Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Rei_ posted:

What characters should I focus on levelling a bit so they're not kinda lovely when I need to use them

I have found that as long as you have one or two characters in the party which are relatively beefy then they can carry the rest of the party with little effort throughout nearly every portion of the game. When you run into situations where you are forced to choose party members in order to form multiple parties just make sure you have at least one beefy character in each one. There are also cases where you will only have one or two characters in the party at all which you do not get to choose and when that happens it can be harder but often doable as long as they have access to good equipment which you collected earlier.

I guess what I am saying is that VI is an easy game and there are very few situations where you can really make things painfully hard on yourself unless you are an extremely impatient person.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Honestly, the only hard part of VI is the optional dungeons, but if you sperg out on leveling and max out the necessary stats of each character then that's not too bad either.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Just S-ranked Evil Wings on Ultimate on Theatrhythm

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF VI was hard when I first played it because it was my first JRPG and I didn't realise you were supposed to use healing spells until the World of Ruin.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

FF VI was hard when I first played it because it was my first JRPG and I didn't realise you were supposed to use healing spells until the World of Ruin.

I apparently didn't understand how equipment worked when I played, so I just equipped everyone with the gear that sounded like it looked the coolest. I mean, poo poo, I was like eight years old when that game came out and had already played FF4 (though I never beat it). I should've known better by then.

Still finished the game, though!

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

hahaha i didnt know the mudra rabbit shows up when you blow one of Setzer's slot machine rolls

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

FFVI was hard when I was a lazy kid who got bored of random encounters and didn't know how to equip Espers.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I was so young when I first played Dragon Quest 1 that I had to ask my friend who was a few years older than me what to do every time I encountered a random battle even when fighting against the slimes at the beginning. The answer was always "Fight" but for some reason I felt as if I needed to keep asking. Of course, this was not only my first RPG but one of my very first video games ever so yeah.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm going to do it, I'm going through the Lost Sanctum in Chrono Trigger DS. Pray for me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just remembered the weirdest thing was that I'd already played and finished SoM and I'm pretty sure I healed a lot in that. Maybe the turn-based thing just confused me.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yeah I blew my way through more than a few of these games just spamming fight and having the endless energy of a bored 9 year old to grind my way to victory, I didnt think these games had like...mechanics and poo poo

How the HELL are you supposed to get Mog's Water Dance unless someone loving tells you to go back to one of two places you really have no reason to ever go to

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The same way I knew anything back then, read it in a magazine.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

seiferguy posted:

I figure this is the best thread to ask, but I'm playing Theatrhythm: FF Curtain Call. Love the game and the idea. What's the best "strategy" to take with the game? I'm trying to unlock, level up and just generally go forward with the game as much as possible. For battle stages, I try to main high strength & magic people like Cloud, Cecil, and Squall, or Terra & Rydia if I'm going all female to get the extra points, and use high agility people like Tidus, Zidane or Locke for field stages. I'll throw in a character from the song series too if I got them.

Any other tips? This game owns.

If you want a great battle stage setup, get your guys some extra CP, give them skills that trigger quickly (Focus 1+2 is popular) and added cut. Only certain people get added cut but it basically procs when enough skills go off. Eventually you get so many skills going off your added cuts are triggering more added cuts.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

I apparently didn't understand how equipment worked when I played, so I just equipped everyone with the gear that sounded like it looked the coolest. I mean, poo poo, I was like eight years old when that game came out and had already played FF4 (though I never beat it). I should've known better by then.

Still finished the game, though!

I almost quit on the first Final Fantasy as a 6-year old on NES because I couldn't beat any enemies. I bought gear for everyone like the players guide said! Oh, I'm supposed to EQUIP the gear?

My mom swears I never would have learned to read if I didn't have the Final Fantasy players guide as a motivator.

Sakurazuka posted:

The same way I knew anything back then, read it in a magazine.

I got the Final Fantasy VI (Well, 3 at the time...) Nintendo Power players guide when I bought the game for $30 and man I was set.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TARDISman posted:

FFVI was hard when I was a lazy kid who got bored of random encounters and didn't know how to equip Espers.

i didn't know you could use the tome in the menu to learn magic in FF2

i finished the game without anyone knowing any magic (this was the GBA version btw, so it was easier then the original, but still)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

YggiDee posted:

I'm going to do it, I'm going through the Lost Sanctum in Chrono Trigger DS. Pray for me.

Small consolation in that it's SUPER easy, but hoooooly crap, does it get old fast. The sort of midway point of the 'plot' drags on forever.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

seiferguy posted:

I got the Final Fantasy VI (Well, 3 at the time...) Nintendo Power players guide when I bought the game for $30 and man I was set.

Yeah, the weird days of Strategy Guides not only being kinda necessary but the internet not really being a thing yet unless you wanted to use your mom's computer to print out a 600 page GameFAQs guide on Link to the Past

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I kind of miss strategy guides being as much of a thing as they were, especially ones for RPGs. A lot of them were really rather interesting.

I had this Secret of Mana one, and loved it almost as much as I did the game. Had a neat gimmick of being written like a story.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

You only really need one super strong party in FFVI. Even the multi-party dungeons you can kind of cheese with the moogle charm, or just exit and re-enter the dugeon with your super team on a different path.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got stuck in Super Metroid for so loving long because I didn't realise you could power bomb that glass tunnel.

Kids have it easy these days. :corsair:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Rei_ posted:

Yeah I blew my way through more than a few of these games just spamming fight and having the endless energy of a bored 9 year old to grind my way to victory, I didnt think these games had like...mechanics and poo poo

I remember playing FF IV and I never died once until I fought those 3 sister's right before you go in to fight Golbez. I was so shocked by the failure that I started grinding XP like crazy in some forest. When I say grind, I mean that I put in hours almost every day for over a month because I thought that the sisters were really hard. I had thousands of HP and was insanely over leveled when I tried it again. Yet, Tellah still only had 90 MP which I thought was pretty funny.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

idk i'm kinda sitting here like oh, Aura Bolt just does 1k damage on poo poo at level 20. Well that would have been helpful to know in 199-loving-6

Kinda hoping Monk winds up getting that in Heavensward now...

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 19, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sakurazuka posted:

I got stuck in Super Metroid for so loving long because I didn't realise you could power bomb that glass tunnel.

Kids have it easy these days. :corsair:

It's been ages, but isn't that shown in one of the attract mode demo bits?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kyrosiris posted:

Yes. Yes it is. :cripes:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

I pretty much never watched any of those things until I was adult, because gently caress the previews I've got a game to play *mashes on the start button*

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I pretty much never watched any of those things until I was adult, because gently caress the previews I've got a game to play *mashes on the start button*

This, on the other hand, is totally fair. :v:

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Rei_ posted:

Yeah, the weird days of Strategy Guides not only being kinda necessary but the internet not really being a thing yet unless you wanted to use your mom's computer to print out a 600 page GameFAQs guide on Link to the Past

The FF9 strategy guide was unforgivable. It cost just as much as a regular one ($30'ish), but saved much of the content for a proprietary website that you had to navigate to using codes or URL's in the strategy guide. "Want to know how to solve this one? Go to [overly long URL] for more!"

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Transistor Rhythm posted:

The FF9 strategy guide was unforgivable. It cost just as much as a regular one ($30'ish), but saved much of the content for a proprietary website that you had to navigate to using codes or URL's in the strategy guide. "Want to know how to solve this one? Go to [overly long URL] for more!"

I think the best bit is that now the guide is even more worthless (barring using stuff like Wayback Machine), because PlayOnline no longer hosts the stuff the guide directs you to.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Any excuse to listen to the PlayOnline BGM, though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Best strategy guide was the Earthbound one, which also came with the game.

Worst was the goddamn SaGa Frontier one. The only useful information in it was the gold bar money trick and even that didn't make up for the fact that the book was filled with horrifically wrong information and "IT'S A SEKRIT" bullshit for some bosses. IIRC it listed most final bosses as having something like 10-15k HP when they were actually something like 100-150k. It was completely worthless for helping you with Virgil's combo challenge horseshit.

Plus despite having the gold bar money trick listed it didn't mention the repair kit trick in Scrap and how you could eventually start getting stuff like Hyperion Bazookas from the junk seller once you'd sold back enough kits.

seiferguy posted:

Setzer is probably the weakest character since he doesn't have any notable qualities and end - game I leave him out.

Sakurazuka posted:

Fixed Dice + Offering = potentially more damage in a single turn than any other character is capable of (apart from maybe one of Cyan's multi-hit SwordTech's but you gotta wait for those).

Anyone with Atma Weapon and a Paladin Shield along with the Offering is going to dump damage on bosses like nobody's business. I forget if/where you get a 2nd Atma Weapon sword but high max HP + Atma Weapon + Offering means an easy 9999 x4 damage on your attacks. If you can get a 2nd Atma Weapon (stolen in Kefka's Tower or something?) then you dual wield them and it's possible to chump any boss in the game immediately because nothing has 80k HP.

If you only have 1 Atma Weapon then the easiest setup is Muscle Belt + Offering while your max HP is low.

seiferguy posted:

You only have to use him for Daryl's Tomb and whichever dungeon you decide to take on to get the next character and then you can dump him for whoever.

Or you immediately go to the Veldt and get Gau back, or Narshe for Mog and the Moogle Charm.

I'd also suggest you consider giving no magic to someone so that you can turn that character in to your dedicated Dragon's Neck character. My first playthrough of the game I got every single spell on Sabin and he was level 60+ and he was horrible for the arena because he'd use so much useless poo poo. Having someone whose choices end up being "attack, cast ultima, cast Merton (with fire absorb equipped)" makes that stuff so much simpler.

Rei_ posted:

How the HELL are you supposed to get Mog's Water Dance unless someone loving tells you to go back to one of two places you really have no reason to ever go to

Exploration. :colbert:

Kyrosiris posted:

In the original DOOM I got the chainsaw by watching the background playthrough and memorizing where the hidden doors were. When I finally beat the level my playtime was well over an hour and I think the timer just said "sucked" instead. :v:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Xavier434 posted:

I remember playing FF IV and I never died once until I fought those 3 sister's right before you go in to fight Golbez. I was so shocked by the failure that I started grinding XP like crazy in some forest. When I say grind, I mean that I put in hours almost every day for over a month because I thought that the sisters were really hard. I had thousands of HP and was insanely over leveled when I tried it again. Yet, Tellah still only had 90 MP which I thought was pretty funny.

Well Tellah only having 90 MP was kind of a plot point because Meteo costs 99 MP and it he couldn't physically use it, and has to sacrifice his body to use it once.

edit: the optional dungeons in FFVI can be cheesed if you have enough patience to run through Kefka's Tower and steal the lightbringer / illumina from the final battle. You can do that as many times as you want.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 19, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

seiferguy posted:

Well Tellah only having 90 MP was kind of a plot point because Meteo costs 99 MP and it he couldn't physically use it, and has to sacrifice his body to use it once.

Well, that and from a gameplay perspective it keeps you on a very limited supply of -aga spell castings, forcing you to be careful with how you use his magic.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Earthbound guide was only good for the scratch and sniff stickers. Also I had a Pokemon Red/Blue guide that was pretty great.

My Final Fantasy VI guide is.. not great.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In my most recent playthrough of FFVI, I decided to do a different kind of playthrough that turned out to be really fun. I didn't want to do a Natural Magic game, especially with leaving all those esper stat-ups on the table, so instead, I made up my own little "Esper Affinity Chart." I divided espers into tiers based on how powerful the magic they taught was, and then decided which characters were allowed to equip which espers. Tier 1 espers (most of the ones in the first half of the game) could be used by at most three people. Like, only Terra, Celes, and Relm could use Maduin. Tier 2 espers could be used by two people at most, and Tier 3 espers, the best of the best, could only ever be used by one character.

I tried to strike a balance between "this esper makes sense for this character on a story/thematic level" and "boy it would sure be nice if this character could cast X spell."

It wasn't exactly a "challenge" run or anything, but it was really fun, because I ended up with characters who all managed to be really different from one another. I think if I were to do it again, I'd go farther and make it so each esper can only ever be used by one person, ever, sort of like FFXII. Some characters would end up getting shafted, though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Harlock posted:

Earthbound guide was only good for the scratch and sniff stickers. Also I had a Pokemon Red/Blue guide that was pretty great.

Here's your problem, no Nintendo seal of quality :haw:

edit: I remember one of Nintendo Power's offer if I resubscribed to them was a choice of 2 players guides. I picked this one and Super Metroid. Nintendo Power owned at giving out free stuff.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 19, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow combo guide owned

3 games in one guide my mind was blown at the value

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Harlock posted:

haha I just sold one of these in SA Mart a few months ago. What a weird loving guide.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hey guys the free curtain call tracks are different from what was said initially. It's not shadowlord from nier, it's the song from FF Legend 2 (what the hell is that) and the song from Romancing Saga 3. I'm gonna spend a dollar on shadowlord and see how it turned out

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If you want a great battle stage setup, get your guys some extra CP, give them skills that trigger quickly (Focus 1+2 is popular) and added cut. Only certain people get added cut but it basically procs when enough skills go off. Eventually you get so many skills going off your added cuts are triggering more added cuts.

Added Cut doesn't trigger Added Cut.

The general consesus is that if you want to kill things quickly and aren't concerned with health, best party is three Added Cut users with 2-3 Focus skills, and a good magic user (for maps where you have lots of touch or slide triggers instead). Terra/Shantotto are the best mages, but if you want to run all guys then Vivi or Ace are the best option for magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Onion knight's level 1 spells are good for this