Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Norse Code posted:

Nooooooo!

I have really been enjoying it... the last episode I saw ("Looking for a Plot") was one of the best episodes of TV I have seen in a while.

Yeah seriously. The wife was in tears for half of that episode, and I was drat close.

As far as I know, HBO hasn't actually said anything about cancelling it. There's just a general feeling that there's a bare minimum viewership that makes a show sustainable, and that Looking is below that. It actually got a 0.0 rating a few weeks back, which is pretty alarming.

http://headlineplanet.com/home/2015/02/18/ratings-girls-togetherness-hit-new-viewership-low-marks/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Agents is good enough to keep watching even if it's not particularly gripping but I'm glad to hear it gets better.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I've been watching Moone Boy and it's really funny, reminds me a lot of Malcom in the Middle and a little of Arrested Development

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Been watching a few shows.

The last ship: boring show, plot is pretty bad. Yvan eht noij
The strain: sweet show, good season 1.
Sleepy hollow: interesting like x files but with the devil as the aliens. Starting season 2 tonight.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Thank god, but I'm going to keep going anyway.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Sleepy hollow: season 2 was good up to the halfway point. Last half felt like it finished too soon. LOL timetravel
Helix season 1: good first season. Stupid villian shoehorned in and then quickly forgotten.
Helix season 2: good so far, kinda hope it ends this season.
Staring 12 monkeys tonight, if this is also good will give z nation a shot.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, after a fantastic first season Sleepy Hollow derails a lot. There's a lot of stuff that doesn't necessarily come out of nowhere, but feels rushed along instead of being given time to develop (Katrina's arc being the main thing). Lots of stuff ends up being forgotten as quickly as its brought up (Franklin's monster is unemployed after his one episode venture, Orion is off doing who-knows-what after being set up to apparently be a new major antagonist for the team to worry about), and other plotlines are just so dull that the writers seemingly forgot about them (Headless Horseman? Who's that?)

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Can't believe I never watched Deadwood before. Through episode 10 and very well acted and interesting so far.

Thought I read somewhere that the series ends abruptly. That true?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Scrapez posted:

Can't believe I never watched Deadwood before. Through episode 10 and very well acted and interesting so far.

It wraps up the season's plot threads well, but there wasn't a nice neat ending to the series as a whole. Fortunately, you can just read the Wikipedia page for what happened over the next 100 years or so.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
12 monkeys: watched 3 episodes don't care if any lives or dies they wrecked that movie.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tenzarin posted:

12 monkeys: watched 3 episodes don't care if any lives or dies they wrecked that movie.

That movie wrecked La Jetée

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I just binged the first season of 'The 100' last Sunday when I was sick. It was actually really enjoyable if you can ignore the botched science of the entire situation, that is. Overall a neat concept with a really talented cast.

On another tack, I've been watching 'The Borgias' lately: it's a little dry and slow-paced, but I love the setting and the costumes are absolutely outstanding. I love Jeremy Irons.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
What is Borgias about? Aren't there also two versions of it?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Shadow posted:

What is Borgias about? Aren't there also two versions of it?

It's about a family (the Borgias) who manipulated themselves to the top of the Italian society (guy is literally the pope) despite/because they're horrible people. The showtime version is pretty good, and Jeremy Irons is very good in it. There's another version that has the police chief from the Wire as the main guy, and that one was terrible. Pretty funny seeing a pope talk like a guy from Baltimore, though.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Huh... interesting. I never even heard of the story (historically) so that's something.

Speaking of history: Marco Polo is a fun watch. Netflix original and quite entertaining. Also made me read up on Marco Polo's life in more detail, which was cool.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Shadow posted:

Huh... interesting. I never even heard of the story (historically) so that's something.

Speaking of history: Marco Polo is a fun watch. Netflix original and quite entertaining. Also made me read up on Marco Polo's life in more detail, which was cool.

It's a good story, and the Showtime show is pretty good. If you play games at all, you may remember punching out Pope Borgia in Assassin's Creed 2.

I enjoyed Marco Polo as well, I hope they do more.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I actually recently got a new XB1 and it came with like 4 games. That was the first mission right? I haven't played in a few months. Don't play much.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Shadow posted:

I actually recently got a new XB1 and it came with like 4 games. That was the first mission right? I haven't played in a few months. Don't play much.

Nah, that would have been either AC4 or AC:Unity, neither of which are in the same time period. Don't feel bad, though, there are like, 17,000 AC games out there.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

EC posted:

Nah, that would have been either AC4 or AC:Unity, neither of which are in the same time period. Don't feel bad, though, there are like, 17,000 AC games out there.

Oh yeah. Unity. :)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Vikings season 1: :black101: its funny sweet.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Scrapez posted:

It does...and it doesn't. The last scene (IIRC) unintentionally gives a bittersweet note of closure to the series. It's not a cliffhanger ending, thank God, like some other cancelled HBO series I can think of (Carnivale :argh::hf::smith:)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I finally finished up Twin Peaks and, yeah, I can see where people would dislike the bulk of season 2. It was really directionless for the bulk of season 2 then in the last few episodes things started to ramp up again. I still enjoyed it since I liked seeing those characters interact with each other. Since TV has changed a lot since the show first came out I wonder if they'll have the same network pressure with Showtime with the upcoming run or if they'll have free reign to do what they want.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Viking season 2 and ongoing 3: amazing show

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
What kinda storyline?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

EC posted:

It's about a family (the Borgias) who manipulated themselves to the top of the Italian society (guy is literally the pope) despite/because they're horrible people. The showtime version is pretty good, and Jeremy Irons is very good in it. There's another version that has the police chief from the Wire as the main guy, and that one was terrible. Pretty funny seeing a pope talk like a guy from Baltimore, though.

Did you watch any of Borgia because it was the superior show by season 2. I loved Showtime's show almost exclusively because of Jeremy Irons but Borgia's supporting cast is great. Also, John Doman doesn't speak with an Baltimore Accent in the show, he just uses his natural accent in lieu of using a fake British one.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tenzarin posted:

Viking season 2 and ongoing 3: amazing show

Vikings doesn't get enough love. It's really good.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've got a huge crush on Katheryn Winnick

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Just finished up Deadwood. The show was downright amazing. One of my favorite ever. However, I was not a fan of the ending at all. I mean I suppose it is fitting that Hearst eventually strong arms the camp into selling all the mining territory to him and then rolls off into the sunset but it was so unfulfilling.

I thought they'd have someone kill Hearst and then have the shootout with the Pinkertons. It would have made for a more exciting ending. But, perhaps they thought there would be a season 4 and were going to follow up on the story then. It's too bad it had such a short run, seems like that's the case for a lot of amazing shows.

It's also funny how similar Timothy Olyphant's character in Deadwood is to his character in Justified.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Killing Hearst?

The show is based on actual history, my sweet summer child. :)

E: yeah I'm binging Game of Thrones...in preparation!

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I know it was based upon history but it's a pretty loose interpretation as it is with various characters thrown in here and there. I suppose killing Hearst might not have been the right play but at least roughing him up and having a shootout with some of the Pinkertons would have been more fulfilling. Maybe I just like my shows wrapped up with a bow too much.

One thing I can tell you is that my use of the word "cocksucker" has skyrocketed since watching the show. :)

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Binging through Party Down, it's really funny. Sucks that its so short.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Vanderdeath posted:

Did you watch any of Borgia because it was the superior show by season 2. I loved Showtime's show almost exclusively because of Jeremy Irons but Borgia's supporting cast is great. Also, John Doman doesn't speak with an Baltimore Accent in the show, he just uses his natural accent in lieu of using a fake British one.

I gave up on the non-Showtime one pretty quick, so if it gets better that's good to hear.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
They finally added the last season of how i met your mother to the swiss netflix, and...this is just not funny. I started watching today and am on episode 13, and it's actually annoying me. I feel the urge to start cursing at my tv whenever they do the stupid voiceover of "...and that's how ___ met your mother". I hate this woman already and I barely know anything about her yet.

e: I now know why people got so mad at the finale. What the gently caress was that?

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 28, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scrapez posted:

I know it was based upon history but it's a pretty loose interpretation as it is with various characters thrown in here and there. I suppose killing Hearst might not have been the right play but at least roughing him up and having a shootout with some of the Pinkertons would have been more fulfilling. Maybe I just like my shows wrapped up with a bow too much.

One thing I can tell you is that my use of the word "cocksucker" has skyrocketed since watching the show. :)

When I say, "Go gently caress yourself, Sheriff," will you put that down to drunkenness or a high estimate of your athleticism?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I recently watched the Carlos miniseries about Carlos the Jackal(its released under this name too in some markets). It follows Carlos the Jackal from when he first started his terrorist career in France in the early 70s up til he was finally captured in the 90s. It's very detailed, gritty and unsentimental and very good. I know it was also released as an edited-down movie, but there was never any point while watching this that it didn't totally hold my interest, so I'd definitely recommend the full three part miniseries version.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Just watched the second season of The 100. This show is exactly the futuristic, teen drama nuclear apocalypse survival show I've been waiting for all my life. Basically it's way better than it should be and there's not that much stupidity if I just roll with it and don't ask questions.

None of the plot points make any goddamn sense. None of them, no not even that one. I can't decide if characters going back and forth on things they'll fight for is good writing about hosed up young people in hosed up situations or just writers going for the most drama at the moment.

Ugh. Just watch it and enjoy the violence and pretty people and don't think about it whatsoever. Then it's a great show.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

empty sea posted:

Just watched the second season of The 100. This show is exactly the futuristic, teen drama nuclear apocalypse survival show I've been waiting for all my life. Basically it's way better than it should be and there's not that much stupidity if I just roll with it and don't ask questions.

None of the plot points make any goddamn sense. None of them, no not even that one. I can't decide if characters going back and forth on things they'll fight for is good writing about hosed up young people in hosed up situations or just writers going for the most drama at the moment.

Ugh. Just watch it and enjoy the violence and pretty people and don't think about it whatsoever. Then it's a great show.

It's garbage but lordy it's entertaining garbage. I love the way they frequently set up the predictable "OH NO ALL THESE PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DIE IF THING DOESN'T HAPPEN AT THE LAST MINUTE" plot line. Then THING doesn't happen and everybody dies.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Agents of Shield gets really good, I wasn't expecting much from the first couple of episodes that felt like ameri-trash.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I spent the last couple of weeks watching Steven Universe in ten minute breaks and it's easily replaced Adventure Time as a cute little show I can watch in the space of a cup of tea and has 'nice' humour that doesn't rely on mockery or snark to be funny. Any other shows like this? Doesn't have to be ten minutes long or a cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Pierson posted:

I spent the last couple of weeks watching Steven Universe in ten minute breaks and it's easily replaced Adventure Time as a cute little show I can watch in the space of a cup of tea and has 'nice' humour that doesn't rely on mockery or snark to be funny. Any other shows like this? Doesn't have to be ten minutes long or a cartoon.

I've been doing the same with Teen Titans Go! Goofy as gently caress, but funny.