Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just got a RFQ from a .mil that had an Ayn Rand quote in his signature. Not sure why that bothers me so much, but it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

psydude posted:

Customer has 8 virtual vyatta firewall instances, each with about 40-50 ACLs, that need to be consolidated down to 3 virtual ASAs. :psyduck:

Then next year they migrate back?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

evol262 posted:

Oracle Middleware is totally different from Oracle Database, and Oracle hardware, and Oracle Solaris (hurts to say it), and Oracle Enterprise Linux, and Oracle Virtualbox, and...

But that's super pedantic.

Most of the time when people say "Oracle", they mean "Oracle database". Not Oracle Application Server or Oracle Weblogic Server or Oracle Enterprise Manager or any other part of the terrible middleware suite which isn't provably better or worse than any other terrible middleware suite.

It's all owned by the same company. Different product teams or not, the worst of each of those gets attributed fairly to Oracle (the company).

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Erwin posted:

It's all owned by the same company. Different product teams or not, the worst of each of those gets attributed fairly to Oracle (the company).

I'm not disputing that at all. I'm saying that when I read "Oracle. Oracle pisses me off", I anticipate seeing some complaint about Oracle RDBMS, not weird middleware stuff. It was just jarring, not actually wrong.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Me: "I'm trying to set up and tune a linux host for Oracle 12c. My server is on the hardware compatibility list for RHEL7 and Oracle Linux 7. I'm assuming we should we go with Oracle Linux 7?"

Linux SME: "No. RHEL7."

Me: "Why?"

Linux SME: "Oracle can't support their own database. Why would you want their OS?"

I think someone in here posted something to the same effect a few weeks back.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE
Change Management: Can you do a quick change on server x after office hours today?
Me: ok
later
CM: Is it ok if we move the change forward one hour?
Me: ...ok
later
CM: is it ok if we move the change forward 3h?
Me: No, I am going home now.

Soon, very soon, Indian IT people are going to make me racist towards Indian IT people in regards to their skills where I come in contact with them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've found that the best way is to be very clear in all communication, don't hesitate to ask if there's something you think you may have missed, and be significantly more firm in your requirements and demands. Leave as little wiggle room as possible. There is an unfortunate and significant cultural gap that simply must be worked around.

And things will still go wrong. I'm heading to Kolkata next week to visit TCS. It will be an interesting trip.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
Avaya phones are what is pissing me off this week. Mailboxes, specifically. Why do I need two different feature sets and log ins to change the password on a mailbox.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Pretty minor gripe, but I'm wondering if some people here can actually talk without inflecting the end of every sentence. The voice mail sounded like she was asking what her name and issues were.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:
Anybody here ever work for EPIC, the company that makes the health records software? I've heard sysadmins/helpdesk people bitching about their software in these threads, but that can be chalked up to a lot of different things. EPIC's got openings for my specialty, they pay on the high side of average, and I like WI beer, so I'm thinking about it.

Just curious if it's paradise with hookers and blow, just meh, or a complete clusterfuck.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
So the dude that decided that we no longer need a VM environment after I leave started migrating shares in the middle of the day and hosed things up for a bunch of people.

Then today he decided to do windows updates on our loving Citrix Gateway server that is used for our main clinical application during the middle of the day. Cue 25 minutes of unannounced downtime. The IT director called up and kept saying "seriously?" to me after I told him what was going on. I am not usually the type to make jokes about poo poo like that :shrug: Whatever it takes to not have to do offhours maintenance I guess.

I am surprised the IT director received the emails because I know for a fact that he was removed from a bunch because the help desk manager didn't want to keep getting called if he was working on a server. lol.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 19, 2015

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

slartibartfast posted:

Anybody here ever work for EPIC, the company that makes the health records software? I've heard sysadmins/helpdesk people bitching about their software in these threads, but that can be chalked up to a lot of different things. EPIC's got openings for my specialty, they pay on the high side of average, and I like WI beer, so I'm thinking about it.

Just curious if it's paradise with hookers and blow, just meh, or a complete clusterfuck.

I have someone I knew from college working there. He seems to be liking it a lot and has stuck around for a while. Looks like they treat their employees well and stuff.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Demonachizer posted:

So the dude that decided that we no longer need a VM environment after I leave started migrating shares in the middle of the day and hosed things up for a bunch of people.

Then today he decided to do windows updates on our loving Citrix Gateway server that is used for our main clinical application during the middle of the day. Cue 25 minutes of unannounced downtime. The IT director called up and kept saying "seriously?" to me after I told him what was going on. I am not usually the type to make jokes about poo poo like that :shrug: Whatever it takes to not have to do offhours maintenance I guess.

I am surprised the IT director received the emails because I know for a fact that he was removed from a bunch because the help desk manager didn't want to keep getting called if he was working on a server. lol.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

slartibartfast posted:

Someone I know worked there in a non-sysadmin facility (whatever their term is for the person implementing new deployments and helping the client go live) and it paid well and was a good environment, as long as you don't mind working 70 hours a week. I can't speak for what it's like now, but this was 2007-2008.

They had a laundromat on site, which is one of those perks that makes you go "huh?"

So yeah, be cautious about work/life balance expectations if you go there.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Just learned that one of our production web servers is essentially unpatched and isn't running any AV. Jesus wept.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

slartibartfast posted:

EPIC pays well they're enormously successful medical software company but there's large amount of :sperg: to the company. Expect them to extraordinarily nitpicky when it comes to interview time but again it pays.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

slartibartfast posted:

I work there, what role are you looking at applying at? In general the company is solid, like you said, good pay, good company culture, no BS dress code, and this is the first place I've worked where everyone on my team is good at what they do (though of course there is there are still weird personalities to deal with) and where the team leads are all still technically skilled. Also, our cafeteria is basically the king of cafeterias.

EDIT:

One downside for some people is that we're not really located in Madison, it's out past the edge of Madison toward cows-ville.

quote:

They had a laundromat on site, which is one of those perks that makes you go "huh?"

There's a place on campus where you get drop your dry cleaning off, but that's it. The work life balance thing can definitely be an issue depending like most companies though.

captkirk fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 19, 2015

ZeitGeits
Jun 20, 2006
Too much time....

slartibartfast posted:

Do you like MUMPS? Do you like spending long days in the office? Do you know anything about healthcare and enjoy working with healthcare professionals?

EPIC supposedly develops and sells the best product in the EHR market. But boy, healthcare IT sucks if you don't know exactly what you are in for.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

slartibartfast posted:

People like it but they're well known for working you really hard. A lot of people just do a couple years. Madison is amazing three seasons a year and hell during the winter.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

ZeitGeits posted:

Do you like MUMPS? Do you like spending long days in the office? Do you know anything about healthcare and enjoy working with healthcare professionals?

Oh god, gently caress MUMPS. gently caress it harder than printers. I loving hate MUMPS. gently caress it right into 3rd normal form. t:mad:

I once had to write a custom extraction tool to migrate a library card catalog out of an ancient MUMPS database with no available documentation. My liver is still recovering.

quote:

spergy, work/life balance, healthcare IT sucks

This is all expected. The company reviews on GlassDoor.com are chock full o' bitchin' about the work/life balance. I wonder how much of it is fresh-out-of-college kids who haven't learned that balance the hard way yet, and how much of that is corporate-driven culture. I can avoid the former; the latter would keep me away.

captkirk posted:

I work there, what role are you looking at applying at?

Something higher than entry level with the data integration people. Probably couldn't move until fall, so I'll likely hold off applying just yet, but it's the most intriguing thing I've seen recently that's 1) in the right location for me 2) with good pay and 3) has big challenges.

captkirk posted:

One downside for some people is that we're not really located in Madison, it's out past the edge of Madison toward cows-ville.

That's an upside! Bring on the clear night skies.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Adventures in problem solving. If I get asked how long something will take, I give an answer. Then this that and the other happens and I can't meet that date, so now I'm asked for a status daily and where we're at and it's stressed how important we meet our deadlines.

Didn't take too long of that happening for me to decide that the better approach is to refuse to answer. Stripe, what's the ETA on this? "I am unable to commit to an ETA at this time" Wanna ask again? "I am unable to commit to an ETA at this time" - easy game.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Adventures in problem solving. If I get asked how long something will take, I give an answer. Then this that and the other happens and I can't meet that date, so now I'm asked for a status daily and where we're at and it's stressed how important we meet our deadlines.

Didn't take too long of that happening for me to decide that the better approach is to refuse to answer. Stripe, what's the ETA on this? "I am unable to commit to an ETA at this time" Wanna ask again? "I am unable to commit to an ETA at this time" - easy game.

Yep. People asked me when things could be expected. I'd respond with "Well, things could be done by X if nothing comes up, but that's unlikely."

"Got it, X it is."

Now it's "Talk to my PM to make sure we'll prioritize this project and I'm unwilling to commit to a date until we've looked at our whole workload and we're closer to a final date."

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

slartibartfast posted:

This is all expected. The company reviews on GlassDoor.com are chock full o' bitchin' about the work/life balance. I wonder how much of it is fresh-out-of-college kids who haven't learned that balance the hard way yet, and how much of that is corporate-driven culture. I can avoid the former; the latter would keep me away.

Something higher than entry level with the data integration people. Probably couldn't move until fall, so I'll likely hold off applying just yet, but it's the most intriguing thing I've seen recently that's 1) in the right location for me 2) with good pay and 3) has big challenges.
One of my high school friends worked there as a PM right out of college. It was definitely a corporate culture thing. Want good pay with little experience? Work a lot.

It really didn't seem like an unreasonable expectation, and it wasn't like he was doing it because he didn't know any better and didn't know how to stand up for himself. EPIC knows they can hire people who'll work 60-80 hours a week for a couple of years, ride out their noncompete, and go get a job for an external vendor working with EPIC for 50-100% more pay. What incentive do they have to give you better work/life balance?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

beepsandboops posted:

Just learned that one of our production web servers is essentially unpatched and isn't running any AV. Jesus wept.

It might be an unpopular opinion but I don't put av on any my of servers either. AV has in my experience caused more havoc than viruses ever have to servers in environments I have been in. That doesn't mean I don't take other precautions to help reduce the expose of these servers though.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
What other precautions would one take? I'm always up for learning.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sickening posted:

It might be an unpopular opinion but I don't put av on any my of servers either. AV has in my experience caused more havoc than viruses ever have to servers in environments I have been in. That doesn't mean I don't take other precautions to help reduce the expose of these servers though.

Yeah would agree. We used to have av on one web server and basically it did is lock needed files

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
E

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

What other precautions would one take? I'm always up for learning.

The most basic of things seem to go a long way. Restricting logon access enough to ensure domain accounts that access servers and workstations are separated. Basically silo'ing access as much as possible to try to make sure a domain admin account doesn't have access to everything. Using windows firewalls in tandem with network firewalls to limit what and infected machine could communicate with. Using nips/hips and monitoring to sniff out problems. Simply using software restrictions policies to ensure your other admins are installing desktop software on your servers seem to go a long way too.

In an environment that makes sense your web server should be much more less exposed than someone workstation from viruses. An AV client maxing out cpu on a server or getting a false positives after a definition update just seem more common. I am sure other people never have these problems but it just never has seen it as the right tool for the job for me.

ZeitGeits
Jun 20, 2006
Too much time....

slartibartfast posted:

Oh god, gently caress MUMPS. gently caress it harder than printers. I loving hate MUMPS. gently caress it right into 3rd normal form. t:mad:

I once had to write a custom extraction tool to migrate a library card catalog out of an ancient MUMPS database with no available documentation. My liver is still recovering.

People who think printers are the worst thing in IT haven't learned the way of MUMPS yet. gently caress the language, delete all software built on MUMPS, raze the city it was invented in and salt the earth. I have nightmares about having to develop new adapters in Intersystems Ensemble (built on Cache).

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Technical department just had a brain fart and decided they need dual 32" 2.5K monitors.

On the plus side Dell has some pretty drat decent monitors for a nice price, and the IT dept. get that setup too. :toot:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I am on a conference call with a guy with an honest to god cockney accent. This is the most fun I've ever had in my life.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ask him if he owns a slide whistle.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE
Yesterday should have been a veeerrry easy change. It was not. I blame "stupid big computer company" and India.

Change: Replace one faulty dimm on server.

1. The dimm was delivered to the wrong company in the wrong building = 1h of frantic searching for it.
2. Replaced faulty with new dimm. Turns out it is a refurbished dimm and it did not work at all = new exiting errors.
3. Rolled back with old dimm, server booted up fine.
4. Crazy Indian change management guy asks me to remove the old dimm completely and did not listen to my protests.
5. Server would not even reach post just tell me that a fatal system error has occured.
6. I say gently caress this put old dimm back and it boots up fine.
7. CM indian guy asks me again to remove the faulty dimm.
8. I say no, gently caress no. And book a new change for another time with a new dimm, hopefully not a refurb one...

This should have been a very fast change. I was home 22:00 yesterday. :argh: Fortunately my gf had a cold beer waiting for me when I got home.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Why don't you have spare dimms and just replace them whenever you want, and then call for a warranty replacement?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

evobatman posted:

Why don't you have spare dimms and just replace them whenever you want, and then call for a warranty replacement?

Because companies don't like to spend money on things that are just going to sit in a drawer. No matter how good an idea it is.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

evobatman posted:

We keep a pool of GBICs after we got burned BAD with some HP GBICs. They'd work fine and then suddenly fry themselves. Never did find a root cause other than HP engineering state the module looked like it suffered static discharge. But they did trace them back the manufacturer that made that particular lot of GBICs (almost everyone specs that poo poo out to the lowest bidder for manufacture, so month A comes this factory, month B from another). HP had to swoop in and replace almost every single one they supplied us with during rollout. It was several thousand of them. Thank god we had enough redundancy built in with GigE trunks so it was a transparent failure from the network's perspective.

Of course after they did that, we started to slowly phase them out and replace with Juniper switches. So far not one Juniper GBIC has needed service or replacement. But I know our Field Service group keeps a few hundred on hand in the original packaging on a couple pallets somewhere.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's real easy to justify having extra equipment on hand. You have to document the cost of downtime and time wasted on service engineers though.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Wibla posted:

It's real easy to justify having extra equipment on hand. You have to document the cost of downtime and time wasted on service engineers though.

yes but people can be notoriously frugal and stupid so you end up having precisely zero spares for vital equipment but LETS GET EVERYONE THE LATEST IPHONES

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

go3 posted:

yes but people can be notoriously frugal and stupid so you end up having precisely zero spares for vital equipment but LETS GET EVERYONE THE LATEST IPHONES

Your job is to make sure it doesn't break. if you need spares clearly you are bad at your job.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Not necessarily IT, but... my team does a weekly breakfast rotation. One guy makes homemade biscuits and gravy. It's divine. Other guys bring in Panera or assorted dozens from local donut places. Equally acceptable. One guy orders Chick-fil-a breakfast party platters. He's my favorite.

And then there's the guy that hits the McDonalds drive-thru on the way in and grabs a bunch of Egg McMuffins that get cold because he gets in an hour before everybody else and the thermal half-life on any McDonalds menu item is generally 2 minutes after it leaves the cooktop.

gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Oh look... more "security researchers" trying to make a buck...

quote:

Hi,

I have found few *Vulnerabilities on your Website* i.e.
xxxxxxx and *Attacker* can easily take advantage of it.

I'm a *Professional Security Researcher*. I am* Experienced* and dealt with
many Website Companies.

I need *Email ID* of your *Technical Department* to Report this Issues.

And I would like to know whether you provide any Monetary Rewards to
appreciate Security Researchers for their findings or not.

Looking forward for your reply.

Best Regards,

I get at least one of these a month, and it's always bullshit.