the people you face. It's a lot of fun once you get the hang of it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I'll need to watch LPs of Type-0, I officially cannot handle the camera even when I leave the right stick alone. Massive headaches set in first and they grow to a degree comparable to leaving a car and hitting the ground at speed (from experience), then the stomach does what it does with motion sickness, then come the hotdog-burp experiences and then the brain gets its poo poo kicked in and the cops would have stopped me for a sobriety check if I had been outdoors now.

Second game in 30 years of gaming to gently caress me up like this and I play War Thunder in cockpit-view modes. I was able to return it over PSN, chances are they know of how bad it is with motion sickness and make exceptions.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I just finished up Vector and I have Terra back in my party and i'm like... not sure who I should roll with right now. I've finally mastered Sabin's moves on the Vita DPad so he's NEVER LEAVING AGAIN, and for the rest I'm thinking Cyan, Locke and Setzer

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Rei_ posted:

I just finished up Vector and I have Terra back in my party and i'm like... not sure who I should roll with right now. I've finally mastered Sabin's moves on the Vita DPad so he's NEVER LEAVING AGAIN, and for the rest I'm thinking Cyan, Locke and Setzer

Setzer is probably the weakest character since he doesn't have any notable qualities and end - game I leave him out.

Just rock the Figaro brothers, and note that at the end of the game you will need to have all your characters balanced for the final dungeon (but that's not a concern where you're at right now). Cyan is okay but waiting for bushido is lame compared to Edgar using tools immediately.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Setzer is probably the weakest character since he doesn't have any notable qualities and end - game I leave him out.

You take that back right now :mad:

He has cards and dice

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

seiferguy posted:

Fixed Dice + Offering = potentially more damage in a single turn than any other character is capable of (apart from maybe one of Cyan's multi-hit SwordTech's but you gotta wait for those).

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

Fixed Dice + Offering = potentially more damage in a single turn than any other character is capable of (apart from maybe one of Cyan's multi-hit SwordTech's but you gotta wait for those).

It's true but it is kinda sad when an entire character's usefulness is based around a single weapon like that. But hey! It wouldn't be the first time.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

victrix posted:

You take that back right now :mad:

He has cards and dice

Setzer has the coolest attacks of anyone (cards, dice, darts, and his slots are pretty kickin' rad) but his stats compared to anyone aside from Mog and Gogo kinda blow. But I guess he makes for a good "canvas" in that if you level him up correctly, you can turn him into any kind of character you want.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

seiferguy posted:

It's also not a bad idea to keep him in anyway because if you don't pump him up now, he'll be a dead weight weakling when you're forced to use him later.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Rei_ posted:

Just as a note, Terra is required for the next part. But that's fine because she's a good character anyway.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

What characters should I focus on levelling a bit so they're not kinda lovely when I need to use them

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Terper posted:

you'll get more team attacks as the story progresses and the group grows and bonds.

So how many dobercorgis will I need to give to Prompto to unlock his best moves?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Rei_ posted:

What characters should I focus on levelling a bit so they're not kinda lovely when I need to use them

Use whoever you want.

FFVI is not a hard game.

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015

Rei_ posted:

Celes, the Figaros, and Sezter will be the only characters you have access for a 2-3 hour stretch coming up. It won't be impossible to grind in most cases and Sabin is just always good if you can Blitz, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

Use whoever you want.

FFVI is not a hard game.

This. Seriously. You can wreck FFVI with almost anyone with minimal effort.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Oh, okay. Good! I honestly just like stacking my deck now so I'm not like, smashing my head against the wall later instead of just enjoying the story

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Rei_ posted:

Oh, okay. Good! I honestly just like stacking my deck now so I'm not like, smashing my head against the wall later instead of just enjoying the story

For the most part, FFVI gets easier as you go. The second half of the game is really non-linear; some areas are obviously harder than others, but for the most part you start getting great equips and spells, while the game makes no real assumptions about where you'll go first, so the difficulty drops off.

If anything, make sure Celes is not super-underleveled. Other than that you'll be fine.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Rei_ posted:

Honestly, for the first part of the game, use whoever you want. If there's one person I would consider leveling up a bit, it would be Shadow for the very short period you have him at Thamasa (mainly you want to teach him some magic) since he becomes a required character at some point. Oh, and level Celes too before the floating continent, since you will have to solo her for a bit afterward.

But yeah, FFVI isn't hard. When you get all characters and decide to grind for levels, just make sure they're equipped with espers that give stat gains, because levels themselves will not increase your stats. Also, while it seems like strength is his game, up Sabin's magic because his best blitzes use magic as the multiplier.

The White Dragon posted:

It's also not a bad idea to keep him in anyway because if you don't pump him up now, he'll be a dead weight weakling when you're forced to use him later.

You only have to use him for Daryl's Tomb and whichever dungeon you decide to take on to get the next character and then you can dump him for whoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rei_ posted:

Eventually, you'll want to have three parties' worth of characters leveled (some dungeons in the second half of the game require multiple parties). That said, what constitutes a "party" is pretty loose, and with powerful enough magic or equipment setups, two- or three-character parties can carry you right through anything.

Also, by "leveled," I mean like 30 or 35 or so. In general, equipment and magic are much more important than levels and you can school the final boss with a team of level 30+ characters so long as you've taught them good spells and have good weapons/relics.

Also, echoing what Schwartzcough said: eventually, you'll be forced to use Celes for a while, so make sure she can take care of herself pretty well.