Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FrozenVent posted:

Goddamnit western civilization.

quote:

Cruz, who had never traveled outside of the United States before, filed for his first passport as part of the trip, visited Kathmandu, Nepal; Khumjung Monastery; the Khumbu Glacier; and the Ubisoft Base Camp at Mt. Everest. The hiking enthusiast was familiar with the mountains of Utah but had never come face-to-face with the ridgelines of the Everest Himalayas, home to the world’s highest mountain peaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Someone with more skills needs to photoshop canadian woman onto the screen

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

quote:

Ubisoft Base Camp

The Sherpa sighed and mourned internally as he traversed The Verizon Icefalls.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

NaDy posted:

Someone with more skills needs to photoshop canadian woman onto the screen

Nah, I've seen this pose on Everest before...

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Wasabi the J posted:

Nah, I've seen this pose on Everest before...

Someone photoshop him playing Farcry 4

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

As someone who came within inches of dying on a mountain I implore you PS wizards. I need this.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Picnic Princess posted:

this is a much better idea

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Picnic Princess posted:

Best I could do in Pixlr at work...

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Wasabi the J posted:

Haha, amazing....

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

thatll do pig

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Wasabi the J posted:

yessssss

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer
Honestly I had to look twice at the original photo to make sure it wasn't a photoshop. The posture is remarkably similar.

Gotta be an omen of something. This year, the mountain claims a videogames nerd.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
To be fair it's not like they tried to get him to the summit, base camp is generally reasonably safe as long as you do your acclimatization properly on the way up and are willing to go down at the first sign of significant altitude issues. Pretty sure a few goons have been to base camp, you can book a tour there for a thousand dollars or whatever.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I hope that guy is now a landmark. Posed just like that.
e: of course I am beaten on this, of course.

Picnic Princess posted:

As someone who came within inches of dying on a mountain I implore you PS wizards. I need this.

And I need the story behind this, you can't come into the official Death By Mountain thread and not tell the story of your near-death by mountain.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I read through the op and the thread but did I miss when the official start comes? Obviously these shitbirds are camped below poo poo-mountain already but when can we expect more popsicles?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you've ever hiked up a real mountain, you've probably come within inches of dying on that mountain. I certainly have.

By which I mean, mountain trails tend to have steep dropoffs. Watch your step.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Beastie posted:

I read through the op and the thread but did I miss when the official start comes? Obviously these shitbirds are camped below poo poo-mountain already but when can we expect more popsicles?

Depends on when the Nepalese government gets their poo poo together re: climbing permits from last year carrying over.

edit: ...so, maybe soon I guess? But only if people come back with the same teams from last year, apparently.

http://www.ibtimes.com/nepal-renews-everest-permits-after-guides-deaths-caused-shutdown-1853496

quote:

Nepal said on Friday that it would allow mountaineers who were forced to abandon expeditions to Mount Everest when an avalanche incident led to the shutdown of the mountain in April last year. Ending months of uncertainty, the country said it will now allow the mountaineers to use their climbing permits until 2019.

The government will extend last year’s permits without charging new fees, Nepal’s tourism head Tulasi Gautam told the Associated Press (AP). The country has also cut climbing fees this year to $11,000 per climber from $25,000, AP reported.

Government officials have said they will accept the same permits again, but only if the expedition groups return with the same 39 teams for whom the permits had been issued. However, climbing groups said that organizing the same teams again on such short notice would be difficult.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 20, 2015

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

raditts posted:

And I need the story behind this, you can't come into the official Death By Mountain thread and not tell the story of your near-death by mountain.

Leperflesh posted:

If you've ever hiked up a real mountain, you've probably come within inches of dying on that mountain. I certainly have.

By which I mean, mountain trails tend to have steep dropoffs. Watch your step.

This is exactly it. I've told this story before on the forums, but it's kind of interesting so I'll tell again. I was on my way down from a fairly easy peak called East End of Rundle in the Canadian Rockies, and there was a thunderstorm approaching when I was still above treeline. I was trying to get back into the trees quickly at least before it hit because lightning is a major concern out in the open. There was a section of trail that traversed a cliff band that wasn't difficult at all, it was straight and flat, but it was a cliff band. Steep drop off on the left. There was a great view of a lake valley ahead of me and I was paying more attention to it than my feet. I was with my husband, who was walking ahead of me telling me a story about work. Just as he turned around to make some hand gestures, I strayed enough off the path that my foot stepped on the edge of the path and it crumbled away. I pretty much fell headfirst over the side of the cliff. I remember just saying fairly calmly "oh my god" and then a bunch of blurry moments as I tumbled head over heels down a rocky face. It was only 15 feet, but it felt a lot farther and longer than that.

When I stopped on a small ledge, I had lost my glasses, I was on my belly with my backpack pulled up over my head, and underneath a few big rocks. I still had my hiking poles strapped to my hands, which actually made things worse as I couldn't grab for anything to stop my fall. I was actually pretty calm. I heard my husband saying he was coming down to help me, and I gave instructions on what to do to help me sort myself out. "Take the poles off, move this rock pinning my shoulder and head, take off my pack, help me sit against the rocks over there."I asked if my glasses broke, but he had found them, and they were in tact aside from a couple scratches and chips. When I put them on and sat facing out over the valley, I saw where I was and loving froze. I was on a small ledge overlooking a 500 foot drop, and my feet had been hanging out over it. There was 100% no way I would have survived if I had gone over. I would have splattered.

I was pretty injured, but nothing broken. I had a huge gash in my head that soaked half my hair, half my face, and a bunch of my shirt in blood, and nearly every inch of me was scraped and/or bruised and/or cut. My right knee couldn't bend at all. My husband tried to get me to stand up to attempt to walk the rest of the way down but between the injuries and fear, I didn't feel like I could do it at all. There were a few places below where I would have to downclimb exposed rock faces. It would have been immensely dangerous, so we called for a rescue. A helicopter showed up to scope out the situation, and they decided that a heli-sling was the only safe option. The lowered a two-man team down, fitted me with a neckbrace, and strapped me onto a spineboard. Hooked me up to a cable hanging underneath the helicopter, and flew me to a nearby waiting ambulance. I was lowered onto a stretcher, and put into the back of the vehicle with a group of 4 guys. They tried for 20 minutes to get an IV in, but I was in shock and my veins were all shriveled up. Took all 4 on both arms to finally get it. They had gone back to get my husband, and he was waiting the whole time freaking out that something was seriously wrong in our car, which was at the same place as the ambulance was parked. When they finally managed to get the IV in, we raced into the closest town to the hospital.

I ended up with 10 stitches in my head, and another three in my leg where a rock had stabbed my shin. Because it's Canada, the entire rescue cost $25.00. There was a short newspaper article written about me, with one of the rescuers saying that "one more bounce and the fall would have been fatal."

When I was sitting on the ledge, I vowed to never summit another peak ever again. The next day, I figured that I probably would again, just not this year. A few days after that, I couldn't wait to start going again. It took 4 weeks to recover and feel normal again. 5 weeks after my fall, I was back on a summit. I just really love it, I couldn't stop. I ended up with a few big scars on my legs, my left knuckles that had been completely skinned off, and the one on my head which is like 2 or 3 inches long. One of these days I should shave my head just so I can see that bastard. It's raised up pretty far too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gosh. That's a great story.

I only meant that I had walked on mountain trails next to fatal dropoffs, I've never had a scare like yours. But it's definitely been the case that a lack of attention and a misstep could have killed me, and that's pretty much true for any mountain trail.

It's actually a problem for people who aren't accustomed to wilderness hiking, who then go for a hike somewhere like Yosemite. They get used to a sort of disneylandification, and it's made worse by what you find in the valley - paved trails with handrails, warning signs, all the normal trappings of OSHA-approved city life.

Then you start up the vernal falls/nevada falls trail, or up the yosemite falls trail, or (especially) the half dome trail, and within 20 minutes you are in places where inattention or even just very bad luck can kill you. People go up there with kids, with zero experience in wilderness, without adequate shoes or clothes or sometimes even without water, and every year a few of them get into serious trouble and many years, someone dies.

It's not super-dangerous if you've got the situational awareness and experience and focus. Many trails are available where you can do no more than maybe a little scrambling, some steep switchbacks, maybe five places in a five-mile stretch where you need to use your hands to overcome a minor obstacle, and then hey: you're at the top of a mountain! Anyone in decent physical shape can do it, it's really not the physical challenge so much as the mental switch between being in a place where societal rules and lawyers and construction standards etc. etc. have made things extremely safe, and being in a place where you're fully aware of how little mother nature gives a gently caress about your survival.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
yeah, people occasionally die on Snowdon, a mountain with a train that runs to the top.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

This is exactly it. I've told this story before on the forums, but it's kind of interesting so I'll tell again. I was on my way down from a fairly easy peak called East End of Rundle in the Canadian Rockies, and there was a thunderstorm approaching when I was still above treeline. I was trying to get back into the trees quickly at least before it hit because lightning is a major concern out in the open. There was a section of trail that traversed a cliff band that wasn't difficult at all, it was straight and flat, but it was a cliff band. Steep drop off on the left. There was a great view of a lake valley ahead of me and I was paying more attention to it than my feet. I was with my husband, who was walking ahead of me telling me a story about work. Just as he turned around to make some hand gestures, I strayed enough off the path that my foot stepped on the edge of the path and it crumbled away. I pretty much fell headfirst over the side of the cliff. I remember just saying fairly calmly "oh my god" and then a bunch of blurry moments as I tumbled head over heels down a rocky face. It was only 15 feet, but it felt a lot farther and longer than that.

When I stopped on a small ledge, I had lost my glasses, I was on my belly with my backpack pulled up over my head, and underneath a few big rocks. I still had my hiking poles strapped to my hands, which actually made things worse as I couldn't grab for anything to stop my fall. I was actually pretty calm. I heard my husband saying he was coming down to help me, and I gave instructions on what to do to help me sort myself out. "Take the poles off, move this rock pinning my shoulder and head, take off my pack, help me sit against the rocks over there."I asked if my glasses broke, but he had found them, and they were in tact aside from a couple scratches and chips. When I put them on and sat facing out over the valley, I saw where I was and loving froze. I was on a small ledge overlooking a 500 foot drop, and my feet had been hanging out over it. There was 100% no way I would have survived if I had gone over. I would have splattered.

I was pretty injured, but nothing broken. I had a huge gash in my head that soaked half my hair, half my face, and a bunch of my shirt in blood, and nearly every inch of me was scraped and/or bruised and/or cut. My right knee couldn't bend at all. My husband tried to get me to stand up to attempt to walk the rest of the way down but between the injuries and fear, I didn't feel like I could do it at all. There were a few places below where I would have to downclimb exposed rock faces. It would have been immensely dangerous, so we called for a rescue. A helicopter showed up to scope out the situation, and they decided that a heli-sling was the only safe option. The lowered a two-man team down, fitted me with a neckbrace, and strapped me onto a spineboard. Hooked me up to a cable hanging underneath the helicopter, and flew me to a nearby waiting ambulance. I was lowered onto a stretcher, and put into the back of the vehicle with a group of 4 guys. They tried for 20 minutes to get an IV in, but I was in shock and my veins were all shriveled up. Took all 4 on both arms to finally get it. They had gone back to get my husband, and he was waiting the whole time freaking out that something was seriously wrong in our car, which was at the same place as the ambulance was parked. When they finally managed to get the IV in, we raced into the closest town to the hospital.

I ended up with 10 stitches in my head, and another three in my leg where a rock had stabbed my shin. Because it's Canada, the entire rescue cost $25.00. There was a short newspaper article written about me, with one of the rescuers saying that "one more bounce and the fall would have been fatal."

When I was sitting on the ledge, I vowed to never summit another peak ever again. The next day, I figured that I probably would again, just not this year. A few days after that, I couldn't wait to start going again. It took 4 weeks to recover and feel normal again. 5 weeks after my fall, I was back on a summit. I just really love it, I couldn't stop. I ended up with a few big scars on my legs, my left knuckles that had been completely skinned off, and the one on my head which is like 2 or 3 inches long. One of these days I should shave my head just so I can see that bastard. It's raised up pretty far too.

This story is all people need to know as to why people climb and risk death for these insane mountains. There's just something in you that drives you to do it. Sure it might be a death wish, but damnit you're going to do it

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Glad you were in a place with good healthcare!

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Fatkraken posted:

yeah, people occasionally die on Snowdon, a mountain with a train that runs to the top.

Same thing with Mount Washington. There's a train, and a road to the top of the mountain, but if you hike up and get caught in bad weather (which can happen very quickly) you can die very easily.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
People die on table mountain in cape town every year. I've climbed it a bunch of times. It's 3558 feet but starts almost at sea level (maybe like 50-100 feet). You can climb it in one single hour, or less if you go up certain routes. I may have posted this in the last thread but I forgot. Anyway, you get such deaths as:
smoke inhalation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Table_Mountain_fire
falling judo experts: http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/western-cape/don-t-walk-alone-on-table-mountain-1.1763363#.VQx1c2TF-Uc
crushed to death: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/southafrica/1313154/Holiday-girl-crushed-to-death-by-cable-car.html
american diplomats falling to their death: http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/western-cape/us-diplomat-falls-to-his-death-during-hike-1.1622303#.VQx1cmTF-Uc
more falling americans: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/usa/7824632/World-Cup-2010-USA-fan-dies-on-Cape-Towns-Table-Mountain.html

If this is what happens on what I think is a super easy and safe mountain, I am surprised anyone manages to get up everest.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Similarly, people occasionally die on Ben Nevis, a peak people foot-race up in times just below 2 hours, and even has a pony trail to the summit.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 20, 2015

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

lets go in

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Zeike posted:

lets go in

:wth: no no nonononononono

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
My favorite trail to nearly die on is a stretch of the Pacific Crest Trail in Washington State called the "Kendall Katwalk." Back in the 70s, some hilarious engineer decided to blast a ledge out of nearly vertical rock as part of a PCT renovation project and probably as a show of force to to teach nature a lesson.

It's not actually that dangerous, but it'll give you vertigo, especially because it's one of the more popular PCT sections and passing people on the catwalk is trusting a stranger with your life. Not to mention that dogs and horses are allowed. I can't imagine passing a pack horse on the ledge. People snowshoe the route in winter too, and I assume that's because people in Washington get suicidal in winter.

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet
0_0

I had to do this to preserve my sanity:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

poo poo like that inspires a kind of visceral terror that nothing on else on earth can match. I would literally rather die than go into that hole.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

I am one of the dumb tourists nearly killing myself on a mountain in South Africa, only I managed to do it wearing flipflops and stepping 4 inches from a black mamba in the middle of nowhere, without phone reception.

I would like to put myself down for 23, of which 5 sherpas, or whatever number is the closest available.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Oh god that hole. Why why why.
I freaked out trying to get stuff out from under my bed when I was little, I can't imagine the idea of exhaling everything to fit through a hole in rock.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
this is my hole it was made for me

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
did i just watch a person kill themselves via hole

e: seriously though that hits every existential horror I have ever had.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
There's a whole 10+ minute video of various people trying to stuff themselves into that hole. It is apparently a backdoor orifice into a much larger cave that cavers like to explore. I am aware of how sexual all of this sounds, but it's true!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I find it really weird people freak out over that. The sky is over you and everything. Maybe I was made for spelunking and just found a new sport.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
This hole was made for me.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Bhodi posted:

I find it really weird people freak out over that. The sky is over you and everything. Maybe I was made for spelunking and just found a new sport.

Because no one wants to become trapped and starve to death over like a week in a dark cave like this guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Collins

Or get trapped in a cave with slowly rising water and no escape

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/what-lies-beneath-mossdale-caving-disaster-794268.html

Or to get stuck upside down in a hole, have rescuers lift you out, talk to your wife, then have the equpiment fail and you to fall back into the hole and get suffocated

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705347362/Man-trapped-in-Utah-Countys-Nutty-Putty-cave-dies.html?pg=all

Basically there's a lot of scenarions where you die alone in the dark, and if they find your body you're lucky

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Bhodi posted:

Tight spaces freak me the gently caress out. I think it's part of a natural thing most people have called "not wanting to die stuck in a hole."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Pawn 17 posted:

She was dumb as hell to be sure. The only thing is that when you have paid $40k, traveled half way across the world and are that close to the summit (and your brain isn't working properly) it's probably pretty hard to turn back and leave without ever making it.

Before even leaving, you'd have to be ready to accept paying all that money and spending all that time and failing; which I think many aren't.

It's called summit fever--it's a loving thing--and sometimes the most experienced mountaineers in the world fall victim to it and get themselves killed.

I mean, it happens and what the gently caress are the Sherpas going to do? Get in a wrestling match and drag people out of the death zone? Not loving likely. Once you're in the death zone you take your life into your own hands and its a bit of every man for themselves. The Sherpas should not be expected to stupidly put their own lives at risk when it becomes clear that is what it will take to get some wealthy Westerner to listen to them and save themselves.

I thought it was pretty chicken poo poo of the CBC in that documentary to try and place some blame on the company and its Sherpas she'd paid to guide her. Terrible things happen when you don't actually let your guides guide you and you're above 8,000 meters.

drat that documentary pissed me off.

• Locked thread