Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Are you an old player looking for a way back into the mafia community? Are you a serious person that wants to play a serious game?

Welcome to Dr. Winslow's serious game for serious folk

This is a flavourless, open setup game.

Mafia is a party game that can be played in a group or online. The premise is that a group of townsfolk (the good guys) try to discover and root out the Mafia menace hiding amongst them. The game has day and night phases: During the day everyone attempts to discover who the Mafia are, and vote to eliminate them (execution). During the night discussion is halted and the Mafia choose someone to kill. The game ends when either the Mafia have control of the town or every Mafia member is dead.

Setup
For this game we will be playing a Matrix6 set up. This is a setup that is designed to give the scum and town factions a roughly equal chance to win. I will roll a genuine six sided die and based on the result we will use one of the following set ups:

Each one has an equal chance of happening. There will not be any roles that are not listed here. If you're unfamiliar with the roles, I've included links to the relevant articles explaining each role.

Action Resolution
Roleblocks completely stop the target's role from happening. If recipient had an action, they will be informed that it was not successful. If the Town BP is roleblocked, they aren't considered BP that night but they will not be informed. The Roleblocker can also perform the night kill.

The Jailor adheres to all applicable rules above but the person they use their action on will be protected for the night. The Jailor can't Jail themselves. If the Jailor and the RoleBlocker target each other then the Jailor will be Roleblocked and the Roleblocker will not. This only matters if the Roleblocker is also submitting the scum kill.

Regarding all other actions, no target will be informed the actions were used on them, although the scum kill target can probably guess.

The Doctor cannot self protect or target the same player on consecutive nights.

The only reason priority matters is if the Jailor and the Roleblocker target each other the Roleblocker wins.

Votefinder

There will be a little posting bot called votefinder who counts your votes. Don't mind him, he's just here to help. To make sure it reads your votes properly use the bold tags (control-b will get them to pop up) and put two pound signs, then write vote and who you're voting for. It will look like this:

quote:

##vote MMM

RULES

• No editing your posts.
  • No talking OOT unless you are able to do so.
  • Don't post your role PM.
  • Don't spectator-post.
  • Don't post after hammers or daykills.
  • Don't post after dying.
  • Don't encrypt your posts, make Toxx clauses, or play Truth or Dare.
  • Don't lurk. I will tell you if I don't think you're posting enough.
  • Don't go against the spirit of the game. The spirit of the game is inviting and fun.
  • Be nice!
  • :chillpill:

Players

1. a worthy uhh
  2. Alasdair Crawfish
  3. Atoramos
  4. Canuckistan
  5. Crazyeyes
  6. King of Bleh
  7. Orvin
  8. Samfucius
  9. TheRam

Resources:
The Mafia Discussion Thread - Come and chat without the risk of being killed!
The New Game Announcement Thread - Play more games! MORE MORE MORE!

Jump King fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Vanilla Town Role PM posted:

You are Town! You have no special powers.

Town Cop Role PM posted:

You are a Town Cop! You can investigate one player a night and get a result of TOWN or SCUM

Town Doctor Role PM posted:

You are a Town Doctor! You can protect one player a night they will be safe from death

Town Jailor Role PM posted:

You are a Town Jailor! You can jail one player a night and they will be safe from kills but will be unable to perform their action

Town Tracker Role PM posted:

You are a Town Tracker! You can Track one player a night and you will be told who they visited, if they visited anybody.

Town BP Role PM posted:

You are a Town Bulletproof! The first time somebody tries to kill you the action fails and you do not die

Scum Goon Role PM posted:

You are a Scum Goon! Your scum bud is _____ and your scumdoc is here.) Each night the two of you can choose to kill one player.

Scum Roleblocker Role PM posted:

You are a Scum Roleblocker! Your scum bud is _____ and your scumdoc is here.) Each night the two of you can choose to kill one player. Additionally, you can block one player each night and their action will not succeed. You can block and kill on the same night.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 20, 2015

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Yep

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Excited to play a real game with all my old bros.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

also me

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

Hanging just next to your door in the hallway is a painting of an EXQUISITE WIZARD. Your mother collects these awful things IRONICALLY.
OKAY ILL PLAY

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I'll join

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mills how serious are you with this?

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

Hanging just next to your door in the hallway is a painting of an EXQUISITE WIZARD. Your mother collects these awful things IRONICALLY.
mills doesnt joke around.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Three of my old school bros just signed up for the privilege to play with me. How could I say no?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mills posted:

Three of my old school bros just signed up for the privilege to play with me. How could I say no?

Ok, you're in.

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

can I be scum with mills?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Alasdair Crawfish posted:

can I be scum with mills?

It's possible!

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
All righty I haven't done one of these in a while - count me in :D

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I haven't played in years and then I got a PM from someone asking me if I was interested in getting back in the game.

I am.

I am interested.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
yeah ok

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Samfucius posted:

I haven't played in years and then I got a PM from someone asking me if I was interested in getting back in the game.

I am.

I am interested.

Are you me? I appear to have a clone. Obviously you're some kind of miller/twin/fated/lover. And I must kill you.

drat, yeah, I'm back in.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Samfucius posted:

I am.

I am interested.

This. Also expect lots of empty quoting because I'm a terrible player who should stay away from this game.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

OK me.

Aww, I think there's no more room.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

If someone backs out before the game starts, I am interested.

Don't put me down as an alternate though, as I hope to get in some sort of game soonish, and I definitely don't want to start back up in Mafia trying to balance two games.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

MMM if you get too many returnees and would prefer to run with them then you have my blessing to take my spot. Otherwise I'm cool to play!

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
I'll do it if I'm welcome and there's space.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I am not a serious person but I do take offense easily so I'll join if there is room.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I am an old fogie in terms of this game being around for a while, but I just got into another game, so I'm going to bow out of this one (I don't think I was in it to begin with.)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'll start it tomorrow by rnging the list of signed up players, if you don't end up in this one the. You should go play flatluigi's game.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Before this game starts just wanna say that I am pretty excited to get back into mafia. I played a decent number of games back in the day and the only time I was anything other than vanilla town was when I was the world's worst mason. Maybe I'll get some flavor this time, maybe I'll actually do something worthwhile.

It's probably for the best if I don't. :shrek:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I randomized the list of signups and here are the players:

Here are the replacements:

If you're not able to play, let me know as soon as possible so I can replace people. I'll send role pms out soonish.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I can be a fourth replacement but only want to be put in the game if LordVorbis is in the game

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Role PMs out

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (9): a worthy uhh, Alasdair Crawfish, Atoramos, Canuckistan, Crazyeyes, King of Bleh, Max, Mills, Orvin

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to lynch. The current deadline is March 24th, 2015 at midnight EDT -- that's in about 2 days, 2 hours.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
confirmed

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Confirmed.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Confirmed!

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

confirmed

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

##vote:Mills

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

##vote Mills

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Whoops I made a mistake here

Max posted:

I am an old fogie in terms of this game being around for a while, but I just got into another game, so I'm going to bow out of this one (I don't think I was in it to begin with.)

TheRam replaces Max

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

please no.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Yay! :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Dissertation due next Thurs/Fri so I won't be spergin out so much until then.

• Locked thread