Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Want more new Rosenstock despite the fact he literally just made a new loving album?

https://soundcloud.com/reallyrecords/jeff-rosenstock-nearly-midnight-honolulu-neko-case-cover

I think Jeff is physically unable to stop making music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
For every yin there is a yang, for black there is white, for up there is down, for Jeff Rosenstock there is Tomas Kalnoky.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I still whole heartedly endorse the idea of Jeff and Tomas being necessary opposites.

There's some commentary he put up for the album which is a good read: http://www.purevolume.com/news/EXCLUSIVE-Jeff-Rosenstock-We-Cool-Track-Commentary-Album-Stream

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What have Jeff's setlists been like with his recent shows? Is it all solo stuff, mostly solo stuff with some BtMI, what?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Literally The Worst posted:

What have Jeff's setlists been like with his recent shows? Is it all solo stuff, mostly solo stuff with some BtMI, what?

All solo stuff the few times I've seen him.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure he's trying to put BTMI behind him

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
He mentioned in an AMA that he doesn't want to do BTMI songs as a sign of respect to his band mates. He feels like if he played them he'd basically be saying "Hey I don't need you guys to play these songs, and I'm playing them even though we broke up and got rid of you guys"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
As long as John is there playing bass BtMI will never really end goddammit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been so distracted with work and overtime lately, I've neglected my playing. I picked up my saxophone, and I feel like I've lost it. I've decided it's time to get back into the swing of things. I'm getting rid of the eighties corporate rock I've accumulated (via eBay, maybe, though I've been thinking of doing an SA Mart thread as well) because the time for a wank is over. I'm getting back into the music that got me started as a musician; the first music that really meant something to me.

This means, among other things, getting back into ska again!

So, I dusted off my copy of The Specials and put it in the CD tray.

"A Message to You, Rudy" starts up, Rico and Dick on horns, and I'm blown away. "Nite Klub" with that great bass line, and all the rest I had forgotten how good this was. This entire album is amazing. I know Elvis Costello's production gets slagged off a lot but I think it's great. It's got a real sixties beat group vibe to it and I love it.

I don't know why I ever left this.

Next on the agenda, One Step Beyond (because Madness - specifically the song "The Prince" - is what really got me taking saxophone seriously in the first place), then switching over to my favourite American ska album, Dub 56.

Of course, I need to dig out my old soul and reggae and R&B albums, start getting some more of them. I've got Searching for the Young Soul Rebels on my listen list after those two. Then I need to get back into the jazz. Seriously.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 15, 2015

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

He mentioned in an AMA that he doesn't want to do BTMI songs as a sign of respect to his band mates. He feels like if he played them he'd basically be saying "Hey I don't need you guys to play these songs, and I'm playing them even though we broke up and got rid of you guys"

I'm actually okay with that line of reasoning, but it just really makes me want a BTMI reunion show :(

I'm never going to hear Pog or Soul Crushing Northeast live and it's depressing

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been listening to a lot of Toasters stuff lately. Can anybody recommend any American ska that's closer to the 2 Tone stuff or more jazz/soul than rock-influenced (i.e. closer to the Toasters than, say, Reel Big Fish or Less Than Jake)?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been listening to a lot of Toasters stuff lately. Can anybody recommend any American ska that's closer to the 2 Tone stuff or more jazz/soul than rock-influenced (i.e. closer to the Toasters than, say, Reel Big Fish or Less Than Jake)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHSlmN1e3zo
http://www.soulradics.com/

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Aggrolites- Mr. Misery

Not American but By The Rivers are awesome.

Also not American, but the Liptones .

And of course, the Pietasters!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Probably shouldn't have specified American! It's more non-Jamaican/non-British ska that isn't just "punk/rock with horns".

Heh. I'm reminded of how, about three or four years ago, I found an old web page which had a 10-year old interview with the guy who played trumpet in Save Ferris (I liked the one album they did with "The World Is New" and "Come On Eileen" though I'm not sure whether I'd have called it ska), who, when asked how he got into the band, explains that one of the other guys in the band was a high school classmate who invited him to join a ska band, and when he asked, "What's ska?" he received the answer, "It's like rock with horns."

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hepcat is like this

They're pretty good

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Westbound Train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVVis5TQ47s

e: Also, if you're looking for something that kinda bridges the gap between the classic two tone and the third wave, I really think Mu330 fills that niche, at least Ultra Panic does. For every song they have that is more third wave up tempo like a RBF/LTJ-type band, that album's got one with a more slow and bluesy two tone kind of sound. I'm a pretty big fan of their sound and everyone already knows that Dan P owns so if you've never listened to them you should fix that pretty much immediately.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 20, 2015

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Seconding Westbound Train, they're really loving good. Transitions is probably one of my favorite albums of all time. The Slackers actually have quite a few songs that might fit your tastes, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t15g9aXCfnE

X Ray Monster
Feb 6, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't think any of these are American bands, but here's some stuff to check out.

Many Loves Ska Jazz (Ska/Jazz)
Ipse Dixie
May

The Delegators (Ska/Soul)
I Didn't Mean To Break Your Heart
Minus One

Mampy (Ska/Reggae/Jazz)
Ska Time
Wonky Monkey
Swing Town

Bottle of Moonshine
Horst
Medusa
Frankly

Le Grand Miercoles (Ska/Reggae/Surf/Spaghetti Western)
Cowboy Fantasma
Western Standart Time

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Look up streetlight manifesto and toms old hand catch 22

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Look up streetlight manifesto and toms old hand catch 22

For bands that sound like the Toasters? Umm

Edit: Aside from what's been suggested, and if you don't mind bands that don't exist anymore. Scofflaws, Let's Go Bowling, older Fishbone (sort of, they're a little all over the place), Skavoovie & the Epitones, Dance Hall Crashers, and Pietasters.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 20, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I've heard some of these names, so it'll be fun finding out what they sound like.

Side note: I've tried Streetlight Manifesto before, but for whatever reason I couldn't really get into them. I'll have to give them another go sometime. Honestly, though, the first time around, I wasn't really into the ska punk stuff. I thought the Toasters were great when I heard Dub 56 (I bought it on iTunes solely because of its album art), the Save Ferris cover of "Come On Eileen" led me to the It Means Everything album, which I liked, and I thought Reel Big Fish were fun, but beyond that I didn't really get into a lot of it. Now that I'm trying to get back into all my old music, I might give it another spin, though as I mentioned I'm keen to try stuff that's a little closer to what I enjoyed before.

Thing is, I'm not entirely sure what put me off. I was big into 2 Tone* for a good long time (Madness was my gateway drug; I used to know all the Madness songs on piano), then I got into soul music, Searching For the Young Soul Rebels and all the mod revival stuff (the Jam, obviously, though I think it goes without saying that Secret Affair were the best group in that scene) and even some of the Britpop for a little while. It may very well have been the old "it's just rock with horns" stereotype.

*On which note, I've recently found this website that does these "ska EP" 7-inch vinyl releases in full-on Walt Jabsco colours, collecting ska tracks recorded by otherwise non-ska artists. They look to be mostly out of print, and I have most of these songs in one format or another anyway, but they'd be nice for a collection. There's one for Lily Allen, one for Amy Winehouse (:allears:), Wilko Johnson (:swoon:), Ian Dury and the Blockheads (:syoon:), Billy Bragg, a "Celtic ska" one for the Pogues, one with some very early No Doubt, and three Jools Hollands.

Boy, this was a long post. Sorry. :shobon:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You know what's a good band that did an album with ska songs? Bomb the Music Industry. Let's tlak about them some more.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

You know what's a good band that did an album with ska songs? Bomb the Music Industry. Let's tlak about them some more.

Hey yeah I like that band.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
They have a few good songs. I like the one about being drunk and not growing up.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
Another two tone-ish band that I've always lumped in with the Toasters is the Barrymores (their first album was kinda rear end, but All Nighters is solid).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

They have a few good songs. I like the one about being drunk and not growing up.

wait are we talking about Less Than Jake now

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think you'd like this little known ska band Reel Big Fish

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

drunk asian neighbor posted:

wait are we talking about Less Than Jake now

No that's about not moving out of your hometown but wanting to, BtMI is the one with the song about how everyone else has their poo poo together and you don't.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Double posting because Jeff's new album charted at #7 on Billboard's Heatseekers chart and that's fuckin dope.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I saw Jeff tonight (yet again) and he loving slayed (yet again). I've heard of guys playing a guitar with their teeth but I've never seen anyone do it with a harmonica in their mouth.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
did you enjoy Smith Street?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Yes I did. I missed the first couple songs but they have an extremely excellent sense of tempo. Their drummer is loving awesome.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

aw gently caress was tonight the warsaw show with AJJ? I was busy watching college hockey what the gently caress is wrong with me they're just going to lose tomorrow, or win, what the gently caress does it matter sports are fleeting and jeff is forever

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dandy Kaiser posted:

aw gently caress was tonight the warsaw show with AJJ? I was busy watching college hockey what the gently caress is wrong with me they're just going to lose tomorrow, or win, what the gently caress does it matter sports are fleeting and jeff is forever

Nothing is forever dude

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Jeff is the new Tomas

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit

Wheat Loaf posted:

*On which note, I've recently found this website that does these "ska EP" 7-inch vinyl releases in full-on Walt Jabsco colours, collecting ska tracks recorded by otherwise non-ska artists. They look to be mostly out of print, and I have most of these songs in one format or another anyway, but they'd be nice for a collection. There's one for Lily Allen, one for Amy Winehouse (:allears:), Wilko Johnson (:swoon:), Ian Dury and the Blockheads (:syoon:), Billy Bragg, a "Celtic ska" one for the Pogues, one with some very early No Doubt, and three Jools Hollands.

Boy, this was a long post. Sorry. :shobon:

Are you referring to Jump Up Records?

Try some Prizefighters, Dropsteppers, The Bishops, and Rougher All Stars.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Jeff is the new Tomas

impossible, jeff puts out new music

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Shabadu posted:

impossible, jeff puts out new music

:vince:

Jeff also puts his old band behind him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Jeff is the new Tomas

Jeff invites underage girls backstage too?