Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Tarezax posted:

By the way MShadowy, I saw a dig at your color scheme in the Junk Pirates market: what appears to be a relatively rare variant of the Boxenstein. According to the description, it's just a normal Boxenstein, but "painted a hideous shade of blue" :v:

Ha, awesome. I'm not entirely certain it's so much a dig against the Shadowyards Teal and Cyan scheme as it is mendonca's (in his own words) "questionable sense of colour." That I also have a questionable sense of color probably just makes it a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Is there a prepackaged mod installation anywhere?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Cathair posted:

Yes, you can do some crazy poo poo with the Kark's teleport, that's why what is basically a more fragile Onslaught costs as much to deploy as a Paragon.

The Karkinos loses by a fair margin in a brawl with a Paragon. Its special can be used to overload a Paragon, but if you're not packing quite enough of the right kind of ordinance to kill it before it recovers, you're hosed because you'll never get out of range before it eats you alive. The teleport makes an Onslaught's weakness easy to exploit, but getting caught in front of one while your teleport is on cooldown is even worse for a Karkinos than being in front of a Paragon.

Your proposed changes would make the Karkinos a stupid glassy gimmick ship that would be pointless to take in the campaign over certain cruisers, or a Heavy Armor Onslaught, for a fraction of the cost.

Also, the Paragon's lack of ability to counter greater range is an awfully thin weakness when there are very few things capable of outranging it in the first place, and in the campaign you won't be deploying it alone unless you're just trying to show off.

If you get into a 1vs1 brawl head on with a paragon you obviously let the computer play it. Because why would you ever jump in front of a paragon to overload it when you can cripple and kill it by jumping in behind it? Likewise it is neigh impossible for a player to get "ambushed" like that by an onslaught unless you let the computer steer.

And you can try to implement those changes yourself, just open the blackrock ship csv with trylobots ship editor. The changes by no means make the Kark into a glassy gimmick ship, they just make you more picky of where to actually teleport and release your murderrain.

The only valid complaint against tuning down that flux tank is that the computer would be even more sucky with suicide jumping.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Anticheese posted:

Is there a prepackaged mod installation anywhere?

Currently no, but if you go to the starsector+ or the nexrelin threads on the official mod forum you can find convenient links to the most popular and updated mods.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
So, I jumped a very small Templar fleet for the first time today. 2 destroyers(?), 3 or 4 frigates and a couple fighter wings.

They killed all of my frigates except for the Brawler (so 9/10 casualties), and gave me and the other 2 medusas and the Desidinova that I deployed a hard time.

First frigate died within seconds to 8 Clarents or something ridiculous.

Lesson learned: Holy crap. No frigates in Templar fights, I guess?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so I installed SS+ and nexerelin, and it asks me who I want to side up with. Should I just pick a normal faction or go with one of the mod ones? I've never really played much before so I'm not sure if buddying up to a mod faction from the start would be more difficult.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Backov posted:

So, I jumped a very small Templar fleet for the first time today. 2 destroyers(?), 3 or 4 frigates and a couple fighter wings.

They killed all of my frigates except for the Brawler (so 9/10 casualties), and gave me and the other 2 medusas and the Desidinova that I deployed a hard time.

First frigate died within seconds to 8 Clarents or something ridiculous.

Lesson learned: Holy crap. No frigates in Templar fights, I guess?

Phase frigates are still OK vs smaller Templar ships. Vs larger ones they have a nasty tendency to get murdered by the shield burst or death explosions.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

queeb posted:

so I installed SS+ and nexerelin, and it asks me who I want to side up with. Should I just pick a normal faction or go with one of the mod ones? I've never really played much before so I'm not sure if buddying up to a mod faction from the start would be more difficult.

On top of this I chose BRDY since I read the stuff is awesome. I can't find any pirates or anything to kill now, seems like everything is massive fleets. Should I switch back to vanilla until i get a better grasp on stuff?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Make sure to check out the other star systems. The pirates have stations just like any other factions and the systems that have pirate stations are usually flooded with pirates.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

queeb posted:

On top of this I chose BRDY since I read the stuff is awesome. I can't find any pirates or anything to kill now, seems like everything is massive fleets. Should I switch back to vanilla until i get a better grasp on stuff?

I'd recommend that your very first campaign be vanilla-only, if only because BRDY ships handle a lot better and vent a lot faster than vanilla ships. If you train your piloting skills on a Mantis, every vanilla ship you fly, even high-performance solo fleet wreckers like the Tempest or Medusa, will feel like your vents are clogged with space mud and your thrusters are stuck in first gear. Not everybody does, but it's a lot better idea to learn to drive on a Honda before you get behind the wheel of a Lancia Stratos.

If you have the "massive fleets of pirates and nothing small to fight" problem, I'm assuming you're still early in the game and using a single frigate. Maybe you already know this trick, but the right combination of Tab and Spacebar allows you to quickly toggle pause on the system map, so you can get a choppy but functional real-time map of the system and see where fleets are going. Look for a large pirate fleet that's headed towards a large Hegemony or Independent fleet, then go to where they will meet and wait for them to fight. You can then mop up the survivors. Lots of times they will battle multiple times before one fleet decides to run, you can go ahead and just barge right into their battle once you think the pirates are weakened enough. You get exactly as much experience, bounty, and reputation for killing a Lasher (D) and two Enforcer (D)s at 10% CR and heavy damage as you get for killing them at full power, but it's a lot easier.

Also, if you can afford the fuel, try to do your asskicking in a system where there's a bounty on pirates. Even better is when there's multiple overlapping bounties, such as when Jangala and Asharu both have a bounty on pirates.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tarezax posted:

After losing my fleet a couple times, I've found a new pair of Clarent MRMs to stick on my Desdinova :getin:

My last fleet wipe was to a Templar fleet with two cruisers in it. Medium mount Clarents are even more terrifying :stare:

Wait until you run into something with the large-mount Clarent.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I have honestly never seen the medium clarent tube mount, only the single/dual small mounts and the large Roland system. No matter the stripe, clarents are mean to go up against.

Edit: I've also never seen the Joyeuse Fractal Laser.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 19, 2015

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
I'm still terrified to fight Archbishops. Because they can rearm the clarent bombers., well that and the fact that its a Templar capital ship.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
The noise Clarents make when they hit things is just so satisfying. On the topic of missiles: for anyone with Neutrino, another dude who isn't the author of the mod made a fix to bring the advanced photon torpedo back from uselessness with the core missile changes in the last major update, and they're back to murdering everything with blue shards of death.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Are the Templars and the Luddites bros, or are they competing religions?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The Templars aren't really about proselytizing, they just murder everything. So no, they're probably not bros.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
The Templars and the Luddites actually hate each other a lot. They're the only faction that the Templars are vengeful towards.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I experienced, for the first time, an absolutely MASSIVE Luddite armada that traveled to the Templar home world and laid waste to all the of Templar planetary defenses. Something like 4 Onslaughts, 10 Cruisers, a dozen destroyers and another half dozen frigates with a bunch carriers and fighters to boot. The circle for the fleet took up half the screen.

Of course, after three or four sorties, the giant fleet got whittled down and limped out of the system but I'd never seen any of the factions take the fight to Ascalon. I was actually pretty impressed.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Tanith posted:

The noise Clarents make when they hit things is just so satisfying.

I really wanted them to have that odd, Evangelion-like vibe to them.

McGiggins posted:

Are the Templars and the Luddites bros, or are they competing religions?

Luddism is actually a fairly sensible religion (apart from the Cult) that wants to stabilize the course of human development, and claims actual results in making the Sector a better place for the common man. The Knights Templar are religious fanatics who want to a) kill a lot of people and b) purge the entire Sector of post-Domain influence, and god knows why. They also use alien, near-godlike technology, making them complete infidels in the eyes of the Luddites.

FooF posted:

I experienced, for the first time, an absolutely MASSIVE Luddite armada that traveled to the Templar home world and laid waste to all the of Templar planetary defenses. Something like 4 Onslaughts, 10 Cruisers, a dozen destroyers and another half dozen frigates with a bunch carriers and fighters to boot. The circle for the fleet took up half the screen.

Of course, after three or four sorties, the giant fleet got whittled down and limped out of the system but I'd never seen any of the factions take the fight to Ascalon. I was actually pretty impressed.

I love those fleets. :black101:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 20, 2015

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

I really wanted them to have that odd, Evangelion-like vibe to them.

Luddism is actually a fairly sensible religion (apart from the Cult) that wants to stabilize the course of human development, and claims actual results in making the Sector a better place for the common man. The Knights Templar are religious fanatics who want to a) kill a lot of people and b) purge the entire Sector of post-Domain influence, and god knows why. They also use alien, near-godlike technology, making them complete infidels in the eyes of the Luddites.

I love those fleets. :black101:

Clarents are fantastic.

And now I'm almost tempted to do a faction relationship chart, but that might get stupid complicated fast.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Zudgemud posted:

If you get into a 1vs1 brawl head on with a paragon you obviously let the computer play it. Because why would you ever jump in front of a paragon to overload it when you can cripple and kill it by jumping in behind it? Likewise it is neigh impossible for a player to get "ambushed" like that by an onslaught unless you let the computer steer.

I feel like you kind of got the point without realizing what the point was. Of course you wouldn't ever actually engage like that, those are hypothetical scenarios to demonstrate that the Karkinos isn't really that great without the teleport. Since the teleport ability already has some severe restrictions on its use, I don't think the ship itself needs to be made outright bad when not ambushing people, especially because-

Zudgemud posted:

the computer would be even more sucky with suicide jumping
-which is an extremely valid complaint. AI usability is important in this game where you lead an AI-controlled fleet, imagine that!

Beyond certain reasonable limits, things being exploitable when piloted by players isn't as important to me as it is to some people. That's only part of the game, and anyway it's not the kind of game where you play just to win by any means possible.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
So I bought a Knight last night. What a disappointment. Really hosed up weapons layout, lots of small mounts, no large. Going to sell it.

I've been wanting to try the Asura and the Stenos but haven't seen them for sale. What's another fun/good cruiser/battleship to try out? The Karkinos is obviously on the list.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

MShadowy posted:

Clarents are fantastic.

And now I'm almost tempted to do a faction relationship chart, but that might get stupid complicated fast.

Do it, let the sperg surface

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008

Backov posted:

So I bought a Knight last night. What a disappointment. Really hosed up weapons layout, lots of small mounts, no large. Going to sell it.

I've been wanting to try the Asura and the Stenos but haven't seen them for sale. What's another fun/good cruiser/battleship to try out? The Karkinos is obviously on the list.

The nevermore is pretty great. As for the Knight is basically ment to be a fleet supplement ship. Its not really something a player would probably enjoy flying as its job is to basically sit back and poop missiles and occasionally tank hits while reinforcing fighters. Though they can have some bite to them if you load them up right.

And you'll probably see a lot of Stenoses before you see an Asura. They're stupid rare. But its probably the most fun phase ship to fly.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Backov posted:

Got a Nevermore?

Among vanilla cruisers, the Eagle is fun and versatile, but it's kinda like a Nevermore without the neat strike gimmick.

For battleships, the Onslaught is fun as hell to charge people with, but turns very slowly, so you'll probably want a lot of character skills behind it.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Finally managed to capture a Crusader. I've had Jesuits before and love them but Crusaders have waaay more firepower. On an unrelated note, it's taken me a billion years to actually mouse over the Templar Core icon and I just realized that Templar ships cut all weapon flux costs in half. For the longest time I couldn't figure out how the hell they ran all their tremendously flux heavy weapons, lattice shields, etc. and still didn't seem to generate that much flux. God drat they're overpowered but I love it. Once I grabbed the Crusader, I gutted the rest of my fleet and cannibalized all the random Templar weaponry I had to put it on one ship. With one Crusader, I can take on entire armadas.

The only thing that I wish the Templar fleet had was some kind of transport. Having Domain-era ships tagging along feels wrong but I can't keep enough supplies and fuel to keep myself going very long. A Templar fuel/cargo carrier (sort of like the Blackrock one) would be nice, just to keep it themed and so there was another option to keep Templar fighters outside of owning the impossible to get Archbishop.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
I thought Templar ships blew up when you take them out? Are they harder to capture than other ships because of this?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress it, you've convinced me to restart tonight and spend all weekend running with all the compatible factions.

While I may love my carefully gathered and used wolf fleet, a new level of challenge cannot be simply ignored.

R.I.P Wolf-Fleet, Cycle 302, you will be missed.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Backov posted:

I thought Templar ships blew up when you take them out? Are they harder to capture than other ships because of this?

They don't always blow up, sometimes they just get disabled, in which case they usually seem to come up for a boarding opportunity.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Cathair posted:

Got a Nevermore?

I had one, and bought another due to lack of good other options. However, I am a little underwhelmed. It's probably the way I've fitted it. Can someone share a good fit?

I don't fly it, too slow - but the AI flies it like a grandmother. It will get up to 30% flux, get the target venting and then back off and vent itself. When I fly it, I'm too aggressive and end up overloading it. :) The issue seems to be for me that if I stay close and overload/force the guy to vent, I can't follow up. The weapons just aren't dishing enough damage, or they're too flux inefficient. Probably my fit, as I said.

The sweet spot for me, and it's OH SO SWEET, is the Asura. Holy crap that thing is amazing. I've got 2 Rhon lasers I found mounted on it, and the rest much easier to find stuff, and it just eats everything. The only time I have problems is when I overextend and overload, or am unable to uncloak because the enemy has put 100 missiles into the space I am occupying.

Love the gimmick where it gets faster when phased. Amazing ship. I'd rather have two more of those than the Nevermores.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Backov posted:

I had one, and bought another due to lack of good other options. However, I am a little underwhelmed. It's probably the way I've fitted it. Can someone share a good fit?

I don't fly it, too slow - but the AI flies it like a grandmother. It will get up to 30% flux, get the target venting and then back off and vent itself. When I fly it, I'm too aggressive and end up overloading it. :) The issue seems to be for me that if I stay close and overload/force the guy to vent, I can't follow up. The weapons just aren't dishing enough damage, or they're too flux inefficient. Probably my fit, as I said.

I find that the stock Assault fit is a great place to start, replacing the forward small ballistics with needlers or railguns for more consistent pressure at range and adding Hardened Shields if you've got enough spare OP, or Extended Shields if you're going to have the AI fly it. I've tried to improve on this fit but only ended up circling around to almost the same thing, given that I like a lot of burst damage on this ship. You've got tremendous alpha-strike ability with excellent armor cracking, 20 voidspears to finish the job or tip an overload if your blasters and lance fell just a sliver short, plus your Shredder battery is pretty great at helping to eat hull after you've cracked their armor.

Give flying it a shot again once you've got some piloting skills on your character, a base speed of 80 with frequently-available jet boosts is decent for any ship and very respectable for a cruiser. An Asura only has a base speed of 95, for example.

Backov posted:

The sweet spot for me, and it's OH SO SWEET, is the Asura. Holy crap that thing is amazing. I've got 2 Rhon lasers I found mounted on it, and the rest much easier to find stuff, and it just eats everything. The only time I have problems is when I overextend and overload, or am unable to uncloak because the enemy has put 100 missiles into the space I am occupying.

Love the gimmick where it gets faster when phased. Amazing ship. I'd rather have two more of those than the Nevermores.

Using non-Templar weapons, I have yet to find a fit for this that I like as much as my railguns-and-squalls Desdinova, or at least to make it effective enough to justify its exorbitant deployment cost. I've been trying to build it around an Autopulse Laser, but I think I'll go back to a Sunstorm or Deva CAS in the main slot and see what I can make of it.

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
So I learned that if you're careful, the starting Martyr you get in Nexerelin when you play as the Templars can screw up just about any midrange fleet you throw it against.

And it just keeps getting better with combat skills. Jesus christ.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
So you start as a Templar and can buy Templar ships?

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
Yeah, but all the Templar stuff is hideously expensive and you're better off playing as a pirate and attempting to capture whatever comes your way, especially early on when you don't have any haulers because the Martyr only has 25 cargo space and you need every last bit for supplies.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So if I'm playing the base game is there any convenient way to raise faction with Tri-Tachyon other than bounties and hoping to find any pirates in their sector?

I want their fancy ships but this takes forever.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

BitterAvatar posted:

So if I'm playing the base game is there any convenient way to raise faction with Tri-Tachyon other than bounties and hoping to find any pirates in their sector?

I want their fancy ships but this takes forever.

Trade with them. Buy a cheap freighter with a bunch of cargo space, avoid hostiles, and trade a bunch of stuff.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kenshin posted:

Trade with them. Buy a cheap freighter with a bunch of cargo space, avoid hostiles, and trade a bunch of stuff.

This also means belly up and pay their drat spacelane robbery fleets the 'tariffs' they demand. :bahgawd:

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Backov posted:

A metagamey BS tactic you can use to get around this is to leave the Templar ship you want to capture until last. As soon as you disable it, but before it explodes, hit escape and claim victory. It will save the ship and allow it to be capturable (with normal chances for ship capture seeming to apply).

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Backov posted:

Are you trying to solo with it, or use it as part of a fleet with fighter cover and support? The Nevermore is brutal in a face-to-face slugging match thanks to its signature weapon and mobility, but dies quick if it gets encircled. A loadout using only BRDY tech that I've found to work well is two Ferroguns for long-range attacks and to help shield busting, three Scalaron Blasters which you link with the Antimatter Lance to provide a hideous amount of burst DPS, four linked Darts to utterly ruin any fighters or frigates that threaten to encircle you, and fill any remaining small slots with Shredders and Argus Particle Beams. Put as many vents as you can, and add the Resistant Flux Conduits to make it vent even faster, Accelerated Shields so your shields come back quicker after venting, and Integrated Targeting Unit to give you a decent range advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

You have to pilot it kinda like a frigate. If you arent good with frigates and flux management it will seem hard.