Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Disclaimer: OP shamelessly stolen and modified from other people

Let's Play Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game!

This will be a 5 Player Base Game (No expansions, but using the Pegasus expansion 'errata') to Kobol.

Rules can be found here. Please read them thoroughly.
Main Battlestar Galactica thread and discussion can be found here

:siren:This my first time attempting to run a game like this, so please tell me immediately if I gently caress something up!:siren:

Playing Guidelines:
  • You must have PMs enabled to play.
  • You are expected to check in at least a couple of time per day. If it is your turn to act and it has been more than 12 hours, I will issue a reminder to you. After 36 hours of inactivity, I may make your decision for you. If there is active discussion concerning your current turn you will not be rushed. I will be leniant if you need extensions as long as you let me know in advance. I'll also be more flexible on weekends and holidays. (Be sure to give me a reminder if there's a holiday coming up in your country or region)
  • All discussion between players must occur in this thread ONLY.
  • All game actions should be made in bold or via PM. Example: "I play Executive Order (LEA 1) on Gaius Baltar." Be sure to list the strength of any card that is played publicly, as well as discarded cards.
  • Do not edit your posts unless I allow you to!. Instead, simply double post or make a new one clarifying the changes.
  • Do not quote posts from more than one page back. The game is less fun if some players have perfect memories.
  • Do not quote anything from my PMs unless it's a card that's about to be public knowledge anyway: for example, a Crisis card you scouted and left on top just before your Crisis step, or the Destination you choose as Admiral. If in doubt, don't quote it and I can post it.
  • Respect the secrecy rules. Battlestar Galactica is a much less interesting game if the secrecy rules are not closely followed. I strongly urge everyone take a look at the official "Secrecy Clarifications" document, the last page of the Official FAQ. In particular, you should only describe your contribution to a skill check as "low" or "high"; you may use "medium" only if you contribute more than 1 card. Even if every player has confirmed Loyalties, secrecy should still be enforced! If you ever need to make a statement about something that isn't public, please use as vague terms as possible. (For example, "The Destination on top is a good option.")
  • If you count cards, consider that information as falling under the standard BSG secrecy rules. You may make general statements about Destiny such as "Destiny should be 3/4 positive" but not "Destiny is 2 POL, 1 TAC, and 1 PIL".

Conditional Orders (COs)
  • I ask that you put in COs for pretty much anything you can think of. All COs should be sent to me via PM, and be clearly labeled by having "CO" and a description of what the CO is for in the subject line.
  • Please clarify if a CO has a duration. Unless you clarify, I will assume they are valid for the rest of the game.
  • I will assume COs accumulate unless you cancel them or obviously contradict them, they expire, or they are obviously no longer relevant (human actions after you reveal as a Cylon, for example).
  • Do not post public COs under any circumstances; this includes posting bold text when it is not your turn to act.
  • Under many circumstances, I will not wait for interrupts before executing actions. The following is a (non-comprehensive) list of examples of things for which I will not ask for interrupts for (and thus will not have interrupts played on them unless you put in a CO):

Declare Emergency
    Strategic Planning on Launch Scout unless there is only one raptor remaining.
    Strategic Planning on attacks by vipers.
    Evasive Maneuvers on unmanned vipers unless the viper is the last ship protecting a civilian.
    Strategic Planning or Evasive Maneuvers to help the Cylon cause.

In potential game changing circumstances I will wait for interrupts if there are no COs, but only for a short duration.

• I will assume that you have a standing CO to pass on any interrupt that you do not hold in your hand. Players are encouraged to put in COs to pass on interrupts that they are holding but do not intend to play. Any COs to pass on interrupts will be resolved once everyone else has already passed, to minimize the amount of information revealed by these COs.
  • If you have an interrupt-style character ability, then you must put in a CO to use your ability when appropriate. For example, I will not ask if Starbuck wants to use Secret Destiny on every crisis card that is played, but she may put in a CO to pause to let her decide when a crisis card meets certain criteria.
  • Be very clear when writing your COs. If I feel it is ambiguous, I will let you know and will not execute the CO. Feel free to make them as complicated as you like, as long as they are understandable.
  • By default Raider Activations will be done in Sector order starting in 1 and ending in 6. If you want to change this for your turn, you must tell me before I do the Raider Activations.

Online Play House Rules
  • By default, turn order will NOT be enforced on Skill Checks. Players may play cards in any order they choose. However, turn order will automatically be enforced in the following circumstances: if there is an Investigative Committee in play, activating the Admiral's Quarters, attempting to escape the Brig, or any Skill Check that would result in the immediate end of the game. Turn order will also be enforced by request of any player.
  • You must post in thread Play # when you play cards into a Skill Check. Be sure to then PM me with your play. Cards should never be played publicly into a Skill Check unless an Investigative Committee is in play.
  • Interrupt cards (For example: Investigative Committee or Scientific Research) should be played as soon as possible, if an interrupt is played after other players have already played in, I will let them revise their contribution. If a majority of players have already played cards in or a significant duration has passed I may disallow an Interrupt.

Other than that, we will be using the official FFG rules with clarifications found in the Unofficial FAQ on BoardGameGeek.

"Pegasus" Errata and Rules in the Base Game
  • The Cylon Locations overlay from Pegasus is being used; the Locations text reflects this. Please Note: The Board Image that will be posted every turn does not have the same text as the errata, if in doubt, check the Locations text below.
  • A revealed Cylon player hands off excess Loyalty cards immediately, provided 6 or less Distance has passed.
  • Cylon turns do have a Prepare for Jump step, if necessary.
  • Investigative Committees play Destiny cards in facedown.
  • There is a maximum of one Executive Order card that can be played every turn.
  • The Quorum hand is limited to 10 cards.
  • Revealed Cylon Players must draw their cards from two different Skill Sets, if possible.

To sign up, please post with ##Make Me A Robot! Sign ups will be open for a day or two. Preference will be given to new players, so let me know if you're a newbie to PBP BSG or the game itself. I'll also give preference to people who have recently run a game, or are currently in the process of hosting one!

Brony Hunter fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Characters

POLITICAL LEADERS

Laura Roslin
Draw: 3 POL, 2 LEA
Setup: President's Office
Religious Visions: When you draw Crisis Cards, draw 2 and choose 1 to resolve. Place the other on the bottom of the deck.
Skilled Politician – Action: Once per game, draw 4 Quorum Cards. Choose 1 to resolve and place the rest on the bottom of the deck. You do not need to be President to use this ability.
Terminal Illness: In order to activate a location you must first discard 2 Skill Cards.

Gaius Baltar
Draw: 2 POL, 1 LEA, 1 ENG
Setup: Research Lab
Delusional Intuition: After you draw a Crisis Card, draw 1 Skill Card of your choice. (It may be from outside your skill set.)
Cylon Detector - Action: Once per game, you may look at all Loyalty Cards belonging to another player.
Coward: You start the game with 2 Loyalty Cards (instead of 1).

Tom Zarek
Draw: 2 POL, 2 LEA, 1 TAC
Setup: Administration
Friends In Low Places: When a player activates the "Administration" or the "Brig" location, you may choose to reduce or increase the difficulty by 2.
Unconventional Tactics - Action: Once per game, lose 1 population to gain 1 of any other resource type.
Convicted Criminal: You may not activate locations occupied by other characters (except the "Brig").

MILITARY LEADERS

William Adama
Draw: 3 LEA, 2 TAC
Setup: Admiral's Quarters
Inspirational Leader: When you draw a Crisis Card, all 1 strength Skill Cards count positive for the skill check.
Command Authority: Once per game, after resolving a skill check, instead of discarding the used Skill Cards, draw them into your hand.
Emotionally Attached: You may not activate the "Admiral's Quarters" location.

Saul Tigh
Draw: 2 LEA, 3 TAC
Setup: Command
Cylon Hatred: When a player activates the "Admiral's Quarters" location, you may choose to reduce the difficulty by 3.
Declare Martial Law - Action: Once per game, give the President title to the Admiral.
Alcoholic: At the start of any player's turn, if you have exactly 1 Skill Card in your hand, you must discard it.

Karl "Helo" Agathon
Draw: 2 LEA, 2 TAC, 1 PIL
ECO Officer: During your turn, you may reroll a die that was just rolled (once per turn). You must use the new result.
Moral Compass: Once per game, after a player makes a choice on a Crisis Card, you may change it.
Stranded: Your character is not placed on the game board at the start of the game. While not on the game board you may not move, be moved, or take actions. At the start of your 2nd turn, place your character on the "Hanger Deck" location.

PILOTS

Lee "Apollo" Adama
Draw: 2 POL/LEA, 1 TAC, 2 PIL
Setup: Launch and pilot a viper in Sector 5 or 6
Alert Viper Pilot: When a viper is placed in a space area from the "Reserves", you may choose to pilot it and take 1 action. You may only do this when you are on a Galactica location, excluding the "Brig".
CAG - Action: Once per game, you may activate up to 6 unmanned vipers.
Headstrong: When you are forced to discard skill cards you must discard randomly.

Kara "Starbuck" Thrace
Draw: 1 LEA/ENG, 2 TAC, 2 PIL
Setup: Hangar Deck
Expert Pilot: When you start your turn piloting a viper, you may take 2 actions during your Action Step (instead of 1).
Secret Destiny: Once per game, immediately after a Crisis Card is revealed, discard it and draw a new one.
Insubordinate: When a player chooses you with the "Admiral's Quarters" location, reduce the difficulty by 3.

Sharon "Boomer" Valerii
Draw: 2 TAC, 2 PIL, 1 ENG
Setup: Armory
Recon: At the end of your turn, you may look at the top card of the Crisis Deck and place it on the top or bottom.
Mysterious Intuition: Once per game, before resolving a skill check on a Crisis Card, choose the result (Pass or Fail), instead of resolving it normally.
Sleeper Agent: During the Sleeper Agent Phase, you are dealt 2 Loyalty Cards (instead of 1) and then moved to the "Brig" location.

SUPPORT

"Chief" Galen Tyrol
Draw: 1 POL, 2 LEA, 2 ENG
Setup: Hangar Deck
Maintenance Engineer: During your turn, after you use a "Repair" Skill Card, you may take another action (once per turn).
Blind Devotion: Once per game, after cards have been added to a Skill Check (but before revealing them), you may choose a skill type. All cards of the chosen type are considered strength 0.
Reckless: Your hand limit is 8 (instead of 10).

Locations

A character moving between ships or from a piloted viper to a ship must discard a skill card.
Characters cannot use their movement to move to a location marked as "Hazardous".

GALACTICA

FTL Control
Action: Jump the fleet if the Jump Preparation track is not in the red zone. Roll a die; on a 6 or less, lose the number of population indicated on the fleet's space on the jump preparation track.

Weapons Control
Action: Attack 1 Cylon ship with Galactica.

Command
Action: Activate up to 2 unmanned vipers.

Communications
Action: Look at the back of 2 civilian ships. You may then move them to adjacent area(s).

Admiral’s Quarters
Action: Choose a character, then pass a 7 LEA/TAC skill check to send him to the "Brig."

Research Lab
Action: Draw 1 engineering or 1 tactics Skill Card.

Hangar Deck
Action: Launch yourself in a viper. You may then take 1 more action.

Armory
Action: Attack a centurion on the Boarding Party track (destroyed on roll of 7-8).

Sickbay (Hazardous)
You may only draw 1 Skill Card during your Receive Skills step.

Brig (Hazardous)
You may not move, draw Crisis Cards, or add more than 1 card to skill checks.
Action: Pass a 7 POL/TAC skill check to move to any location on Galactica.

COLONIAL ONE

Press Room
Action: Draw 2 politics Skill Cards.

President's Office
Action: If you are President, draw 1 Quorum Card. You may then draw 1 additional Quorum Card or play 1 from your hand.

Administration
Action: Choose a character, then pass a 5 POL/LEA skill check to give him the President title.

CYLON LOCATIONS
Human characters cannot move to these locations.

Caprica
Action: Play 1 of your Super Crisis Cards or draw 2 Crisis Cards, choose 1 to resolve, and place the other on the bottom of the deck. (Cylon turns do not have an Activate Cylon Ships step.)

Cylon Fleet
Action: Activate all Cylon ships of one type, or launch 2 raiders and 1 heavy raider from each basestar.

Human Fleet
Action: Look at the top card of the Crisis or Destination deck and place it on the top or bottom of that deck. Then, draw 2 Skill Cards of different types (may come from outside your skill set).

Resurrection Ship (Hazardous)
You draw only 1 Skill Card during your Receive Skills step.
Action: Draw 1 Super Crisis Card.

Skill Cards

Politics (Yellow)
1-2 Consolidate Power: Action: Draw 2 Skill Cards of any type(s). They may come from outside your skill set.
3-5 Investigative Committee: Play before cards are added to a Skill check. All Skill Cards are played faceup during this Skill check (excluding those from the Destiny deck).

Leadership (Green)
1-2 Executive Order: Action: Choose any other player. He may move his character and then take 1 action OR not move and take 2 actions. Limit of 1 "Executive Order" card used per turn.
3-5 Declare Emergency: Play after strength is totaled in a skill check to reduce its difficulty by 2. Limit of 1 "Declare Emergency" card used per skill check.

Tactics (Purple)
1-2 Launch Scout: Action: Risk 1 raptor to roll a die. If 3 or higher, look at the top card of the Crisis or Destination deck and place it on the top or the bottom. Otherwise, destroy 1 raptor.
3-5 Strategic Planning: Play before any die roll to add 2 to the result. Limit of 1 "Strategic Planning" card used per die roll.

Piloting (Red)
1-2 Evasive Maneuvers: Play after any viper is attacked to reroll the die. If the viper is piloted, subtract 2 from the new roll.
3-5 Maximum Firepower: Action: Play while piloting a viper to attack up to 4 times.

Engineering (Blue)
1-2 Repair: Action: Repair your current location, or if you are in the "Hanger Deck" location, you may repair up to 2 damaged vipers.
3-5 Scientific Research: Play before cards are added to a skill check. All engineering cards in the skill check count as positive strength.

Titles

President
At the start of the game, draw 1 Quorum Card. You control the hand of Quorum Cards.
Action: Draw a Quorum Card into your hand.

Admiral
When the fleet jumps, you draw 2 Destination Cards and choose 1.
You control the nuke tokens.
Action: Launch 1 nuke at a basestar (the nuke is removed from the game).

Combat Table
pre:
Target          Attacker    Roll    Result  
Raider          any         3-8     Destroyed
Heavy/Centurion any         7-8     Destroyed
Viper           any         5-7     Damaged
                any         8       Destroyed
Galactica       Raider      8       Damaged
                Basestar    4-8     Damaged
Basestar        Viper       8       Damaged
                Galactica   5-8     Damaged
                Nuke        1-2     Damaged Twice
                            3-6     Destroyed
                            7-8     Destroyed +3 Raiders Destroyed
Lines of Succession

President:
  1. Laura Roslin
  2. Gaius Baltar
  3. Tom Zarek
  4. Lee "Apollo" Adama
  5. William Adama
  6. Karl "Helo" Agathon
  7. Galen Tyrol
  8. Sharon "Boomer" Valerii
  9. Saul Tigh
  10. Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

Admiral:
  1. William Adama
  2. Saul Tigh
  3. Karl "Helo" Agathon
  4. Lee "Apollo" Adama
  5. Kara "Starbuck" Thrace
  6. Sharon "Boomer" Valerii
  7. Galen Tyrol
  8. Tom Zarek
  9. Gaius Baltar
  10. Laura Roslin

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
##Make Me A Robot!

I had a Cool Robot Victory a couple years ago but I haven't played much BSG since.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
##Make Me A Robot!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
##Make me a Robot!. I have played a grand total of two (2) games IRL, so that should be fun.

OhHiMaahk
Jan 8, 2014
##Make Me a Robot! beep boop

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

#Make Me a Robot! I haven't played this by post but I've played it several times offline now

Parsifal
Jan 1, 2009

wel accually u forgot Dolan
##Make Me A Robot!
not new

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Gonna be busy tonight so I'll leave sign ups open a little longer, if need be I'll get the ol' randomiser out to decide players. I'm not having a 6 player Base game however, gently caress the Sympathiser rules.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

There's an alternate ruleset in the FAQ somewhere that takes out the sympathizer in exchange for slightly lowering the starting resources.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Ehh. Maybe. I'd rather run a 5 player game and give those who missed out priority next time.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Through the magic of random chance our crew is:

1) DaisyDanger
2) Klades
3) OhHiMaahk
4) Fat Samurai
5) Somberbrero

DaisyDanger is up first and may select a Political Leader, Military Leader, Pilot or Support. Everyone else is free to send in COs for your character choices and initial draws if you wish.

Brony Hunter fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 20, 2015

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Improviser, sorry you missed out. If you wish, I can put you on the shortlist for replacements should one be needed.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I want a little more to do that last time I played, so let's go with Starbuck and I'll draw 1 LEA, TAC, and PIL.

I think it's 3 cards, right? I'm on my phone right now so I can't easily look that up.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Starbuck is fine, but note you don't get a 3 card draw on your first turn - as the first player you instead have your character's normal 5 card draw. You can choose your first turn's variant draw (Either 1 LEA or 1 ENG) now, or wait until everyone has chosen their characters if you want.

Klades is up next and may choose a Political Leader, a Military Leader or Support.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Ok, sounds good. I'll wait to see what everyone else does in that case.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I haven't had a title in my offline games for a while so let's go with William Adama.
And give the old man 2 LEA 1 TAC

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Klades chooses Husker.

OhHiMaahk is up!

OhHiMaahk
Jan 8, 2014

Brony Hunter posted:

Klades chooses Husker.

OhHiMaahk is up!

I will go with ##Gaius Baltar and draw 2 POL,1 LEA

You can throw me in the brig already

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

OhHiMaahk picks the Doctor everyone can trust!

It's the turn of Fat Samurai now.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Let's add more trustworthy characters. Tom Zarek, 1 POL, 1 LEA, 1 TAC.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

A convicted criminal joins the crew, oh my!

Somberbrero, you're the last to pick!

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I suppose I'll take LEA.

And since I didn't say so earlier, I've only played this once before and it was on the forums with Brony Hunter. I may make some newbie mistakes. :shobon:

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Dammit I missed out. Make me a replacement option I guess.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'll be the big sad Chief.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

We have our repairman!

Somerbreo, please select your initial 3 card draw.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Somberbreo?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Pol/Lea/Lea

Sorry!

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

That's fine :)

In work tonight, will set up the board whenever I get home or maybe after I catch up on sleep

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Okay I've quickly sent everyone a PM with a link to your Hand and Loyalty - thanks to the wonders of science this link will should automatically update each turn, but let me know if and when something doesn't seem right! If for whatever reason you are unable to view Dropbox links, let me know and I can send you manual hand updates.

I won't be able to start the game until I get home, but can everyone please ##Confirm Loyalty and Hand Link, and/or let me know if you can't see it.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

##Loyalty confirmed

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

##Loyalty confirmed

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
##Loyalty confirmed

OhHiMaahk
Jan 8, 2014
##Loyalty Confirmed

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

##Loyalty Confirmed

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

All of this has happened before, and it will happen again...

Following a devastating, surprise attack on the Twelve Colonies by the Cylons, humanity was all but wiped out. The only known survivors are aboard the heavily outdated Battlestar Galactica, and a ragtag fleet of civilian ships. Admiral William Adama and his crew have fought desperately to evade the Cylons, in the hope to reach Kobol which may be the key to finding the mythical Thirteenth Colony known as Earth. As the military struggles daily to keep them safe, the terrified civilians of the fleet turn to the leadership of the famous, charismatic scientist; Doctor Gaius Baltar. Baltar is hastily sworn in as president despite opposition from former criminal and political activist, Tom Zarek. Whilst tensions run high within the fleet, the relentless Cylons besiege them and chase them tirelessly at every turn...

Turn 1.1: Starbuck (DaisyDanger) is the Current Player.

Starbuck (DaisyDanger) draws 1 LEA/2 TAC/2 PIL.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

If anyone has difficulty viewing images (for example if you're posting from a mobile device) I can give a summary of the game state in text as well if you wish, just let me know whenever.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Let's go ahead and hop in a Viper and move to sector 4!

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

BSG edit: I mean the viper in 5, though I think that's obvious based on where I want to move. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

To clarify, you're activating the Hangar Deck to launch in a new Viper in 5, then using your extra action to move to 4, correct? Or are you using Command to move the Viper in 5 to 4 (in which case you can activate an unmanned Viper of your choice again)? I'm guessing the first option, but just wanna make sure before I draw a Crisis :)

• Locked thread